PDA

View Full Version : Induldge me a trip report

47straight
1/5/2007, 02:50 AM
I was able to make myself load up soonerfans.com today for the first time since getting back. I'd like to share the cool stuff I saw and bitch a tiny amount about the rest. TIA.

My buddy from growing up who lives in Phoenix - F-16 instructor at Luke AFB, flew an OU flag over Iraq for me - got two tickets on the 40 yard line, 15 or so rows up. By chance, the tickets *right next to him* were on sale on ebay. I won them for a reasonable price! But the seller hadn't replied to me by the time I left for the airport. (more on that later).

Road the jet aeroliner from Austin with Paul Thompson - grandpop of the the more famous Paul Thompson. Retired military, shameless flirt with the airline ladies, 75-years of workin and raisin kids. Was extra-proud of Paul. Said he didn't like "that coach" after benching Paul. Didn't press him on which coach he meant, heh.

Seller from ebay - a real estate agent named Ben Brooks - ignored emails and phone calls. Day of the game I still didnt have tickets, so I found some in the same section on craigslist. Seems like everyone in Phoenix bought tickets hoping for some sort of .com price expansion. The dude was nice but ****ed he wasn't making more on the tickets.

Got to the stadium and walked around. My buddy had not been to an OU game since the 1993 OU-aTm game, which we attended together and sat in the north end zone. Going away for school and being deployed overseas for 5 years will keep you out of the attendance loop. I showed him the Sooner-1 semi truck. We watched the band goofing off and tried to head in.

The people in security freaked out b/c my woman had an SLR camera, which they reckoned was a "fancy professional job." 200 bucks at Best Buy and you too can win the esteem of minimum wage ****ers at the stadium. The guy at the gate said, "We're not going to argue with you. You are holding up the line." I replied, "There is noone in line. And this stadium was built with public funds, therefore you are indeed going to discuss this." He adjusted his tommy-lee-jones-highway-patrol glasses and went on. "We've been enforcing this rule all season long." I replied, "Lovely, this is the first time 60,000 of us have been here this season. We must have missed it." But I'm not bitter.

The stadium - I was underwhelmed.
First, if you have a roof - open it unless absolutely unfeasible under the weather conditions. Why berate us with news reports about the glories of the movable field and retractable roof, if you are going to keep it closed? Of course the movable field is necessary - the roof is never open for sunlight. After kickoff the haze of fireworks added to the hilarity of it all. They opened the roof halfway for part of halftime. Why, we'll never know.

Second, the upper deck was really far away from the field. I was down low, so maybe the other folks can comment on it, but it seemed like everything was far away.

I have heard comparisons to Reliant Stadium, and I think I like Reliant a lot more.

Cool things - the ring of honor entry featuring Pat Tillman was right behind me. The acapella singing group was exceptionally good. Hot dogs were good.

Back to my seats - I came up with the idea of offering whoever showed up for the seats I had won on ebay to switch seats with me. Some slimy, slick employee of Ben Brooks shows up, and demands 40 bucks to switch so I can sit with my friends. Seems like Ben Brooks gave the duckets to the ********* of the month instead of honoring his ebay contract, but so be it. Made me feel really sad for humanity. I know not all real estate/land developer folks are like this, always looking for the jugular. On the good side, these were the best seats I've ever had for a football game.

The OU fans around me kept the hope alive the whole game. The couple in front of me were Oklahoma transplants living in the deserts of New Mexico. Next to them was a lady and her 10 year old boy, who was a *sponge* of football knowledge.

There were drunk, annoying Potato State fans behind me. Really funny was the fan who claimed to be neutral, a Ohio State fan, but lead chant after chant of boise state. Then claimed that every pass-interfernce call was BS, despite our complete lack of an angle. Haters. One really drunk Potato Aggie behind me kept trying to give me **** for whatever I was yelling. Living amongst the whorns, I am used to ignoring fans who know nothing about football who only decide to talk **** when they have a few in them, By the end, he was saying good game.

Derek Schouman is a dirty, dirty, dirty player. Before he got flagged for 15, he dove at an OU defender's knees after the whistle. Best match between a tight end and a fan base I've seen in a while.

Leaving the game, there was a Texas fan cheering and clapping, sneering at the OU fans. He must have been looking forward to Texas's bowl game next year, to be played at Bowie High School or maybe the Cabela's in Buda.

Which reminds me of another great moment in the game. Armed forces servicemen were honored on the field, including a marine in a wheelchair. Idaho folks must not be too bad, they were cheering as loudly as the Okies. Glad Texas didn't make it to the game, as whorn fans would have been spitting on the guy. So, I guess in the hierarchy, Boise-is-not-a-state can't be that bad.

The game. It was literally wild. Wild wild. College basketball wild! Heh. I am proud of our team fighting back. I am horribly disappointed, but I know it is worse for them. But I could not be prouder of how they fought, and that's one of the most important things in life. They didn't give up. Neither did the other team, and that made it an enjoyable game, in all honesty.

On the way out, the sight of texas fan, clapping and sneering set me off the edge.

Outside the stadium, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting yermom and the one and only dolemite. I introduced myself to yermom, who was exhausted but still a nice guy and even wanted to know my real name. Dolemite was upset that I didn't know who he was. I pointed out he didn't have his name on his shirt! No real name was offered, but I did see his pillow! He punctured the still crowd walking back to the parking lots with occasional "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR"'s of frustration. Believe it or not, it made me feel better. So - thanks Dolemite.

My first OU bowl. I don't think I'll see another one as crazy, and maybe not one with as heartbreaking an ending. But it was in primo seats, with a girl who fetched me hot dogs and cokes because she wanted me to enjoy the game, and with a best friend who hadnt seen a game in 13 years. His wife didn't like the college game before the game, but was a believer now. The team I loved fought back and fought hard. I can't have everything in life, but it's pretty blessed.

Though Ben Brooks does owe me some cash for getting the seats that were rightfully mine!

SoonerTerry
1/5/2007, 03:05 AM
Outstanding post 47. Big SPEK.. I just wish I had a green speker:D

Do you have a pic of the OU flag being flown opver Iraq? I would love to have that as an avatar.

Sounds like an experience that comes not so often, I'm glad for you to have it.

Great Post!

47straight
1/5/2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks Terry. The flag was folded up and in the cockpit of the F-16, so I don't have a pic of the flag during the sortie, which I think might be what you're looking for. That indeed would be cool, but probably wasn't feasible to pull off. I was plenty pleased with it, though! My buddy got a certificate printed up and everything. The flag was the old-style "disco OU".

I haven't had it framed yet, it will cost a little bit. I think I will frame the certificate, the flag, and a pic we took the day after the game of the two of us in front of his plane.

On the game - anyone else notice that PT was listed in the program as a wide receiver! heh.
I think I

AlbqSooner
1/5/2007, 08:32 AM
But I could not be prouder of how they fought, and that's one of the most important things in life. They didn't give up.
That kind of captures the entire season. The players on this team have learned a lesson that they will call upon many times throughout their lives.

Great post. Thanks.

virginiasooner
1/5/2007, 09:05 AM
Great trip report. Similar experience with my camera, but I did find a kindly Sooner from California to take care of it. And after getting into the stadium, I saw several SLRs. Wonder which security checkpoint they went through? Loved my seats in the upper deck, on the 35 yard line, saw everything! And the Pride looked great. Boise State band looked puny. Boy, I am looking forward to traveling to Boulder this fall!

westcoast_sooner
1/5/2007, 10:14 AM
I like the "Potato Aggie" nickname.

LSUdeek
1/5/2007, 10:40 AM
The people in security freaked out b/c my woman had an SLR camera, which they reckoned was a "fancy professional job." 200 bucks at Best Buy and you too can win the esteem of minimum wage ****ers at the stadium. The guy at the gate said, "We're not going to argue with you. You are holding up the line." I replied, "There is noone in line. And this stadium was built with public funds, therefore you are indeed going to discuss this." He adjusted his tommy-lee-jones-highway-patrol glasses and went on. "We've been enforcing this rule all season long." I replied, "Lovely, this is the first time 60,000 of us have been here this season. We must have missed it." But I'm not bitter.

Please link me to a $200 SLR camera. :D

birddog
1/5/2007, 10:51 AM
entertaining read first thing in the a.m.

47straight
1/5/2007, 10:54 AM
Similar experience with my camera, but I did find a kindly Sooner from California to take care of it. And after getting into the stadium, I saw several SLRs. Wonder which security checkpoint they went through?

I saw your story - and that was awesome that someone would help you out like that. We need more people like that in the world. My girlfriend surmised that it didn't through because women were patting down women. She said that in similar cases, women (going to make a generalization, but it was her not me!) don't understand the technology as much and are more likely to say that her camera is "professional" just because it looks fancy. We did try several security lines, though!

Please link me to a $200 SLR camera.

Heh. If you don't mind having a *film* camera instead of digital, the bases should run around 220 or so on amazon! Lenses of course seem to keep their value.

Boomer.....
1/5/2007, 11:00 AM
File a dispute on Paypal and get your money back. Leave a really nasty feedback!

virginiasooner
1/5/2007, 11:30 AM
47 straight: I am a woman, was searched by a woman, and called over her supervisor after I complained about their asinine rules. Funny, the Rose Bowl didn't seem to have a problem! And I've had my Nikon 5000 since my younger sister's wedding (1993). yeah, my telephoto lens is heavy, and if I heaved it onto the field someone could have gotten hurt. But that lens cost me nearly $200! I'm not about to chuck it in a fit of pique! I don't want to break down and buy a digital camera for similar situations. I guess I'll have to get disposable cameras with lousy optics for future bowl trips.

47straight
1/10/2007, 03:30 AM
Update: The guy on ebay is giving me the difference in the price of tickets caused by me having to pay off his slimy employee to trade seats! Just had to volley several polite emails back and forth with his assistant. Never threatened anything big or acted rude, just asked for the 40 bucks. He claimed that the listing on ebay had been removed before the auction ended, and I just sent the link to the auction showing otherwise and offering to investigate any possible technical problems if they could give me something to go on. Obviously, they didn't. ;)

Yay for me! This is 4 successful negotiations that I have carried out online via e-mail or chat. If only I could buy a car through e-mail.

And yes its just 40 bucks but I felt really kicked in the gut over the whole thing.

Boomer.....
1/10/2007, 08:36 AM
Good to hear!

SoonerMajic
1/10/2007, 10:57 AM
Yay for me! This is 4 successful negotiations that I have carried out online via e-mail or chat. If only I could buy a car through e-mail.

I always use e-mail, fax and telephone to buy cars. It saves tons of time, slows down the negotiating process, and helps shield you from pressure or simply making rash decisions.

It also makes it very easy to shop deals around.

Pricetag
1/10/2007, 01:47 PM
Outside the stadium, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting yermom and the one and only dolemite. I introduced myself to yermom, who was exhausted but still a nice guy and even wanted to know my real name. Dolemite was upset that I didn't know who he was. I pointed out he didn't have his name on his shirt! No real name was offered, but I did see his pillow! He punctured the still crowd walking back to the parking lots with occasional "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR"'s of frustration. Believe it or not, it made me feel better. So - thanks Dolemite.

I ran into yermom and Instigator in a convenience store after the game. I'm such a dork when meeting folks from the board--I never give my real name.

There was a vaguely familiar looking kid outside talking on a cell phone when I left the place. I thought he might be a poster, but I wasn't sure.

dolemitesooner
1/10/2007, 04:47 PM
I ran into yermom and Instigator in a convenience store after the game. I'm such a dork when meeting folks from the board--I never give my real name.

There was a vaguely familiar looking kid outside talking on a cell phone when I left the place. I thought he might be a poster, but I wasn't sure.
It was me dolemitto ZZZ YO!!!!, DUHH Who else do you think would be at a football game with yermom