PDA

View Full Version : Texas hired new co-DC

Paperclip
1/7/2007, 11:00 PM
And he's a Sooner!

Link (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=2726&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2)

BIG_IKE
1/7/2007, 11:13 PM
He's got an impressive resume...
I remember those Desert Swarm days...

Thats funny..our biggest rival has alot of OU ties..

Darrel Royal went to OU
this Mac Duff guy played for OU
Mack Brown Coached at OU before Texas..

and then you have all the players we get from Texas, and to top that off the Dallas Cowboys hired one of our greatest Coaches in Barry Switzer.

Makes for an interesting Texas-Oklahoma Rivalry..

Octavian
1/7/2007, 11:15 PM
And he's a Sooner!

figures...the trend continues.

aero
1/7/2007, 11:52 PM
I think its a prerequisite to be hired at texas that your name have a "mac" in it. McWilliams, Mackovic, Mac McWhorter, Mac Duff, Macbrown,..........

Ash
1/7/2007, 11:58 PM
It made me think of Suds McDuff

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1990/sudspc1.jpg

AzianSooner
1/8/2007, 12:56 AM
It a way to get back revenge on OU. They use sooners to help whorns to defeat almighty sooners.

utex74
1/8/2007, 12:58 AM
figures...the trend continues.

He's just trying to redeem himself for his sooner years. :) It's only fair. You take our players but we hire them back as coaches! But that aside, I am really stoked about the hire, especially with his background of working with Akina, which will stop any of the "stuff" which some report occurred with Chizik. They have a background of working together and that is great!

royalfan5
1/8/2007, 08:45 AM
Does that mean that the Horns are going to shift to more of a flex defense?

OUmillenium
1/8/2007, 10:28 AM
They will shift to a "won't bend because it's broke" style of defense.

westcoast_sooner
1/8/2007, 11:25 AM
This guy must not have had ANYTHING to do with the Niner's defense that gave up 34, 38, 41(twice) and 48 points.

Partial Qualifier
1/8/2007, 12:04 PM
Who's their other co-DC?

edit: oh, nevermind. Duane Akina.

Herr Scholz
1/8/2007, 01:17 PM
This guy must not have had ANYTHING to do with the Niner's defense that gave up 34, 38, 41(twice) and 48 points.
He didn't. He was the special teams coach there.

I like this hire. The raport Akina and Mac Duff have will be an improvement. Akina and Chizik may have been a case this year of having too many cooks for one pot. I know our LBs will be playing better now and we'll be more aggressive on D, blitzing a WHOLE lot more. Chizik stuck to his 4:3 vanilla base sometimes to a fault.

caphorns
1/8/2007, 03:23 PM
Akina will call the plays.

We've been using variations of the old Desert Swarm defense ever since Tomey was around. Chizik wasn't really in line with this though. I suspect our D will be much more like the 2003 version.

Paperclip
1/8/2007, 03:25 PM
I suspect our D will be much more like the 2003 version.

That would be awesome!! We haven't broken 60 in a while.

OUstud
1/8/2007, 03:44 PM
Can his nickname be Hilary?

Widescreen
1/8/2007, 03:50 PM
We also haven't had Jason White in awhile. :(

BASSooner
1/8/2007, 03:59 PM
Ever since this hire, Chizik has been looked as a negative on this thread as of so far. Are you horns stating that chizik was just not that good or did his style never really fit into the texas defense during his era at UT?

picasso
1/8/2007, 04:02 PM
the crime dog?

hope he doesn't play golf.

Herr Scholz
1/8/2007, 04:13 PM
Ever since this hire, Chizik has been looked as a negative on this thread as of so far. Are you horns stating that chizik was just not that good or did his style never really fit into the texas defense during his era at UT?
Something was amiss. Certainly giving up 45 points to KSU was a red flag. Fact is our LBs were pretty mediocre this year (couldn't stop the aggy rushing game without committing safeties to do it). I think it was a case of our D having one boss too many (analogy of Venables + Pelini maybe?). Akina and Chizik weren't really on the same page. Hopefully with these 2 guys having worked together before (Akina in secondary and Mac Duff with LBs), there'll be more continuity.

That's my hope anyway.

OSUAggie
1/8/2007, 04:18 PM
I know a Texas grad that should find another DC job, maybe you can take him instead.

SoonerMom2
1/8/2007, 04:27 PM
He didn't. He was the special teams coach there.

I like this hire. The raport Akina and Mac Duff have will be an improvement. Akina and Chizik may have been a case this year of having too many cooks for one pot. I know our LBs will be playing better now and we'll be more aggressive on D, blitzing a WHOLE lot more. Chizik stuck to his 4:3 vanilla base sometimes to a fault.

I like how a Texas fan goes negative on the only DC this century who was able to beat Oklahoma, win a Big XII title and win the NC. Yes, you are much better off without him.

Herr Scholz
1/8/2007, 05:35 PM
How did our D look this season when we only had to beat one out of two patsies to seal up the Big XII South? Especially against KSU?

utex74
1/8/2007, 09:08 PM

There was "talk" of some friction later in the season. His philosophy was in conflict with Aquina's. Plus, Chizik coached the linebackers, who were so poor at stopping the run he had Aquina use his secondary for run support first. This made them very vulnerable to play action passes and trick plays which burned them all year. More friction. Also, it looks like he was talking to Iowa State during prep for the A&M game. Just a lot of "stuff" that is being talked about and influencing some people's opinions. Mack's hiring of a coach who has worked with Aquina in the past with similar philosophies looks like a fix for what the rumors say happened this year. They know each other very well and work together very well. I like the hire a lot.

kevpks
1/8/2007, 11:36 PM
Chizick's track record:

Auburn 2004- undefeated
Texas 2005- undefeated
Texas 2006- got beat by #1, forced 6 turnovers against the Sooners, one horrible game against KSU, only gave up 12 to A&M.

Yes, he sucks bad. With him gone the Horns can return to the dominance they showed on defense in 2000 and 2003 in Dallas next year.

utex74
1/9/2007, 12:45 AM
Chizick's track record:

Auburn 2004- undefeated
Texas 2005- undefeated
Texas 2006- got beat by #1, forced 6 turnovers against the Sooners, one horrible game against KSU, only gave up 12 to A&M.

Yes, he sucks bad. With him gone the Horns can return to the dominance they showed on defense in 2000 and 2003 in Dallas next year.

Didn't say he sucked. He is a great coach. But like great players, even great coaches can sometimes become a distraction to a team and create conflicts making it more about them than the team. And the play action and option passes burned us all year with the secondary having to help the linebackers, creating a conflict with the secondary getting trashed for giving up big plays when they had been ordered to play the run first. I wish him all success at ISU, except when they play the Horns. I think we'll be OK.

TJKDone
1/9/2007, 08:06 AM

Hopefully not anytime soon either;)

He looks like an awesome hire, but Mack has proven to be among the very best at replacing assistants with equally good coaches.

This guy has tons of experience coaching defenses on the highest level in CFB. He has seen the pro game for many years.

A new set of ideas and a certain chemistry with existing coaches. We are happy in Longhorn land on this one...across the board. That is saying a mouthful with our fanbase.

Hook'em

stoopified
1/9/2007, 11:11 AM
I think its a prerequisite to be hired at texas that your name have a "mac" in it. McWilliams, Mackovic, Mac McWhorter, Mac Duff, Macbrown,..........Thats just Mc Crazy. .

47straight
1/10/2007, 03:43 AM
You take our players

Sigh. They are not YOUR players. Just because they live in the same state, doesn't make them yours. aTm, Tech, Rice the froggies and ponies can make the claim too.