PDA

View Full Version : 63% of College Fans Say We would Have Won IF....

Blues1
1/4/2007, 01:04 AM
From ESPN Sports Questions On Fiesta Bowl.....
Question Number 4

4) If Boise State had kicked the extra point to send it to a second overtime, which team would have won the game?

63.7% Oklahoma

36.3% Boise State

I have to agree -- But Give Credit To Boise.....

Keep R'

jwlynn64
1/4/2007, 01:05 AM
That's what their coach thought as well. That, and the fact that he had a play that he thought would work for two, is why they went for two. He said as much.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 01:06 AM
From ESPN Sports Questions On Fiesta Bowl.....
Question Number 4

4) If Boise State had kicked the extra point to send it to a second overtime, which team would have won the game?

63.7% Oklahoma

36.3% Boise State

I have to agree -- But Give Credit To Boise.....

Keep R'Just imagine if we hadn't lost the coin toss. Going for two to win would have been our option (if they could have scored a TD).

jwlynn64
1/4/2007, 01:17 AM
That's why I have a problem with "They deserved to win". They did win but it's not like we didn't score on one play in overtime and converted the extra point.

I've been a fan of the current Overtime system in place until this game. Because of how this game ended, I'm not sure that teams should have to go for two if they score a TD on all drives in OT.

I'm left with the feeling that if we had elected to go for two, we would have converted it as well. So the lose left a bad taste in my mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that BSU didn't win but I'm not sure that anyone can say that the best team won. Just the team that won the coin toss and decided that they had to go for two because their team was getting gassed.

orangekaje
1/4/2007, 01:19 AM
100% of college fans think OU would have won if Walker had stepped out of bounds rather than returning the interception for a touchdown. =)

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 01:20 AM
I would love for the two pint conversion to be mandatory in OT from the first possession.

jwlynn64
1/4/2007, 01:23 AM
If that was the case, my gut tells me that we would have won the game. Just MHO

utex74
1/4/2007, 01:24 AM
Just imagine if we hadn't lost the coin toss. Going for two to win would have been our option (if they could have scored a TD).

I would have been very surprised if Stoops had gone for two if the situation was reversed. Much easier to tie it up and continue to wear them down. BSU also know their guys were wearing out which is a reason they went for two points. That is excellent coaching and awareness of your players.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 01:29 AM
I would have been very surprised if Stoops had gone for two if the situation was reversed. Much easier to tie it up and continue to wear them down. BSU also know their guys were wearing out which is a reason they went for two points. That is excellent coaching and awareness of your players.Probably true but we have the bench to sustain that process or score the two pointer. We just didn't have the option because of the coin toss. It was really their (BSU) only option. Make it and they're genius lose and they had the sack to go for the win. Easy choice if you ask me. They had nothing to lose and they played like that the whole game.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/4/2007, 01:33 AM
I would love for the two pint conversion to be mandatory in OT from the first possession.

Me too. I sure could have used two pints at that point, but Mr. Gal had cut me off. :D

Sorry, just had to say it....I'm tired and punchy...

utex74
1/4/2007, 01:35 AM
100% of college fans think OU would have won if Walker had stepped out of bounds rather than returning the interception for a touchdown. =)

IF. There are about a dozen "ifs" in that game, on both sides. If their blocker hadn't backed into the punt with his calf and given you the ball the whole OT would have been unnecessary. If your defense had ANYBODY wider than tackle on the right side the two point conversion would not have worked. If a pass gets to one of your wide open receivers, game over...Games are made up of "IFS". Otherwise there is hardly any reason to play them except to see how the breaks go.

I suspect you will agree, and I have said the same thing about Texas this year, if you had not let them keep the game close you would not have to worry about anything that happened late. If you let them stay close, or ahead, it is hard to complain about breaks down the stretch.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 01:36 AM
Heh, "Mr. Gal." Your man know you call him that? :D ;)

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 01:39 AM
IF. There are about a dozen "ifs" in that game, on both sides. If their blocker hadn't backed into the punt with his calf and given you the ball the whole OT would have been unnecessary. If your defense had ANYBODY wider than tackle on the right side the two point conversion would not have worked. If a pass gets to one of your wide open receivers, game over...Games are made up of "IFS". Otherwise there is hardly any reason to play them except to see how the breaks go.

I suspect you will agree, and I have said the same thing about Texas this year, if you had not let them keep the game close you would not have to worry about anything that happened late. If you let them stay close, or ahead, it is hard to complain about breaks down the stretch.The biggest if, is what if PT played his normal steady game rather than turning the ball over four times, including a pick six and a fumble near our five yard line.

Blues1
1/4/2007, 01:45 AM
I Just Think this Survey Shows that over 60% of informed College Football Fans Know this game could have gone either way...Yes We have the Loss on Our record - A 1 point Loss

Tonight South Bend Fans have to think about a 27 point DEFEAT --- A loss is Loss - BUT -

JMHO But A Defeat is Alot More.....We Got Beat - But - ND got Destroyed - Our Pride is Hurt --- 9 straight Bowl loss's and ND doesn't have any Pride left to be Hurt....

In other words Things are Not as bad in Norman as they are in South Bend....

Keep Rockin' -- We will BE back.....:)

utex74
1/4/2007, 01:47 AM
The biggest if, is what if PT played his normal steady game rather than turning the ball over four times, including a pick six and a fumble near our five yard line.

He HAS been very good for you guys all year. Much better than anyone expected, I think. I know you all give him the respect he deserves for getting you there.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/4/2007, 01:59 AM
63% of people say we woulda won if we scored more points then them

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 02:04 AM
He HAS been very good for you guys all year. Much better than anyone expected, I think. I know you all give him the respect he deserves for getting you there.Paul Thompson will hold a special place in every Sooner Fan's heart forever. I hope he get's a work out at WR in the pro's. He's a great person.

AzianSooner
1/4/2007, 02:05 AM
We lose to Boise State. C'mon now.. 2007 season start yet?

Doged
1/4/2007, 02:15 AM
We lose to Boise State. C'mon now.. 2007 season start yet?

I'm ready for it already!

Cinderellas are a dime a' dozen, but there's only ONE Oklahoma.

the_ouskull
1/4/2007, 08:40 AM

The other 47% disagrees.

Sin,
Dean "The Dream"

BIG_IKE
1/4/2007, 08:43 AM
I disagree...
It's all a matter of coaching style. Had the situation been reversed, and Boise scored first and went for one I would bet my paycheck that Stoops would score and kick that ball instead of do what Boise did.

Vic n Tulsa
1/4/2007, 11:01 AM
That's why I have a problem with "They deserved to win". They did win but it's not like we didn't score on one play in overtime and converted the extra point.

I've been a fan of the current Overtime system in place until this game. Because of how this game ended, I'm not sure that teams should have to go for two if they score a TD on all drives in OT.

I'm left with the feeling that if we had elected to go for two, we would have converted it as well. So the lose left a bad taste in my mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that BSU didn't win but I'm not sure that anyone can say that the best team won. Just the team that won the coin toss and decided that they had to go for two because their team was getting gassed.

Bosie DID DESERVE to win! Their coach had the GUTS to go for the win with the +2 point conversion. Stoops could have done it on the OT TD and chose not too. Bottom line BSU played to win and we played not to lose!

Texas Golfer
1/4/2007, 11:07 AM
Just imagine if we hadn't lost the coin toss. Going for two to win would have been our option (if they could have scored a TD).

I have no problem with the system. Had we had any kind of rush on, we could have busted up that play (it took a long time to develop) and won the game.

Texas Golfer
1/4/2007, 11:08 AM
Bosie DID DESERVE to win! Their coach had the GUTS to go for the win with the +2 point conversion. Stoops could have done it on the OT TD and chose not too. Bottom line BSU played to win and we played not to lose!

It had nothing to do with guts. Petersen publicly stated that his team couldn't go another overtime and expect to win. He made his decision to go for two when when scored our TD.

Larry&Leisa
1/4/2007, 11:16 AM
The other 47% disagrees.

Sin,
Dean "The Dream"

They're just haters :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/4/2007, 01:38 PM
Paul Thompson will hold a special place in every Sooner Fan's heart forever. I hope he get's a work out at WR in the pro's. He's a great person.

Unless Schmiddy tells him the wrong time...

sooner1129
1/4/2007, 02:23 PM

amen.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 02:55 PM
amen.This is just plain stupid. The game was tied.

leavingthezoo
1/4/2007, 03:06 PM

we had the option to go for two, too. if we really want it to be "fair"... they'd have both offenses line up against both defenses at the same time on opposing sides of the field and first one to score wins. :D

jwlynn64
1/4/2007, 03:09 PM
we had the option to go for two, too. if we really want it to be "fair"... they'd have both offenses line up against both defenses at the same time on opposing sides of the field and first one to score wins. :D

Now that's thinking outside the box!!! :D

Sooner98
1/4/2007, 07:09 PM

It just hit me - if we had won the coin toss, theoretically if it had played out just like it did, Boise would have kicked the field goal on fourth and 2, and then Peterson would have won the game with one 25 yard run, to end his career. How cool would that have been?

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 07:40 PM
The other 37% attend OSU.

I'm really kidding; I know lots of smart aggs.

Harry Beanbag
1/4/2007, 08:27 PM

This is retarded.

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 08:31 PM
Whoever scores the most points deserves to win; unless it's Oregon.

stoopified
1/4/2007, 08:34 PM
The biggest if, is what if PT played his normal steady game rather than turning the ball over four times, including a pick six and a fumble near our five yard line.In my mind the biggest IF was if Kelly had not gotten hurt.Two pf PTs oskies were underthrown jumpball passes that PT routinely threw to a covered Kelly who would make the catch and the BIG play.

Stoop Dawg
1/4/2007, 09:15 PM
This is just plain stupid. The game was tied.

Stupid?

Step out of bounds at the 2 yard line. Take a knee a couple of times, then kick a FG with time running out. Best case: You score and they don't have a chance to respond. Worst case: You miss and go to overtime.

It would have been a very, very smart play. But I wouldn't expect anyone who just grabbed an INT and had an empty endzone in front of them to think of it.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 11:22 PM
Stupid?

Step out of bounds at the 2 yard line. Take a knee a couple of times, then kick a FG with time running out. Best case: You score and they don't have a chance to respond. Worst case: You miss and go to overtime.

It would have been a very, very smart play. But I wouldn't expect anyone who just grabbed an INT and had an empty endzone in front of them to think of it.To each his own. There is no garuntee that we would have scored or even held possetion. Stepping out of bounds would have gotten his facemask grabbed by the HC from Pop Warner up in that situation.

Texas Golfer
1/4/2007, 11:35 PM
Stupid?

It would have been a very, very smart play. But I wouldn't expect anyone who just grabbed an INT and had an empty endzone in front of them to think of it.

We stop them on 4 & 18 and it's all over, too.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/7/2007, 01:43 AM
Heh, "Mr. Gal." Your man know you call him that? :D ;)

Yeah. He doesn't like it that much, but he admits it has a certain logic, and he way prefers it to "Pookie Snoots." :D

silverwheels
1/7/2007, 01:48 AM
I think we would have won if we had scored more points than they did, but what do I know?

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2007, 02:06 AM
The coach is paid big bucks for making decisions.

Bob did the right thing.

tBSU successfully "one-upped" us.

The rule is fine like it is.

sanantoniosooner
1/7/2007, 02:09 AM
Stupid?

Cowboy fans might dispute that a short fieldgoal is a gimmee.

Sure points is smart. Our D was a top rated defense. It should have held.

Stoop Dawg
1/7/2007, 06:08 PM
Didn't say it was a gimme. I said that the worst-case scenario is that we go to OT. Teams often run the clock down before they try their game winning field goal. It's good clock management to not give the other team a chance to respond.

However, it would be assinine to call a sure TD a bad decision. Are the odds greater that BSU would score a TD with one minute left or that Hartley would miss a chip shot FG? I think both odds were pretty darn low.

Damn odds.

OK2LA
1/7/2007, 06:22 PM
Whoever scores the most points deserves to win; unless it's Oregon.\
YMSSRA