PDA

View Full Version : I Quit Dipping Yesterday

SoonerBorn68
1/4/2007, 10:04 AM
I've been talking about doing it for years, but yesterday morning I got up, had a dip as usual, spit it out later, & proclaimed it my last dip ever.

And it will be. Right now it would be easy to take a dip and forget about it. I'm not about to do that. I am done.

I've read about all these symptoms of nicotine withdrawal & they are true. Right now I feel like I've had a concussion--fogginess & detachment. It's truly a weird feeling. It's kind of like being drunk. The articles I've read say I've got another 24-48 hrs. until the worst is over. I'll let ya'll know.

Hatfield
1/4/2007, 10:09 AM
good luck.

C&CDean
1/4/2007, 10:11 AM
Stick with it. I gave up Skoal and Kools on the same day. What got me through was hating them, and every time I would think about them, I'd get busy doing something else. If you let your mind focus on them, you'll have a dip in your lip ASAP. Also, I did sunflower seeds. Keep my cheek completely full all the time.

Good luck.

SoCal
1/4/2007, 10:14 AM
I quit dipping two years ago...the urge to buy another can is with me every day. Good luck.

SoonerBorn68
1/4/2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys. I've got my sunflower seeds, jerky chew, & finely chopped carrots to substitute as dips.

If this feeling of wanting to scream at the top of my lungs & punch the first thing that moves would go away, this would be much easier. :)

But, I will quit.

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2007, 10:25 AM
Hang in there dude. You will be a better man for it.

Someday I will get up the gumption to quit myself.

Widescreen
1/4/2007, 10:26 AM
Good job SB68! I've only ever had 1 dip in my life. A buddy in college handed me his skoal and I got a little bit. He goes "No, you've gotta get a real amount" so I doubled it. My head started spinning and I was puking in 5 minutes (I was already inebriated at the time). Never tried it again. :D

OUHOMER
1/4/2007, 10:28 AM
Good luck, I need to quit smoking.

MamaMia
1/4/2007, 11:08 AM
Good for you! I have heard that making a list of some really good reasons to quit, and then reading it when you get a craving can be helpful.

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2007, 11:15 AM
is the hand to mouth habit as bad for dip as it is for smoking?

when i quit cigarrettes, that was as hard to break as the nicotine

Taxman71
1/4/2007, 01:06 PM
I quit Copenhagen after 10 years and 3 cans per week cold turkey several years back. The withdrawal urges (after meals, before bed) were easily overcome by not having that nasty cat $hit taste in my mouth every morning. Downside is I gained about 10 lbs. and took several years to notice and lose it. Definitely worth quitting though.

SoonerBorn68
1/4/2007, 01:21 PM
is the hand to mouth habit as bad for dip as it is for smoking?

when i quit cigarrettes, that was as hard to break as the nicotine

Yep. It seems every time I turn around my hand is reaching itself into my pocket to get another dip.

SoonerBorn68
1/4/2007, 01:41 PM
Good for you! I have heard that making a list of some really good reasons to quit, and then reading it when you get a craving can be helpful.

This one got my attention. Unfortunately it is 100% true.

Contract to Give Up

I give up my quit. Quitting is impossible and I cannot do it. I love dipping more than I love myself. I care about dipping more than I care about my personal health. I love dipping more than I love my family. I know this addiction will kill me, and I ACCEPT that fact. I enjoy spending time alone with my can more than I enjoy spending time with anyone else on the planet. I look forward to losing my jaw, my tongue, my throat, my life - it's worth it. When I am lying in my hospital bed fighting a losing battle against cancer I will feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that this is the path I CHOSE. My only regret will be that I didn't start dipping earlier in life. I will feel sorrow for my family’s heartbreak and suffer untold pain, but I know you must sacrifice for the things you truly love. I know ALL the consequences of my actions and I accept them fully and without regret. I hereby choose to give my life to this addiction - I do so with a smile on face.

Signature: ____________________
Date: ____________________

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In moments of weakness just remember, this can be done. Quitting is possible.....one day you will not need to dip to feel normal, you will not need it to function, you will get over those feelings of sadness and loss. Keep your eye on the ball, and never forget...the ultimate price in this battle is your life - and that's always worth fighting for.

yermom
1/4/2007, 01:45 PM
that's hardcore

stick with it man

MamaMia
1/4/2007, 01:51 PM
I have faith in you. I know some texas horns and osu pokes who quit.
If they can quit, a Sooner can quit better. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
1/4/2007, 02:18 PM
http://gotdetroit.com/img/video/april06/aligdrugs.jpg

And is there any negative effects?

;)

Good luck, 68!

tbl
1/4/2007, 02:47 PM
My BIL is only 19 but he's been dipping for 4 years and he's trying to do it right now. He's having a hard time with it b/c instead of going cold turkey, he's trying to wean off and use some medicine. I told him if he wants to quit, just stop buying it and stinking quit.

I grew up with my grandparents and my Grandpa has quit on and off most of my life. He's back to dipping now, and hopefully he won't quit again. ;) He turns into the Lord of the Flies when he tries to quit, so at his age, he might as well keep trucking.

Cam
1/6/2007, 10:42 AM
I've got to want to quit first. Just not there yet.

Good luck to ya man.

birddog
1/6/2007, 11:07 AM
i had fun quitting. i started working out 6 days a week and had a pantload of energy, all day.

every time i'd think of copenhagen i'd do 50 push-ups.

salth2o
1/6/2007, 11:28 AM
I quit Copenhagen 5 years ago (after 14 years of dipping the nasty stuff) and it was definitely the hardest thing I have ever done. In time, the urges will go away. I chewed packs and packs of Trident to help kick the habit.

Good luck!

MamaMia
1/6/2007, 01:28 PM
soonerborn68, how are you doing today? :)

pb4ou
1/6/2007, 01:33 PM
I tried quitting about two years ago. Rough times. It was during my wife's pregnancy (First trimaster) and we arugued with each other like cats & dogs. One weekend I swear we constantly on each others last nerve. When the weekend was over, I swear you could see the arrows still sticking in the walls from the constant battles.

OklaPony
1/6/2007, 01:51 PM
Hang in there, man... you can do it!

I gave up nicotine cold turkey about 11 years ago after 18-ish years of chewing / smoking. The first week really sucked, the second week sucked less, and by the third week things started feeling somewhat normal. I chewed a sh!tload of Big Red gum to keep myself occupied.

I was so impressed with myself that about 3 months later I tried the same thing with caffeine. I lasted about 4 days.

SoonerBorn68
1/7/2007, 09:43 AM
soonerborn68, how are you doing today? :)

5 days and counting. :)

I really thought this would be harder than it was. The cold turkey option is the only way to go. I thought I was going to go nuts on day 3 because my head was in such a fog from the nic withdrawal. It's much better today.

Thanks for all the well wishes & support. It's helped.

opksooner
1/7/2007, 03:32 PM
I thought the thread title was "I quit dripping yesterday." Now, that would have made for interesting reading.

SoonerSid
1/7/2007, 03:49 PM
I never have a problem stopping chewing or dipping. I never dip at home. I think it's a work thing with me.
It's been about 7 years, I went cold turkey with cigarettes. Just put them down and never gave it a second thought.

MamaMia
1/7/2007, 10:09 PM
5 days and counting. :)

I really thought this would be harder than it was. The cold turkey option is the only way to go. I thought I was going to go nuts on day 3 because my head was in such a fog from the nic withdrawal. It's much better today.

Thanks for all the well wishes & support. It's helped.Thats great! I am so proud of you. I knew if a horn and poke could quit, that you could.
Hang in there partner. :texan:
:D

soonerloyal
1/7/2007, 11:40 PM
Kudos, pats on the back and WOO-HOOs to you!! Although it's primarily used by smokers, quitnet.com is a great place to get support. My second anniversary of being a non-smoker is in a few weeks. I keep checking my stats online there. It's a nice way to get visual satisfaction for what you've accomplished. It even keeps a running tab of how much money you've saved - AND the lifetime you've saved, too! Just do yourself a favor, and actually sock away the money you'd normally spend on the dip. If I'd done that, I'd have over $5,019.00 (insert favorite cuss word here).

My best friend decided to quit, and I couldn't stand the thought of her doing it alone - so I quit, too. Five days later, she started up again and is still puffing away.

Bit**. :eek:

SoonerBorn68
2/1/2007, 10:12 PM
Day 29.

olevetonahill
2/1/2007, 11:31 PM
Day 29.
Grats to Ya
In just a few days Ill celibrate 42 yrs of smoking :eek:

GottaHavePride
2/2/2007, 12:22 AM
Congrats, 68.

setem
2/2/2007, 02:18 AM
You can do it man! We are behind you!

olevetonahill
2/2/2007, 02:21 AM
You can do it man! We are behind you!
Thanks for the encouragement . I think I can make it a few more days .

soonerloyal
2/25/2007, 10:13 PM
So, y'all, how's the quitting going? Still hanging in there without?

Hope you are well!!

OzarkSooner
2/25/2007, 11:27 PM
Quitting is good....congratulations.

I got lucky when I quit dipping Skoal®. I was dipping on a VERY hot day...moving oxygen bottles three at a time...(it's a practiced skill) from one part of the dock to another. I got a little heat sickness and had that Skoal® taste in my mouth when I finally had to throw up. I wasn't able to face any Skoal® for many days after that, thus I was able to quit. I did chew for a little while after that. That was all MANY years ago...I probably can't even roll two oxygen bottles at once now.

sooneron
2/26/2007, 12:21 AM
I've been talking about doing it for years, but yesterday morning I got up, had a dip as usual, spit it out later, & proclaimed it my last dip ever.

And it will be. Right now it would be easy to take a dip and forget about it. I'm not about to do that. I am done.

I've read about all these symptoms of nicotine withdrawal & they are true. Right now I feel like I've had a concussion--fogginess & detachment. It's truly a weird feeling. It's kind of like being drunk. The articles I've read say I've got another 24-48 hrs. until the worst is over. I'll let ya'll know.
Welcome to the 21st century. Make yourself at home.

SoonerBorn68
2/26/2007, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the 21st century. Make yourself at home.

Now, why you gotta be a ****** rocket? I'm sure you thought it was a funny little quip, but in reality it was just a bush league jab from a punk assed poster.

Oh, day 55. :)

Czar Soonerov
2/26/2007, 12:58 PM
What do you wanna bet the stress from the board being down drove SB68 back to the snuff?

SoonerBorn68
2/26/2007, 01:02 PM
Heh, and **** off dip****! ;)

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 05:03 PM
Way to go. And pay no attention to the yuppy cigar smoker from New Jersey.

Scott D
2/26/2007, 06:15 PM
no wonder mongo has been grumpy lately, cuz 68 ain't dippin no mo' ;)

BajaOklahoma
2/26/2007, 06:25 PM
Congrats!

StoopTroup
2/26/2007, 06:36 PM
Cold Turkey is the way to go 68.

My reasoning is that if a person does go back to old habits and eventually tries again and again....

They will eventually get tired of putting themselves through the withdrawls and they will eventually quit forever.

Many things that are worthwhile in life are usually never easy....

SoonerBorn68
6/30/2007, 10:17 PM
178 days tobacco free. :)

Jerk
6/30/2007, 10:19 PM
Damn, that's good. I quit for 7 months back in 2003 then started again when I began driving 12 hours from Afternoon till early morning.

I think I'm going to give Chantix a try, soon.

I really don't want to die of mouth cancer. That would be teh suxx.

SoonerBorn68
6/30/2007, 10:24 PM
I quit cold turkey...but I cheated (and still do) with the jerky chew. I figure the habit won't kill me, just the tobacco.

usmc-sooner
6/30/2007, 10:34 PM
congrats, bro

Jerk
6/30/2007, 10:35 PM
I quit cold turkey...but I cheated (and still do) with the jerky chew. I figure the habit won't kill me, just the tobacco.
I quit cold turkey, too.

The first month was a mother*****r

I would instinctively reach for my pockets to get a can out, and they'd be empty. Then do the exact same thing a minute later. Over and over. I had to constantly remind myself that I had quit.

MamaMia
6/30/2007, 11:41 PM
178 days tobacco free. :)http://www.fromtheheartpostcards.com/greetingcards/congrats2.gif

soonerinabilene
7/20/2007, 07:04 PM
so today was my first tobacco free day in about 7 years. I smoked for 4 and have dipped for the last three. Im trying this smoky mountain herbal snuff that is 100% tobacco and nicotine free, it just tastes like dip and feels like I have one in. Right now the head is throbbin a little, and it is kind of hard to focus. From what ive read Ive got about 2-3 days of the actual withdrawals to go, then its all just a mind game. Wish me luck.

OKC Sooner
7/20/2007, 09:23 PM
Damn, that's good. I quit for 7 months back in 2003 then started again when I began driving 12 hours from Afternoon till early morning.

I think I'm going to give Chantix a try, soon.

I really don't want to die of mouth cancer. That would be teh suxx.
I averaged 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 35 years, tried to quit a few times, it never lasted. A month ago I started taking Chantix... smoked as normal the first week, then stopped flat on day 8. I figured it was gonna be a crappy day, so I loaded up with peppermint candy, Werther's, chewing gum, and waited for the craving to start.

Turns out it was a piece of cake, no craving at all. Three weeks later, still not smoking, and I'm money ahead since the Chantix costs less than what I was spending on smokes. Don't know if Chantix works that well for everyone, but I had tried Nicorette, the nicotine lozenges, Wellbutrin, and none of it worked for me... Chantix does.

sanantoniosooner
7/20/2007, 09:27 PM
14439 days tobacco free for me.

Shneeg11
7/21/2007, 12:43 AM
Congratulations 68, I had my quitnet.com quit date set for today, and its gonna be BRUTAL!!!

soonerinabilene
8/17/2007, 09:11 AM
Woohoo!!! 28th day tobacco free. That means I have "officially" quit. My new addiction to sunflower seeds, however, is going to cost me my tongue, im afraid.

SoonerBorn68
8/17/2007, 09:47 AM
Congrats! It's a bitch of an addiction to break. I do the sunflower seeds on occations too, it's pretty tough on my system.

Watch out. I replaced dipping with eating when I got cravings & put on about 30 lbs.

Scott D
8/17/2007, 09:52 AM
Congrats! It's a bitch of an addiction to break. I do the sunflower seeds on occations too, it's pretty tough on my system.

Watch out. I replaced dipping with eating when I got cravings & put on about 30 lbs. Mongo loves the added weight.

:eek:

SoonerBorn68
8/17/2007, 10:00 AM
They don't call them love handles for nuthin'. :D

frankensooner
8/17/2007, 10:01 AM
For some reason football season makes me crave the terbacky. I have to be careful this time a year or I find myself at 7-11. I have quit 10-15 times over the years, it has been over a year this time, but sometimes I get the cravings.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/17/2007, 10:07 AM
I averaged 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 35 years, tried to quit a few times, it never lasted. A month ago I started taking Chantix... smoked as normal the first week, then stopped flat on day 8. I figured it was gonna be a crappy day, so I loaded up with peppermint candy, Werther's, chewing gum, and waited for the craving to start.

Turns out it was a piece of cake, no craving at all. Three weeks later, still not smoking, and I'm money ahead since the Chantix costs less than what I was spending on smokes. Don't know if Chantix works that well for everyone, but I had tried Nicorette, the nicotine lozenges, Wellbutrin, and none of it worked for me... Chantix does.
My Mom took Chantix and she said it was the best way to quit. She's quit several times over the years, but always craved the nicotine. This way was super easy she said. Now she's gotten my uncle to quit dipping by using it. She's also gotten her smoker friends to quit by using it. They are saying that it could also be used for alcoholics too.

SoonerBorn68
8/17/2007, 10:08 AM
$6+ a can helped cure me. I still dip the non tobacco chew like Bacc Off & Smokey Mountain chew ($2-3 a can) sometimes. Yeah, it's not the same but it's as close as I'm going to get.

Buck36
8/17/2007, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerBorn68]$6+ a can helped cure me.[QUOTE]

This is funny. I quit cold turkey years ago. Money was more of an incentive than the health for me but I am glad I quit.

SoonerBorn68
1/5/2008, 02:52 PM
1 year 2 days tobacco free.

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 02:55 PM
40+ years without even tasting the stuff.

Never doing it is easier than quitting;)

Sooner Eclipse
1/5/2008, 04:40 PM
After 25+ years of dipping/smoking I'd like to add my name to this list.

32 days and counting for me. :D Reaching for the can that is no longer there is the most annoying thing. That and chewing so much gum that Im likely to give myself lockjaw. But I ain't going back.

My brother died because of an addictive substance. I'm determined that it won't happen to me as well.

Oh, and SAS - **** off, dip****!!! ;)

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 08:08 PM
After 25+ years of dipping/smoking I'd like to add my name to this list.

32 days and counting for me. :D Reaching for the can that is no longer there is the most annoying thing. That and chewing so much gum that Im likely to give myself lockjaw. But I ain't going back.

My brother died because of an addictive substance. I'm determined that it won't happen to me as well.

Oh, and SAS - **** off, dip****!!! ;)
Grats an I agree Sas
**** off dip **** :P

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 09:00 PM
addicts are testy.

olevetonahill
1/5/2008, 09:08 PM
addicts are testy.
Ex addict
**** off dip **** !;)

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2008, 09:13 PM
When you are no longer testy.........you will be an EX addict.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/6/2008, 10:44 AM
My uncle quit dipping by using Chantix. It hasn't been officially approved for smokeless tobacco, but his doctor said it couldn't hurt.

My mom and a couple of friends of hers have also used it to quit smoking. I have known a few other people who used it and it didn't work. One tried but just couldn't quit. My sister-in-law tried at a time that just really wasn't good stress wise.

OKC-SLC
1/6/2008, 11:14 AM
good jorb, 68.