PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma City Penguins?

Scott D
1/3/2007, 01:40 PM
Don't laugh quite yet, although I think the odds are against it due to the proximity to Dallas, whom I believe would have to approve it.

Kansas City is believed to be the first city to extend an invitation for a visit to Lemieux and the Penguins' ownership team. Other cities that have expressed interest in the Penguins are Houston, Winnipeg, Portland, Ore., and possibly Oklahoma City.

Pens lease in their rat trap arena in Pittsburgh is up in June, and with a potential sale falling through last month, Lemieux is looking heavily at relocating.

Boomer.....
1/3/2007, 02:25 PM
I think that would be great, but the last time that the chance was up to get an NHL team, the locals shot it down to keep the Blazers.

bluedogok
1/3/2007, 09:13 PM
That was for an IHL team, which was a league that folded about 2 years later and a similar situation to the Wranglers/AFL before the NFL got involved in the AFL. I am pretty sure an NHL team would get approval.

HoserSooner
1/3/2007, 10:02 PM
Nothing against any of the cities, but does an NHL team really belong in Oklahoma City, Kansas City or Houston?

We've seen what kind of response the two teams that have won the Stanley Cup the last two years' as far as attendance goes. Phoenix, Anaheim, Miami, and Carolina shouldn't have NHL teams either. I'm on the fence with Atlanta and Nashvillle.

I'm not championing for a Canadian city, even though the place would sell tickets, even with a losing team. But Bettman's experiment with putting a hockey team in states that don't follow hockey just ain't working out. When you have to compete with the NFL, NBA, MLB and NCAA football and basketball, you aren't going to win with people that don't know the sport.

Just my $0.02.

RacerX
1/3/2007, 10:18 PM
Lord I hope not.

Not enough fighting in the NHL for this town.

trwxxa
1/3/2007, 10:48 PM
Things are pretty quiet in Houston. Houston Rockets owner Les Alexander did make a run at the Oilers a few years ago, but I think he is focusing on getting people to pay to watch the Rockets again.

With that said, I would rather pay $15 to watch the AHL and watch the NHL on the tube. I could not afford to go to too many NHL games.

Scott D
1/3/2007, 11:50 PM
Nothing against any of the cities, but does an NHL team really belong in Oklahoma City, Kansas City or Houston?

We've seen what kind of response the two teams that have won the Stanley Cup the last two years' as far as attendance goes. Phoenix, Anaheim, Miami, and Carolina shouldn't have NHL teams either. I'm on the fence with Atlanta and Nashvillle.

I'm not championing for a Canadian city, even though the place would sell tickets, even with a losing team. But Bettman's experiment with putting a hockey team in states that don't follow hockey just ain't working out. When you have to compete with the NFL, NBA, MLB and NCAA football and basketball, you aren't going to win with people that don't know the sport.

Just my $0.02.

Give up man. Nobody wants to brave Winterpeg weather to see another game in that horrid building with that giant picture of Queen Elizabeth :D

And neither Buffalo or Toronto will ever let Hamilton be more than an AHL affiliate.

BigRedJed
1/4/2007, 12:40 AM
OKC won't be interested. And the deal in '99 was for an IHL team. The Blazers ultimately prevailed with a LOT of arm twisting behind closed doors. It was an ugly deal. Officials (most notably Kirk Humphreys) wanted to explore the IHL deal because they thought it was a stepping stone to the NHL, or something else. There was an attempt to get an NHL expansion team in '97, I want to say, and OKC was a finalist. Barely lost out.

But now that we are the top relocation (or expansion, if the league expands) target for the NBA, city leaders will be unlikely to lunge at hockey, which is deeply troubled right now. NBA is the far better brand, and OKC is all but guaranteed to have a team within the next five years or so. The only reason the city was so interested in the NHL before was because the NBA is less attainable and the success of the Blazers seemed to show a passion for hockey existed here.

Now that this is an attractive market to the NBA, it would be foolish to let the NHL come in here, which would by extension keep the NBA out. The market is too small right now to host two major-league level teams. Give it 10-15 years with current growth and business trends.

GrapevineSooner
1/4/2007, 01:16 AM
I'm personally rooting for Portland or Las Vegas to get the Pens simply because it would mean Dallas would get to move out of the Pacific division.

Not that I mind late night games (like tonight's contest against Vancouver that went to a shootout). But the travel has got to be hell for Dallas.

HoserSooner
1/4/2007, 08:44 AM
Give up man. Nobody wants to brave Winterpeg weather to see another game in that horrid building with that giant picture of Queen Elizabeth :D

And neither Buffalo or Toronto will ever let Hamilton be more than an AHL affiliate.

Oh I know the Winnipeg and Hamilton deals won't happen for a long time if ever.

There are cities up here (Regina/Saskatoon, Halifax) that would welcome and support an NHL team more than any of the other cities that I mentioned. Put a team in a city that embraces hockey as a major sport. I'm sure the Dakotas or Wisconsin would support a team, as they already support their NCAA teams and they at least know the game.

RacerX
1/4/2007, 10:20 AM
and OKC is all but guaranteed to have a team within the next five years or so.

That would be awesome.

We're going to see the Hornets/Pistons tonight. I'd never darken the place if it was NHL.

Mixer!
1/7/2007, 06:55 PM
Seriously, Regina? I could see the Cleveland Barons returning before that happens.