PDA

View Full Version : LSU Backup QB

southern sooner
1/3/2007, 12:42 PM
For a while there was some serious speculation that their backup would be graaduating and could come and play his final year at OU.... Any updates?

Rhino
1/3/2007, 12:48 PM
When Jamarcus Russell announces he will/he won't enter the NFL draft, we'll know more.

SelmaBamaFan
1/3/2007, 12:53 PM
Yall talking about Perrilloux or however you spell it?

southern sooner
1/3/2007, 12:58 PM
nope - the stud that put the beat down on miami last year in the bowl game...

colleyvillesooner
1/3/2007, 01:48 PM
nope - the stud that put the beat down on miami last year in the bowl game...

Matt Flynn

He went 13 for 22, 196 yds and 2 TD's. Not exactly an all world performance.

Yeah they won 40-3. 272 yards rushing a a great D helped some. :D

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2007, 03:40 PM
how does that work/count against schollies for a year.....if we have "x" amount of scholarships to hand out....and we give them all away.....and then a player transfers in like that....

how does that work?

colleyvillesooner
1/3/2007, 03:43 PM
no idea,

Your welcome.

SelmaBamaFan
1/3/2007, 04:49 PM
If he Xfer's during the summer he will have to sit out a year anyways. So it would go on the next year's scholarship count.

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2007, 04:54 PM
no, for some reason flynn would not have to sit out a year, dont ask me why because i'd not be able to give you the correct answer, but i've seen it postd on here by somebody else......some sorta special case

Remembering Tom Stidham
1/3/2007, 04:56 PM
No, he would be immediately eligible. BUT Bob promised the Nichol boy we would not be taking anymore quarterbacks.

Mjcpr
1/3/2007, 05:08 PM
no, for some reason flynn would not have to sit out a year, dont ask me why because i'd not be able to give you the correct answer, but i've seen it postd on here by somebody else......some sorta special case

Isn't it a new rule put in place a year or two ago that says a 5th year SR can transfer to any school after graduating with no penalty for his graduate studies? Or something like that.

southern sooner
1/3/2007, 05:09 PM
Idont know if Bob makes promises, I think he is more of a "if you are the best you will start"....

jk the sooner fan
1/3/2007, 05:10 PM
something like that!

lcaldwell1
1/3/2007, 05:12 PM
mjcpr that was always my understanding also.. that a 5th yr SR could go anywhere without penalty after graduating

Scott D
1/3/2007, 05:38 PM
If he Xfer's during the summer he will have to sit out a year anyways. So it would go on the next year's scholarship count.

It's a graduate school rule that was introduced last summer. There haven't been very many players who have taken advantage of it. Offhand I think really only a guy left either Duke or Wake Forest to go to Stanford. The question really seems to be when Flynn would graduate (some people had him graduating in december, others in may). At first people thought the rule could negatively affect smaller schools and mid-majors, but we won't know for awhile.

SelmaBamaFan
1/3/2007, 06:02 PM
Ah he is a Sr, that explains it. If he plays this fall, he will be on this year's scholarship counts. If he sits out next season and enrolls for the second semester (same as a gray shirt), it will count on next year's totals.

colleyvillesooner
1/3/2007, 06:08 PM
A CB, Ryan Smith, from Utah followed Meyer to Florida. Worked out, as he is a 2nd team AA, 5th in total tackles, had 8 INT's and 7 pass breakups and 3.5 tackles for loss.

And he graduated as a Junior so he can play for 2 years.

http://florida.scout.com/2/603230.html

stoopified
1/3/2007, 07:54 PM
No, he would be immediately eligible. BUT Bob promised the Nichol boy we would not be taking anymore quarterbacks.Actually what he said was we would not recruit any more QBs.Technically,If Flynn came here Stoops would still have told the truth.We have not RECRUITED Flynn as he is at LSU and that would violate NCAA rules.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/4/2007, 02:25 PM
...a new rule put in place a year or two ago that says a 5th year SR can transfer to any school after graduating with no penalty for his graduate studies?

Yep. Flynn either has graduated or will in May. He would move to a new school without any penalty if he wasn't going to play at LSU next year.

Collier11
1/4/2007, 05:57 PM
He might have told NIchol he wouldnt recruit anymore hs qbs, if we can get flynn I dont know why we wouldnt want to...he may not be the next heupel, but I would feel better with him than two freshman

SelmaBamaFan
1/4/2007, 07:19 PM
Does this guy have a RS year available? If so he can graduate in May, redshirt next season and then play as a 5th year Sr with a year of the offense under his belt.

Harry Beanbag
1/4/2007, 08:30 PM
Can we put this fantasy to bed now? Russell is going in the early 1st round.

LSUdeek
1/5/2007, 10:34 AM
Does this guy have a RS year available? If so he can graduate in May, redshirt next season and then play as a 5th year Sr with a year of the offense under his belt.

no. he redshirted with russell in 2003.