PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa's Kragthorpe expected to be new Louisville coach

The_Red_Patriot
1/8/2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/

Good for him.

Tulsa doesn't support the football program as it should.

OklahomaTuba
1/8/2007, 11:42 AM
Argh.

Tulsa is just too damn small to support it more than it does.

OklahomaTuba
1/8/2007, 11:43 AM
I wonder if they will promote Charlie Stubbs, or bring in someone else?

Whats Larry Coker doing these days?

yur-out
1/8/2007, 11:46 AM
Whats Larry Coker doing these days?
Hadn't thought about it, but that might be an excellent fit.

King Crimson
1/8/2007, 11:49 AM
i wouldn't mind seeing Coker on our staff (recruiting).

OklahomaTuba
1/8/2007, 11:50 AM
i wouldn't mind seeing Coker on our staff (recruiting).

Didn't we try that once?

I seem to remember it not working out too well. ;)

Paperclip
1/8/2007, 11:52 AM
Hadn't thought about it, but that might be an excellent fit.

Makes decent sense.

Mjcpr
1/8/2007, 12:06 PM
On the Sports Blitz last night, John Holcomb said Coker was a name that was being floated by some TU higher ups so that would be my guess as to who they get.

the-boulder
1/8/2007, 12:41 PM
I hope to God we don't hire Coker. He can't win in Miami, how can he win in Tulsa? Why do non-TU fans think he is a great fit? Is it becasue he's a nice guy from Oklahoma? Sorry folks, but that don't win football games. He took Miami from NC contender to MPC computer bowl.

I hope TU's admin learned its lesson with the John Phillips hire- don't hire the nice guy everybody likes because you want to be involved in a feel good sports story...

King Crimson
1/8/2007, 12:47 PM
University admins and PR people go into a bull moose mating rut anytime they think they can get their school (especially a regional one like TU) some national press and face-time.....like hiring Coker would.

they are all trying hump their desks right now thinking of ESPN running the story a brazillion times for a couple days. cooler heads may prevail....or maybe not.

King Crimson
1/8/2007, 12:48 PM
Didn't we try that once?

I seem to remember it not working out too well. ;)

you could be right.

OklahomaTuba
1/8/2007, 12:52 PM
Well, I am a TU fan & a TU Alum, and wouldn't mind at all seeing Coker walking the sidelines @ Skelly. They could do much, much worse IMO. (Keith Burns comes to mind)

However, I am also in favor of TU keeping with its tradition of finding that up and coming guy and giving him a chance to be a HC. Its worked well in the past, more than it hasn't worked. Just got to face the facts that TU isn't a destination, but a stepping stone.

Also wouldn't mind them keeping the old man, Charlie Stubbs either.

OUmillenium
1/8/2007, 12:54 PM
I would love to see Stubbs get a shot. Thanks for your time SK.

OklahomaTuba
1/8/2007, 12:56 PM
Well, Kraggy may not want to coach without Stubby at UL.

Collier11
1/8/2007, 01:26 PM
Ive heard that Butch Davis is going to hire Coker as OC...no links, just a rumor I heard. That would be great, remember that Coker is a Oklahoma guy and a great guy, he just got caught up in some bad situations

bri
1/8/2007, 01:35 PM
I hope to God we don't hire Coker. He can't win in Miami, how can he win in Tulsa?

Because C-USA isn't nearly as hard to compete and win in than the ACC.

I think Larry would do a good job at TU.

OklahomaTuba
1/8/2007, 02:10 PM
Sounds like TU may have already given Larry (or his agent rather) a call.

Sooner_Bob
1/8/2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9915692

snp
1/8/2007, 03:31 PM
That would be great, remember that Coker is a Oklahoma guy and a great guy, he just got caught up in some bad situations

Poor guy had all that first round talent and no brains to coach or discipline them :(

Collier11
1/8/2007, 03:34 PM
He has enough brains to be making alot more $ than you ever will I would imagine

OUstud
1/8/2007, 03:42 PM
I hope to God we don't hire Coker. He can't win in Miami, how can he win in Tulsa?

59-12 career isn't exactly not winning...

snp
1/8/2007, 03:47 PM
He has enough brains to be making alot more $ than you ever will I would imagine

Pretty sure you're deviating from the argument there. He still muffed up a great situation.

Also, in other news, Vince Young is smarter than Collier and myself.

Collier11
1/8/2007, 03:55 PM
TRUE TRUE...I forgot my winking smiley face so you probably assumed I was being rude but I didnt mean it that way. Ive seen better coaches lose control of teams before, ala barry switzer. All I was saying was that he is a good guy just as Barry switzer is and they just got caught up...so ya I feel bad for him.

Collier11
1/8/2007, 03:56 PM
Dont mistake that for me feeling sorry for him though and also dont forget that he is a bad call away from having 2 natl titles

GulfCoastBamaFan
1/8/2007, 06:36 PM
Steve Kragthorpe is a great fit for L'Ville. He's nothing but class, character and integrity and he deserves a shot at the big time.

Truth be told, I think the Cards got an upgrade. Petrino is a heck of a coach, but Kraggy has more integrity in his pinky than Petrino has in his whole body.

47straight
1/10/2007, 03:37 AM
Too bad Louisville aint the bigtime!

kevpks
1/10/2007, 04:00 AM
It doesn't matter if Louisville is "bigtime" or not. You can win a national title there. Look at how close they were this year. All they had to do was beat Rutgers and it would have been them in the national title game instead of Florida. Also, they get to go to the Orange Bowl as their conference champ. I am so ****ed off that the Big XII doesn't get the Orange Bowl.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 06:19 AM
IMO no one has ever controlled Miami for long, why do you think the Miami job is any better than Tulsa, they are both stepping stones, no ones coaches at Miami very long either.

royalfan5
1/10/2007, 08:49 AM
IMO no one has ever controlled Miami for long, why do you think the Miami job is any better than Tulsa, they are both stepping stones, no ones coaches at Miami very long either.
Yes, but every Miami Coach since Lou Saban has left for a higher paying pro coaching job until Coker(Counting your favoritiest coach ever resigning for a USFL gig that collasped before he took it) The previous two Tulsa coaches will never ever be head coaches again. There's the difference. That and the difference between a real league and the C-USA.

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 09:57 AM
Well, at least Larry will have a better stadium and more fans to coach in front of @ Tulsa. He also doesn't need that translator anymore.

Oh, and he doesn't have to risk being shot or gang raped in and around the stadium.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 02:09 PM
Yes, but every Miami Coach since Lou Saban has left for a higher paying pro coaching job until Coker(Counting your favoritiest coach ever resigning for a USFL gig that collasped before he took it) The previous two Tulsa coaches will never ever be head coaches again. There's the difference. That and the difference between a real league and the C-USA.

Yes I understand that but he is coming home, his personality didn't fit in at Miami and Tulsa would be like a promotion for him. The last two Tulsa coaches who won't get head coaching jobs again are like Miami coaches, if you don't win people won't hire you. Miami has had more coaches than probably anyone in the ACC...that doesn't happen at Elite programs

royalfan5
1/10/2007, 09:24 PM
Yes I understand that but he is coming home, his personality didn't fit in at Miami and Tulsa would be like a promotion for him. The last two Tulsa coaches who won't get head coaching jobs again are like Miami coaches, if you don't win people won't hire you. Miami has had more coaches than probably anyone in the ACC...that doesn't happen at Elite programs
Since 1979 Miami has 5 coaches counting Shannon. Your favorite guy, Johnson, Erickson, Davis, and Coker. That's not insane turnover, it's the same number of Coaches OU has had in the same time. Coker's coaching also didn't fit in Miami since they were bad and he lost control of the team. If Tulsa's lucky they get out of Coker what Ohio gets out of Solich.