PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Recruiting Class

TXBOOMER
1/6/2007, 04:15 PM
Not that I put one heck of a lot of stock in recruiting rankings but here is some interesting info. Obviously, we have a smaller class this year due to available scholarships but we are sitting at # 35 on the Scout recruiting rankings right now. 2006 we were tied for 7th overall, 2005 we were 5th overall, 2004 7th overall. 2003 3rd overall, 2002 2nd overall. Surely the next 5 - 8 commits we get will get us in the top 20 but we won't sniff a top ten recruiting class this year. The biggest shock to me was that we couldn't land the big OL out of Union.

fadada1
1/6/2007, 04:17 PM
i think those recruiting services use some kind of formula that favors bigger classes. we'll be fine.

BASSooner
1/6/2007, 04:19 PM
the OU coaches themselves are looking into these players and they believe that these guys can be REALLY good. I was a little bit in shock when Sumlin recruited Tyler Stradford, a two-star receiver out of New Orleans. Think of it this way. Rankings are based upon critics and so called "scouts" believe. These players in OUr recruiting class right now are looked upon a lot better than what these critics think and believe.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/6/2007, 04:26 PM
It will take beating tx next yr. to turn the downward trend around, IMO.

BASSooner
1/6/2007, 04:30 PM
the following players that have played here...what were their ratings out of high school?

Mark Clayton
Derrick Strait
Q
Josh Heupel
JT Thatcher
Ontei Jones
Teddy Lehman
Rocky Calmus

and some other players that you guys would know..

LittleWingSooner
1/6/2007, 04:34 PM
If you look at the 1999 and 2000 classes. I think the only one getting any hype as a high school All-American was Jammal Brown as a defensive player.

BASSooner
1/6/2007, 04:35 PM
oh and also what about jason white and dan cody?

LittleWingSooner
1/6/2007, 04:39 PM
They weren't near as highly touted as this class is really. We have Austin Box and the 2 JUCOs who were bigger name recruits. I don't know a lot about this class because I don't eat and sleep recruiting. But you can't judge a class till after it's done something. We've gotten stars in our last 4 or 5 classes but it's ended up with little substance. Not based on stars our recruiting classes from 1999-2001 were much better then our recruiting has been since then.

snp
1/6/2007, 05:06 PM
You know we have an entire forum dedicated to recruiting.

The most informative recruting posters are over there, so you're not going to get any bad information. Posting this in the football board you're just bound to get people bitching about the overvalue of stars, which isn't news.

setem
1/6/2007, 05:57 PM
We recruited players for next year?

I thought the program died when we lost to BSU?

What do you know????

I have a feeling Reed will not be making it on campus due to some grade problems...that is just me though! I have no real facts to back it up...I am just saying.

Who wants a mustache ride????

snp
1/6/2007, 06:01 PM
I have a feeling Reed will not be making it on campus due to some grade problems...that is just me though! I have no real facts to back it up...I am just saying.

Besides the Stoops bashing, this is probably the single worst post of the year. Next time your extra chromosome gives you an idea, do us a favor and don't post it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/6/2007, 06:07 PM
Head over to the recruiting board. They are saying Romine (OL out of Union) is going to OU....probably anyway

1/6/2007, 06:35 PM
Head over to the recruiting board. They are saying Romine (OL out of Union) is going to OU....probably anywayDidn't find it. What is the thread titled?

snp
1/6/2007, 06:45 PM
Romine committed to ND today.

LittleWingSooner
1/6/2007, 07:33 PM
I don't care where our class is ranked. I'm tired of hearing about how great our recruiting classes are only to be upset that we don't have these great teams. If we were to listen to recruiting hype every year we would never have lost a game the last 2 years. I'm only gonna worry about the players that actually do something on the field at OU.

1/6/2007, 08:28 PM
I don't care where our class is ranked. I'm tired of hearing about how great our recruiting classes are only to be upset that we don't have these great teams. If we were to listen to recruiting hype every year we would never have lost a game the last 2 years. I'm only gonna worry about the players that actually do something on the field at OU.whorns and suc have had far better recruiting than us, in recent years. Consequently, one of them should win every yr...coaching is more than recruiting. Boise State is proof.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2007, 08:33 PM
Heh, yeah, I think Romine and Charlie Weis would both be pretty shocked to hear that he's an OU lean. ;)

Romine apparently has been a silent verbal for a bit now, but stuck to his word that he'd commit at the AA game. I mean, the kid did take like seven unofficials to South Bend.

snp
1/6/2007, 09:08 PM
Heh, yeah, I think Romine and Charlie Weis would both be pretty shocked to hear that he's an OU lean. ;)

Romine apparently has been a silent verbal for a bit now, but stuck to his word that he'd commit at the AA game. I mean, the kid did take like seven unofficials to South Bend.

Eh, I don't think so. I have access to double secret ND recruit information and they were all worried that Romine was leaning towards OU this past week. I talked with one of their mod's and it was close for Romine because he really loves OU and Stoops, but just felt more right at ND.

Crimsontothecore
1/6/2007, 09:19 PM
To all of you who get excited about recruiting rankings: What was Boise States classes ranked the last 4 years??

snp
1/6/2007, 09:27 PM
To all of you who get excited about recruiting rankings: What was Boise States classes ranked the last 4 years??

To all of you who are rehashing over discussed topics: stop.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2007, 09:35 PM
Eh, I don't think so. I have access to double secret ND recruit information and they were all worried that Romine was leaning towards OU this past week. I talked with one of their mod's and it was close for Romine because he really loves OU and Stoops, but just felt more right at ND.

Oh, I know recruitniks were all worried that Romine was going to OU based on Romine talking OU up to Luther Davis, but Romine himself said that he'd informed the winning coaches several days ago.

the_ouskull
1/6/2007, 09:36 PM
I don't want a bunch of five-star players. I liked the way we played when we had three-star players who wanted it. Five-star players don't imrprove enough, IMHO.

the_ouskull

BASSooner
1/6/2007, 09:44 PM
I don't want a bunch of five-star players. I liked the way we played when we had three-star players who wanted it. Five-star players don't imrprove enough, IMHO.

the_ouskull
exactly

snp
1/6/2007, 09:46 PM
Oh, I know recruitniks were all worried that Romine was going to OU based on Romine talking OU up to Luther Davis, but Romine himself said that he'd informed the winning coaches several days ago.

Yea, and Luther lated admitted that he was making that up, too. I don't doubt that Weis knew Romine was going ND for a few days, at least. I guess I just misunderstood when you said "a bit" - I took it that it meant weeks or something. My bad.

OUinFLA
1/6/2007, 09:51 PM

the_ouskull

spek

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2007, 10:15 PM
Yea, and Luther lated admitted that he was making that up, too. I don't doubt that Weis knew Romine was going ND for a few days, at least. I guess I just misunderstood when you said "a bit" - I took it that it meant weeks or something. My bad.

No biggie. I didn't think we had a shot at Romine until those Luther Davis rumors surfaced. You just don't take that many unofficials to a school several hundred miles away unless you want to go there.

While it sucks for OU fandom, I almost wish more kids were as smart about their recruiting decision as Romine was. He grew up an OU fan, but he went to the school that's going to give him the better education for that specific reason. I'm not trying to run down OU's academics, but Notre Dame is certainly a well-respected school.

1/6/2007, 10:23 PM
I almost wish more kids were as smart about their recruiting decision as Romine was. He grew up an OU fan, but he went to the school that's going to give him the better education for that specific reason. II don't think for a minute his decision was about academics. I believe he's bought the recruiting sell that so many other domer recruits have bought over the years. "We are ND, and we will conquer all, because we are ND". I also believe he has some doubts about OU, as do many other recruits.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2007, 10:29 PM
I don't think for a minute his decision was about academics. I believe he's bought the recruiting sell that so many other domer recruits have bought over the years. "We are ND, and we will conquer all, because we are ND". I also believe he has some doubts about OU, as do many other recruits.

Well, since academics is something he's brought up through his entire recruitment as being in favor of ND, and it's something that he mentioned as the deciding factor between ND and OU, and Notre Dame finished with a worse record than OU did while also getting waxed in their bowl game and OU lost by one point to an excellent football team...

...I'll just trust what the kid says.

1/6/2007, 10:38 PM

...I'll just trust what the kid says.I have to admit it's more palatable for us Sooner fans.

Frozen Sooner
1/6/2007, 10:43 PM
I don't find it so. The "direction" of a football team is something that can be fixed with a good year the next season. OU isn't going to surpass Notre Dame or even Texas anytime soon on the academic front. I mean, I feel like I got a great education at OU, but those two are likely to remain better schools for a good while.

All_Day_28
1/6/2007, 10:44 PM
when's the last time they won a national championship? maybe they need better recruiting classes..

1/6/2007, 10:47 PM
I don't find it so. The "direction" of a football team is something that can be fixed with a good year the next season. OU isn't going to surpass Notre Dame or even Texas anytime soon on the academic front. I mean, I feel like I got a great education at OU, but those two are likely to remain better schools for a good while.The education you get is up to you. I'm not saying you're NECESSARILY wrong. I just have substantial doubts.

RedstickSooner
1/7/2007, 12:23 AM

the_ouskull

Yeah.

Tommie Harris & Adrian Peterson are the succ.

Me...

I liked the way we played when we had 3 star coaches who wanted it :D

Tho' I do dig what you're saying, and I actually do agree even if I poked fun. As awesome as the gems like Harris & Peterson are, I don't know that they make up for all the ones who do precisely what you say - come in and play just as they did during high school.

Much prefer to have a kid who is bright, wants to be coached up, has a good work ethic, and the right frame for his position. We feed him right, toss him into the weight room with Schmitty, and teach him a few things. Dude turns into a stud.

Wasn't Rufus a 3 star kinda recruit? Or was he more 4 stars? Either way, I don't recall him coming in as an all-world guy, but he sure grew into one. Perfect example of the sort of player I love to see.

LittleWingSooner
1/7/2007, 12:53 AM
We need a mix of role players are stars. You can't try and get all stars and put em on a roster.

chbrew09
1/7/2007, 01:14 AM

the_ouskull

Recruiting 4 and 5 star players has never hurt a team...Everyone likes to cite Bomar as the reason as to why you should not recruit a 5 star player. Him and Chris Patterson (grades) were basically our only issues. If they are 4 and 5 stars, they're probably pretty good. Yes, we've had some great players who were 3 stars or below, but I would rather have talent along with work ethic rather than a little less talented with work ethic.

Examples that worked out:
5*:ADRIAN, tommie, granger, latimer, lance mitchell, pasha jackson, gerald mccoy (pure speculation, but he's going to be a beast)
4*: rufus (yes he was a 4*), d. joseph, PT, travis wilson, pendleton, lendy, m. walker, wolfe (sort of), chijoke (sort of), ah you, n. harris, m. johnson, m. kelly, curtis lofton (future), AP, duke, reggie, b. simmons (future), reynolds (future), gresham, chris brown, brandon walker

The point is...yes, a 3 star will blossom every once in awhile, but the rate of 4 stars making it to our past 3 star recruits has been much better.

Overall, this class is pretty solid in that we have filled the spots we have needed so far. Romine would have been nice, but this year showed that our coaching staff (I highly credit James Patton-most underrated coach on staff this year) is more than capable of making any type of offensive line prospect NFL caliber.

utex74
1/7/2007, 01:50 AM

The difference showed in the game. By the end of the third quarter your guys had totally worn them down and one more possession in OT would have done it. Their outstanding execution of some very good play calling let them hang on for the win. The differences in that game early, in my opinion, was motivation and coaching. But that's just me.

BASSooner
1/7/2007, 01:51 AM
Recruiting 4 and 5 star players has never hurt a team...Everyone likes to cite Bomar as the reason as to why you should not recruit a 5 star player. Him and Chris Patterson (grades) were basically our only issues. If they are 4 and 5 stars, they're probably pretty good. Yes, we've had some great players who were 3 stars or below, but I would rather have talent along with work ethic rather than a little less talented with work ethic.

Examples that worked out:
5*:ADRIAN, tommie, granger, latimer, lance mitchell, pasha jackson, gerald mccoy (pure speculation, but he's going to be a beast)
4*: rufus (yes he was a 4*), d. joseph, PT, travis wilson, pendleton, lendy, m. walker, wolfe (sort of), chijoke (sort of), ah you, n. harris, m. johnson, m. kelly, curtis lofton (future), AP, duke, reggie, b. simmons (future), reynolds (future), gresham, chris brown, brandon walker

The point is...yes, a 3 star will blossom every once in awhile, but the rate of 4 stars making it to our past 3 star recruits has been much better.

Overall, this class is pretty solid in that we have filled the spots we have needed so far. Romine would have been nice, but this year showed that our coaching staff (I highly credit James Patton-most underrated coach on staff this year) is more than capable of making any type of offensive line prospect NFL caliber.
underrated players have worked better for us though. see:
Josh Heupel
Jason White
Mark Clayton
Derrick Strait
Dan Cody
Teddy Lehman
Q
and a huge majority of guys on the OUr holy 2000 team

FrostySooner
1/7/2007, 03:17 AM
I am not that upset about not getting Romine. I think our O-Line is just fine as it is. If we get too many quality players competing for five spots, then we will have the same problem we had in the past. Three or four will leave because they don't see any playing time. I think our group is just fine as it is.

Peterson and Harris were definitely good 5 star athletes, but I think that in most cases 5 star players come in with too big of heads. A three star kid has something to prove, making them harder workers just so they can get on the field. I agree that we need a good mixture. Get two or three 5 star kids on each side of the ball and surround them with 3 and 4 star kids.

kevpks
1/7/2007, 03:28 AM
The most important thing for this recruiting class is to fill in holes at key positions (i.e. depth at OL, DL, secondary, etc.). It seems like we are doing that, so I am happy. Although, I don't know how we are recruiting so many stud WRs every year. Whoever recruits that position is doing a heck of a job.

I am also really interested to see this year's crop of RS freshman. I hope McCoy and Murray tear it up!

BASSooner
1/7/2007, 03:43 AM
The most important thing for this recruiting class is to fill in holes at key positions (i.e. depth at OL, DL, secondary, etc.). It seems like we are doing that, so I am happy. Although, I don't know how we are recruiting so many stud WRs every year. Whoever recruits that position is doing a heck of a job.

I am also really interested to see this year's crop of RS freshman. I hope McCoy and Murray tear it up!
In the past, Darrel Wyatt, was the main man that recruited all of OUr great receivers, MK, Tennel, Johnson, Iglesias and others. I'm still impressed on the type of receivers that we are getting now. Just like the ones of the past.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/7/2007, 04:20 AM
romine was never coming here, when he got the offer from ND, from what i heard, he was a domer. i woulda been more suprised if he came to OU then going to ND

Bruiser53
1/7/2007, 01:49 PM
I have a pledge brother who played for Union and he said that Romine was one of the laziest players that he knew. He didn't want to work, just used the natural talent and size he was blessed with. I don't think we need those kind of guys on our team. Let him get blown out every year in a BCS bowl that they don't belong in.

snp
1/7/2007, 02:47 PM
Love all the rumors that come after he commits somewhere else :rolleyes:

Where were you guys weeks ago?

RedstickSooner
1/7/2007, 02:52 PM
Love all the rumors that come after he commits somewhere else :rolleyes:

Where were you guys weeks ago?

Duh. They were lazily partying with the guy, checking out all his new Neuter Lame hats :)

soonerloyal
1/7/2007, 03:22 PM
Bless you for trying, Pirate...;)

OUmillenium
1/8/2007, 10:39 AM

the_ouskull

Yes, we some some hungry OK and Texas players. Huge mistake by our staff to go more national in their recruiting after the National Championship of 2000.