PDA

View Full Version : The future of PT...

goingoneight
1/5/2007, 02:01 AM
While I believe PT could impress a lot more than some so-called quarterbacks in the NFL, namely Rex Grossman and bench boy Drew Bledsoe, I don't really see anyone taking PT in the draft. Nor free-agent. I'm very sad to say this because if anyone deserves a few million, he does.

I don't even think he had enough quality time, reps and highlight reels at WR to get a nod, but we'll let the combine decide that. I hear he's an excellent pitcher, though... he really seems to like sports, so hopefully a sports-related career is in his future. Maybe he'll pull a reverse Weinke, go into the major league, and actually retire before he's seventy!!! :D

Paul Thompson,
A lot of people are bugging about the status of Stoops, AD, you know.. the usual. Needless to say, I appreciated you. And I never doubted you coming back to QB in 2006. Unlike the naysayers, I was excited to see PT as "the guy." You impressed me, you did a lot better than Rhomar did. I know you'll say you had more experienced receivers or something humble like that, but IMHO, you rarely forced anything, and you believed in your teammates around you. If OUr talented young players have half the wit, patience, class and natural athletic ability you displayed this season, I say we're in great shape. Again, thank you... and good luck in everything you do.

Oh, yeah... BOOMER FREAKIN' SOONER!

Collier11
1/5/2007, 02:11 AM
He wont be drafted, I dont see any scenario where that happens. I think someone will give him a shot because he is such a character guy, whether its at reciever or qb I dont know, but I would doubt that he could make a roster. If there was anyone who ever deserved to make money playing football, it is him though and I hope he does!

rainiersooner
1/5/2007, 08:41 AM
I think successful character driven people can be successful in whatever endeavor they choose...if it's not the NFL (and we all agree it probably can't be), he'll be very successful at something else. Hell, I'd give him a job, wouldn't you?

TUSooner
1/5/2007, 08:52 AM
I think successful character driven people can be successful in whatever endeavor they choose...if it's not the NFL (and we all agree it probably can't be), he'll be very successful at something else. Hell, I'd give him a job, wouldn't you?

Heck yeah. BUt I think it won't be too long before he is the guy giving out the jobs.

OUmillenium
1/5/2007, 09:02 AM
Great guy, but I don't seem him ever playing QB in the NFL. But if Radio can do it, anybody can so...

BIG_IKE
1/5/2007, 09:17 AM
I don't seem him playing in the NFL. He doesnt seem fast enough to play receiver, and QB...well...great guy, but even great College QB's have massive hurdles to climb in the NFL.
I think he will coach...

sooneron
1/5/2007, 09:24 AM
He should consider a career in broadcast. Good voice and he really presents himself well. I wish he could make a roster, but I just don't see it happening as much as I would like to see it.
Maybe e should make a go if it in NFL Euro or the CFL.

TexasLidig8r
1/5/2007, 12:17 PM
... But if Radio can do it, anybody can so...

It would appear that you and Merrill Hoge are the only village idoits who believe that nonsense... :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2007, 12:25 PM
Vince is ugly but damm he is a winner! Do you realize that only 2 QB's have won Rookie of the year and then think of all the great qb's who sucked bad their first year and realize that even though I hate Vince...he is a winner through and through.

Collier11
1/5/2007, 12:34 PM
Great guy, but I don't seem him ever playing QB in the NFL. But if Radio can do it, anybody can so...

Hell, how many chances did they give eric crouch...maybe there is hope

colleyvillesooner
1/5/2007, 12:55 PM
It would appear that you and Merrill Hoge are the only village idoits who believe that nonsense... :rolleyes:

So is Hornfans.com back to normal now that the VY's team is out of the playoffs? They should probably rename it Titanfans.com on Sundays. And the Hoge fascination is pathetic. They're are always gonna be guys that don't like certain types of players.

OSUAggie
1/5/2007, 01:05 PM
If fu***** Carlyle Holiday can do it, who can't?

Octavian
1/5/2007, 01:08 PM

Tone Jones

TexasSooner01
1/5/2007, 01:16 PM
Houston needs a QB. PT is I/M/O better than DC. DC is way overpaid and needs to be benched for life!

starrca23
1/5/2007, 01:44 PM
Paul Thompson in the NFL would be like Jason Cambell for the Redskins.

Mjcpr
1/5/2007, 01:49 PM
Reign it in, people. PT is not going to be an NFL QB. I like PT as much as the next guy but I just don't see that happening.

Of course, I was wrong about Radio too...... :D

proudsoonergal
1/5/2007, 01:58 PM
Matt Jones is a decent receiver in the NFL.

BIG_IKE
1/5/2007, 02:11 PM

hey hey hey now...I went to High School with Carlyle Holiday and he is a much better athlete than Paul Thompson.

Collier11
1/5/2007, 02:23 PM
hey hey hey now...I went to High School with Carlyle Holiday and he is a much better athlete than Paul Thompson.
ya, his career at ND was so much better than PT:rolleyes:

soonerinabilene
1/5/2007, 02:28 PM
if he can still catch like he did in the red/white game last spring, i think he could be a really good possesion receiver. may not be good for a long bomb, but for first downs and keeping the ball moving, the dude looked great at that.

StuIsTheMan
1/5/2007, 02:44 PM
I don't think it would be to far off to say he could go in the late rounds as a reciever...I think he could go...But hey I thought JW would get a shot too...But a reciever with his talents at thowing the ball...maybe a double threat...The Bronco's(Denver not Boise) always takes good looks at players like this...Shanahan(?) loves all around atheletes...If not I would pay him well to play catch with me and boys all day...

OSUAggie
1/5/2007, 03:22 PM
Tone Jones

Toné...

3rd leading passer in school history, and just a shade under 50% passer for his career... Shoulda won a Heisman.

RedstickSooner
1/5/2007, 03:58 PM
Didn't our coaches say that part of the move to wideout was that it was the position he'd play at the next level?

I realize coaches like to blow a lot of smoke up our collective arses, but they sure *acted* like he had a shot at the NFL as a wideout, didn't they? If that were the case, shouldn't he still have a reasonable chance, provided he prepares for the combine & polishes his route-running & such?

soonerlaw
1/5/2007, 04:12 PM
As much as I love PT and what he has accomplished for OU, I just don't think he had enough playing time and showed enough to play QB at the next level. And unfortunately for PT, I think his choice to come back to QB really hurt his shot at playing WR in the NFL. That being said, he is a gracious and intelligent young man who is also an extremely gifted athlete, and I would believe that some team would have a place for him at some position.

MI Sooner
1/5/2007, 05:25 PM
PT stands zero chance of playing in the NFL, IMO. You guys saw the Fiesta Bowl. His deep throws were terrible. Also, for a fast guy, he's the easiest guy to tackle in the open field I've ever seen.

I just wish he wouldn't have stunk up the joint against TCU in 2005, so he could have started for two years. I think we would have had more success both years. The first pass that game may be, to this day, the worst throw I've ever seen.

As for VY (or is it "Fumbles McScrambles?"), I'm still of the opinion that he's a poor man's Michael Vick. I'm also of the opinion that Michael Vick is an average NFL quarterback (somewhere in the middle third). If you gave me a pick of any of the recently drafted QBs who are now starting, I'd definately take Leinert and Rivers ahead of young, and maybe Eli, too. I've probably left some out, too.

He was a great college QB, though.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/5/2007, 05:37 PM
I really doubt his future is in pro football but the dude is going to be a success somewhere. Don't know what his degree will be in but he will be a leader in his field.

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2007, 05:43 PM
Paul doesn't have an NFL arm. He's a tough guy, has good running ability, and has a decent arm but he floats it too much on some deep balls and some of the things you get away with in college won't happen in the NFL. He could catch on as a backup, improve and make his way up, but I don't see him being drafted above the 5th round.

Octavian
1/5/2007, 06:22 PM
Toné...

3rd leading passer in school history, and just a shade under 50% passer for his career... Shoulda won a Heisman.

had a decent rap career too...

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5499/tvv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Big Red Ron
1/5/2007, 07:08 PM
I think he would be a great recruiter and WR coach in the future. I'd love for him to be a graduate assistant next season.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Wes Welker was a great wide reciever in college but let's get serious he will NEVER make it in the NFL. And also there is no way that a 7th Round Reciever out of Hofstra will make a bigger impact than All World Reggie Bush in New Orleans. Zach Thomas is way too small to ever play linebacker at the next level. Tom Brady might make a decent backup but that is about the limit of his potential.

Big Red Ron
1/5/2007, 07:20 PM
Hey Wes Welker was a great wide reciever in college but let's get serious he will NEVER make it in the NFL. And also there is no way that a 7th Round Reciever out of Hofstra will make a bigger impact than All World Reggie Bush in New Orleans. Zach Thomas is way too small to ever play linebacker at the next level. Tom Brady might make a decent backup but that is about the limit of his potential.Didn't Jerry Rice play Div 2 ball and ran a 4.6 40?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2007, 07:21 PM
Yep and he turned out really ****ty too!

Big Red Ron
1/5/2007, 07:23 PM
Yep and he turned out really ****ty too!Really! Especially when he was in his 18th year and his 40 time was closer to 4.9 than 4.6.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/5/2007, 07:30 PM
Also remember that Dallas's QB Tony Romo was SO impressive that every team decided it would be best not to draft him at all. And we all know that he has had no chance at the NFL the whole time he was starting for one of the most historic teams in professional sports.

And a 4.9 Rice was still better than anyone else on the Raiders and pretty much on the Seahawks too :P

Big Red Ron
1/5/2007, 07:38 PM
Honestly, I think PT will get a shot in the NFL at WR. Remember, we didn't have a back up QB this year, PT couldn't run or be aggresive while running because we would have be screwed with Halzle out there.

DustySooner
1/5/2007, 07:52 PM
I think he should take up a job in coaching as well if the NFL doesn't work out. Judging by how he interacted with his fellow teammates and coaches..I think he could would do great at molding athletes.

trey
1/5/2007, 11:25 PM
Wrong!! How many yards receiving did Matt Jones and Bolden have in college. Did you watch the spring game? I was thinking he had possible AA potential and at the worst All Big XII potential. At his size, knowledge, speed, and leadership skills....to say he can't play in the NFL is crazy. Fullbacks can't play in the NFL either...how is J.D. doing?

So a 6'4" 210 pound guy who understands the QB position with more than adequate speed has nothing in common with Jones or Bolden? With JD what I am trying to say is why don't you let the NFL decide who can and can't play in their league because you obviously have no clue. Quit being a noob

SoonerGM
1/5/2007, 11:47 PM
its funny to me because so many of you guys counted him out after a half of game, and every one of you were wrong. then you spent the entire season blowing sunshine up the guys butt and using the whole "hindsight being 20/20" to cover up your overly judgemental ways.

the reasoning doesnt even make sense, and is actually contradictory to recent draft picks.

i say, if nobody drafts this guy, someone will at least pick him up as a free agent. from there, there is no doubt in my mind that he can and will work his way up from there and get some playing time, no matter what position they give him a shot at.

and how can anyone say the guy doesnt have and NFL arm?? i mean, i agree that right now his deep ball accuracy blows, but the ball gets there with no problems. he has a strong arm, period.

goingoneight
1/6/2007, 12:01 AM
I wouldn't worry about explaining arm strength around here. Not everyone, but a lot of these folks seemed to think Bomar had good arm strength and Jason White didn't. Need I point out which quarterback threw the ball sixty-plus yards in the air and right on the money consistently and a lot and which quarterback never, I mean NEVER... connnected on a deep ball. How do you not connect on a deep ball with Malcom Kelly? :confused:

Collier11
1/6/2007, 02:25 AM
true GO8, its not necessarily about arm-strength but rather how far you can throw the ball accurately. JW was one of the most accurate deep-ball passers I have ever seen

Big Red Ron
1/6/2007, 02:32 AM
true GO8, its not necessarily about arm-strength but rather how far you can throw the ball accurately. JW was one of the most accurate deep-ball passers I have ever seenMe too but as a 49er fan, I can tell you and the history books will show that neither Joe Montana nor Steve Youg had "strong arms" but almost everytime they went deep it was on target!

Collier11
1/6/2007, 02:36 AM
I still to this day can NOT be convinced that if Heupel would have been given a shot and stayed healthy, he would still be playing and poor JW and his knees, its almost not fair

Big Red Ron
1/6/2007, 02:41 AM
poor JW and his knees, its almost not fairYou know this cuz you're a smart guy but life ain't fair. Jason White will have a wonderful life. God just needed him for more important things that the NFL. It's the ONLY way to rationalize that situation.:(

Collier11
1/6/2007, 03:48 AM
this is true. jason white is a very smart and charming person(despite what some people say) and he will do fine, I just would have liked to see him get a better chance and not some token oppurtunity