PDA

View Full Version : columbus prepares for violence

soonerinabilene
1/5/2007, 11:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/news/story?id=2720603

Columbus prepares for rowdy behavior post title gameAssociated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The city will ban parking, empty trash bins and place undercover police officers in neighborhoods around Ohio State University to dissuade rowdy fan behavior following Monday night's national championship game, officials said Thursday.

The measures are similar to the plan the city used to minimize problems when the Buckeyes beat rival Michigan in Columbus on Nov. 18. Police arrested nearly 40 people and dozens of fires were set in student neighborhoods, but authorities reported a relatively smooth night and Ohio State President Karen Holbrook said she was generally pleased with the post-game celebrations.

The championship game between top-ranked Ohio State and No. 2 Florida will be played in Glendale, Ariz.

"This event isn't going to be like a home game when we have more than 100,000 people going in and out of Ohio Stadium," said Barb Seckler, the city's deputy safety director. "Nonetheless, we have a plan, and we are fully prepared."

Classes are in session, so dormitories and off-campus rental units will be packed with students, Seckler said.

"Our expectation is for a great night, a great victory and the best fans in the land celebrating with class," she said.

About 6,000 students, faculty and staff are expected to watch the game on a giant scoreboard at Value City Arena, which will be the largest concentration of people on campus Monday night, said school spokeswoman Liz Cook.

Democratic Gov.-elect Ted Strickland, who takes office early Monday morning, also plans to attend, a spokesman said.

Authorities won't reveal how many undercover officers and extra personnel will be deployed around campus.

Portable lights will be installed on street corners and alleys to make it easier for officers to monitor street activity, police spokeswoman Amanda Ford said

A Buckeyes' win over Michigan in 2002, which preserved Ohio State's last undefeated season en route to the national championship, touched off riots in which fans set fire to cars, couches and trash bins.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

i dont think there is enough force in the army to keep the thugs in that town from being violent. :rolleyes:

this really made me laugh
:"Our expectation is for a great night, a great victory and the best fans in the land celebrating with class," she said.

Flagstaffsooner
1/5/2007, 12:10 PM
Banning empty trash bins?

Luthor
1/5/2007, 12:18 PM
Well, let me assure you from 1st hand knowledge that the couch burners will be out en masse in the streets of Columbus. How much damage is done to the ozone layer above Columbus is simply a function of whether they win or lose. I don't know. Maybe it's the Viking heritage of all those pale skinned whities up there. Doesn't matter. The funeral pyres will be lit and the sofas will burn regardless.

TexasLidig8r
1/5/2007, 12:23 PM
Well, let me assure you from 1st hand knowledge that the couch burners will be out en masse in the streets of Columbus. How much damage is done to the ozone layer above Columbus is simply a function of whether they win or lose. I don't know. Maybe it's the Viking heritage of all those pale skinned whities up there. Doesn't matter. The funeral pyres will be lit and the sofas will burn regardless.

Or maybe it's the fact that they're a bunch of ill-bred, unwashed, midwestern cretins whose best part of them ran down their father's thigh at conception ?

TripleOption14
1/5/2007, 12:33 PM
I've got my pitch-forks, torches, and act right sticks all ready to go!!!! :D

OzarkSooner
1/5/2007, 12:36 PM
Banning empty trash bins?

Heh....I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they have to be in contention for a MNC to get the trash emptied in that town?

As one of my buddies used to have on a T-Shirt, "Journalists have a way with words, others....not have way."

SoonerStormchaser
1/5/2007, 01:04 PM
Doesn't matter how much preparation they do...COLUMBUS WILL BE ON FIRE BY TUESDAY MORNING!

Scott D
1/5/2007, 01:30 PM
I hope they burn the whole ****ing city down and take the unversity with em. I do however hope that the 5 people I know in that area including TO14 get the **** out before it's burned down. :)

TripleOption14
1/5/2007, 02:25 PM
I hope they burn the whole ****ing city down and take the unversity with em. I do however hope that the 5 people I know in that area including TO14 get the **** out before it's burned down. :)

HAHAHA :D I'm prepared for mob justice if it comes to that. :D But thanks!!

Herr Scholz
1/5/2007, 02:38 PM
They should officially change the school mascot from "Buckeyes" to "Couch Burners".

yermom
1/5/2007, 02:40 PM
i think the Mountaineers might take issue with that

Herr Scholz
1/5/2007, 03:31 PM
Those two stellar fanbases could have a burnoff for naming rights.

soonerinabilene
1/5/2007, 03:36 PM
its a good thing maurice is off the streets, or else they might've had to actually use the national guard.

Luthor
1/5/2007, 03:37 PM
Or maybe it's the fact that they're a bunch of ill-bred, unwashed, midwestern cretins whose best part of them ran down their father's thigh at conception ?

That is a definite possibility.

Oden!

85sooners
1/5/2007, 04:46 PM
:eek:

Scott D
1/5/2007, 05:21 PM
HAHAHA :D I'm prepared for mob justice if it comes to that. :D But thanks!!

in retrospect can we throw the whole state into an incinerator? :D

StormySooner-IN
1/5/2007, 09:50 PM
I hope they burn the whole ****ing city down and take the unversity with em. I do however hope that the 5 people I know in that area including TO14 get the **** out before it's burned down. :)One of those better me my cousin.

For the record, he is on the Walk-on for the bball team.

So I'm a 'fan';) for the basketball team.:rolleyes:

SO I SHOULD GO HELP BURN THE PLACE DOWN TOO!!!!!!:eek::D:D:D:D:D:hot:

StormySooner-IN
1/5/2007, 09:59 PM
in retrospect can we throw the whole state into an incinerator? :DHey, I had to suffer the pain of being BORN there:eek::(:mad:.

AND THATS ALSO MY GRANDMA YOU'RE TALIKNG ABOUT:mad:

AH, What the hell, LET R RIP!!:D:hot::hot:

Just as long as it doesn't cross over to my Loosier state. :eek:

bluedogok
1/6/2007, 08:14 PM
They should officially change the school mascot from "Buckeyes" to "Couch Burners".

I kinda think of WV as "Sofa Burners", couch seems far too proper for Morgantown.

mdklatt
1/7/2007, 12:49 PM
The measures are similar to the plan the city used to minimize problems when the Buckeyes beat rival Michigan in Columbus on Nov. 18. Police arrested nearly 40 people and dozens of fires were set in student neighborhoods, but authorities reported a relatively smooth night and Ohio State President Karen Holbrook said she was generally pleased with the post-game celebrations.

:rolleyes:

Can you force an entire state to join AA?

Seamus
1/7/2007, 01:18 PM

Perhaps they could get some coaching from Aggy ... :cool:

soonerloyal
1/7/2007, 01:39 PM
I don't suppose I really care if some idiots burn their town down around their own ears. Win or lose, it'll happen. I guess that's their way of doing things up there.

I just hope if it happens, it's because the Gators kick their azzes. :D

Big Red Ron
1/7/2007, 01:54 PM
Michigan fans should go undercover and burnd down the entire campus. Who would ever know?