1/6/2007, 11:07 PM
Dang.

bri
1/6/2007, 11:08 PM
That sucks, hard. :(

GrapevineSooner
1/6/2007, 11:19 PM
Unbelievable.

Thoughts and prayers to the USC football family and to this young man's family.

the_ouskull
1/6/2007, 11:19 PM
Who's his backup?

Sin,
The Feds

I can't remember where it happened, but it DID happen earlier this year, before anybody thinks I'm being a morbid *sshole. I think that it was a punter in the other case though. I just hope that it's not something like that. Anybody dead is bad, but to die because somebody wants something that you have is so much worse, IMO.

the_ouskull

soonerrn
1/6/2007, 11:21 PM
Oh man! The poor family! Prayers for them.

sanantoniosooner
1/6/2007, 11:21 PM
Who's his backup?

Sin,
The Feds

I can't remember where it happened, but it DID happen earlier this year, before anybody thinks I'm being a morbid *sshole. I think that it was a punter in the other case though. I just hope that it's not something like that. Anybody dead is bad, but to die because somebody wants something that you have is so much worse, IMO.

the_ouskull
It was a stab in the leg by the back up and it happened at one of the "lesser" Colorado teams. Nobody died in that case.

proudsoonergal
1/6/2007, 11:23 PM
It was a stab in the leg by the back up and it happened at one of the "lesser" Colorado teams. Nobody died in that case.

I think it was Northern Colorado.

Collier11
1/6/2007, 11:24 PM
I am sick of people that dont value life anymore...anyone who can pull out a gun or knife thinks that they are a MAN...thats bs and they arent nothing but a b*tch!!! I dont know the details but this kind of stuff including Williams is starting to make me sick

Ash
1/6/2007, 11:25 PM
From Espn website, not many details. Very sad, and weird news.

USC kicker Danelo found dead at bottom of cliff ESPN.com news services

Mario Danelo, a kicker for the USC football team, was found dead Saturday in San Pedro, Calif.

Danelo's body was found at the bottom of White Point Cliff in San Pedro, according for a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department. Police did not release further details.

Danelo, a redshirt junior, walked on with the Trojans in 2003 and earned a scholarship in 2005, according to the USC athletic department's Web site.

He was 15-for-16 on field goals this season and made 44 of 48 PATs, leading the team in scoring with 89 points.

Danelo is the son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo.

Sooner Eclipse
1/6/2007, 11:26 PM
Apparently he was found at the bottom of a cliff in San Pedro, Ca. No mention if foul play suspected.

BTW his name was Mario Danelo

trey
1/6/2007, 11:41 PM
i live in san pedro and knew his older brother while growing up. i can walk to the cliffs. tragic, tragic news. rumors here are that he was last seen at a party late last night.

MamaMia
1/6/2007, 11:52 PM
How sad. :(

TUSooner
1/6/2007, 11:58 PM
Very sad.

Sooner98
1/6/2007, 11:59 PM
Wow. :(

mrjeffmaxwell
1/7/2007, 12:26 AM
Don't party. People day from parties. It's stupid.

Widescreen
1/7/2007, 01:55 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242246,00.html

LOS ANGELES — Southern California kicker Mario Danelo was found dead Saturday about 120 feet down a rocky cliff near Point Fermin lighthouse in the city's San Pedro section.

The body was reported by a passer-by at about 4:30 p.m., said Martha Garcia of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.

Speaking on behalf of Trojans coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said: "We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss. Mario was a wonderful young man of high character.

"He was one heck of a kicker. He was a key ingredient in our success the past two years. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Trojan family go out to the Danelo family on this sad, sad day."

The family declined to comment.

A former San Pedro High School linebacker and soccer player, Danelo made the Trojans as a walk-on in 2003. In 2005, he received a scholarship and earned the starting kicking job.

He only missed two field goals in his career, going 26-for-28, and was 127-of-134 on extra points. In 2005, he set NCAA single-season records with 83 extra points and 86 attempts.

goingoneight
1/7/2007, 01:59 AM
Agreed, it doesn't matter who it is or where they're from, this sucks for the kid, the family, the program/university and his friends. Nothing positive comes out of this.

olevetonahill
1/7/2007, 02:01 AM
21 yrs old , found at the bottom of a 120 ft cliff , go figure Ya think a little partying was involved ? .
I hate it for the family , :(

snp
1/7/2007, 02:41 AM
Awful news.

sooner KB
1/7/2007, 04:01 AM
It makes you wonder if it had anything to do with the two extra points he missed in the Rose Bowl.

BASSooner
1/7/2007, 04:08 AM
It makes you wonder if it had anything to do with the two extra points he missed in the Rose Bowl.
that was just a bit extreme...

SoonerTerry
1/7/2007, 04:08 AM

I doubt it since they ended up winning, that is if you were talking about him being depressed about missing them.

Either way, my heart goes out to the family and friends..

Texas Golfer
1/7/2007, 04:32 AM
My prayers go out to the Danelo family.

Rocker
1/7/2007, 08:15 AM

Thats very uncalled for comment!

Wishboned
1/7/2007, 10:30 AM
This is tragic and sad.

Reminds you of how quickly things can change and it can all end in an instant.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

85sooners
1/7/2007, 10:55 AM
:(

Flagstaffsooner
1/7/2007, 11:35 AM
Police investigating death of USC kicker Danelo

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Police are investigating the death of University of Southern California kicker Mario Danelo, whose body was found about 120 feet down a rocky cliff near Point Fermin lighthouse in the city's San Pedro section.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2007/0106/ncf_us_danelo_195.jpg
Nelson Chenault-US PRESSWIRE
USC kicker Mario Danelo was discovered at the base of a cliff in Los Angeles Saturday.

The body was reported by a passer-by at about 4:30 p.m. and showed signs of traumatic injures, said Martha Garcia of the Los Angeles Police Department.
"I have no indication per se that it was a criminal event," Lt. David Pierson, commanding officer of the LAPD Harbor Division detectives, told the Los Angeles Times. "But we exhaust all leads to ensure that we're making the right categorization of the case."
Pierson said investigators had information that Danelo was out with friends Friday night and that he was last seen around midnight. He said police had no information as to whether Danelo had been drinking.
Pierson said so far there was nothing to indicate it was a suicide.
Someone flying a remote-control airplane in Point Fermin Park noticed something at the bottom of the cliff and a friend traversed a trail down to the beach and discovered the body, Pierson said.
Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said at the scene investigators had not found a surf board, scuba-diving tanks or anything else to indicate Danelo might have been down there for any of the recreational activities common to the area.
Humphrey said over the years a handful of people had fallen from the cliff.
"It's entirely possible that he fell," said Humphrey.
Atop the cliff are signs forbidding entrance. They warn of unstable, slippery surfaces and steep drops. A bouquet of flowers and candles were left at the scene by onlookers late Saturday.
Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.
Speaking on behalf of Trojans coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said: "We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss. Mario was a wonderful young man of high character.
"He was one heck of a kicker. He was a key ingredient in our success the past two years. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Trojan family go out to the Danelo family on this sad, sad day."
Reached by phone Saturday, the family declined to comment.
USC linebacker Dallas Sartz said Danelo would be remembered for his upbeat personality and dependable kicking.
"I just remember Mario was the guy who always had a smile on his face and would always cheer you up," said Sartz, a team captain.
Danelo's death stunned many in the close-knit San Pedro community where he grew up.
"Anytime you were around him, it was nothing but smiles," Dustin Varela, a 22-year-old San Pedro resident, told the Daily Breeze. "None of this feels real. I'm trying to put it all together."
A former San Pedro High School linebacker and soccer player, Danelo made the Trojans as a walk-on in 2003. In 2005, he received a scholarship and earned the starting kicking job.
He missed only two field goals in his career, going 26-for-28, and was 127 of 134 on extra points. In 2005, he set NCAA single-season records with 83 extra points and 86 attempts.
Danelo is the second USC athlete to die in the last eight months. Ryan Francis, a point guard for the basketball team, was shot to death in May in Baton Rouge, La.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

So sorry.

soonerloyal
1/7/2007, 01:23 PM
Oh, my heart breaks for his mama, his family, and everyone who loved him.

Bless his heart.

budbarrybob
1/7/2007, 02:25 PM
Don't party. People day from parties. It's stupid.

:confused:

blackbeauty02
1/7/2007, 03:54 PM
Thats horrible. I am tired of hearing about the death of football players

I am tired of hearing about the death of anybody period.

Tailwind
1/7/2007, 04:47 PM
Sad, sad news. My heart goes out to the young man, his family and friends.

Widescreen
2/5/2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250349,00.html

LOS ANGELES — Southern California kicker Mario Danelo was drunk when he plunged over a cliff to his death, but the coroner's office Monday was unable to say why he fell.

A toxicological report accompanying Danelo's autopsy report found he had 0.23 blood-alcohol level, nearly three times the legal limit in California. No drugs were detected in his body, the report said.

The autopsy report said the cause of death was multiple traumatic injuries, but "because of the unanswered questions, we are stating the manner of death as undetermined," Deputy Medical Examiner Jeffrey Gutstadt of the Los Angeles County Coroner's office wrote in the report.

The 21-year-old player was found Jan. 6 more than 100 feet down a rocky cliff in San Pedro. Police said from the outset that foul play was ruled out and his death was either an accident or a suicide.

Following Danelo's death, several Southern California players said they were convinced the kicker did not take his own life.

The report also couldn't ascertain Danelo's state of mind before his death, but he "would have had to scale a wall to get to the strip of land before the steep drop of about 150 feet while under the influence of alcohol."

Danelo, the son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. He made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.

He missed two field goals in his two-year career at USC, going 26-for-28, and he was 127-of-134 on extra points. He set NCAA single-season records with 83 extra points and 86 attempts in the 2005 season.

Danelo was a walk-on at USC in 2003 and received a scholarship two years later.

Octavian
2/5/2007, 09:29 PM
thats terrible

snp
2/5/2007, 10:32 PM
3X the legal limit if he was driving.

landrun
2/5/2007, 11:32 PM
No doubt the authorities are asking who this kid was with that night. Very sad.:(

Boomer.....
2/6/2007, 09:29 AM
I don't understand why he was that drunk by himself at the edge of a huge cliff. That kind of drunkenness will affect anyones judgment.

sooner518
2/6/2007, 09:58 AM
geez i dont want to think how much liquor you'd have to throw down to get your BAC to .23 but needless to say, you'd be having some trouble walking.

really sad for his family but hopefully other people can learn from it

SoonerJLB
2/7/2007, 05:52 PM
I don't understand why he was that drunk by himself at the edge of a huge cliff. That kind of drunkenness will affect anyones judgment.

I have been to that park near the cliff he fell off a few times. It a cool view over looking the San Pedro habor where all the freight comes into the Port of LA. There is only a 3 to 4 ft wall there over the fence with a winding path along the edge. A lot of people have gone to that place to comitt suicide over the years and that is why the notion is even there. The Santa Ana winds were howling those days and along the cliffs can have gusts well over 50 miles per hour. Who knows.

snp
2/7/2007, 11:31 PM
geez i dont want to think how much liquor you'd have to throw down to get your BAC to .23 but needless to say, you'd be having some trouble walking.

Not that much. Its only halfway to alcohol poisoning. Most of us student posters probably hit .23 1-2 times a week.