PDA

View Full Version : Weird goings on for OU in 2006

the_edge
1/7/2007, 10:02 PM
With AD - 4-3
Without AD - 7-0

With AD against teams with winning records - 1-3
Without AD against teams with winning records - 4-0

I believe the team tried harder and the coaches tried harder when AD was hurt. Negspek me if you wish, but I think OU used AD as a crutch his entire career.

Even if he's the best ever, you can't run him into the ground between the tackles every play and expect him to make miracles.

Where was the stretch play against BSU? Where was the flip toss? Yes, AD is capable of running over defenders, but his primary ability is to outrun their asses.

If Kevin Wilson wants an explosive, violent back that can run it between the tackles, he's got that in Patrick for 2007.

Adios AD, we shall miss you (maybe :P).

BASSooner
1/7/2007, 10:04 PM
I understand completely. When AD is on the field, he is THE weapon of choice for the majority of plays and the team is focused on him. It is strange but OUr team does seem to be more successful on the field without him(not even talking about record). OUr line seems to block, we execute and get things done on both sides of the ball.

OUstud
1/7/2007, 10:16 PM
Ewing theory?

All_Day_28
1/7/2007, 10:21 PM
Ewing theory?
Ewing theory is stupid.. what have the knicks done since he retired?

AzianSooner
1/7/2007, 10:22 PM
AD can't block. if he is on the field, OU must use him.

it is very obvious for defense to stop OU.

tommieharris91
1/7/2007, 10:38 PM
Ewing theory is stupid.. what have the knicks done since he retired?

Made an NBA final, then tank until Isiah took over. Now they play 100%, get in fights, and give up draft picks that end up being really high for bad contracts.

Crimsontothecore
1/7/2007, 11:00 PM
Funny how these comments keep popping up since losing to Boise. Funnier still how these comments are tolerated all of a sudden.
I was banned for a week because I started a thread talking about how the team performed better without AD. It's as though people just now woke up and realized what I was saying many weeks ago.
Let me add that I also never believed it was his fault. Probably just defenses keying on him exclusively.
Always stunned me how people didn't seem to appreciate what this team did when AD was out. Almost like winning was secondary to just seeing Peterson play. Strange.

birddog
1/7/2007, 11:55 PM
no, you're initial thread stated how you thought ad hadn't lived up to the hype.

then you went on to say we were better without him after the banning.

here's a reminder.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77336

boomersooner28
1/8/2007, 12:00 AM
Pretty simple really.

With AD: defense knows whats coming.

Without AD: Defense not sure whats coming.

:pop:

birddog
1/8/2007, 12:04 AM
with a better qb, say one that was good at throwing the deep ball, ad would have been much more effective because then the defense has to play run and pass.

GottaHavePride
1/8/2007, 01:36 AM
I was banned for a week because I started a thread talking about how the team performed better without AD.

Yeah, that may be what you THOUGHT you were saying, but the words you actually used implied that AD is a ****ty running back because he wasn't dominating other teams by himself. And that's player bashing, and someone canned you for it according to our usual "no bashing of individual players" guideline.

Word choice is important in a text-based medium.

snp
1/8/2007, 01:50 AM
If PT didn't have his worst game of the year, then AD would have exploded and we wouldn't have this dumb arguement again.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/8/2007, 02:10 AM
Pretty simple really.

:pop:And, yes, the coaches call the plays.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/8/2007, 10:10 AM
If PT didn't have his worst game of the year, then AD would have exploded and we wouldn't have this dumb arguement again.

I'm in this camp.

OUmillenium
1/8/2007, 10:14 AM
Pretty simple really.

:pop:

I concur

FaninAma
1/8/2007, 10:47 AM
The problem with AD is that a RB cannot be the focal point of an offense in D-1 college football today. The defenses of the upper tier programs are just too fast and athletic.

The D-1 game is a QB oriented game now. The QB is the most important person on the field. Only the QB can take over a game against good defenses. Sure he has to have some talent around him but most top D-1 teams have that talent.

Look at OU's success. When they have had dominate QB play they have rolled. When they have had average QB play they have struggled. It doesn't make any difference whether the RB was Q, KJ or AD.

Good running backs are definitely a plus but they do not compensate for poor or average QB play. And I think it is a mistake for Wilson to make a RB the focal point of his offense.

StuIsTheMan
1/8/2007, 11:09 AM
AD can't block. if he is on the field, OU must use him.

it is very obvious for defense to stop OU.

I beg to differ...He laid some memorable blocks for AP and PT this year... the Block on the last kick off at the Fraudzen game ...that almost Broke AP...He actually got hurt( or so it would seem) in the Tejas Game Staying in the pocket blocking and decoying for PT when they abandoned the running game...sorry makes no sence AD lays his body out on every play in my mind...even if he doesn't get the ball...

picasso
1/8/2007, 11:15 AM
Funny how these comments keep popping up since losing to Boise. Funnier still how these comments are tolerated all of a sudden.
I was banned for a week because I started a thread talking about how the team performed better without AD. It's as though people just now woke up and realized what I was saying many weeks ago.
Let me add that I also never believed it was his fault. Probably just defenses keying on him exclusively.
Always stunned me how people didn't seem to appreciate what this team did when AD was out. Almost like winning was secondary to just seeing Peterson play. Strange.
want a pat on the back?

I still think we're better with AD. Call me crazy.

I mean, Adrian didn't cause Malcom to injure his knee. or Paul to turn the ball over more than he ever has. or our defense to give up plays that I ran in my backyard circa '75.

MojoRisen
1/8/2007, 12:31 PM
want a pat on the back?

I still think we're better with AD. Call me crazy.

I mean, Adrian didn't cause Malcom to injure his knee. or Paul to turn the ball over more than he ever has. or our defense to give up plays that I ran in my backyard circa '75.

2003-2004 AD 1900+ yards Jason White 32 Touchdowns - explain?

tbl
1/8/2007, 12:36 PM
The defenses of the upper tier programs are just too fast and athletic.

It's all those growth hormones they're putting in cow feed.

Desert Sapper
1/8/2007, 12:48 PM

If Malcolm didn't get hurt early, PT wouldn't have had his worst game of the year.

Crimsontothecore
1/8/2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, that may be what you THOUGHT you were saying, but the words you actually used implied that AD is a ****ty running back because he wasn't dominating other teams by himself. And that's player bashing, and someone canned you for it according to our usual "no bashing of individual players" guideline.

Word choice is important in a text-based medium.
Actually, the thread Birddog linked isn't even the post that I was banned over.
I clearly stated that OU seemed to perform better while AD was hurt "FOR WHATEVER REASON". I never implied that he was a ****ty back.
IF opposing defenses key so heavily on him that he becomes less effective than Patrick or another RB, Then it is a fair statement to say that OU is better without him.
As for all the hype, I think AD suffered from the hype. He never called himself the "greatest RB in OU history" but with everybody else boasting of that, It put him behind the eight-ball...big time. In a way it was unfair to him above all because every opposing defense he faced while he was here was prepared to focus solely on this "superman" they heard so much about.

East Coast Bias
1/8/2007, 09:03 PM
I side with Fanima on this, all the way. Teams with a strong QB, that pass first, run when they have to , have the edge on teams that run first, pass when they have to, in the modern era. Having said that Florida should cruise.......

TheLadiesMike
1/9/2007, 12:07 AM
with a better qb, say one that was good at throwing the deep ball, ad would have been much more effective because then the defense has to play run and pass.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Reference 2004.

birddog
1/9/2007, 01:46 AM
Actually, the thread Birddog linked isn't even the post that I was banned over.
I clearly stated that OU seemed to perform better while AD was hurt "FOR WHATEVER REASON". I never implied that he was a ****ty back.
IF opposing defenses key so heavily on him that he becomes less effective than Patrick or another RB, Then it is a fair statement to say that OU is better without him.
As for all the hype, I think AD suffered from the hype. He never called himself the "greatest RB in OU history" but with everybody else boasting of that, It put him behind the eight-ball...big time. In a way it was unfair to him above all because every opposing defense he faced while he was here was prepared to focus solely on this "superman" they heard so much about.

"Not jealous at all. I'm just tired of all the hype that surrounds ONE player who, when it's all said and done, will have had ONE exceptional season as a Sooner. Don't give me the old "only because he got hurt" excuse either. Injury is a part of the game and that excuse makes as much sense as saying Nate Hybl would have been the greatest quaterback of all time if only he had thrown for more yards. Real numbers and speculation based on expectation are two totally different things."

this was the quote i was actually referring to in your thread.

he might not be the best back in college football history but in his 27 games, or whatever it is, i think he's proven to be a pretty decent running back.