PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Notre Dame....

outuba
1/4/2007, 12:53 AM
Since Notre Dame has gotten blown out by LSU and extended their bowl losing streak to nine, much of college football nation has seemed to push our game to the wayside. Even the next morning on ESPN, much of it was worrying about whether or not USC WR Dwayne Jarrett would go pro or not.

By the way, I hope Florida beats TOSU and leaves Boise St. complaining about how they are the only undefeated team but they will never be national champions.

Big Red Ron
1/4/2007, 12:58 AM
Since ND is a proven BCS loser and the only two non BCS team invited won their BCS game maybe there should be anothe ND clause in the system. For ND to be invited to a BCS bowl game they must win at least 10 games or be in the top ten unless there is a higher rated non BCS team available.

outuba
1/4/2007, 01:00 AM
Sounds good to me.

birddog
1/4/2007, 01:01 AM
pick a conference already, jack-holes.:rolleyes:

cvsooner
1/4/2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah, between this game and Saban coming to Alabama, a lot of this noise has already died down. Goody.

RedGiant
1/4/2007, 01:05 AM
I have a question. Does ND regret having a "Herculean" buy out clause in the Fat Man's contract yet? These guys look awful.

utex74
1/4/2007, 01:53 AM
pick a conference already, jack-holes.:rolleyes:

The reason Notre Dame has lost 9 straight bowls is they do not have the same bar to clear that everyone else does. They are not qualified to play in the bowls they are awarded and, therefor, they lose. Make them meet the same record/rankings requirements that the rest of us have to. While I'm at it, the BCS needs to stop s***ing the Rose Bowl, too. If they don't like it, let them leave. Them and ND. Who'll miss them? (I mean, as long as last year is history and all that ;) )

NorthernIowaSooner
1/4/2007, 01:58 AM
no defense, lousy offense against teams with good defenses, but a good traveling crowd and the media on their knees in front of them every year gets them BCS games they dont deserve

Fraggle145
1/4/2007, 02:50 AM
The thing is, this thing is not dead by a long shot... you know the damn "Flutie did it!!" play they show all the time.... I am just worried that the hook and ladder or the Statue of liberty is going to become like that... That is/will be the suck.

utex74
1/4/2007, 02:58 AM
The thing is, this thing is not dead by a long shot... you know the damn "Flutie did it!!" play they show all the time.... I am just worried that the hook and ladder or the Statue of liberty is going to become like that... That is/will be the suck.

I predict you are correct. They will be showing those plays 20 years from now.

kevpks
1/4/2007, 03:24 AM
I predict you are correct. They will be showing those plays 20 years from now.

Just like they'll be showing Roy Williams jumping over a blocker to tattoo Chrissy in 2001!

Rocker
1/4/2007, 05:24 AM
ND is OFFICIALLY the laughingstock of college football!

FlatheadSooner
1/4/2007, 06:55 AM

That's OK. In 20 years OU will have won 3 more NC's and BSU will be clinging to this game as their "glory day" memory. :D

Sooner in Tampa
1/4/2007, 07:00 AM
That's OK. In 20 years OU will have won 3 more NC's and BSU will be clinging to this game as their "glory day" memory. :DHEH...My line of thinking was very similar to this the day after the game.

Great BSU beat us and they can brag about it...but next year when we are in the hunt again for the MNC, where will BSU be?? LOOKING UP!!!!!!

Congrats to BSU for the being a one hit wonder sort of akin to Utah beating a bad Pitt.

Crimsontothecore
1/4/2007, 07:17 AM
HEH...My line of thinking was very similar to this the day after the game.

Great BSU beat us and they can brag about it...but next year when we are in the hunt again for the MNC, where will BSU be?? LOOKING UP!!!!!!

Congrats to BSU for the being a one hit wonder sort of akin to Utah beating a bad Pitt.
That's how I feel as well. One of the announcers said that Boise has 22 fifth-year seniors on this team! They are about to be devastated by graduation and they may never see a BCS bowl again, so let them enjoy it. Besides, the plays they needed to win that game are plays that will blow up in your face a majority of the time. Those plays work once in a lifetime and it all came together for them. They have seven more months to feel superior.

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 07:23 AM

Thanks for ruining my life. That single play may be the worst thing to evar happen to OU on the field -- even worse than the Johnny Rodgers punt return in '71. And when 1971's "Game of the Century" is mentioned, that's usually the only highlight shown. **** !!!!

SoonerStormchaser
1/4/2007, 08:48 AM
:texan: :pop:

Man...the ESPN and FSN mouths are really going after the Domers. :twinkies:

Makes me feel better...

Btw...off topic, does ThugU really fall off the map next year?

TXBOOMER
1/4/2007, 08:55 AM
Too bad Boise State beating OU will be talked about every time they talk about a playoff system in the future. LSU beating Notre Dame will be forgot about in a week. The media will never let us forget this one.

SoonerStormchaser
1/4/2007, 09:07 AM
...with ZERO mentioning of the Nebbish clips that are clearly shown in the footage!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2007, 09:24 AM
You can pretty well pencil in ND to be underqualified for whatever bowl they are in next year as well and look about as appealing as a Charlie Weiss swimsuit calendar. They probably take a big step back on offense next year without Quinn and Samardzija as well.

They really should be compelled to join a league like the Big 10, especially if there is going to be any type of playoff in the near future or at least the standard for them to reach the BCS should be as stringent as it is for the non-BCS conf teams like Boise St. They are always going to get an edge in the human polls anyway.

But, yes for those of you concerned that the media would only focus on the Fiesta bowl, the media has moved on. Now expect 3-4 days of hype for the BCS championship.

fadada1
1/4/2007, 09:31 AM
notre dame is given three wins a year - army, navy, air force. add in akron and toledo and they're to 5. now they'll have 2-3 of the lower tier big10 teams to put whatever over-hyped quarterback they have for that particular year out there to throw 5 touchdown (and 3 interceptions that we don't hear about). now they're up to 8 wins. they'll get lucky against a top 25 team, then get killed by the only two top 10 teams they play for the year.... oh, and navy will keep it close (so will boston college).

there's your 9-10 wins and a BCS game. upon arival to said bcs game, the very same over-hyped heisman candidate quarterback will be christened the second coming of ron paulus, beano cook will cover the heisman program with his man juice, and espn will kill us with dramatic music.

how long will it take for the powers that be to put a stop to this ****??? i love the service academies and what they stand for academically and the like, but notre dame should be ashamed to schedulethem every year.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/4/2007, 09:44 AM
Too bad Boise State beating OU will be talked about every time they talk about a playoff system in the future. LSU beating Notre Dame will be forgot about in a week. The media will never let us forget this one.

Suprisingly I'm yet to see/hear one media type take a shot at us over this loss. It has been treated as it should have been, a great Boise St win. We all know we didn't play nearly as well as we could but the embarassment would have been if Boise rolled us. When we came back it just become a legendary game that it sucked to lose.

The only laughingstock talk I've heard is from other Sooner fans or from fans of rival schools that are looking for any excuse and are not the 2006 Big 12 Champs.

batonrougesooner
1/4/2007, 09:51 AM
Both of these games, for completely opposite reasons, provide excellent evidence a college football playoff is needed.

UHS-SoonerFan
Exactly. Im glad I watched the game. I had a bad feeling in my stomach for a few days, but now I just have a feeling that I watched something great. Honestly, besides turnovers, there's not much to make fun of us over, it was truly a great game.

OUHOMER
Suprisingly I'm yet to see/hear one media type take a shot at us over this loss. It has been treated as it should have been, a great Boise St win. We all know we didn't play nearly as well as we could but the embarassment would have been if Boise rolled us. When we came back it just become a legendary game that it sucked to lose.

The only laughingstock talk I've heard is from other Sooner fans or from fans of rival schools that are looking for any excuse and are not the 2006 Big 12 Champs.

Thats a very good point, I have not heard any negitive stuff from the press. I heard more here than any where else:(

fadada1
1/4/2007, 09:54 AM
Both of these games, for completely opposite reasons, provide excellent evidence a college football playoff is needed.
exactly. but i think we can all agree that notre dame should not have been included in the (hypothetical) playoff.

Oldnslo
1/4/2007, 10:05 AM
The reason Notre Dame has lost 9 straight bowls is they do not have the same bar to clear that everyone else does. They are not qualified to play in the bowls they are awarded and, therefor, they lose. Make them meet the same record/rankings requirements that the rest of us have to. While I'm at it, the BCS needs to stop s***ing the Rose Bowl, too. If they don't like it, let them leave. Them and ND. Who'll miss them? (I mean, as long as last year is history and all that ;) )
I was going to post almost exactly this. ND has negotiated themselves into a BCS beatdown. I'd feel sad for them if they... well, there'd have to be a whole lot different, but anyway...

and, like TU, I'd just as soon that the next "Game of the Century" featured OU winning the damn thing.

The_Red_Patriot
1/4/2007, 10:08 AM
The loss to Boise ST doesnt make us a "laughingstock"

Beef
1/4/2007, 10:26 AM
The loss to Boise ST doesnt make us a "laughingstock"
I don't get this "laughingstock" crap either or the bashing of Boise St. We lost to a very good football team that has won a lot of games the last few years in a great game. We're not rivals with Boise. I hope they get plenty of other chances to play in big games. Their team plays hard and smart and they're a blast to watch.

Now Notre Dame on the other hand has earned the right to play in Shreveport for a few years.

MamaMia
1/4/2007, 10:32 AM
no defense, lousy offense against teams with good defenses, but a good traveling crowd and the media on their knees in front of them every year gets them BCS games they dont deserveWell I'm doing my part. This is one catholic girl, christened by a Notre Dame fan, who cried out Boomer Sooner. ;)

OUmillenium
1/4/2007, 10:38 AM
notre dame is given three wins a year - army, navy, air force. add in akron and toledo and they're to 5. now they'll have 2-3 of the lower tier big10 teams to put whatever over-hyped quarterback they have for that particular year out there to throw 5 touchdown (and 3 interceptions that we don't hear about). now they're up to 8 wins. they'll get lucky against a top 25 team, then get killed by the only two top 10 teams they play for the year.... oh, and navy will keep it close (so will boston college).

there's your 9-10 wins and a BCS game. upon arival to said bcs game, the very same over-hyped heisman candidate quarterback will be christened the second coming of ron paulus, beano cook will cover the heisman program with his man juice, and espn will kill us with dramatic music.

how long will it take for the powers that be to put a stop to this ****??? i love the service academies and what they stand for academically and the like, but notre dame should be ashamed to schedulethem every year.

Post of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vic n Tulsa
1/4/2007, 10:39 AM
Just like they'll be showing Roy Williams jumping over a blocker to tattoo Chrissy in 2001!

Just like Vince Young running all over USC! They kept commenting how lucky Pete Carroll was this year not having to look across the field and seeing #10.

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 10:49 AM
***Charlie Weiss swimsuit calendar....

Thanks to that phrase, I now have small burn mark seared permanently onto my brain.

opksooner
1/4/2007, 10:54 AM
I didn't watch their loss but Marc Schlabach (ESPN) did.

"The Fighting Irish will end the postseason losing streak that dates back to 1994 because next season they'll be playing in some second-tier bowl game in a non-descript place like Shreveport, La., which is where they should have been playing during much of the last two decades."

Schadenfreude never felt so good. :D

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 10:58 AM
Thats a very good point, I have not heard any negitive stuff from the press. I heard more here than any where else :(
I'm IN! uhhh....wait....

I have not heard any media parrots slapping OU. Rather, we seem to be held up as a symbol of all the Old Powers of CFB, such that beating us means instant legitimization. I suppose that's a kind of backhanded compliment. But I'll always hate being famous for a landmark loss.

Luthor
1/4/2007, 11:12 AM
I'm certainly no fan of domer. However, if Boisenberry Jr College played a schedule similar to domer's I would be much more inclined to give them a little more spec. Sure, I know they played the game of their lives against one of the big boys but so did North Western a few years back and NW still isn't in any annual BCS conversations.

The final score still determines the outcome of a game. That said however, I'm still going to give props to an over rated loser like Notre Dame before I do a small time wanna be who puts a good team together once in a blue moon.

StormySooner-IN
1/4/2007, 05:26 PM
pick a conference already, jack-holes.:rolleyes:Nobody will LET them in!:cool:

OUinFLA
1/4/2007, 05:31 PM

I think your ND idea just sux :D
I'm all for them getting to stink up a bowl game every year having to play a more talented team.
It couldnt happen to a nicer school.

TUSooner
1/4/2007, 10:12 PM
I think your ND idea just sux :D
I'm all for them getting to stink up a bowl game every year having to play a more talented team.
It couldnt happen to a nicer school.

I'd like to have seen BSu play ND.

MissouriSooner
1/5/2007, 01:05 AM
Exactly. If BSU plays OU or any other BCS school that has a chance to move on to the next round in the playoffs, it plays a team that is more motivated to win by several magnitudes. If a non-BCS Conference team is really good enough to advance, it does so in a playoff system. Most likely, the big schools play with a lot more motivation than they have under the current bowl system, and the BSU's of the world get weeded out in the first round. Another suggestion: with a playoff system, stop waiting 4 to 6 weeks to play the next game after the season ends. Get into the playoffs a week or so after the regular season, and let the NC game be played approximately when it's played now. Don't give us that crap about the student athletes needing the time to study for finals. Like that's ever been a legitimate concern.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/5/2007, 09:25 AM
By the way, what do you want to bet the Domer fans that went to the game had a less than pleasurable experience with the unwanted attention they were getting from LSU fans?

TUSooner
1/5/2007, 10:07 AM
By the way, what do you want to bet the Domer fans that went to the game had a less than pleasurable experience with the unwanted attention they were getting from LSU fans?

I talked to a couple of ND fans; the Tiger baiters are still obnoxious drunken @ssholes making strangers hate New Orleans and Louisiana.