PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Johnson?You gotta be F'ing kidding me!

stoopified
1/5/2007, 11:57 AM
Caught Skip Bayless and crew this morning on ESPN.They were talking about Cowher and his legacy after he leaves the Steelers.Skip says Cowher is a very good coach but not great.

That state ment in itself I WON'T argue,as I neither like nor dislike Cowher.Skip followed this with the statement: COWHER DOES RANK WITH GREAT COACHES LIKE LOMBARDI,WALSH,LANDRY and JIMMY JOHNSON.WTF?Johnson was meiocre at gSu,won a NC with Scnellys players,won 2 Super Bowls at Dallas(with Jerrys deep pockets),then had a less than stellar stint at Miami.IS he a great coach just because because he won 2 Super Bowls?

I have never liked Johnson and freely admit that this colors my evaluation of him.However I fail to see how his overall body of work makes him a great coach.First he was mediocre at oSu,while his sucsessor had better results.Second he followed Scnelly who built Miami up and won a title by winning a title and jumping to the NFL.

At Dallas Jimmy was able to trade Walker for a bevy of draft picks to buld a team.Then there is the fact that Jones had more money than sense and WOULD pay ANYTHING for talent( no salary cap).Barry followed Jimmy and won a Super Bow( with less talent)l,which I think proved that it wasn't just Johnson's coaching that won.

Add to that the less than stellar tenure at Miami and it makes BULLET HEAD look like a good but not great coach.Cowher won a Super Bowl ,took his team to the playoffs 10 of 15 seasons,won 8 division titles. On second thought Skip IS right ,Cowher and Johnson aren't on the same level,Cowher is better.

southern sooner
1/5/2007, 12:03 PM
johnson blows... what did he do once there was free agency and a salary cap... sure when Jerry bought the best he had some success, as i recall once he left he went to one playoff game against jacksonville and got smoked by like 50 points....he is scared to get back into coaching cause he know the outcome...

sooners00
1/5/2007, 12:24 PM
^^^^^^^^

Woooooooo someone has no clue clue what they are talking about.

That post about Jimmy is as close as to clueless as it gets.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/5/2007, 01:11 PM
skip bayless had a labotomy at birth.

Flagstaffsooner
1/5/2007, 01:15 PM
Some *** hat on one of those silly espn shows yesterday, I think it was around the horn, said JJ should go back to the Miami fish.

Collier11
1/5/2007, 01:17 PM
: COWHER DOES RANK WITH GREAT COACHES LIKE LOMBARDI,WALSH,LANDRY and JIMMY JOHNSON.WTF?Johnson was meiocre at gSu,won a NC with Scnellys players,won 2 Super Bowls at Dallas(with Jerrys deep pockets),then had a less than stellar stint at Miami.IS he a great coach just because because he won 2 Super Bowls?

YOu need to be a little smarter before criticizing something that you apparently know nothing about. I too dont like JJ but to say he isnt a great coach is rediculous. Based on your statement about winning with schnellys players, I guess Bob Stoops is a average coach as well since he won with blakes players :rolleyes: And he only won two superbowls because of Jerry Jones' deep pockets. If thats the case, why hasnt Joe Torre won a ws lately, or the dallas mavericks, etc.. I only hope you are joking!

SelmaBamaFan
1/5/2007, 01:19 PM
Not to mention JJ made one of the best trades in the history of the NFL; the imfamous Hershell Walker trade.

TexasSooner01
1/5/2007, 01:19 PM
Jimmy Johnson is a penis.

RacerX
1/5/2007, 01:52 PM
It was Herschel Walker you morans.

BoonesFarmSooner
1/5/2007, 02:00 PM
JJ is the guy who wanted to draft Steve Walsh and then trade Aikman

Collier11
1/5/2007, 02:01 PM
JJ is the guy who wanted to draft Steve Walsh and then trade Aikman

Thats why Jerry made the trades and JJ coached

Luthor
1/5/2007, 03:49 PM
Of course not. He's a great coach because he has great hair. Any guy who has hair that can stand up under the pounding of a 10 gallon Gatoraid sunami is greatness personified. I thought everybody knew that.

85sooners
1/5/2007, 04:40 PM
:eek:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/5/2007, 05:00 PM
JJ is certainly not one of the "legendary" coaches of the game like Lombardi, Shula,Walsh, Landry,Parcells

Nor is he quite in the "great" coaches like Bellichik (sp), Noll,Cowher,Shanahan, etc.

I do think he fits in the category (like him or not) of the very good NFL coaches, though his longevity doesn't match up with some like Holmgren, Schottenheimer, Dan Reeves, etc.

Besides the King he is the only guy who was able to win a title in college and a Super Bowl. I don't think Switzer gets enough credit there, many say he just didn't get in the way. I don't buy that so I think you can't knock JJ there. I know that when JJ had the better players head-to-head against Barry he won, and when Barry did against JJ he won.

JJ can often/usually be an overbearing pompus azz but I don't think it is true to say he wasn't a good coach. If he announced he was getting back into coaching there were be several NFL teams and a bunch of college teams going after him. LSU would probably let their coach rip to get him.