PDA

View Full Version : Section 128 at the Fiesta Bowl

ELP Sooner
1/3/2007, 10:42 PM
Not sure if this post is meant for the football board or not....the mods will decide of course.

My little brother and I were in section 128 row 7 seats 11-12. We got to our seats about 2 hours early and already lots of OU folks were there. We enjoyed watching the team warm-up...it was cool when the kids from the band were getting into position to take the field and seeing all the smiles and waves from us fans to them. It's hard for me to describe that even before the game the sense of family I felt from the fans around me. Everything about the OU fans was first class. No booing of BSU when they took the field or their band played....and of course we all cheered wildly when ANYTHING Oklahoma was mentioned during the pre-game. Everybody sitting in our area was introducing themselves and of course talking OU football..the pride we all have in this team....the admiration for their heart and desire to overcome all the obstacles placed in their path. I was in heaven as living in El Paso and following the team vis the net and TV just doesn't give me the same opportunities to see fellow OU fans with all the passion and blind optimism we share.

The first half was pretty much the suck for OU. I thought the D played good after the first BSU drive...only a turnover gave them the 2nd TD..and the 3rd TD which I thought was a real killer looked like we had them for a negative play, but a good ad-lib by BSU got them a score. I still felt the D was OK with just the opening drive where they really dominated us. As a reminder I haven't seen the reply nor did I bother tuning in for the post game analysis. I want to say that not one word was uttered in my area during the first half that was negative about the kids or the coaches. Disappointment could be felt for sure, but none of the sky is falling crowd was loud enough for me to hear.

At halftime when the band came out to the field...again the OU fans got into it showing their pride in the state...and the program. No booing or anything negative when BSU was on the field...total class by our fans.

After the int return for a score and a 28-10 defect things were looking mighty bleak. Again no quit in the fans around me. Standing as they had for the entire game....cheering when we were on defense trying to make some noise...and quiet pre-snap on offense. No negativity from any of them...I know deep down I felt we were dead but I was hoping to make it respectable as the defense in my opinion had really settled in. Of course we all know about the muffed punt and recovery for OU leading to a touchdown. Eventually of course the guys tied it up which was amazing and showed great HEART. After the interception return for a score ....I died and went to Sooner heaven! Everybody was hugging one another and jumping up and down and just going crazy! It was one of the best experiences in my life! What a feeling! Being down all game and to storm back like that...man it was freaking awesome. I mean we were moving around our section just looking to hug someone....just amazing! The sooner bench was just in front of us 7 rows or so....and the players were standing on the bench and I was going crazy. Screaming at the top of my lungs "Sooner Magic, corazón (Spanish for heart) and we love you guys!" As I was screaming one of the our players #13 (and I had to look up who it was and I think it was Michael Hayes as I checked his bio pic at soonersports.com and I think it was him and not Knall) ....anyway I see him pointing and it looks like right at me...so i point back at him and he nods his head and gives the thumbs up sign....that was too cool! The could have just shot me right there....I was in my own little Sooner utopia.

Of course we all know how the game ended and I wont go into how heartbroken we all were. The OU fans... all of them on the way out were just great....shaking hands....patting one another on the back. In the parking lot on the way out the traffic was a joke....we didn't really move at all for about half an hour. I had my window down when I saw a few OU fans sitting on their truck and smoking....so I asked him if I could bum one...of course he gave me three (being the classy sooner fan) and we talked about the game and how the kids didn't quit and gave it all they had and he was proud of them too.

My brother who went with me wasn't really a big OU fan...in fact he lives in phoenix, graduated from Loyola marymount university and has ASU season tix. After the game he told me he is a sooner fan for life. He goes to lots of college football games and said that the passion, spirit and class of the OU fans around us...and the guts of this team is something that he really admires. He noted that even if a kid doesn't play in the game how involved they were in cheering for the team and that the fans went out of their way to make all the kids...band...reserves on the team...student managers...whatever the position was...to make all the kids feel special....feel a part of the university....a family if you will.

So to you fans in section 128 down near the bottom...and our team for having a huge heart.....thanks to all of you for one of the most memorable and fun events I have attended in a very long time!

Stitch Face
1/3/2007, 10:46 PM
Nope, sorry. This goes on the Women's Volleyball board.

MODS!!!

picasso
1/3/2007, 10:52 PM
great post! I kept expecting to read where some drunken fans ruined the evening for you and then I remembered we didn't play LSU.

MamaMia
1/3/2007, 11:24 PM
Wow, Sooner fans really are a wonderful bunch. Thanks for the trip report. This is but one example. :D

ELP Sooner
1/3/2007, 11:30 PM
picasso....We had some young kids rooting for Boise who were behind us and drunk....even that was a highlight. How? An older lady who was pulling for OU turned around and told them to stop with the profanity....they grumbled a bit...but basically kept it clean. They were just kids....and I dont think they really knew much about football....so we pretty much ignored them anyway. Funny how when OU took the lead they disappeared. Only to return for the OT. Real diehards...not. I have no idea if they were reflective of the BSU fans or not...if so...one word would sum them up as fans...poor.

josh09
1/3/2007, 11:36 PM
Not sure if this post is meant for the football board or not....the mods will decide of course.

My little brother and I were in section 128 row 7 seats 11-12. We got to our seats about 2 hours early and already lots of OU folks were there. We enjoyed watching the team warm-up...it was cool when the kids from the band were getting into position to take the field and seeing all the smiles and waves from us fans to them. It's hard for me to describe that even before the game the sense of family I felt from the fans around me. Everything about the OU fans was first class. No booing of BSU when they took the field or their band played....and of course we all cheered wildly when ANYTHING Oklahoma was mentioned during the pre-game. Everybody sitting in our area was introducing themselves and of course talking OU football..the pride we all have in this team....the admiration for their heart and desire to overcome all the obstacles placed in their path. I was in heaven as living in El Paso and following the team vis the net and TV just doesn't give me the same opportunities to see fellow OU fans with all the passion and blind optimism we share.

The first half was pretty much the suck for OU. I thought the D played good after the first BSU drive...only a turnover gave them the 2nd TD..and the 3rd TD which I thought was a real killer looked like we had them for a negative play, but a good ad-lib by BSU got them a score. I still felt the D was OK with just the opening drive where they really dominated us. As a reminder I haven't seen the reply nor did I bother tuning in for the post game analysis. I want to say that not one word was uttered in my area during the first half that was negative about the kids or the coaches. Disappointment could be felt for sure, but none of the sky is falling crowd was loud enough for me to hear.

At halftime when the band came out to the field...again the OU fans got into it showing their pride in the state...and the program. No booing or anything negative when BSU was on the field...total class by our fans.

After the int return for a score and a 28-10 defect things were looking mighty bleak. Again no quit in the fans around me. Standing as they had for the entire game....cheering when we were on defense trying to make some noise...and quiet pre-snap on offense. No negativity from any of them...I know deep down I felt we were dead but I was hoping to make it respectable as the defense in my opinion had really settled in. Of course we all know about the muffed punt and recovery for OU leading to a touchdown. Eventually of course the guys tied it up which was amazing and showed great HEART. After the interception return for a score ....I died and went to Sooner heaven! Everybody was hugging one another and jumping up and down and just going crazy! It was one of the best experiences in my life! What a feeling! Being down all game and to storm back like that...man it was freaking awesome. I mean we were moving around our section just looking to hug someone....just amazing! The sooner bench was just in front of us 7 rows or so....and the players were standing on the bench and I was going crazy. Screaming at the top of my lungs "Sooner Magic, corazón (Spanish for heart) and we love you guys!" As I was screaming one of the our players #13 (and I had to look up who it was and I think it was Michael Hayes as I checked his bio pic at soonersports.com and I think it was him and not Knall) ....anyway I see him pointing and it looks like right at me...so i point back at him and he nods his head and gives the thumbs up sign....that was too cool! The could have just shot me right there....I was in my own little Sooner utopia.

Of course we all know how the game ended and I wont go into how heartbroken we all were. The OU fans... all of them on the way out were just great....shaking hands....patting one another on the back. In the parking lot on the way out the traffic was a joke....we didn't really move at all for about half an hour. I had my window down when I saw a few OU fans sitting on their truck and smoking....so I asked him if I could bum one...of course he gave me three (being the classy sooner fan) and we talked about the game and how the kids didn't quit and gave it all they had and he was proud of them too.

My brother who went with me wasn't really a big OU fan...in fact he lives in phoenix, graduated from Loyola marymount university and has ASU season tix. After the game he told me he is a sooner fan for life. He goes to lots of college football games and said that the passion, spirit and class of the OU fans around us...and the guts of this team is something that he really admires. He noted that even if a kid doesn't play in the game how involved they were in cheering for the team and that the fans went out of their way to make all the kids...band...reserves on the team...student managers...whatever the position was...to make all the kids feel special....feel a part of the university....a family if you will.

So to you fans in section 128 down near the bottom...and our team for having a huge heart.....thanks to all of you for one of the most memorable and fun events I have attended in a very long time!

Awesome. Too bad i couldnt sit there. I had to sit in Section 433, with 3 BS fans in front of me, turning around and yelling and cussing at all the sooner fans around them every time something good happened for them. They were pretty stupid too, because they were in the middle of an all-OU section. A bunch of sooner fans started yelling stuff at them, and they kept trying to pick fights with everyone. One of them, who must have thought he was superman or something because he had a BSU cape on, looked JUST LIKE Carlos Mencia. And, as the game progressed, his friend called him Carlos!

Anyways, i guess they ended up getting kicked out at halftime because they didnt come back for the 2nd half. But my overall point, or question, is this: Is Carlos Mencia a BS fan? Because if he is, then that was definately him.

By the way, im refusing to watch anything with Carlos Mencia in it until i figure out if its him or not. What a jackass too, if it was him.

cvsooner
1/3/2007, 11:48 PM
Awesome. Too bad i couldnt sit there. I had to sit in Section 433, with 3 BS fans in front of me, turning around and yelling and cussing at all the sooner fans around them every time something good happened for them. They were pretty stupid too, because they were in the middle of an all-OU section. A bunch of sooner fans started yelling stuff at them, and they kept trying to pick fights with everyone. One of them, who must have thought he was superman or something because he had a BSU cape on, looked JUST LIKE Carlos Mencia. And, as the game progressed, his friend called him Carlos!

Anyways, i guess they ended up getting kicked out at halftime because they didnt come back for the 2nd half.

My son and I were in 433 too, right next to them. My son is a police officer. (Not in Arizona.) He found an officer at halftime and they...um...had a talk about the situation, along with the stadium security personnel. The three were not heard from again following that. I don't know what happened to them but that's what happened.

josh09
1/3/2007, 11:51 PM
My son and I were in 433 too, right next to them. My son is a police officer. (Not in Arizona.) He found an officer at halftime and they...um...had a talk about the situation, along with the stadium security personnel. The three were not heard from again following that. I don't know what happened to them but that's what happened.

Ya, i saw that one guy who came up and talked to that sooner fan who was giving them crap, and then come over and talk to them. I thought they were going downstairs to start a fight or something. Were you the guy to the left of them?

cvsooner
1/3/2007, 11:55 PM
Yep, that was me, the 50-year-old guy to their left, with the really big guy to my left. We had on the "40 conference title" long sleeved t-shirts and hats from the Holiday Bowl.

josh09
1/3/2007, 11:58 PM
Oh ya, he talked to you or someone in your party when you were heading downstairs, didnt he? I thought he was trying to start something.

josh09
1/3/2007, 11:59 PM
Well i was the guy about 2 rows straight above them, sitting next to my son. My wife was the lady who went down and gave them a lecture. I thought that was hilarious :D

cvsooner
1/4/2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah, my son told him to sit down and put a sock in it. The one jerk in particular started with the obscenities and my son, who is 6'3", 245 pounds, a combat veteran from Kosovo and a police officer in one of the rougher neighborhoods of California, decided to exercise due caution. He could've snapped him like a twig but since he didn't have any jurisdiction decided it was best to let someone else handle it. The clown was throwing down gang signs and doing a pistol shooting motion at an admittedly obnoxious Sooner fan. (They do exist, too, unfortunately).

I think my son mostly didn't want to miss the second half which is what would've happened if he got more involved. But, they were only obnoxious for a half...and then they were gone.

cvsooner
1/4/2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah, your wife was awesome. They'd had too much beer, besides being fans of Bozo State. I mean, who picks orange for a school color?

Oh, yeah...Texas, Oklahoma State, Tennessee...no wonder I didn't like 'em.

PhxSooner
1/4/2007, 12:46 AM
We were in 434 and saw something going on over there, but didn't know what was up. We had some ASU fans cheering for Boise, but our section was pretty mellow.

cvsooner
1/4/2007, 12:51 AM
Sadly there were some other Boise fans in our section trying to get them to knock it off, but they wouldn't listen even to other fans. My big gripe: who in the Sooner section sold their tickets to Bozo State fans?

jwlynn64
1/4/2007, 12:56 AM
Having taken a beating in selling my tickets (couldn't get off work), I don't blame anyone for selling to who ever would buy their tickets. It almost got to the point that you couldn't give away your tickets.

cvsooner
1/4/2007, 01:03 AM
I don't have a problem with selling tickets, but man...sell 'em to a Sooner.

jwlynn64
1/4/2007, 01:21 AM
Were any buying tickets? I had to try really hard not to put mine for sell on ebay. I still had to sell them for half price to another Sooner and I still haven't recieved payment. That's how far I went to make sure they went to a Sooner.

Other people may not have had the option to try and get them into the hands of a Sooner. Maybe they needed the cash and had to sell to whoever was buying? Just saying....

AlabamaSooner
1/4/2007, 02:45 AM
There's only one good thing about BCS bowl games with high ticket prices...the rif raf fans that show no class won't show up. It's always a lot nicer to be around great fans who aren't acting like jerks. Glad to hear it was a good experience.

MarylandSooner
1/4/2007, 05:42 AM
I was sitting in section 432 which was all Sooner Fans except six Bozo Staters that looked to be all teenagers and every one of them were mouthy from the start of the game. I sitting with mature citizens below them so we just kind of ignored them but there were some twenty something Sooners above them and I thought these Bozo's were going to get killed before halftime, fortunately for us I did not see them again after the second half started. I guess what you can take from this experience is that there are alot of people with no class, and you can tell when people have been to the big time and the ones that have never been there. (Bozo Staters).

virginiasooner
1/4/2007, 12:17 PM
My hubby and I were in section 445. We had a great time, except for the fact that I couldn't bring my camera into the stadium. I was panicking, trying to figure out what to do, since we went out to the stadium in a taxi. After a couple of false starts, I found a place for my camera. A couple from California agreed to hold my camera, and return it after the game. So, once again, a BIG THANK YOU to Gus (former MWC Bomber, former Marine), his wife, and their friends, who came through for a total stranger, waited for us after the game (didn't have to wait too long for us because we were only two sections apart), and my Nikon is safe at home. And since I bought my tickets through a broker, it did not include all the info that said SLR cameras with detachable lenses are not allowed into the stadium.

And I congratulated all the Boise State people on their win. And I also told them "now do that in the Colliseum. Or the Horseshoe. Or the Big House. Or the Swamp. And no more 1-AA teams!"

bluesmagoo
1/4/2007, 01:02 PM
There's only one good thing about BCS bowl games with high ticket prices...the rif raf fans that show no class won't show up. It's always a lot nicer to be around great fans who aren't acting like jerks. Glad to hear it was a good experience.
There is a lot of riff-raff, and high ticket prices keep that trash away. Too bad that we (and I'm not rich) may have to redistribute our income to them soon.

jwlynn64
1/4/2007, 01:06 PM
But don't you feel honored to do so? Our former President Bill Clinton said that Tax day was the happiest day of the year to him. He gets to help other people out!

Guess he never heard of charity.

In any case (getting back to football) there are plenty of wealthy riff raff as well.

ELP Sooner
1/5/2007, 11:30 AM
I never really thought about the high ticket price as being a factor in keeping away jerkoffs....good point. As long as my finances continue to be good I am making a vow to take my brother to an OU game in Norman next year. We had so much fun at a neutral site in a game OU lost....that being in Norman and seeing the guys kick the crap out of some hapless team sounds like a worthwhile experience!

Thanks everyone for the nice responses.

josh09
1/5/2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, my son told him to sit down and put a sock in it. The one jerk in particular started with the obscenities and my son, who is 6'3", 245 pounds, a combat veteran from Kosovo and a police officer in one of the rougher neighborhoods of California, decided to exercise due caution. He could've snapped him like a twig but since he didn't have any jurisdiction decided it was best to let someone else handle it. The clown was throwing down gang signs and doing a pistol shooting motion at an admittedly obnoxious Sooner fan. (They do exist, too, unfortunately).

I think my son mostly didn't want to miss the second half which is what would've happened if he got more involved. But, they were only obnoxious for a half...and then they were gone.

The snapping like a twig thing would have been great :D

Huskernsooner71
1/6/2007, 12:40 AM
My buddies got their tickets 2 hours before gametime in section 128 row 8 seats 1-2 so they sat right behind you guys.