PDA

View Full Version : College Football Bowl discussions at work - OU, BSU, ND, LSU, Michigan, etc.

lexsooner
1/4/2007, 09:47 PM
One of the nice things about living and working in Lexington, Kentucky, is it is a crossroads for fans from the Big Ten, SEC, and the transient work force brings fans of many teams across the country. Accordingly, I get many perspectives from Michigan, Ohio St., ND, Big Ten, SEC fans:

Except for a couple of immature idiots who laughed about Boise St. beating us, the objective and intelligent fans at work acknowledged BSU was for real and was a legitimately good team which deserved to win. None of these fans said OU should never have lost to a lowly school like BSU. Rather, they all likened Boise to an up and coming program like Wake Forest, and were amazed by BSU's performance.

Michigan fans are really angry with Lloyd Carr. They feel he runs an outdated system and his conservative schemes came up short against a pro style team like USC which has even better athletes. Irrespective of their fine season this year, they felt embarrassed by Michigan's performance against USC, because some of these fans had spent great energy arguing Michigan should have been in a rematch title game. Michigan man Les Miles' name has come up as a replacement for Carr. Apparently Michigan loves to replace coaches with Michigan men, but Bo's death may change things.

As of last night, the honeymoon is over for Charlie Weis and ND. Their blowout loss to LSU and record bowl loss streak were humiliating and easily made them the laughingstock of the bowl season (thanks, ND). There is a concern ND will always be a second tier school because their academic standards restrict their recruiting, and also their upper crust Catholic environment/screwing of Tyrone Willingham turns off many recruits, esp. African American players. Wise observers of the domers feel the lovable fat jokes about Weis from ND fans will turn vicious next season, and ESPN's lead photo today on its website "Sugar Low" with fat Weis' picture was an indicator.

The good news is the consensus is OU and a handful of other programs like Ohio St., Florida, Texas, LSU, USC, sit above everyone else as far as recruiting and talent and performance, and everyone else falls at least a tier below us. The bottom line is OU is viewed as a top tiered program which lost to a very deserving Boise St. team, but we will continue to regularly compete for national titles in the coming years.

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 09:52 PM
Interesting insight. Thanks.
But the more I ponder it, the more I conclude we pretty much gave BSu the game. However, like a competent big-time team should do, they very ably took what we offered and made us pay.

bluesmagoo
1/4/2007, 10:14 PM
LSU... makes me want to puke. They are relative newcomers to the scene, I wish they would fade away into the sunset.

soonermeteor
1/4/2007, 10:20 PM
Great post. I've been reading/hearing the same. We played another Texas game and like Texas BSU took advantage of it. As much as I hated hearing that "giving stones" crap, it was true. Boise State wanted that game badly and took any opportunity to put us away. That doesn't mean we didn't want it, but they were obviously willing to risk everything to win. I've heard a lot of respect for OU still because they played this hard fought game into overtime. With a signature QB, we could make a good run with the team we have.

Octavian
1/4/2007, 10:26 PM
good post...

Our record and accomplishments speak for themselves.

As long as Bob is here, OU will remain in the upper echelon in the country (though that seems an odd position to have to defend when we've WON MORE GAMES THAN ANYONE this decade).

As for winning another NC, we'll need to get something every other national title team gets when they win one (and something we've been a little short on lately) - pure luck.

If Bob stays long enough we'll stay around near the top, and sometime the chips will fall our way again.

The future is bright.

Blues1
1/4/2007, 10:26 PM
As Far as Most College "Non Sooner" Football Fans see it I think Losing by 1 Point in overtime to a Wac team is Not that big of a deal - They see it as a Exciting game and one that was fun to watch.
Losing 42 to 43 is not like we layed down and died.....
A 7 to 6 Loss would have been a lot worse in most folks eyes... plus a dull game..JHMO....

StormySooner-IN
1/4/2007, 10:35 PM
Want to here about my day today at Middle School.

All the domers were saddend and angered at LSU and the refs for beating them and cheating, some said sacking Brady Quinn is mean and evil.

I hummed Boomer Sooner with my hoodie on while everyone else (except my closest friends who aren't Domers...........one is actually Mexican...and is a Hook 'emfan.....I Didn't know he was a Hook 'emfan until a year after I met him. But the only way he knows who they are playing is if I tell him:rolleyes::texan:) ....cried away, saying "I'm ****ed at LSU" "My life Sucks"

Responses made by me: Ha.
Ha Ha.
Happy 9th straight.
You suck
Ha ha ha.

:D :D :D

:hmfic:Happy National Notre Dame Sucks Day.:pop:

soonerrn
1/4/2007, 10:43 PM
:P WOW!! What a difference a day makes! We are the more fortunate ones, having the best staff and team! It doesn't always show unless the other teams are in the limelight! Thank you for the perspective! :)

Seamus
1/4/2007, 11:27 PM
Want to here about my day today at Middle School.

All the domers were saddend and angered at LSU and the refs for beating them and cheating, some said sacking Brady Quinn is mean and evil.

I hummed Boomer Sooner with my hoodie on while everyone else (except my closest friends who aren't Domers...........one is actually Mexican...and is a Hook 'emfan.....I Didn't know he was a Hook 'emfan until a year after I met him. But the only way he knows who they are playing is if I tell him:rolleyes::texan:) ....cried away, saying "I'm ****ed at LSU" "My life Sucks"

Responses made by me: Ha.
Ha Ha.
Happy 9th straight.
You suck
Ha ha ha.

:D :D :D

:hmfic:Happy National Notre Dame Sucks Day.:pop:

I love this kid. He's cut from the same cloth as me. :pop: