PDA

View Full Version : Pellini or Venables?

OUmillenium
1/4/2007, 10:45 AM
If you guys had your choice, who would you want right now?

Venables is said to be a great recruiter by the way.

Just curious...

:texan: sux

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2007, 10:50 AM
Venables...Pellini is a punk.

soonerhubs
1/4/2007, 11:08 AM
Venables

Texas Golfer
1/4/2007, 11:10 AM
Well, Venables does make it exciting. One game, his defenses stuff the opposing team. The next, they make us look like fools.

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 11:14 AM
Venables...Pellini is a punk.
I dunno, but
I wouldn't necessarily object to a "punk" running the defense. Maybe we need some more "attitude" in that unit.

Tear Down This Wall
1/4/2007, 11:21 AM
Why do some of you still have this discussion? Pelini was fine. We only lost one game when he was here. We've lost two other BCS games without him, but with Venables on the sideline.

So what? It means nothing. Both Venables and Pelini are coordinators at the top of their game.

Some of you have serious issues. Seriously.

OklahomaTuba
1/4/2007, 11:21 AM
That is one talented secondary LSU has. I think Joe D could coach them to a bowl game. (I know, wrong side of the ball)

Of course, playing an always overrated ND team helps as well.

Mjcpr
1/4/2007, 11:25 AM
I know this is ghey and off-topic, but did anyone notice LSU's name.....plates or whatever? Somebody get their jersey manufacturers on the horn and see if they can hook us up with a viable name plate for OU's jerseys. They fit and everything!

LSUdeek
1/4/2007, 11:29 AM
I know this is ghey and off-topic, but did anyone notice LSU's name.....plates or whatever? Somebody get their jersey manufacturers on the horn and see if they can hook us up with a viable name plate for OU's jerseys. They fit and everything!

ummm.... Nike?

Mjcpr
1/4/2007, 11:31 AM
ummm.... Nike?

That was kind of a joke. We had no nameplates this year and I think the reason given was that they couldn't get the nameplates to look right on the jersey.

LSUdeek
1/4/2007, 11:32 AM
That was kind of a joke. We had no nameplates this year and I think the reason given was that they couldn't get the nameplates to look right on the jersey.

Sometimes the medium doesn't convey the meaning alls that well. :rolleyes: :D

RedGiant
1/4/2007, 05:14 PM
Bo knows football.

And if Venables is at the top of his game, I'd hate to see him falter.

kevpks
1/4/2007, 05:38 PM
I like Venables and I think he is a great coach. Next year should be a breakthrough year for the D. I know we lost some good LB's, but recruiting has been solid at that position. If McCoy is as good as advertised, the D-Line should be great too. I also look forward to stability in the secondary. I think we have a good group.

TXBOOMER
1/4/2007, 05:57 PM
Both are good coaches. I'd take the one that is coaching the most talent on the field. Schemes are real similar. LSU talent is more aggressive at this point.

ADs_Agent
1/4/2007, 06:33 PM
both are good coaches, but I'll take Mike Stoops

Seamus
1/4/2007, 07:11 PM
both are good coaches, but I'll take Mike Stoops

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif barrage coming ...

AzianSooner
1/4/2007, 07:15 PM
Compare to Pelini, BV is still a student. You are not sure can keep Bo next year but you can be sure that BV is still around in 5 more years.

aurorasooner
1/4/2007, 08:01 PM
I saw some posts that pellini had basically run reggie smith off to nebraska until reggie heard that pellini was hitting the road. I also saw a lot of posts that pellini was a regular AH with a lot of the recruits. in any event, I'd take BV.

yermom
1/4/2007, 08:50 PM
Pellini was probably ready to be a head coach somewhere when he got here

i think him and Venables weren't that compatible or something in their schemes. he seems to be doing well this year though, i mean they lost a game only allowing 7 points, the other loss was to a team playing for the MNC next week

his last season at Nebraska the Blackshirts were interception machines

Texas Golfer
1/4/2007, 11:38 PM
I'll forever criticize Venebles for not blitzing on 4th & 18. You give Zablonsky all the time in the world, he'll find an open receiver.

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2007, 11:48 PM
Venables did a great job with our defense this year and I don't think our defense could have done any better in the second half of that game.

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2007, 11:49 PM
I'll forever criticize Venebles for not blitzing on 4th & 18. You give Zablonsky all the time in the world, he'll find an open receiver.

If he blitzes on 4th and 18 then that hook and ladder is even more open.

We got beat on a play I hadn't seen against or for OU since 1999. We ran the play a few times early in Stoops tenure.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 11:55 PM
Pelini was never the HNIC on our Defense. Anyone giving him cresdit for only losing one game at OU must also give that credit to Brent.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2007, 12:38 AM
The fact that this question was even asked not only turns my stomach, but reminds me how some folks simply look at football, eat a fistful of cheetos, and wonder why Brett Rhomar and Calvin Simpson aren't in Norman, Oklahoma anymore.

Collier11
1/5/2007, 12:39 AM
BV is the D-Coordinator for OU right??? Thats right, he is...why is this even a F*cking question, this is stupid!!!!

OUmillenium
1/5/2007, 08:57 AM

I'll join you with that criticism and hold you accountable for it!!!!!!

OUmillenium
1/5/2007, 09:00 AM
By the way, this is a "question" because the football season is over and this is what people do to occupy their time. It's fun to hear both sides. I'm pretty satisfied with the overally job Venables does but I like to hear the inside stuff (like how Pellini treated recruits) and also hear comparisons in their coaching theory.

If you are not interested then go to another thread. It's just discussion, nobody is calling for anyone's job(yet).

Texas Golfer
1/5/2007, 10:39 AM
If he blitzes on 4th and 18 then that hook and ladder is even more open.

We got beat on a play I hadn't seen against or for OU since 1999. We ran the play a few times early in Stoops tenure.

Blitz on 4th & 18 and that pass isn't even completed. Zablonsky had all day to wait for that play to develop (getting the two receivers in the right spots).

Maybe we sack him and the game is over. Either way, he's forced to rush his pass off to, perhaps, a secondary receiver taking that play out of the picture.

ocsooner
1/5/2007, 05:47 PM
If I remember correctly, the secondary was pretty soft when Pellini was here. After he left, and BV took the defense back over, the secondary started stopping plays again. There were quite a few posters on this board that weren't waiting until he was out the door to slam it when the season was over.

It's all about doing the best you can with the talent you have, and BV seems to have done that better than Pellini did when he was here.