PDA

View Full Version : OU bad-mouthed by opposing recruiters?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/7/2007, 01:07 PM
Apparently so, and who is surprised? The Bomar/Quinn incident was held over the Sooners' program as a shoe that might fall from the NCAA investigation. An article by John Hoover of the Tulsa World. I don't have the link, but perhaps somebody might provide it for us?

soonerloyal
1/7/2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=070107_Sp_B1_Negat57686

Negativity may deter OU recruits

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
1/7/2007

Some report that opposing coaches have mentioned the possible sanctions.

SAN ANTONIO -- The specter of possible NCAA sanctions stemming from the Rhett Bomar / Big Red Sports and Imports scandal last summer may be having an effect on Oklahoma's recruiting efforts, though it doesn't appear widespread.

Several high school football recruits said last week it never came up during their recruitment. But a handful of others in town to prepare for Saturday's U.S. Army All-American Bowl said that when coaches at other programs find out they're considering OU, the topic is sometimes broached.

After a university investigation, Bomar and teammate J.D. Quinn were kicked off the team last August for accepting money from the Norman car dealership beyond the hours they worked, as well as for falsifying work documents for nearly two years. OU reported the iniquities to the NCAA, which launched an investigation.

The NCAA concluded its investigation in November, but has told OU it will update the university on its findings at six-month intervals, beginning in mid-March.

That comes more than a month after the Feb. 7 National Signing Day. In the 31 days between now and then, negative recruiting against the Sooners is likely to continue.

"I'm not surprised by any of that," Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said. "And you know what? In the end, I don't care."

Gerald Jones, the Gatorade Oklahoma Player of the Year at Oklahoma City's Millwood High School, said while in the team locker room late in the regular season, a Falcons coach gave him Texas head coach Mack Brown's phone number, and Jones said he called Brown directly.

Jones, who has verbally committed to play at Tennessee, said Brown told him he liked Jones' highlight tape and wanted to offer him a scholarship, but Jones was hesitant to accept because he knows Texas is well-stocked with athletes. Jones said when he told Brown OU was among the schools he was considering, Brown brought up the Bomar situation.

"He was like, 'Isn't OU the one with the player getting paid, not really working and all that?' " Jones said. "I'm like, 'Coach, yes, it is, but that's been taken care of.' "

Brown, through a university spokesman, denied the conversation took place and said he'd never heard of Jones because the Longhorns no longer recruit Oklahoma.

"I have nothing but the utmost respect for Bob Stoops and all he's accomplished at Oklahoma," Brown said.

Brown's spokesman, special assistant to the head coach Bill Little, said such comments during a recruiting conversation would be out of character and against policy for Brown.

Jones said he figured Brown just didn't remember him because Texas recruits so many players.

Jones also said LSU assistant Todd Monken asked a question about the Bomar incident after Jones told him he was considering OU. Monken could not be reached for comment.

Some players consider any discussion about another school to be negative recruiting.

"They shouldn't be talking about another school," said Union offensive lineman Matt Romine. "They should be talking to me about their school. That's where they're trying to recruit me to."

Romine, who on Saturday gave a verbal commitment to Notre Dame, said he also has heard negative recruiting from coaches that the Sooners might have punishment on the way from the NCAA.

"I've heard that, and I've heard some other stuff about Notre Dame. And Miami," Romine said. "A lot of people talk bad about Miami. But it's not as bad as people might think."

Ocala, Fla., quarterback John Brantley -- who was once committed to Texas, got an unexpected visit from Stoops and has since changed his commitment to Florida -- said Bomar and NCAA probation in Norman never came up during his recruitment.

"Nobody told me that," Brantley said. "All the coaches I've talked to, they all love coach Stoops and they have good things to say about coach Stoops. They don't say anything about probation or anything like that."

Others, though, paint a different picture about Oklahoma and NCAA probation.

"Oh yeah, some have actually said that to me," said Dallas Skyline safety Christian Scott, who has narrowed his choices to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and LSU. "They've said there's a chance. Not necessarily that it's going to happen, but they will throw it in your face.

"They may say, 'Well, you know, OU, we want you to be aware that that Rhett Bomar thing is going on and there's a chance, I heard that the NCAA is going to take some scholarships away from them, they may not be able to play in any bowl games for three or four years, or they won't get any TV time.' "

Scott said he asked OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson about that because "I would hate to be there and all that does happen," and said Wilson told him further punishment was unlikely because the Sooners reported it to the NCAA themselves.

Scott sees the situation two ways.

"It could be that they just want to be helpful and want to give me good information," he said. "But it could be they're just talking down on another school because they're trying to put their school on a platform."

Big Red Ron
1/7/2007, 01:42 PM
Brown is a POS!

Bruiser53
1/7/2007, 01:44 PM
Who's lying, Gerald Jones or Mack Brown? I don't believe Mack for a second.

Big Red Ron
1/7/2007, 01:45 PM
If the NCAA is waiting until right after signing day to tell us that there is no other further punishment, isn't that a punishment in itself?

tbl
1/7/2007, 01:47 PM
:mack:

Sooner Eclipse
1/7/2007, 01:51 PM
Not exactly unexpected of Brown. Snake oil salesman speaketh with forked tongue. Notice that he wouldn't even deny it himself. Sent a spokesman to do it.

Sooner_Bob
1/7/2007, 01:56 PM
So folks are dissin' OU to recruits while USC remains unaffected by the whole Bush incident?

I'm confident that if schools started policing themselves better there'd be no need for the NCAA.

blackbeauty02
1/7/2007, 01:59 PM
so wouldn't dismissing the players show that we don't overlook it? why doesn't USC get crap for Bush accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars. our guy received no more than $10-20k and we're the one getting hosed. fug'em. fug'em all (Okie State and Texas).

MamaMia
1/7/2007, 02:16 PM
a Falcons coach gave him Texas head coach Mack Brown's phone number, and Jones said he called Brown directly.

Jones, who has verbally committed to play at Tennessee, said Brown told him he liked Jones' highlight tape and wanted to offer him a scholarship, but Jones was hesitant to accept because he knows Texas is well-stocked with athletes. Jones said when he told Brown OU was among the schools he was considering, Brown brought up the Bomar situation.

"He was like, 'Isn't OU the one with the player getting paid, not really working and all that?' " Jones said. "I'm like, 'Coach, yes, it is, but that's been taken care of.' "

Brown, through a university spokesman, denied the conversation took place and said he'd never heard of Jones because the Longhorns no longer recruit Oklahoma. Phone records could prove whos lying here.

snp
1/7/2007, 02:55 PM
"Oh yeah, some have actually said that to me," said Dallas Skyline safety Christian Scott, who has narrowed his choices to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M and LSU. "They've said there's a chance. Not necessarily that it's going to happen, but they will throw it in your face.

Ya think?

Jello Biafra
1/7/2007, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=soonerloyal
Brown, through a university spokesman, denied the conversation took place and said he'd never heard of Jones because the Longhorns no longer recruit Oklahoma.

[/QUOTE]

i call bullshiit......

85sooners
1/7/2007, 03:10 PM
:hot:

MamaMia
1/7/2007, 03:12 PM
Oh, and thank you John E. Hoover for spreading the word to all these recruits, and God only knows how many others, that OU may have possible sanctions looming over our heads, just in case they hadn't heard. Who is this guy anyway? :rolleyes:

SoonerStormchaser
1/7/2007, 03:30 PM
FU*K TEXAS...F*CK THE DOMERS...FUC* LES MILES

They're all (word that rhymes with sockpluckers).

Rant over.

BASSooner
1/7/2007, 03:39 PM
I know that all coaches will say some things to try to draw away recruits from their rivals but, to use THAT as a strategy is just low. Good thing is, players are smart enough to know that the coaches are pulling such classless moves.

Texas Golfer
1/7/2007, 03:44 PM
I'd like to think that players are smart enough to realize that, if a recruiter is talking bad about OU to further their chances, they'll tell the kid anything he wants to hear and change things later on him.

blackbeauty02
1/7/2007, 03:47 PM
i say we all team up and start rumors that mack brown is gay and has sex with colt mccoy (hence the cold sores that keep popping up).

1/7/2007, 04:50 PM
Oh, and thank you John E. Hoover for spreading the word to all these recruits, and God only knows how many others, that OU may have possible sanctions looming over our heads, just in case they hadn't heard. Who is this guy anyway? :rolleyes:Yeah, just because a writer works for a paper in OK, sure doesn't mean he's a homer for the team.
However, if someone is a big-time HS football player, he prolly heard about Bomar/Quinn NCAA investigation already.

sooner518
1/7/2007, 05:56 PM
Texas no longer recruits Oklahoma?

not at all?

Big Red Ron
1/7/2007, 06:26 PM
If the NCAA is waiting until right after signing day to tell us that there is no other further punishment, isn't that a punishment in itself?Great point Ron.

Thanks, I try.

:D

batonrougesooner
1/7/2007, 06:27 PM
Jones would really have no motive to lie that I can tell.

Brown on the other hand...

AlbqSooner
1/7/2007, 07:38 PM
Great point Ron.

Thanks, I try.

:D
Did ya spek yourself?:D

OKC-SLC
1/7/2007, 08:03 PM
Did ya spek yourself?:D
NTTAWWT.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/7/2007, 08:44 PM
That is a recruiting genius right there. The most talented running back ever is from Kansas....**** I wish I hadn't made that "We don't recruit Kansas" comment

tulsaoilerfan
1/7/2007, 09:47 PM
Nothing new here folks, other teams have been using negative recruiting against OU forever; Switzer even speaks about it in his book; he also says that the only negative recruiting tactic he ever used was in the early 70's when he would tell black Texas high school recruits that "
Think how lonely you will be at Texas when you look in the huddle and see all honkey faces starting back at you" Gotta love the Switz!!!

utex74
1/7/2007, 10:01 PM
i say we all team up and start rumors that mack brown is gay and has sex with colt mccoy (hence the cold sores that keep popping up).

Yeah, I'm sure that will dispell any rumors about OU's character.

And for what little it is worth here, I don't for a second believe Brown said that or that someone gave the player Brown's number to call. That is just stupid. We had more commitments than we could take before the season even started (although we've had to replace two decommits recently), the quota of linemen was filled last summer, and even if Brown wanted to talk to someone he would just call him.

I'd like to see those phone records, too.

utex74
1/7/2007, 10:09 PM
That is a recruiting genius right there. The most talented running back ever is from Kansas....**** I wish I hadn't made that "We don't recruit Kansas" comment

I'd like to see the proof of that statement, too. Of course Texas recruits Oklahoma. We concentrate in Texas, much like you, but will go anywhere to try to find an exceptional player.

snp
1/7/2007, 10:17 PM
Two players have said that teams are using disparaging comments towards OU to recruit - one player directly implicated Texas, and Texas is very hard after the other. That's enough to establish a base for these claims but obviously not enough to convict anyone. This stuff happens in recruiting, it's not a big surprise.

Plus, what would Jones have to gain by starting a rumor? He's heading to Tennessee. Unless there is some sort of rivalry of who the true ugly color UT is, then maybe.

Both are equally ugly though.

Big Red Ron
1/8/2007, 12:17 AM
Did ya spek yourself?:DOnly on the weekends. ;)

1/8/2007, 12:36 AM
What's the attraction to Tennessee? I don't see their tradition being anywhere near as strong as ours. Anybody?

soonermeteor
1/8/2007, 01:28 AM
So folks are dissin' OU to recruits while USC remains unaffected by the whole Bush incident?

....but...but...but.... reggie is a classy person who was helping out his family while bomar was just in it for himself :rolleyes:

Anyone notice the last two Hiesman winners are guilty of crimes involving money?

I second the call for bullsh*t.

Scott D
1/8/2007, 01:35 AM

I'm confident that if schools started policing themselves better there'd be no need for the NCAA.

Oh, I'm sure there are coaches/recruiting coordinators who badmouth USC. There are other ones that badmouth Texas, others badmouth ND, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, etc....negative recruiting happens to everyone for the most part. Some recruiters/coaches/schools feel that's the only shot they have with some kids to get their foot in the door.

How many times have we heard over the past few years that recruiting tactics used against Penn St. and Florida St. have been related to the imminent retirement of JoePa or Bowden.

Hoover is just turning a non-story into a story, and like with Trammel, people are eating it up.

snp
1/8/2007, 01:43 AM
What's the attraction to Tennessee? I don't see their tradition being anywhere near as strong as ours. Anybody?

Only fans think that tradition is really that significant to getting players.

The kids want to get to the NFL, playing time, and have a good time doing so. Tennessee is just as good for OU for any of those 3. And then there's always the facilities are really great and the academics arguments. But maybe 10% truly care about their academics.

AzianSooner
1/8/2007, 01:50 AM
Only fans think that tradition is really that significant to getting players.

The kids want to get to the NFL, playing time, and have a good time doing so. Tennessee is just as good for OU for any of those 3. And then there's always the facilities are really great and the academics arguments. But maybe 10% truly care about their academics.

Tradition is only good for instate kids who dream and love to play for the school of their dream.

Otherwise, it is where they can get the most traing and playing time while free meal, little more money, and a good fun location is a bonus.

kevpks
1/8/2007, 04:46 AM
The most significant kind of tradition to many players seems to be a school's track record for grooming players for the league. All the Sooners currently making an impact on Sundays is paying dividends. Look at the WRs we keep bringing in. Who would of thought OU could become Receiver U?

randu
1/8/2007, 07:51 AM
Anyone notice the last two Hiesman winners are guilty of crimes involving money?
NCAA violation != crime

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/8/2007, 08:05 AM
I'd like to see the proof of that statement, too. Of course Texas recruits Oklahoma. We concentrate in Texas, much like you, but will go anywhere to try to find an exceptional player.
Well seeing as Oklahoma has 43 Texans on our roster and Texas has NOBODY from Oklahoma on their roster you sure dont recruit good enough.:P

the_ouskull
1/8/2007, 08:57 AM

They, in recent years, have gotten more players to the NFL than OU has.

the_ouskull

Luthor
1/8/2007, 10:16 AM
Brown is a POS!

But he did tell the truth.

Rhino
1/8/2007, 10:20 AM
and even if Brown wanted to talk to someone he would just call him. Not if it's a dead period.

MamaMia
1/8/2007, 11:01 AM
I'm proud of the fact that Coach Stoops is such a classy individual that he gains no pleasure from the misfortunes of others. Hes so gracious, and hes always happy for any recruit who is able to find a school where he feels comfortable, no matter where that school may be.

If the back stabbing coaching staffs from other schools want to play dirty by insulting each others football programs, then so be it. They should be ashamed for conducting themselves in such a manner, and in the presence of young athletes no less. They certainly have no call to be gossiping about the University of Oklahoma since our own coaching staff wishes them no ill will.

EasTex
1/8/2007, 08:43 PM
Question - Why would Mack Brown bad-mouth OU to a player committed to Tennessee, and not do the same to Brantley, a player committed to Texas that OU was trying to pry away from Texas?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/8/2007, 08:46 PM
A) How do you know they didn't with Brantley too....

EasTex
1/8/2007, 08:49 PM
The article quoted Brantley as saying he had never heard anything bad about OU from anyone.