PDA

View Full Version : offseason begins...

BASSooner
1/4/2007, 01:48 AM
obviously this is not a "what if" thread. Hopefully I won't have to see any "what if" posts.

Post your thoughts about what you hope to see or what you think will change as players and the coaches progress through offseason.

Discuss.

AzianSooner
1/4/2007, 01:50 AM
I hope to see BOB Stoops make every dollars worth by re-evaluate the whole coaching staff, technique, play books, players attitude ......

There are problems that need to be fixed and he needs to take action.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 01:50 AM
I am totally proud of this season and even in our performance in the Fiesta Bowl. This will go down as one of my favorite Sooner teams ever. It coulda been a little better but it also could have been ALOT worse.

Blues1
1/4/2007, 01:55 AM
A Two Running Back "Backfield" - Did you see what happened When Patrick and AD were Both in the Backfield....???

It Worked Big Time....!!!

NorthernIowaSooner
1/4/2007, 01:56 AM
i dont think any staff changes will happen, the coaching skakeups around the country dont really go OUs way and theres probly nothing theyd want. its not like pellini and nebraska, he was a good hire in my opinion but i dont think alabamas staff will come here or that we'd want them

Crimsontothecore
1/4/2007, 06:48 AM
I hope to see BOB Stoops make every dollars worth by re-evaluate the whole coaching staff, technique, play books, players attitude ......

There are problems that need to be fixed and he needs to take action.
I agree. This nonsense of overcoming adversity and winning conference titles has got to stop!:rolleyes:

FlatheadSooner
1/4/2007, 07:02 AM
1. A great competition / performance at QB.

2. Extra tackling practice.

3. Commitment to hire a team motivational speaker before our next BSC.

JLMSOONER
1/4/2007, 07:56 AM
Honestly the Sooners weren't that great this year. We were a really young team. Don't get me wrong, we have good players, but we made a lot of mistakes. Young mistakes all year. We were lucky to get where we were. Without the loss up in the corner, yeah, we could have potentially been in the game next week. But, we could also have easily been out of the BCS games in a much smaller bowl. All in all, they played their hearts out, but we probably over achieved. It was a great season all considered. I did get tired of seeing AD ran into the line and getting beat down and then late in the game (last time he touched the ball in this one) he runs untouched into the endzone. Hell, he could have ran back to Oklahoma and nobody would have touched him. If he goes, which he probably will, it will be sad. He would most likely have a much better year next year and garner all he deserves barring any injuries. We'll have to see. Either way, I think we will be better. It's kind of weird to say, but as good as AD is, I don't think RB position will be a weak spot next year.

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2007, 10:52 AM
First and foremost is play calling. Both offense and defense. But I think more on offense. The biggest problems on defense are more the lack of a pass rush. We got beat on trick plays, that'll happen sometimes. Trick plays are tough to defend.

I think the offensive play calling needs to get back to where it is tough to tell what we are doing based on formation and down and distance. Too often we ran it on certain situations(say first down and 10) and we ran in the same sets. An I formation with 2 TEs for example. Sometimes we would surprise with a playaction but most of the time we got to where we did the same thing from that formation and it makes it easier for the defense. When we had playaction from the I the QB didn't have time because the other team was able to rush because they knew it was either a run up the middle or a playaction pass. We also didn't run enough in 3 or 4 wide sets.

Also we need to actually use TEs and RBs in the passing game. Not just once or twice a game like we've gotten to and not just in similar patterns that we use the TEs in. We have 3 TEs that are 6-5 or taller. Why not throw it to them over the middle? There's not many 6-5 DBs or LBs out there. If you get it picked off in traffic then most of the time the other team won't get any yards after the INT anyway. Sometimes when we throw it to the sidelines to our WRs they get picked off and there's no way to stop it from being a touch down.

Now as far as actual players go

QB play-I respect Paul's toughness but we need QB play to step up. Paul was a good leader and a tough player and he is the reason this team was as good as it was. But we need a guy that can throw better passes over the middle. Paul couldn't make all the throws. We need a QB who can do so.

Off Line-The biggest issue I have with the line is that they can't seem to block well when we call a sweep or outside run. It seems like someone always gets through before the play has a shot at working. This forces our run calls to be in between the tackles. This is still a young line and losing Braxton here may have hurt. I think this will become less of an issue if we use our faster backs in Murray and Madu. Not a that AD and AP are slow or anything. They are far from it.

Defensive line. We need to get a push from our tackles. And we'll have to have our ends step up as full time starters for their first time. We really didn't get a push from our tackles like we had with Dvoracek.

Linebackers-They need to shed blockers more consistently. Rufus got back to doing that the end of this year. And he'll be tough to replace. Maybe with the size of Reynolds, Lofton, Pleasant, and Reed we'll be able to do that better. But don't overlook replacing guys like Latimer and Rufus. Those guys did a great job turning around this year.

The DBs need more experience as they'll continue to play. It's a talented young unit. We need a guy that can just punish you as a hitter here. I think Nic Harris can be that guy. But We may need another guy at corner. I'm not sure if Lendy and Walker are that physical.

Return game we need to get going here. Reggie was never the same return man after he was hurt. Iggy seemed like our best return man most of the year but no one did a good job returning kicks at the end of the year.

soonerrn
1/4/2007, 11:04 AM
Practice, practice, practice!! When we have years where the players practice their position in the Spring and summer, we have better outcomes. We had to move players around almost monthly to new positions, so they were not able to settle for very long in their new responsibilities. With the experience gained this year and some practice, the team has the potential to be the most awesome "blow them out of the water" team next year!!

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 11:11 AM
Hoping for:
* A SMART & sturdy QB to step out of the pack to lead the offense
* Less predictability and more creativity by the offense
* A SMART defense that attacks and dominates
* A SMART game plan and some sign of motivation for the next Big One.

and whirled peas

Sorry, World Peace.

Thank you

CincySooner
1/4/2007, 11:23 AM
3. Good QB competition

2. The same heart and commitment we saw this season

1. [crosses fingers] Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers, Please stay out of the papers... [/crosses fingers]