PDA

View Full Version : Last at the Hornets/Pistons game

RacerX
1/5/2007, 07:12 AM
The crowd erupted when they showed the Paris twins were at the game.

It was pretty much the loudest the crowd was all night.

bluedogok
1/5/2007, 11:15 AM
Well, that was about the only cheer worthy thing about last nights game.

C&CDean
1/5/2007, 11:27 AM
I'll sure be glad when this whole hornets gag finally fizzles out.

RacerX
1/5/2007, 11:31 AM
:rolleyes:

C&CDean
1/5/2007, 11:34 AM
Don't you roll your eyes at me. OKC has gotten jerked off by the Hornets, and I hate the POS NBA with a passion. If we've gotta get an NBA team let's get one right.

RacerX
1/5/2007, 11:36 AM
I think it helped to do it with training wheels, prove the city would/could support it.

Plus, we went to see the Pistons.

C&CDean
1/5/2007, 11:38 AM
By "we" I'm assuming you mean "you" because I don't wanna see ANY NBA player/team. I'll take a 30-point Princeton game over a 130 point Lakers game any day.

Fugue
1/5/2007, 11:48 AM
y'all need to get the Penguins instead.

:pop:

C&CDean
1/5/2007, 11:49 AM
y'all need to get the Penguins instead.

:pop:

Yup. We've managed to support a second-rate hockey team for a decade or more now. Although I'm not crazy about soccer on ice either.

Fugue
1/5/2007, 11:53 AM
Yup. We've managed to support a second-rate hockey team for a decade or more now. Although I'm not crazy about soccer on ice either.

That is true. The Blazers had 17k at a game last year. If you got the Penguins you all would have mullets and be saying aboot within a month. :D

SoonerInKCMO
1/5/2007, 12:12 PM
Naw, the Penguins are coming here. Some reps from the team were in town the other day checking out the progress of the new arena. Certainly not a done deal but it seems to be pretty likely.

Scott D
1/5/2007, 12:46 PM
Naw, the Penguins are coming here. Some reps from the team were in town the other day checking out the progress of the new arena. Certainly not a done deal but it seems to be pretty likely.

Right now KC is the likeliest destination if they move. However, Mario is hedging his bets and talking to other cities including OKC. I think for KC it really hinges on if that Arena will be ready for 07/08 like Mario were told. It's more interesting to see if Pittsburgh or PA will actually rise to the challenge about the matter. I kind of doubt it since they've shot down every single attempt to either renovate Mellon or strike a deal for a new Arena.

RacerX
1/5/2007, 12:59 PM
D, that Argenite kid is big. Couldn't believe he's a guard.

Petro-Sooner
1/5/2007, 01:03 PM
Why are the penquins moving? This is the first I've heard aboot it. But I dont follow the sport anyway.

Scott D
1/5/2007, 01:08 PM
Delfino? eh...lots of 2 guards are 6'6. The situation up here with him is kind of odd though. Everyone wants him to do well, and it's clear he has talent. But there's some mental issue that comes up with him and his ability shows in spurts. He's definitely a streaky shooter but he has confidence issues at times. I think this year he's finally settled in to the fact that as long as Rip Hamilton is here, he's going to be coming in the game to spell him, and play a little small forward to give Tayshaun a break.

What I'm excited about this season is to see how Will Blaylock develops. He brings a totally different element to our game than Chauncey Billups does in that he's got that pure "pass first, shoot second" mentality. I'm kind of disappointed that he only got 16 minutes last night. Looks like Flip preferred partnering Hamilton with Murray in the backcourt. Looking at the stats I'm guessing that Delfino actually drove the basket more, which means he's got good confidence now. It's when he sits back and settles for taking long jumpers that it's a sign that his confidence is low.

Scott D
1/5/2007, 01:11 PM
Why are the penquins moving? This is the first I've heard aboot it. But I dont follow the sport anyway.

the franchise has gone bankrupt twice in the last 15 years, they have the oldest arena in pretty much any sport (45 years old). To go with that they have a terrible lease (which expires in June of this year), and after attempts to sell the franchise by Mario Lemieux have fallen through his options are basically moving the team, or using that leverage by the threat of moving the team to get Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania to do something with the arena situation.

Selfishly, I want the Penguins to move west so that the Red Wings can move to the Eastern Conference. Being the one of two teams in the Western Conference in the Eastern Time Zone is ridiculous when it comes to scheduling and road trips.

bri
1/5/2007, 01:28 PM
KC and OKC have positioned themselves to be pawns in teams' negotiations with their current cities. It's like MLB back in the late 80's and all through the 90's, when every single team that wanted a new stadium would use Tampa to make their disinterested city jealous...:D

Scott D
1/5/2007, 01:31 PM
KC and OKC have positioned themselves to be pawns in teams' negotiations with their current cities. It's like MLB back in the late 80's and all through the 90's, when every single team that wanted a new stadium would use Tampa to make their disinterested city jealous...:D

Well look at Tam........er wait. Bad analogy :)

bri
1/5/2007, 01:42 PM
Yes, after 15 years or so of waiting with their shiny new empty stadium, they finally got a team.

Well, a team of sorts. :D

Scott D
1/5/2007, 02:01 PM
But by god, Lou Pinella was the savior of their fra....er wait :D

bri
1/5/2007, 02:07 PM
Hey, let's leave Sweet Lou out of this...:mad:

;)

OUstud
1/5/2007, 05:23 PM
I think the only major league sport we could support is the NBA.

OCUDad
1/5/2007, 05:29 PM
If the Penguins settle in OKC, will they have to pay royalties to Penguin for naming rights?

Mjcpr
1/5/2007, 05:30 PM
I can hardly wait for the Penguins Penguin troll.

BigRedJed
1/5/2007, 05:53 PM
OK, bri is actually pretty close to right on this, although I think there is a decent chance the Penguins end up in KC. Virtually NO chance they end up here. As for "getting the NBA the right way," we've absolutely done that. OKC is doing all of the right things, including not kicking up a fuss at the Hornets leaving (which is a certainty), and hopefully, supporting them in spite of the departure.

Just because they were displaced by Katrina doesn't mean we were doing the wrong thing in hosting them, in fact it was absolutely the right thing. Letting them go back is also the right thing. Welcoming them with open arms (and hopefully a new owner) if they choke on it in NOLA (which is all but guaranteed) is the right thing to do.

Allowing the OKC-based owners of the Supersonics to move their team here if King County/Aberdeen/State of Washington tell them to go to hell like Seattle did is the right thing. I don't think that will happen, BTW. I would wager real cash that the Sonics are in greater Seattle next year (guaranteed), and the year after, and the year after... (likely).

If we get an expansion team (a distant possibility), it will be for one reason and one reason only, because we successfully hosted the Hornets. We're not getting jobbed here. We had a great opportunity to show what OKC is capable of, and we excelled. We need to keep excelling. Eventually we'll have a team. There's almost zippo chance that it will be the NHL, and every likelyhood that it will be an NBA team.

Witness Mick Cornett's comments in today's Oklahoman (http://www.newsok.com/article/2994872):

"Anything we do has to be with the knowledge we still expect to be an NBA city,” said Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett. "If that eliminates any thought of the NHL at this point, then so be it.”