PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll to the Dolphins?

westcoast_sooner
1/8/2007, 11:14 AM
Saw this in the paper this morning...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/16407426.htm

Boomer.....
1/8/2007, 11:23 AM
I don't understand why these college coaches are trying to move up to the NFL. Almost every one of them fails and within 2-3 years is back coaching a lesser team in college. The pay is basically the same in college as it is in the NFL.

FaninAma
1/8/2007, 11:24 AM
It all depends on whether Petey C. is feeling any heat from the NCAA.

Everyone will be watching how the NCAA handles the Reggie Bush siutation. If USC skates with little or no punishment I think it will severaly impair the NCAA's ability to ever punish or investigate other programs in the future since the primary tactic used by USC, the agents that paid Bush's family and Bush himself to thwart the NCAA has been to ignore information requests from the investigators.

If that defense flies then the NCAA will never get any cooperation from other programs.

Fraggle145
1/8/2007, 11:26 AM
We can only hope...

Sooner in Tampa
1/8/2007, 11:43 AM
Peter is an egomanic (reportedly) and if that is true, then one has to believe that one day he is going to get back into the NFL game to take care of his "legacy" since things did not go so well during his previous stint.

Then again...he is pretty much untouchable as the Head Condom, so why go elsewhere?

bluesmagoo
1/8/2007, 12:06 PM
Adios, amingo.

westcoast_sooner
1/8/2007, 12:09 PM
Well, that was pretty much my thinking as well. He WAS an NFL coach and things didn't go all that well for him. He goes to lala land and gets to hang with movie stars and gets pretty much any recruit he wants. he wins a MNC. his stock is not going to be any higher.

He goes to Costa Rica for vacation, and gets Huizenga to fly down to meet with him. I'm guessing Huizenga doesn't make that trip if he doesn't think he'll be able to make the deal happen - otherwise, a phone call would do.

I can see this happening.

tbl
1/8/2007, 12:14 PM
The only reason I see him going is possible sanctions coming down on USC. If that happens, he's out.

RedstickSooner
1/8/2007, 01:58 PM
It'd be pretty funny to see Petey boy go. One would think he'd be crazy to leave -- as has been frequently pointed out, guy was a *horrible* NFL coach.

'Course, you'd also think they'd be crazy to take him.

I'll never truly understand how the NFL approaches coaching decisions.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2007, 02:08 PM
I will giggle if suc has to give up their NC after whacking us!

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2007, 05:20 PM
Peter is an egomanic (reportedly)...

I've heard that's the only reason Chow left, because Peter thought Norm was getting to much credit for their success; therefore, he told him to take a hike.

Rocker
1/8/2007, 05:40 PM
The only reason I see him going is possible sanctions coming down on USC. If that happens, he's out.

There will a spring time announcement regarding USC.

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2007, 05:41 PM
There will a spring time announcement regarding USC.

And...

Fraggle145
1/10/2007, 10:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2725843

update...

TheUnnamedSooner
1/10/2007, 10:55 AM
I bet he leaves.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/10/2007, 10:58 AM
Hmm, leaves a message with the AD. Just a message? Doesn't he have to get permission or something?

SoonerStormchaser
1/10/2007, 11:59 AM
Pete's been going Sabanesque the last few days and saying he's staying at SUCC.

oumartin
1/10/2007, 12:05 PM
no, he has not been saying he is staying, he said he likes it there and expects to be there..

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 12:39 PM
I hope he goes to the NFL and fails miserably.

oumartin
1/10/2007, 12:49 PM
I hope he succeeds and stays the crap away from the college game

OUMedMan
1/10/2007, 01:28 PM
Okay, kids, let me explain do you what's playing out here with Carroll and the NFL.

1) Miami's owner probably would like to have Carroll as a coach. But that's not going to happen. But the Miami owner probably also would like to get Carroll's recommendations concerning other coaches. So he offers Carroll, say, $50,000 for four hours of consultation. And so they talk for four hours, and Carroll tells him that he needs to get so and so as a coach, and he needs to structure his organization such and so. The Miami owner also makes Carroll and offer, which Carroll turns down, for reasons to be discussed.

2) Carroll gets to make an easy $50,000 for four hours of talk. But more than that, he gets to highlight again that this year, like every year in the past four, the pros are willing to offer him big bucks to go back to the NFL. This serves too purposes;

#3), it's useful when his agent suggests to USC that Carroll deserves a bit of a raise -- perhaps to match what Miami offered him.

#4) It's also very valuable when recruiting kids who think they have a shot at playing in the pros -- here's a coach who besides winning national championships is a coach so coveted that the NFL yearly offers to make him the highest paid coach in pro football if he would only come back to the No Fun League.

#5) But he's having so much fun at USC that he doesn't want to go. And if you are a recruit, if you go to USC you will also have an incredible amount of fun, besides being coached by the most prized football coach in all of football - both in the college ranks and the NFL.

#6) Meanwhile, Carroll stays at USC and winds up with a legacy that exceeds Bud Wilkerson, Bear Byrant, Woody Hayes, John McKay, Joe Paterno, etc. And while speaking of legacy, what pro coach has a bigger legacy than this group? Chuck Noll may have been a great coach, but he's certainly not held with same reverence as Wilkerson, Bryant, Hayes, etc.

#7) So the conclusion -- don't hold your breath about Carroll leaving USC. He knows he has a great thing going, and he's no fool.

#8) If you don't want USC to win a NC every year or three, you had better direct your efforts at fervent prayer that the NCAA will decide to punish USC for things that are completely out of their control -- like the Reggie Bush situation. I suppose the NCAA could rule that because Reggie Bush won't talk to them in 2007, than Oklahoma actually is the winner of the Orange Bowl and gets the 2004 national championship.

Of course, if that happens they will probably be a huge lawsuit that the NCAA will lose, and Oklahoma will be subject to further scorn for the game that shall not be mentioned.

oumartin
1/10/2007, 01:40 PM
genius

FaninAma
1/10/2007, 02:12 PM
How was the Reggie Bush situation out of Carrol's and USC's control? Does Carrol just bury his head in the sand when he professes to not know what's going on with the star players on the team? The situation with Bush's parents living in a house went on for months if not years. Same goes for the Jarret sweetheart deal with Leinert's dad.

Stoops and OU were aware of the AD situation with the car after a few weeks.

At some point the distractions of Southern California and LA added to Pete Carrol's "hands off" approach will land the program in hot water much like it did Miami's.

Boomer.....
1/10/2007, 02:19 PM
They just said that Jarrett announced that he is going pro. I wonder if that is saying something.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2725996

tulsaoilerfan
1/10/2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah it says he's fixing to make a truckload of $

Fraggle145
1/10/2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah it says he's fixing to make a truckload of $

ZING

tbl
1/10/2007, 02:34 PM
All of MedMans well thought out, lucid, intelligent, long post is moot if USC gets sanctions (which it should).

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2007, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=OUMedMan]Okay, kids, let me explain do you what's playing out here with Carroll and the NFL.

#6) Meanwhile, Carroll stays at USC and winds up with a legacy that exceeds Bud Wilkerson, Bear Byrant, Woody Hayes, John McKay, Joe Paterno, etc. And while speaking of legacy, what pro coach has a bigger legacy than this group? Chuck Noll may have been a great coach, but he's certainly not held with same reverence as Wilkerson, Bryant, Hayes, etc.
QUOTE]

You have been drinking,right?

USC had been real good under Carroll, but right now his legacy doesn't exceed Stoops, Saban,Meyer or even ughhh :mack: let alone be considered one of the games all-time greats. Maybe if/when he has multiple NCs.

He probably stays in college because his pro coaching career made Spurrier's look pretty good. He might take the pro-job out of ego because he doesn't want his legacy to be as a clown of an NFL coach but I figure he winds up angling this for a fat raise from USC.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 02:52 PM

Who the hell is Bud Wilkerson?

:rolleyes:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2007, 02:54 PM
Who the hell is Bud Wilkerson?

:rolleyes:

He is that tea cozee that my aunt used to kill a spider.

props
1/10/2007, 09:35 PM
let carroll stay. i'm ready for a rematch.

bluedogok
1/10/2007, 10:05 PM
Hmm, leaves a message with the AD. Just a message? Doesn't he have to get permission or something?
Nope, not for college to pro or pro to college.

#8) If you don't want USC to win a NC every year or three, you had better direct your efforts at fervent prayer that the NCAA will decide to punish USC for things that are completely out of their control -- like the Reggie Bush situation. I suppose the NCAA could rule that because Reggie Bush won't talk to them in 2007, than Oklahoma actually is the winner of the Orange Bowl and gets the 2004 national championship.

Of course, if that happens they will probably be a huge lawsuit that the NCAA will lose, and Oklahoma will be subject to further scorn for the game that shall not be mentioned.
I would bet the NC would just be vacated and left at that....or Bama will claim it :D

zeke
1/10/2007, 10:07 PM
peter is staying at usc

Sooner in Tampa
1/10/2007, 10:17 PM
peter is staying at uscI am pretty sure that you are correct sir.

85sooners
1/10/2007, 11:37 PM
:pop:

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2007, 01:21 AM
so what you are saying is the peter stays in the condom?

FrostySooner
1/11/2007, 04:38 AM
He's just trying to become the highest payed coach in the NCAA. Saban is making the big $$$ at Bama, Carroll is p***ed and wants to be considered the best coach in CFB. He's pulling a Rodriguez on USuCk.

lcaldwell1
1/11/2007, 04:04 PM
I really hope he leaves...if he takes the dolphins job the recruits should be decommiting faster than carroll can sign his contract...maybe we could get a few of those guys...anyone know if we were in on any of the guys that committted to usc

Desert Sapper
1/11/2007, 04:10 PM
so what you are saying is the peter stays in the condom?

Peter got succ'd back into the condom. :D

God I hope we can beat him down one year. Nothing would vindicate the GOWWDNS like humiliating the condoms. 2008 in the OB. Mark it down. ;)

Oldnslo
1/11/2007, 08:56 PM
Okay, kids, let me explain do you what's playing out here with Carroll and the NFL.

1) Miami's owner probably would like to have Carroll as a coach. But that's not going to happen. But the Miami owner probably also would like to get Carroll's recommendations concerning other coaches. So he offers Carroll, say, $50,000 for four hours of consultation. And so they talk for four hours, and Carroll tells him that he needs to get so and so as a coach, and he needs to structure his organization such and so. The Miami owner also makes Carroll and offer, which Carroll turns down, for reasons to be discussed.

2) Carroll gets to make an easy $50,000 for four hours of talk. But more than that, he gets to highlight again that this year, like every year in the past four, the pros are willing to offer him big bucks to go back to the NFL. This serves too purposes;

#3), it's useful when his agent suggests to USC that Carroll deserves a bit of a raise -- perhaps to match what Miami offered him.

#4) It's also very valuable when recruiting kids who think they have a shot at playing in the pros -- here's a coach who besides winning national championships is a coach so coveted that the NFL yearly offers to make him the highest paid coach in pro football if he would only come back to the No Fun League.

#5) But he's having so much fun at USC that he doesn't want to go. And if you are a recruit, if you go to USC you will also have an incredible amount of fun, besides being coached by the most prized football coach in all of football - both in the college ranks and the NFL.

#7) So the conclusion -- don't hold your breath about Carroll leaving USC. He knows he has a great thing going, and he's no fool.

With their #1 pick he will choose, who else. . . . .Vince Young!!!!

It will be a natural match, with Young being from the Houston area and both of them being Longhorns.

With Young at quarterback, David Carr will be shopped for probably a starter from another team and a first round draft choice.

The Texans will probably sell 30,000 season tickets once the anouncement is made (following the Rose Bowl, of course) and will be able to pay for both Mack Brown's and Vince Young's contracts before the season even starts.

I guess it was the "kids" comment that struck me wrong. I don't know that you were intending to sound like a tool, but I read it that way. So, when I read the rest of your full-of-conjecture diatribe passed off as insider information, I researched your posts.

You're 0-fer, beyotch.

Maybe it's me. Been a nutbuster of a day and my eye still hurts.

OKC-SLC
1/11/2007, 09:17 PM
Bud Wilkerson was my favorite OU coach.

OUinFLA
1/11/2007, 10:08 PM
I guess it was the "kids" comment that struck me wrong. I don't know that you were intending to sound like a tool, but I read it that way. So, when I read the rest of your full-of-conjecture diatribe passed off as insider information, I researched your posts.

You're 0-fer, beyotch.

Maybe it's me. Been a nutbuster of a day and my eye still hurts.

dang, you're just not that slo.

and you know how I feel about old.