PDA

View Full Version : OSU's Bowman to play basketball

Boomer.....
1/8/2007, 09:31 AM
OSU is so short handed that they are playing football players

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2723764

Updated: Jan. 7, 2007, 9:41 PM ET
Bowman looking to fill voids on basketball teamAssociated Press

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Adarius Bowman, a wide receiver on the Oklahoma State football team, has joined the Cowboy basketball squad, head coach Sean Sutton said Sunday.

Sutton said head football coach Mike Gundy supports Bowman's desire to join OSU's 12th-ranked basketball team.

"Adarius is obviously an outstanding athlete and will definitely help us with our depth situation," said Sutton.

Bowman, 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, was named All-Big 12 first team on the football field last season after racking up 1,181 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Bowman said he played basketball growing up and loves the game. Bowman was a finalist for the Mr. Basketball award for Division II in Tennessee and won the title of Mr. Football in his senior year. He also led Notre Dame High School to the state Final Four his sophomore and senior seasons.

"I'm not trying to be the leading scorer or anything like that. I've got good jumping ability, so if they want me to rebound, or play defense, or whatever they want me to do, I'll do it," Bowman said.

Sutton said Bowman will begin practicing with the basketball team on Monday.

Rhino
1/8/2007, 10:00 AM
I heard about this last night and it has to be one of the most boneheaded things I've ever heard.

I understand Bowman wants to play and help out and all that - but how either of the coaches (obviously more blame goes to Gundy) would allow him to play is crazy.

If Bowman has another year like last year, he's a first round NFL guy. Why even chance that by playing spare minutes at a game he hasn't played since high school? One false move and a blown knee or torn ankle ligaments later, and it may all be over. It's not worth it.

If he wasn't a starter, a star or a to-be senior, I'd say good on him. But, as it is, it's a very stupid decision.

southern sooner
1/8/2007, 10:10 AM
I am surprised he isnt entering the draft this year...

orangekaje
1/8/2007, 10:38 AM
If Bowman has another year like last year, he's a first round NFL guy. Why even chance that by playing spare minutes at a game he hasn't played since high school? One false move and a blown knee or torn ankle ligaments later, and it may all be over. It's not worth it.

Bowman plays pickup basketball all the time (tt's his favorite sport). Gundy, Sutton and staff decided it would be safer to play with them in a more controllable environment than to play pickup games.

Bowman will be suited up for the OSU vs Kansas game on Wednesday. Everyone remember what Bowman did the last time he was in Lawrence?

sooner518
1/8/2007, 10:41 AM
I am surprised he isnt entering the draft this year...
im surprised he hasnt already won 3 Heismans

Boomer.....
1/8/2007, 10:46 AM
Everyone remember what Bowman did the last time he was in Lawrence?
Not even in the same boat.

Rhino
1/8/2007, 10:49 AM
Bowman will be suited up for the OSU vs Kansas game on Wednesday. Everyone remember what Bowman did the last time he was in Lawrence? Touchdowns don't count in basketball.

Ash
1/8/2007, 11:02 AM
I heard about this last night and it has to be one of the most boneheaded things I've ever heard.

I understand Bowman wants to play and help out and all that - but how either of the coaches (obviously more blame goes to Gundy) would allow him to play is crazy.

If he wasn't a starter, a star or a to-be senior, I'd say good on him. But, as it is, it's a very stupid decision.

He better not go anywhere near Longar Longar's elbows. :eek:

orangekaje
1/8/2007, 11:11 AM
Touchdowns don't count in basketball.

What if he spikes the ball through the basket? :confused:

bri
1/8/2007, 11:14 AM
Makes sense...if you go out for enough sports, you'll eventually beat OU.

setem
1/8/2007, 11:34 AM
Makes sense...if you go out for enough sports, you'll eventually beat OU.

That mad me laugh. Nice call!

Who are you guys kidding he is the new AD remember?

I hope he breaks his stupid legs and any hopes of the NFL go down the drain!

fadada1
1/8/2007, 11:53 AM
Bowman plays pickup basketball all the time (tt's his favorite sport). Gundy, Sutton and staff decided it would be safer to play with them in a more controllable environment than to play pickup games.

apparently you've never watched an NCAA basketball game. things are just slightly more intense than said pickup game at the livestock stables. and i'm sure he dominates in pickup games... that won't happen when he plays against OTHER DIVISION 1 ATHLETES!!!!!

royalfan5
1/8/2007, 12:24 PM
NU has had this happen in the past. Wilson Thomas was a starting WR and led the basketball team in rebounding. Matt Davidson played a couple years as a basketball reserve too. Michigan State had power forward that also played tight end, and Jordon Kent at Oregon lettered in three sports. An athletic enough guy can contribute in just about any sport. I say good for him.

Ash
1/8/2007, 12:52 PM
Tony Gonzalez

OUmillenium
1/8/2007, 12:57 PM

Bowman will be suited up for the OSU vs Kansas game on Wednesday. Everyone remember what Bowman did the last time he was in Lawrence?

Testical tickling?

OSUAggie
1/8/2007, 01:13 PM
RW McQuarters and Alonzo Mayes both played basketball in 1997. They ended up in the NFL (1 a bit longer than the other). It's not that big of a deal.

Collier11
1/8/2007, 01:23 PM
Not a big deal, and while D1 basketball is more physical than pick up ball, you are WAY more likely to get hurt playing pick-up ball...TRUST ME! There are no refs, and usually idiots out there that have no idea how to play just swinging elbows or arms or under-cutting people. IN the last 6 months, I had my bottom teeth almost knocked through my lip, nearly snapped my right ankle(how I didnt I have no idea), was undercut and almost fell on my head, and got elbowed in the face numerous times...almost all because of idiots

orangekaje
1/8/2007, 01:39 PM
apparently you've never watched an NCAA basketball game. things are just slightly more intense than said pickup game at the livestock stables. and i'm sure he dominates in pickup games... that won't happen when he plays against OTHER DIVISION 1 ATHLETES!!!!!

He just joined the 10th ranked team in the nation after practicing with our players. If he couldn't play, he wouldn't be on the team. Period. And like he states in the article, he's not joining the team to "dominate." He's joining to contribute.

I hope he breaks his stupid legs and any hopes of the NFL go down the drain!

Classy. :rolleyes:

SleestakSooner
1/8/2007, 01:43 PM
I am just trying to figure out why this thread is in this section. OS Who? What is baseketball? :rolleyes:

picasso
1/8/2007, 01:54 PM

a very large percentage of college athletes do this.

the year we got jobbed against KU in the finals, they had a walk-on from the football team playing point guard. the bastards.

picasso
1/8/2007, 01:56 PM
I remember the last thing he did against us. he dropped a potential game winning pass.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/8/2007, 02:03 PM
I know this is the football board but our hoops team has depth issues too now that Keith Clark is hurt. I wouldn't mind one bit if Holmes or Tennel played. I know Bradford can hoop too but I would never want to see a QB playing hoops.

picasso
1/8/2007, 02:05 PM
I know this is the football board but our hoops team has depth issues too now that Keith Clark is hurt. I wouldn't mind one bit if Holmes or Tennel played. I know Bradford can hoop too but I would never want to see a QB playing hoops.
we may not win a game in the league.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/8/2007, 02:12 PM
we may not win a game in the league.

We might not, but I think we are more likely somewhere around 6-10, maybe 7-9. The team plays hard but doesn't have the overall talent that teams in the past have had but the core of the team is young and with next year's recuiting class could be back in the mix in a year or two. Not saying adding one of the FB players to the roster addresses anything other that depth but Stoops has gone on record in the past that he has no problem with players playing multiple sports if they can handle it (Brandon Jones for one). Of course if very well could affect the player in Spring practice so few really consider it.

Collier11
1/8/2007, 02:14 PM
we will be hard-pressed to go 7-9...I thinking somewhere around 5-11 or 4-12. I hate to say it, but who are we gonna beat on the road?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/8/2007, 02:38 PM
I know this is hoops stuff but..

I think 7-9 probably is about a best case scenario with winning all the games the team should and maybe stealing one. 6-10 most likely. 5-11 would be possible but still slightly underachieving.

Colo, Bay, TT, Neb All should be wins at home...should win at least 3, maybe 4

@MU,@ISU,@KSU,Tex, A&M,OSU,@Bay Should be able to win at least 2 of those games, maybe 3.

@A&M,@OSU, @Tex,KU, All most likely L's

It's a down year no doubt but we will have 2-3 games that we shoot lights out, hopefully they come at the right time.

MiccoMacey
1/8/2007, 02:44 PM
There is an entire board for basketball discussions.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/8/2007, 02:46 PM
There is an entire board for basketball discussions.
Plus part of one thread on the football board. :D

picasso
1/8/2007, 03:06 PM
actually the initial post involves football.

OSUAggie
1/8/2007, 03:13 PM
Well everyone knows, as in life, conversations must stay on the main topic and not evolve into anything else.

Collier11
1/8/2007, 03:35 PM
Heaven forbid

picasso
1/8/2007, 03:45 PM
Heaven forbid
take the religious talk to the south oval.

Collier11
1/8/2007, 03:58 PM
Ill pray for you on my way

setem
1/8/2007, 04:49 PM
If AD had played bball everyone knows people would being calling him an idiot.

It is stupid for a kid with that kinda talent to be messing around with basketball.

Sure help out the school or whatever but is it really worth the risk?

He is gonna get hurt and blow his draft status!

If he does get hurt he deserves it...osu player or not!

Collier11
1/8/2007, 05:04 PM
If he does get hurt he deserves it...osu player or not!

That is the statement of an idiot! YOu know, some people care about more than $. For you to say that he deserves it if he gets hurt is rediculous

orangekaje
1/8/2007, 07:12 PM
What he said ^^^

How is he anymore willing to get hurt than in football practice, jogging, or doing whatever? Especially when he plays pickup basketball.

That makes as much sense as saying a good basketball player shouldn't play basketball because they may get injured and not get to play basketball for a living.

Bowman's favorite sport is basketball so he wants to play. If he hurts himself, he hurts himself. He'll heal. How often do you even hear of career ending injuries anyways? Not often.

goingoneight
1/8/2007, 09:33 PM
Well, if they weren't showboating so much, they'd have no injuries... :rolleyes:

:D