PDA

View Full Version : Playoff - Delany

Stoop Dawg
1/8/2007, 05:27 PM
"I would guess someday there would be a playoff," he said. "Someday."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This guy sounds like a money grubbing, under-the-table deal making hell-hound. But even he can't stem the rising tide of demand for a playoff.

Oh, and f*** the Big 10, Pac 10, and Rose Bowl.

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2007, 05:34 PM
My God that's long.

Stoop Dawg
1/8/2007, 05:40 PM
I quoted the most important part for you. ;)

Big Red Ron
1/8/2007, 05:48 PM
Family: Wife, Catherine; children, Newman, 17, and James Chancellor, 14.

Jeez, are you kidding me?

boomersooner82
1/8/2007, 06:10 PM
He sounds like a complete ***.

"If the public walks away from our games during the regular season and walks away from television during the regular season and walks away from the bowls, they're saying, We won't support this anymore. We want something else.' But I don't see them walking away from anything."

I think that's the nature of college football, that fans won't ever walk away from it. College football fans are just naturally loyal. Maybe more loyal than those of any other collegiate or professional sport in this country.

There will always be interest in the regular season playoff or not. You can't tell me the aggies would rest their starters against us if we both (somehow) had already clinched playoff berths by Thanksgiving weekend.

Someone needs to pry this guy's mouth off the Big Ten presidents' balls.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2007, 06:10 PM
'effin' Rose Bowl, anyway!

Stoop Dawg
1/8/2007, 06:21 PM
I think that's the nature of college football, that fans won't ever walk away from it. College football fans are just naturally loyal. Maybe more loyal than those of any other collegiate or professional sport in this country.

It's not loyalty, it's population growth. Of course attendance is going up, there are more people alive now than there ever has been. Universities are graduating more and more students every year.

Now, *if* there is some sort of analysis that indicates that attendance will drop if a playoff is instituted, then he may have a point. But just saying "Well, attendance is going up so everything must be fine" is just short-sighted. IMO, a company should always look for the MOST profits, not just growing profits. Why leave money on the table? What I gather from the article, however, is that even though college football in general would make more money under a playoff, the BCS conferences would possibly lose a little (i.e. the non-BCS conferences would be the big winners).

Undoubtedly the guy *should* have his mouth full of Big 10 President's balls. I'm just surprised he was able to negotiate such a swingin' deal for the Rose Bowl. Just goes to show how politically weak the Big 12, SEC, and the rest are.

OklahomaTuba
1/8/2007, 10:13 PM
Go ahead and have a playoff, and those conferences, teams and and bowls that don't want to be a part of the action can stay the **** out for all I care. Let em have their rose bowl and computer/sport writer MNC.

FaninAma
1/8/2007, 10:27 PM
Screw Delany. Let the Pac 10, Big 10 and Rose Bowl go play with each other.

Does anybody think Boise State couldn't have played with OSU?

OSU=overrated
Michigan=overrated.

It's scarey how close the championship came to being a total fraud perpetrated on college football with an OSU-Michigan rematch because of the succiness that is the BCS.