Miami - Cameron
Arizona - Wisenhunt
Oakland - Kiffin
Pittsburgh - Tomlin
Dallas -
?

Rhino
1/5/2007, 12:21 AM
NYG, after they lose in the first round.

RacerX
1/5/2007, 12:28 AM
I forgot that one. I think he'll get canned if they don't make it to the Conf title game.

Surley somebody will take Pete.

Rhino
1/5/2007, 12:47 AM
With the recent (lack) of success of college coaches making the jump, you'd think NFL teams would stay far, far away from them. At least Pete had a "winning" percentage there.

('94, '97-'99) Pete Carroll: 34-33 (50.7%)
(95-'98, '03-'04) Dennis Erickson: 40-56 (41.7%)
('01-'04) Butch Davis: 24-36 (40.0%)
('02-'03) Steve Spurrier: 12-20 (37.5%)
('05-'06) Nick Saban: 15-17 (46.9%)

TOTAL: 115-162 (41.5%)

birddog
1/5/2007, 12:53 AM
With the recent (lack) of success of college coaches making the jump, you'd think NFL teams would stay far, far away from them. At least Pete had a "winning" percentage there.

that's what i was thinkin. and a college coach would have to be crazy to leave a "good" college program to take on the nfl.

RacerX
1/5/2007, 07:08 AM
Not crazy, just egomaniacal.

RacerX
1/7/2007, 11:01 PM
coughlin is on the clock

RacerX
1/7/2007, 11:02 PM
Pittsburgh will probably promote an assistant.

BeetDigger
1/7/2007, 11:30 PM

I was thinking that Pete made the jump from the NFL to college, not the other way around.

Recent success has not been good, folks continue to search for another Bill Walsh, or at least a John Robinson (who did take the Rams to the Super Bowl I believe). And of course Jimmy Johnson had a pretty good run.

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2007, 11:41 PM
miami is considering jim mora jr and chan gailey

chan gailey? puhleeze.....bad idea

GrapevineSooner
1/8/2007, 01:04 AM
chan gailey? are you kidding me?

Pfft, don't talk about chan gailey!

Rhino
1/8/2007, 01:13 AM
I was thinking that Pete made the jump from the NFL to college, not the other way around. He was an assistant and coordinator at the college level for ten years before jumping to the NFL. Granted it wasn't head coach to head coach, but you'd think he (like Callahan) would realize the NFL just isn't for them.

RacerX
1/8/2007, 07:32 AM
Today's rumor, Miami is interviewing/has interviewed Pete.

RacerX
1/8/2007, 07:33 AM
Chan Gailey = the best O-Coordinator Kordell Stewart ever had.

jk the sooner fan
1/8/2007, 07:46 AM
will be interesting to see the fallout of a pete carroll goes to the pro's on recent recruit commits.....

BeetDigger
1/8/2007, 10:22 AM
He was an assistant and coordinator at the college level for ten years before jumping to the NFL. Granted it wasn't head coach to head coach, but you'd think he (like Callahan) would realize the NFL just isn't for them.

If I remember correctly, wasn't he an assistant in the NFL before he became an NFL head coach? I remember him being the DC for the Jets when Olindo Mare missed a FG and classy Pete made the throat slash gesture to imply that he choked. I was thinking he then went on to become a head coach in the NFL after he was the Jets DC. And no, I can't imagine he would go to the NFL again.

Oh, and can anybody remind me what school Nick Saban's dad, Lou (who was a pretty decent NFL head coach and college head coach for a number of years), is coaching at? It is a Division III school. I think that he is something like 84 years old.

Mjcpr
1/8/2007, 10:33 AM
Oh, and can anybody remind me what school Nick Saban's dad, Lou (who was a pretty decent NFL head coach and college head coach for a number of years), is coaching at? It is a Division III school. I think that he is something like 84 years old.

Penn State?

Rhino
1/8/2007, 10:47 AM
If I remember correctly, wasn't he an assistant in the NFL before he became an NFL head coach? Granted it wasn't head coach to head coach, but you'd think he (like Callahan) would realize the NFL just isn't for them.

Oh, and can anybody remind me what school Nick Saban's dad, Lou (who was a pretty decent NFL head coach and college head coach for a number of years), is coaching at? It is a Division III school. I think that he is something like 84 years old. From all I can tell, he last coached at Chowan University in Murfreesboro, N.C. for one year. He resigned in 2002 after going 0-10.

RacerX
1/8/2007, 11:11 AM
Not a big enough font for me to type this -

EGO

BeetDigger
1/8/2007, 11:46 AM
Granted it wasn't head coach to head coach, but you'd think he (like Callahan) would realize the NFL just isn't for them.

I understand that, but he didn't go from a being a college head coach to being an NFL head coach. The chronolgy was college assistant (where he was pretty good) to being an NFL assistant (where he was also pretty good) to NFL head coach (where he was not pretty good) to college head coach (where he is pretty good). The other coaches were college head coach to NFL head coach. That's the point I was trying to make that you were missing.

Rhino
1/8/2007, 11:57 AM
You must've missed where I understood and conceded that point.

Scott D
1/8/2007, 04:40 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't he an assistant in the NFL before he became an NFL head coach? I remember him being the DC for the Jets when Olindo Mare missed a FG and classy Pete made the throat slash gesture to imply that he choked. I was thinking he then went on to become a head coach in the NFL after he was the Jets DC. And no, I can't imagine he would go to the NFL again.

just a correction, Lou Saban is an older cousin of Nick. Not his father.

RacerX
1/17/2007, 07:19 AM
Wisenhunt to Arizona. A team that has 1 winning season in the last 19 years.

RacerX
1/22/2007, 03:20 PM
parcells goes bye.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/23/2007, 01:11 AM
Raiders seem to be hiring USC offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin. So part of Rah-Rah Carroll's staff will be gutted.

RacerX
1/23/2007, 09:25 AM
Not that it will happen, but it was mentioned that Lovie is like the next to last in salary. He has one year left. Jerry Jones is really interested in him.

That and Petrino's salary starts with a 4, so Lovie should be able to ask for 5.

Lovie was coach of the year last year and as we all know, in the Super Bowl this year.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2007, 09:30 AM
i sorta think jerry wants to take a "hot coach and team" into his new stadium.....he may go for another dave campo for a year or so

Mjcpr
1/23/2007, 09:34 AM
There just isn't that many impressive candidates being listed. Wade Phillips? Norv Turner? Meh.

Not to mention coordinators.

BeetDigger
1/23/2007, 04:43 PM
i sorta think jerry wants to take a "hot coach and team" into his new stadium.....he may go for another dave campo for a year or so

Dan Reeves? Former Cowboy, took a weak Falcons team to the SuperBowl, been to four SuperBowls. Wasn't the best coach for Elway, but certainly wasn't the worst one either - therefore could be a decent coach to continue to develop Romo. From a stop gap approach, he could be an attractive candidate.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2007, 04:47 PM
you know i saw Reeves at that college game and he seems ready to come back, i dont know if Jones would be interested in him or not

seems like the "old guy" deal doesnt work so much anymore

Mjcpr
1/23/2007, 04:53 PM
I think I'd prefer giving a young guy a chance over some of the old recycled guys that are out there; everybody from both Super Bowl teams are still available after all.

BeetDigger
1/23/2007, 04:59 PM
you know i saw Reeves at that college game and he seems ready to come back, i dont know if Jones would be interested in him or not

seems like the "old guy" deal doesnt work so much anymore

True. I just threw his name out there as it fits your Campo thought. If Jerry wants to be cheap, I am sure Reeves would come at nearly any price. I imagine the guy wants to win a SB as the head coach so badly that he would take any job and the fact that the Cowboys are a team that is well stocked with talent, he wouldn't need to do any rebuilding.

Among the young guys, it seems that Les Miles is getting the most love from the media. Petrio would have been a nice fit. What assistants do the Pats have? Rib boy was a pretty good hire for the Jets.

Scott D
1/23/2007, 05:03 PM
It'd be nice to see Ron Rivera get a legitimate shot.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2007, 05:05 PM
les miles has gotten some play on the radio today....you know, i was surprised to see his resume, its better than i thought it was....hate to admit that, he's still a tool though

ron rivera is the hot assistant

wade phillips is getting alot of press because he's the 3-4 guru.....and apparently he would bring jason garrett as the offensive

i wonder if norm chow is a possibility

BeetDigger
1/23/2007, 05:08 PM
It'd be nice to see Ron Rivera get a legitimate shot.

Don't disagree. However, teams have to wait two more weeks to get him. Gary Kubiak was in the same quandry. He was a hot name during Denver's two SB wins. However, the vacancies were filled by the time he was available. Then, when Denver was not in the playoffs, folks didn't interview him as he wasn't such a hot commodity anymore. I know Kubiak felt like he deserved a shot, long before the Texans hired him.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2007, 05:10 PM
the DMN reported that Jones is starting to interview the assistants

if he hires a "no name", he's already tossed in the next 2 seasons

Mjcpr
1/23/2007, 06:23 PM
What's the harm in waiting for Rivera at this point? I'd be alright with that.

Scott D
1/23/2007, 07:15 PM
the major concern as I understand it is that waiting for Rivera means that there's a small window to get assistants in.

BeetDigger
1/23/2007, 08:49 PM
the major concern as I understand it is that waiting for Rivera means that there's a small window to get assistants in.

The other thing I am hearing is that Lovie is not being offered enough in his extension. Perhaps Chicago feels that if Lovie gets upset and they end up parting ways, even if they do win the SuperBowl, they will promote Rivera. If that is the case, Lovie is available. However, that scenario requires tons of things to happen and Dallas can't count on it happening.

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2007, 09:02 PM

Bingo.

Scott D
1/23/2007, 09:25 PM
The other thing I am hearing is that Lovie is not being offered enough in his extension. Perhaps Chicago feels that if Lovie gets upset and they end up parting ways, even if they do win the SuperBowl, they will promote Rivera. If that is the case, Lovie is available. However, that scenario requires tons of things to happen and Dallas can't count on it happening.

Just another reason that goes to show how every owner in the city of Chicago tend to be tightwads.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/24/2007, 04:59 AM
Just another reason that goes to show how every owner in the city of Chicago tend to be tightwads.
I always loved the quote Mike Ditka had about George Halas: "He throws nickels around like they were manhole covers."

BeetDigger
1/24/2007, 10:12 AM

Yeah, tight owners and Chicago sports go hand in hand.