PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol detection system built into your car

Osce0la
1/3/2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry if already posted...

Toyota creating alcohol detection system (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070103/ap_on_hi_te/japan_toyota_drunken_driving)

TOKYO - Toyota Motor Corp. is developing a fail-safe system for cars that detects drunken drivers and automatically shuts the vehicle down if sensors pick up signs of excessive alcohol consumption, a news report said Wednesday.

Vaevictis
1/3/2007, 10:40 PM
That's the first thing I tear to shreds on a new car if I buy one with it installed. And I don't even drink.

There's no ****ing way I'm going to have MY stuff telling me I how I can and cannot use it, not if I have any say in it.

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2007, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I don't see that being a real popular option unless it's court-ordered or something.

Melo
1/3/2007, 11:28 PM
How would they work out what 'excessive' meant? What isnt excessive for some people, ie - taller, heavier men, would be excessive for other people, ie - shorter, less heavier women.

GottaHavePride
1/3/2007, 11:55 PM
How does it detect this? Alcohol in the air inside the car? Mouthwash will set it off. Some cleaners inside the car might set it off. And so on.

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2007, 11:58 PM
How does it detect this? Alcohol in the air inside the car? Mouthwash will set it off. Some cleaners inside the car might set it off. And so on.

Anal probe.

sooner_born_1960
1/4/2007, 12:40 AM
I think I'll be signing up for one of those.

SoonerTerry
1/4/2007, 12:46 AM
This kind of "inovation" makes me glad I know electronics...

Osce0la
1/4/2007, 08:04 AM

Cars fitted with the detection system will not start if sweat sensors in the driving wheel detect high levels of alcohol in the driver's bloodstream, according to a report carried by the mass-circulation daily, Asahi Shimbun.

The system could also kick in if the sensors detect abnormal steering, or if a special camera shows that the driver's pupils are not in focus. The car is then slowed to a halt, the report said.

One good thing is if crazy steering will shut the car off, this would get a lot of the jacka**es off the road...

Newbomb Turk
1/4/2007, 08:47 AM
just more **** to go wrong with a car so you have to take it to a dealer and get it fixed.

ultimatesooner1
1/4/2007, 10:41 AM
Cars fitted with the detection system will not start if sweat sensors in the driving wheel detect high levels of alcohol in the driver's bloodstream,

so can the drunk people just drive with gloves on?

GottaHavePride
1/4/2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, and what about people that wear glasses? A camera will probably think their eyes are always out-of-focus. Stupid ideas.