View Full Version : An interesting take, from another OU board

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/4/2007, 11:37 AM
I was perusing some comments on another board, and found this:

"THERE'S ONLY ONE OKLAHOMA."
RobStankowitz
Senior
(1/4/07 12:08:22 am)
Reply Re: An intellectual challenge for the can't-stand-the-loss crowd. You asked the question. For me, the '01 loss to OSU, the '03 loss to KSU and the '04 loss to SC were all unacceptable. Here's why:

'01 loss to OSU. At home against a 4-7 team (3-7 going into that game, I believe) with a spot in the conference championship game on the line. Unacceptable.

'03 loss to K-State and '04 loss to USC. Both of these are unacceptable in my book. Not because we lost, but due to the way we lost. Both teams totally dominated us (35-7 and 55-19) on a national stage in primetime. The only difference between the two games that I recall is that we tried to rally against K-State but failed, but simply quit against USC.

I can deal with the other losses. Chalk it up to being part of the game. All of that being said, I wouldn't trade this staff for any other staff in the country and I appreciate all that they've done to restore our program to elite status. For whatever reason, however, they are prone to inexplicable lapses from time to time, moreso than other elite programs.
It's kind of bizarre, actually.

OSUAggie
1/4/2007, 12:19 PM
I would think that the TCU game should make that list... maybe not.

1/4/2007, 12:22 PM
I would think that the TCU game should make that list... maybe not.Don't like agreeing with you, Ag, but I would, too. We quit there.

fadada1
1/4/2007, 12:24 PM
and i would think that 1890-2006 would do it for most osu losses... then again... who cares.

TopDawg
1/4/2007, 12:49 PM
I would think that the TCU game should make that list... maybe not.

That TCU team ended up 11-1. We were breaking in two new quarterbacks and had a young offensive line going up against a great defense.

While it was certainly a surprise, I don't think it compares to the other games that guy mentioned.

1/4/2007, 01:12 PM
That TCU team ended up 11-1. We were breaking in two new quarterbacks and had a young offensive line going up against a great defense.

While it was certainly a surprise, I don't think it compares to the other games that guy mentioned.I saw the line just sit there and not try.That is the similarity. Like the guy who wrote the post, I have no explanation.

St. Louis Sooner
1/4/2007, 01:13 PM

RobStankowitz
Senior
Reply Re: An intellectual challenge for the can't-stand-the-loss crowd. You asked the question. For me, the '01 loss to OSU, the '03 loss to KSU and the '04 loss to SC were all unacceptable. Here's why:

'01 loss to OSU. At home against a 4-7 team (3-7 going into that game, I believe) with a spot in the conference championship game on the line. Unacceptable.

'03 loss to K-State and '04 loss to USC. Both of these are unacceptable in my book. Not because we lost, but due to the way we lost. Both teams totally dominated us (35-7 and 55-19) on a national stage in primetime. The only difference between the two games that I recall is that we tried to rally against K-State but failed, but simply quit against USC.

I can deal with the other losses. Chalk it up to being part of the game. All of that being said, I wouldn't trade this staff for any other staff in the country and I appreciate all that they've done to restore our program to elite status. For whatever reason, however, they are prone to inexplicable lapses from time to time, moreso than other elite programs.

-------

It's Stoops' trademark ... he allowed the same thing to happen when he was Spurrier's DC at Florida. I do not understand this either, and it is so bizarre to me that I find it embarrassing. It's like we have this unknown or mysterious Achille's Heel.

fwsooner22
1/4/2007, 01:21 PM

While it was certainly a surprise, I don't think it compares to the other games that guy mentioned.

That TCU team almost lost to Iowa State in their bowl game. I saw them 5 or 6 teams. We should have never lost to them. They are a joke.

Soonerus
1/4/2007, 01:33 PM
I think we should also remember all of the great victories, not just dwell on losses....

TopDawg
1/4/2007, 01:33 PM
That TCU team almost lost to Iowa State in their bowl game. I saw them 5 or 6 teams. We should have never lost to them. They are a joke.

Uhm, hello, we almost lost to Baylor last year. If TCU was a joke what does that make us?

TopDawg
1/4/2007, 01:36 PM
I saw the line just sit there and not try.That is the similarity. Like the guy who wrote the post, I have no explanation.

What makes you think they weren't trying? I could go play fadada1 on the golf course and try my hardest but he'd still kick my butt because he's better.

TopDawg
1/4/2007, 01:40 PM
I could take 04 though.

1/4/2007, 01:40 PM
What makes you think they weren't trying? I could go play fadada1 on the golf course and try my hardest but he'd still kick my butt because he's better.In football, not moving your feet=not trying.

TopDawg
1/4/2007, 01:43 PM
So their feet didn't move at all? I know I sit in the upper deck, but I thought I saw them moving. Cuz, ya know, if their feet were actually moving but just not fast enough that could've meant they just weren't fast enough.

1/4/2007, 01:44 PM
So their feet didn't move at all? Haha.

MiccoMacey
1/4/2007, 01:55 PM

Wrong.

They were 11-1 and beat ISU in the Houston Bowl 27-24.

Their lone loss was to SMU, the game after beating us. They were obviously still in party mode.

MiccoMacey
1/4/2007, 01:56 PM
I could take 04 though.

What do you have against sooner04?

But you probably could take him. He has red hair.

:D

OUmillenium
1/4/2007, 02:03 PM

RobStankowitz
Senior

You are correct, those losses were embarassing not just hard to take.

Failing to compete should never occur with our depth and "coaching staff" since the 1999 season.

OklahomaTuba
1/4/2007, 02:07 PM
Maybe the answer is simple people, maybe we just over acheive with the talent that actually makes it on the field?

We land lots highly rated players, but its no un-common to have only a few make it on the field. Just look at the 2003 class and whose on the roster now. It isn't pretty.

This team is young, and it will be fine.

I think some stability at QB, Oline and the secondary will help. Seems it will take one or two more seasons to recover in those positions.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/4/2007, 03:07 PM
if we lose because of what happens in a game, i'm okay with it. boise state, usc, lsu, nebraska 2001, aTm 2002 - things happened in those games that as a fan you second guess but its hard for you to in logical hindsight lay blame (turnovers, play calling, whatever). likewise there are games where by film or by accident, an opponent uncovers a weakness that they are able to exploit time and time again and woop you upside the head (kstate 2003, osu 2002).

where i get annoyed is when you lose games because of game planning or inability to project your talent. tcu falls into this category. geez, how can you not figure out who should be QB twice in your tenure? how can you then prematurely pull someone and give them no shot to atone themselves?
the hybl/white thompson/bomar sagas were like deja vu.

osu 2001 falls into this category. how can you gameplan for a QB run game when your QB has 14 concussions and a collarbone that is broken in 19 places?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/4/2007, 03:13 PM
I saw the line just sit there and not try.

And the receivers, I couldn't believe how they weren't even running their complete routes, they would just jog and stop. Oh well, they got betta, and that's what mattas

cvsooner
1/4/2007, 03:33 PM
if we lose because of what happens in a game, i'm okay with it. boise state, usc, lsu, nebraska 2001, aTm 2002 - things happened in those games that as a fan you second guess but its hard for you to in logical hindsight lay blame (turnovers, play calling, whatever). likewise there are games where by film or by accident, an opponent uncovers a weakness that they are able to exploit time and time again and woop you upside the head (kstate 2003, osu 2002).

where i get annoyed is when you lose games because of game planning or inability to project your talent. tcu falls into this category. geez, how can you not figure out who should be QB twice in your tenure? how can you then prematurely pull someone and give them no shot to atone themselves?
the hybl/white thompson/bomar sagas were like deja vu.

osu 2001 falls into this category. how can you gameplan for a QB run game when your QB has 14 concussions and a collarbone that is broken in 19 places?

The Thompson thing in 2005 really bugged me at the time. Consider how Paul played in this Fiesta Bowl. No telling what he might have done in the fourth quarter against TCU. A full year under his belt before this season would have gone a long way towards making him a better quarterback.

It's also real easy for us to sit in the stands or watch it on TV and figure out what we would have done too, and wonder how on earth somebody on the field could have played that worse. Like those of us who have played have never made a bonehead move. :rolleyes:

Things happen that do change the game. You adjust and you play best you can. I don't have any problem with this loss in the Fiesta Bowl. Heck, it was practically a miracle we were even in the dang BCS hunt as Big 12 champions. That in and of itself was remarkable. Things happen. Sometimes they help, sometimes they hurt. No shame here.

I hear tell the Pacific Northwest schools are already starting to panic over recruiting...suddenly kids up there are taking a look at Bozoi State instead of Washington, Oregoon and the like.

Well, we'll see. As I posted in another thread, it's one thing to climb this mountain. It's another to stay up there and do it year after year after year. I don't know if BSU fans appreciate yet how hard this really is/was to accomplish, and what success can do to a program.

OSUAggie
1/4/2007, 04:38 PM
Wrong.

They were 11-1 and beat ISU in the Houston Bowl 27-24.

Their lone loss was to SMU, the game after beating us. They were obviously still in party mode.

I believe he said ALMOST lost to Iowa State. 27-24 = not wrong.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2007, 05:26 PM
The Thompson thing in 2005 really bugged me at the time. Consider how Paul played in this Fiesta Bowl. No telling what he might have done in the fourth quarter against TCU. A full year under his belt before this season would have gone a long way towards making him a better quarterback.

It's also real easy for us to sit in the stands or watch it on TV and figure out what we would have done too, and wonder how on earth somebody on the field could have played that worse. Like those of us who have played have never made a bonehead move. :rolleyes:

Things happen that do change the game. You adjust and you play best you can. I don't have any problem with this loss in the Fiesta Bowl. Heck, it was practically a miracle we were even in the dang BCS hunt as Big 12 champions. That in and of itself was remarkable. Things happen. Sometimes they help, sometimes they hurt. No shame here.

I hear tell the Pacific Northwest schools are already starting to panic over recruiting...suddenly kids up there are taking a look at Bozoi State instead of Washington, Oregoon and the like.

Well, we'll see. As I posted in another thread, it's one thing to climb this mountain. It's another to stay up there and do it year after year after year. I don't know if BSU fans appreciate yet how hard this really is/was to accomplish, and what success can do to a program.

Knowing what we know now I wished we would have stuck with PT but at the time going with that :chicken: at QB made sense. Who knows how good the offense would have been? Worse possibly, maybe better. Anyway I don't second guess the decision at the time.

I haven't spent too much time thinking about what the win did for Boise St but it will certainly help their recruiting. Still they had something like 22 5th-year seniors on that team, that were all recruited when Hawkins was the head coach. I imagine they have some benefits but I still think a 4-5 star type guy is more likely to choose a Pac-10 school and they will still be left for the most part trying to win with diamonds in the rough. It could certainly hurt some other programs in the NW for a few players, just like Rutgers might steal a few from Va Tech, Penn St or some other Eastern schools. At the end of the day though Rutgers and Boise St are programs that have to rebuild instead of reload. It could be a long time before they make it to a BCS bowl again while we very likely could be back next year.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2007, 05:42 PM
Follow-uo to my last post. My name isn't Tom Lemming so I don't take recruiting rankings as gospel but I looked at the latest team rankings on rivals.

OU 20th....imagine we might finish better
Miami,FL 29th despite a train wreck of season
Rutgers 45....despite their best season in forever
Baylor 47 for perspective
Boise Tie 76, Have 20 commitments, average 2-stars, so unless they start yanking offers, their class for this year is almost done.

Now I bet the Boise lands a lot better than the 76th best class, even if on paper that is what the rankings say but this win doesn't mean that many players are going to skip going to one of the usual suspects to go to Boise.

stoopified
1/4/2007, 08:49 PM
Maybe I am just a sore loser but I still think BSU didn't beat us as much as we beat ourselves.The 2002 38-28 debacle vs oSu was harder to take.I still don't understand how we lost thst game.

arcman46
1/4/2007, 09:42 PM
Maybe I am just a sore loser but I still think BSU didn't beat us as much as we beat ourselves.The 2002 38-28 debacle vs oSu was harser to take.I still don't understand how we lost thst game.

I agree with the above assessment. I am not going to blame Thompson for the loss, but if he cleans up his play, we win by 14-28 points. The KSU, LSU, and SUsC games were harder for me to take because I did not see us come out and play with the kind of effort and intensity that we should have had, and we got out ***es handed to us on a silver platter. I saw a flat team come out against BSU, buy we managed to right the ship and almost win the game.

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 09:48 PM
Maybe I am just a sore loser but I still think BSU didn't beat us as much as we beat ourselves.The 2002 38-28 debacle vs oSu was harser to take.I still don't understand how we lost thst game.
Here's what I said in the thread next door about the defense"

As much as I want to let go of this defeat, I have to insist once more that 90% of blame belongs on the offense, specifically the offensive strategy:
We simply gave up on the run too soon, exposing our weaknesses in the passing game. The 3 INTs were obvioulsy errors in the passing game, but so was the fumble (a sack). Sure, BSu stopped some runs up the middle, but they did not "shut down the run"; WE shut down the run. Part of the successful running game is to stick with it until you wear the other guys down. Whenever we had their D on its heels, we let them off the hook with bull crap plays when a bit more manly mouth-bashing would have broken them down. If we had persevered in the rushing attack, we would have worn out their D and AD & AP would have been ripping up huge chunks of yardage by the mid-third quarter. You saw what AD did in the OT. I firmly believe that. And unless someone can show me I'm wrong - and not just tell me - I will remain convinced that the loss was due mainly to a failure to have a focused offensive plan and stick with it. I'll bet in hindsight both Bob and KW would agree, if not publicly.

1/5/2007, 11:07 AM
IF we win the RRS next year, the ship will be righted.

LittleWingSooner
1/5/2007, 11:08 AM
I don't know if we win the RRS with a young QB. Plus we haven't been effective in big games with more experienced teams the last couple of years.

FroggyStyle22
1/5/2007, 05:20 PM

So you saw them play 5 or 6 teams. All of which they won and they are a joke? What the hell does a team have to do in order not to be a "joke"? If they are such a joke why do you repeatedly go to their games?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/5/2007, 05:43 PM
So you saw them play 5 or 6 teams. All of which they won and they are a joke? What the hell does a team have to do in order not to be a "joke"? If they are such a joke why do you repeatedly go to their games?

TCU was not a joke. They were more than solid team as it turned out. How our O-line played in that game against TCU was a joke though. I actually thought we played better as bad as that sounds against TCU as we did against Tulsa but Tulsa was good enough to take it (even with Mills catching everything) even when we tried to give it to them.

So yes TCU is less embarassing now that it was standing there that day watching our offense look like a cross between a Bobby Bowden and Gary Pinkel coached offense. But not by much. We really sucked that day.

Oh, and echoing what stoopified said. Boise St was much better than that OSU team we lost to in 2002. No way we should have lost that game.

Big Red Ron
1/5/2007, 07:16 PM
There are other OU boards?

Who knew?