PDA

View Full Version : DIA to Keystone Shuttle

Cam
1/6/2007, 10:45 AM
What's with the shuttle business from DIA to the ski resorts? We've only been able to find one that isn't private. All the others are over $350 + tip each way. $350 for 3 freaking people, they ain't getting a trip.

I'd rather take a shuttle so that we can enjoy the ride to/from the airport, but looks like we're going to have to rent a car and hope there's not a huge *** storm like a couple of weeks ago.

King Crimson
1/6/2007, 10:55 AM
What's with the shuttle business from DIA to the ski resorts? We've only been able to find one that isn't private. All the others are over $350 + tip each way. $350 for 3 freaking people, they ain't getting a trip.

I'd rather take a shuttle so that we can enjoy the ride to/from the airport, but looks like we're going to have to rent a car and hope there's not a huge *** storm like a couple of weeks ago.

couple weeks ago? it snowed 8 MORE inches night before last and Friday. with about a 6 inch drop last weekend.

http://www.ridecme.com/ just fooling around with this one it was 42$ a person to summit county. it's 28$ a person to take an airport shuttle from Boulder to DIA, by comparison.....about 1/3 the distance.

try some of these:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__States/Colorado/Metropolitan_Areas/Denver_Metro/Business_and_Shopping/Shopping_and_Services/Transportation/Limousines_and_Shuttles/

bluedogok
1/6/2007, 08:25 PM
Then there was the avalanche on US 40 near Berthoud Pass today.
Rocky Mountain News - No one else trapped; eight taken to hospital (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5261715,00.html)

Cam
1/7/2007, 05:05 PM
couple weeks ago? it snowed 8 MORE inches night before last and Friday. with about a 6 inch drop last weekend.

http://www.ridecme.com/ just fooling around with this one it was 42$ a person to summit county. it's 28$ a person to take an airport shuttle from Boulder to DIA, by comparison.....about 1/3 the distance.
To Keystone, it's $63 per person, one way.

try some of these:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__States/Colorado/Metropolitan_Areas/Denver_Metro/Business_and_Shopping/Shopping_and_Services/Transportation/Limousines_and_Shuttles/
All private and most are #300+ each way.

King Crimson
1/7/2007, 05:50 PM
i'm curious about the distinction you are making with "private". Denver has an excellent public transportation system....but i don't understand the expectation (if i am reading correctly) that there be non-private, less expensive transportation available from DIA to Summit County/Keystone...that's well over 100 miles.....the majority of which is outside the Denver metropolitan area.

just curious.

and the reality is going to Summit County is to enter a highly organized, big business tourist exploitation machine. nothing is cheap up there....i don't ever go. i'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than to overpay.

Cam
1/7/2007, 06:33 PM
Private to me being you're the only party in the vehicle whereas public is going to be like Supper Shuttle that makes 4-5 stops before getting to the airport. I should've made the distinction, but didn't think about it.

To quote one of the guys I talked to on the phone: It's $365 plus tip for 3 people and it's $365 plus tip for 10 people.

Take for instance most other ski resort areas that we've been to: Heavenly, Alta, Durango, & Jackson Hole. They all had multiple companies that offered bus transportation to and from the resorts. These trips are usually no more than $30 round trip.

From DIA, you're either going to pay for 1 company (CME) who charges per person, or you're going to pay $365 for a one-way trip. By the time you factor in the costs, it's cheaper to rent an SUV for a week, which has never been the case at the other places mentioned above.

I expect to over pay once I get to the resort, that's just the way it is. Didn't expect to over pay just to get to the tourist trap though. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

King Crimson
1/7/2007, 07:02 PM
Private to me being you're the only party in the vehicle whereas public is going to be like Supper Shuttle that makes 4-5 stops before getting to the airport. I should've made the distinction, but didn't think about it.

i see. i'm surprised that there isn't an option like you outline above.....because DIA is usually crawling with ski vans like that (and larger ones) all around the ground transportation area. anyway, good luck.

at least with a rented vehicle you might have the option to get around.....and ski some other places....i used to really like Copper and A-Basin....and Breckenridge has more restaurant options etc.

King Crimson
1/7/2007, 07:06 PM
I expect to over pay once I get to the resort, that's just the way it is. Didn't expect to over pay just to get to the tourist trap though. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

it's a pretty shrewd business in Summit. and i've been to the Tahoe area and skied quite a bit at Crested Butte and Taos and all were better experiences IMO than the Summit County/Vail corridor. and in summers if i want to go to the mountains, we always go to the southern Colorado ranges.

DIA is about halfway to Wyoming....maybe that has some effect on teh pricing, i don't know.

Cam
1/7/2007, 07:27 PM
After looking at where the restaurants are, it looks like it might be better for us to get a car. It looks like most of the more casual places are located in Lakeside village and we're staying in mountainside village. We really need the casual places with the 4 year old. She did a great job last year the one time we ended up at a 5 star restaurant, but we ain't gonna push our luck again.