PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No

85Sooner
1/3/2007, 04:11 PM
Serious question.

Continue to live in Austin Tx. Selling electronics, Work til 9 pm every night including weekends and holidays.been doing it for 12 years and am fat happy but kinda burned out. Only CHL hockey and longhorn sports are here, tons of job security but no family,only friends are coworkers. Dispite the longhorns, Austin is nice and the economy is good. I think it cost more to live in Austin than okc

or take a new job,

selling medical pain relieving devices in OKC, to Dr's and Physical therapists, work 7-5, mon thru fri, no weekend or holiday , Blazer hockey redbirds, OU football Easier access to place at texoma for fishing etc.all family is in okla... but 20-30% lower income, work as independent contractor so I pay all taxes and all med insurances etc....

Supposed 1st year 40-60k and supposed 80-120k after that.

I admit it. I'm a chicken ^%$$# when it comes to change

BTW my current employer will let me give it a try, and come back if I don't like it after a couple of months

Do I stay in Austin or move back to OKC?

TIA

OUHOMER
1/3/2007, 04:19 PM
OKC, when do you get here. not even a question for me.

Boomer.....
1/3/2007, 04:45 PM
You have to love what you do. If you are not happy with your job now, try out the new one, even if it is a pay cut. Nothing is worse than dreading to go to work everyday.

sooner_born_1960
1/3/2007, 04:48 PM
and am fat happy but kinda burned out
Doesn't really sound like he hates his job. And that is a sizable cut in pay. The medical insurance make it even more sizable. I'm not sure a couple months is enough time to gauge the impact of all that. Good luck in whatever you decide.

85Sooner
1/3/2007, 04:50 PM
Doesn't really sound like he hates his job. And that is a sizable cut in pay. The medical insurance make it even more sizable. I'm not sure a couple months is enough time to gauge the impact of all that. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Yeah I noticed that. At least I think I could decide whether or not it was a good fit. Its hard to leave a job after 13 years and BTW I'm 42 so I am kinda feeling its now or never.

MamaMia
1/3/2007, 04:52 PM
Since your current boss will allow you to give the new opportunity a try, you really have very little to lose. I'd go with OKC. Do you own your home?

OklahomaTuba
1/3/2007, 05:00 PM
Join the circus.

That would be my advice.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 05:02 PM
Should I stay or should I go now?

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2007, 05:02 PM
will your new customer base be allowed to just browse around and ask dumb questions?

:)

Partial Qualifier
1/3/2007, 05:03 PM
Serious question.

or take a new job,

selling medical pain relieving devices in OKC, to Dr's and Physical therapists, work 7-5, mon thru fri, no weekend or holiday , Blazer hockey redbirds, OU football Easier access to place at texoma for fishing etc.all family is in okla... but 20-30% lower income, work as independent contractor so I pay all taxes and all med insurances etc....

Supposed 1st year 40-60k and supposed 80-120k after that.

I'm thinking it would be hard to count on $80-120k in that profession unless you're a hot single blonde between 20-30 with an impressive rack -OR- you're fairly well-connected in the metro medical community. Unless things have changed from 10 years ago or so.

You'd have no safety net as an independent being contracted out for sales, so giving up 20-30 percent of your pay in a stable situation.... plus giving up access to a group health plan... idunno man, that's a pretty big risk

sooner_born_1960
1/3/2007, 05:08 PM
On the bright side, they sell electronics in Oklahoma too.

85Sooner
1/3/2007, 05:40 PM
Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go there will be trouble and if I STAY THERE WILL BE DOUBLE.
thanks for the advice. I would really enjoy going to a game next year for a change.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 05:58 PM
thanks for the advice. I would really enjoy going to a game next year for a change.

You're welcome for the advice I didn't give.

I'll tell you what, if Austin weren't too damned far from Waco and you don't mind living in Fort Gibson, you could just trade lives with me.

I'm going back to Texas on Saturday, you move up here once I leave. Win/Win.

TexasLidig8r
1/3/2007, 07:35 PM
Unless you plan your life around OU football games, Longhorn athletics and Sooner athletics should not be a consideration.

Perhaps your boss at your old place is testing your loyalty... the old, let's see if he will go if he has the chance or will he show loyalty to us. If you are gone a few months, and your position is important to the company, it will be filled when you are gone.

As for selling medical equipment.. perhaps Doc and others on here can give you a head's up on the state of the industry right now.. what they look for, what they are exposed to.

Then.... do you want to live in Austin or OKC? Which is better for the recreational things you like to do?

Take into account the state income tax in Oklahoma as well as a hit off the income....

If you are working that much in Austin and aren't the boss.. that means you either need an assistant because there is too much work to do.. or... are there ways to streamline what you do?

The final thing.. you gotta do what is going to make you happy. If you like Austin, for the most part, like your job but your job simply needs adjusting... strive for that.

soonerboomer93
1/3/2007, 07:39 PM
you might ask lilsooner about the job you've been offered as she works selling medical supplies and frankly their might be better paying jobs, or it might not be a great company to work for.

bluedogok
1/3/2007, 11:30 PM
Take into account the state income tax in Oklahoma as well as a hit off the income....My overall tax burden is more here in Austin than they were in OKC, I moved here almost 4 years ago from OKC. The Travis County property taxes more than make up the difference from my OK income taxes. I would imagine that his in Williamson County are just as bad.

Our property taxes this year are a bit over $2,000, that is for a house valued at $125,000. My sister has a larger house (400 sf difference) in west OKC (your old neighborhood Brad) and her taxes are a little over $500, the house is valued a little less than ours.

I consider moving back at times, but my wifes job is unique, before I made the decision to move here she looked for something similar and didn't find much available and nothing that came close in what she was getting paid. In my situation I can't get licensed in Oklahoma but I can in Colorado (where we plan on moving in the future) and in Texas. So I doubt that we will ever move back to OK.

tbl
1/4/2007, 12:09 AM
Financially, it definitely makes more sense to stay in Austin. I would not rely on the promise of increase after a year. You know how sales is.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/4/2007, 12:39 AM
thanks for the advice. I would really enjoy going to a game next year for a change.Um that's not the next line to the song.

Vaevictis
1/4/2007, 12:41 AM
but 20-30% lower income, work as independent contractor so I pay all taxes and all med insurances etc....

Supposed 1st year 40-60k...

Jeesh, try more like 50%+ lower take home. Your SS tax is going to double (iirc), your medicare will increase, your health care costs will increase, and you're going to go from a no income tax state to a state with income tax. The only place you might gain is property tax.

Basically, the question you need to be asking yourself is: Is the benefit you're deriving -- close to family, less horns, more sooners, etc -- worth $30k+ (annually!) to you?

I would really enjoy going to a game next year for a change.

If you want to go to a game next year, take a couple days, hop in your car or get on a plane and go. You're talking about taking a $30k+/yr paycut, if you can afford to do that, you can sure as hell afford the tickets plus gas/plane ticket and a hotel room, plus a day or two off.

SoonerTerry
1/4/2007, 12:44 AM
Family would be the difference maker for me.

SoonerJack
1/4/2007, 09:14 AM
Vaevictis nailed it.

I don't see how anybody works in retail. Evenings until nine and weekends would suck, not to mention holidays. Having been a self-employed person myself, the taxes are harsh, and the medical insurance was the thing that pushed me back into "working for the man".

By the way, your website on electronics hookups is awesome. I found a few typos here and there (I'm and editor type person) but other than that, it was solid and very helpful.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2007, 10:59 AM
how will a move effect your kids? that would be my main consideration......

85Sooner
1/4/2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the input. Family and friends are thye most important. Those times in life will never return.

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2007, 11:11 AM
i think lid's advice was the best, dont move so you can go to more football games.....just tell your boss that you'll need a saturday off now and then....i know thats a big day for retail but thats a compromise

if your kids love the schools they're in, then i'd stay where you are

85Sooner
1/4/2007, 11:30 AM
i think lid's advice was the best, dont move so you can go to more football games.....just tell your boss that you'll need a saturday off now and then....i know thats a big day for retail but thats a compromise

if your kids love the schools they're in, then i'd stay where you are

The oldest isn't in school yet. Currently I am off on wed and thur so I do get to see the kids. When they go to school next year, I will never see them because I will have to work on weekends, the only time they are out of school. so that is a major consideration.

jk the sooner fan
1/4/2007, 11:34 AM
i dont know how active your kids will be in extra curricular activities, but school starting will eat a bunch of free time.....i dont know whether that fits better with the job in OK, or the one you have now. i always had the decision to move made for me courtesy the Army, lol.....9 times in 18 years

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/4/2007, 12:09 PM
(I'm and editor type person)Haha

tbl
1/4/2007, 04:10 PM
Haha
Dude that is hilarious!!!

skycat
1/4/2007, 04:16 PM
My overall tax burden is more here in Austin than they were in OKC, I moved here almost 4 years ago from OKC. The Travis County property taxes more than make up the difference from my OK income taxes. I would imagine that his in Williamson County are just as bad.

Our property taxes this year are a bit over $2,000, that is for a house valued at $125,000. My sister has a larger house (400 sf difference) in west OKC (your old neighborhood Brad) and her taxes are a little over $500, the house is valued a little less than ours.

I consider moving back at times, but my wifes job is unique, before I made the decision to move here she looked for something similar and didn't find much available and nothing that came close in what she was getting paid. In my situation I can't get licensed in Oklahoma but I can in Colorado (where we plan on moving in the future) and in Texas. So I doubt that we will ever move back to OK.

Word. Property taxes here more than make up for the lack of income tax in my experience.

The real difference as noted above is being self employed vs. not.

OklahomaRed
1/4/2007, 04:24 PM
What kind of medical devices? Pacemakers and stents, good. Some other devices, might be tough.

85Sooner
1/4/2007, 05:55 PM
What kind of medical devices? Pacemakers and stents, good. Some other devices, might be tough.

TEns units and mobile traction units.