PDA

View Full Version : Dear College Football

Scott D
1/3/2007, 12:29 PM
Here are some quality ideas for you idiots who run the show.

1. Start the season later. Nobody wants to play in the beginning of September, and certainly not at the end of August.

2. Let teams have more than one bye week during the season, and force teams to space them out. Nothing worse than seeing a team (not so much anymore) have two byes in the span of 3 weeks. Then again, that team is usually named USC.

3. Don't have teams off for over a month and then expect them to pick up right where they left off. Common sense dictates that bowl games would be better if teams had no more than two weeks off after the end of the season before bowls.

4. Force more consolidation in the top tier. Easiest way to make believe there is a playoff would be for everyone to have CCG's and send basically CCG winners and losers to varying bowls, with a few at large teams from around the country.

5. Kick the Big-10 Commissioner in the head for refusing to let his schools play a regular season game after Thanksgiving. That by far is probably the stupidest decision that goes in in College Football. Sure Michigan embarrassed itself against USC...killing their argument for a rematch. But, they weren't helped by the fact that Florida played 2-3 games AFTER their schedule was done. That rule by the Big-10 will eventually bite an undefeated team in the ***.

southern sooner
1/3/2007, 12:35 PM
#1 - start plaaying in late March early April cause I cant wait till august.... play 30 games a year.... just my opinion (joking of course, well a little serious)...

Partial Qualifier
1/3/2007, 12:41 PM
6. School presidents should give an explanation for their inexplicable stance on stretching the college football regular season into the 2nd semester.

That's always their default answer why the season can't be longer... "we can't stretch the season into the 2nd semester"... why not? I'd love to hear some reasoning behind their stance, even if it was made up.

SelmaBamaFan
1/3/2007, 12:43 PM
Nice Post Scott, I agree completely. Spek!

OklahomaTuba
1/3/2007, 12:44 PM
Having two bowls games in the same stadium is LAME. Stop it.

And, Make the BCS a play-off by letting the top 4 teams play-off instead of just the top two.

picasso
1/3/2007, 12:46 PM
you've got to have the bowl games around new year. wouldn't be the same without.
only solution would be to start the season a few weeks later and perhaps add more conference games and or eliminate the conference championship game.

I don't quite get it but our program has gone from "give 'em a few weeks to prepare and they'll shut you down" to the opposite.

deweydw
1/3/2007, 01:28 PM
Yes, start the season later. Funny thing though, I went to ncaafootball.com and at the top of the page it states "Where every game counts" O.k... If there was a playoff system in place. Then that would be a complete statement. I say have a playoff with all conference winners, runner ups and top two indies. That's at least 24 teams. So there would be a three to four week play off. With the NC game after New Years. Some of the playoff games would be in the bowls. And if they want, they can have other bowl games with the have nots. IMO, 32 bowl games with 64 teams. Just too many. With a month off, some teams tend to over prepare and get off thier game. Just my opinion. Oh, by the way this is a great site. I have enjoyed reading these forums. BOOMER SOONER!!!

TUSooner
1/3/2007, 01:44 PM
Get rid of the rule that says you can be tackled by the field or yourself or a teammate or air. IOW, apply the NFL tackling rule requiring contact with an opposing player. (That's my brother's idea, but I really like it.)

TUSooner
1/3/2007, 01:46 PM
3. Don't have teams off for over a month and then expect them to pick up right where they left off. Common sense dictates that bowl games would be better if teams had no more than two weeks off after the end of the season before bowls.
5. Kick the Big-10 Commissioner in the head for refusing to let his schools play a regular season game after Thanksgiving. That by far is probably the stupidest decision that goes in in College Football. Sure Michigan embarrassed itself against USC...killing their argument for a rematch. But, they weren't helped by the fact that Florida played 2-3 games AFTER their schedule was done. That rule by the Big-10 will eventually bite an undefeated team in the ***.

YEAH - WE ANT MORE GAMES BETWEEN THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS !! There's a nasty CFB dead zone in there.

OUinFLA
1/3/2007, 01:48 PM
bowl games are still about the $$$
Today's report out of Tampa: Outback bowl estimated to have had a $40 million benefit to local biz. That's alot of bucks for most restaurants, hotels, attractions, taxi drivers, etc. for one weekend.
No wonder some town like Durant wants to have the Peanut Capital Bowl and invite anyone who will bring 40K + fans.

Of course Im joking about Durant, but pick any city with a facility and they want a bowl. It means big $$$

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/3/2007, 01:58 PM
Get rid of the rule that says you can be tackled by the field or yourself or a teammate or air. IOW, apply the NFL tackling rule requiring contact with an opposing player. (That's my brother's idea, but I really like it.)

kejuan is that you?

Widescreen
1/3/2007, 02:04 PM
kejuan is that you?
:D

dougsooner
1/3/2007, 02:05 PM
Change the "start the clock" when the ball is set rule back to the way it was. Shorter games so we can see more commercials is stupid. Oh, and don't let the pac10 review any plays from now on....

SoonerMom2
1/3/2007, 02:29 PM
How about talking officiating away from conferences and having officials assigned by the NCAA and no replay official in the booth can come from either conference playing especially if it is Big 10 who very seldom overturns obviously bad calls or the PAC 10 who we know is bad.

Clock rule is dumb and all it has done is increase commercials -- poster above is right. Way too many commercials too that allow a smaller, slower team to get their breath or is that exactly what they wanted in BCS Bowl games.

If these officials in the bowls are the best of the best, then officiating is in real problems. The one from the Big 10 that did our game has done in various teams in the Big 10 for years, and he is considered one of the best? Give me a break -- he should have retired a long time ago. I have heard from people I know back in Ohio that the only reason the Big 10 went to replay was to validate their bad calls on the field by the Big 10 refs.

BIG_IKE
1/3/2007, 02:35 PM
Here is a thought......

Go back to how the BCS was before except designate two Bowls and #3 vs #2 and the other as # 1 vs. #4....

Have those game splayed on New Years Day like they should be...

then ONE WEEK LATER....

let the winners of the two bowls play in the BCS National Championship.
I mean....the BCS Championship is already a week after New Years anyway...

So make it something like the Rose and Sugar Bowl Winners or whatever meet one week later for all the marbles. That would work and would not change anything drastically at all right??

Scott D
1/3/2007, 02:39 PM
oh I forgot, STANDARDIZE instant replay. The Big-12 and Pac-10 have ****ty instant replay compared to even the MAC...yes..midmajor conferences have better instant replay setups compared to us. Em-baras-sing.

Collier11
1/3/2007, 02:43 PM

1. Start the season later. Nobody wants to play in the beginning of September, and certainly not at the end of August.

2. Let teams have more than one bye week during the season, and force teams to space them out. Nothing worse than seeing a team (not so much anymore) have two byes in the span of 3 weeks. Then again, that team is usually named USC.

4. Force more consolidation in the top tier. Easiest way to make believe there is a playoff would be for everyone to have CCG's and send basically CCG winners and losers to varying bowls, with a few at large teams from around the country.

All good IMO except you need to add the NFL instant replay, change the clock rules and I dont like #1 and #2. I like the early start but thats as a fan, and I dont like having more than one bye week, what is your reasoning for that??? Good job though!!!

Collier11
1/3/2007, 02:45 PM
I didnt look at your last post about instant replay, my bad

leavingthezoo
1/3/2007, 02:46 PM
KILL THE HORSEPIGS!

i know that's not a total college football problem but seriously...

KILL 'EM! KILL 'EM NOW!

1stTimeCaller
1/3/2007, 03:04 PM
I had no idea that there were bye weeks in college football.

Scott D
1/3/2007, 04:06 PM
All good IMO except you need to add the NFL instant replay, change the clock rules and I dont like #1 and #2. I like the early start but thats as a fan, and I dont like having more than one bye week, what is your reasoning for that??? Good job though!!!

Start season two weeks later, Two byes = regular season ending first/second week of December. CCG ends up being week before X-mas. No more than two weeks between CCG's and Jan 1 bowl games.

Scott D
1/3/2007, 04:07 PM
I had no idea that there were bye weeks in college football.

But yet we have threads mocking Bye State's coach every season :D

OSUAggie
1/3/2007, 04:08 PM
Bye weeks suck.

Collier11
1/3/2007, 04:10 PM
Bye weeks suck.

Is that cus poke state hasnt beaten bye in several years:D

Scott D
1/3/2007, 04:12 PM
Bye weeks suck.

a player who needs a week off late in the season because of the pounding his body is taking (for you ie...Bobby Reid) would likely disagree with you to an extent.

OSUAggie
1/3/2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, but do you?

Scott D
1/3/2007, 04:45 PM
Yes, but do you?

Have an issue with byes? no, I don't. However, I don't think everyone needs to take them at the same time, however I think more teams than you think would appreciate a break late in the year, and the one in the early middle area wouldn't hurt either, especially if you have a top team making an adjustment.

Collier11
1/3/2007, 04:47 PM
The problem with byes is if a team gets on a roll and then has to take a break. Its good for injuries and if you are playing bad, but it sometimes hurts momentum. Did you see that next year we dont have one bye that I saw

OSUAggie
1/3/2007, 05:02 PM
You'll probably get a bye on the 27th of October after that game is moved to a later date.

Mjcpr
1/3/2007, 05:22 PM
You'll probably get a bye on the 27th of October after that game is moved to a later date.

So that'll be two....October 27th and whatever the Saturday after Thanksgiving is.

soonerloyal
1/3/2007, 05:24 PM
6. Referring back to #4: Someone send Notre Dame a telegram: Just because you are are the University of Baby Jesus's Mama...that doesn't excuse you from getting in the trenches, rubbing elbows with the rest of the common man. You should be required to join a conference if you wanna play for real trophies.

Even God expected His son to surround himself with Everyman - what makes you think you're exempt?

So there.

OSUAggie
1/3/2007, 05:26 PM
So that'll be two....October 27th and whatever the Saturday after Thanksgiving is.

:D hope not, but the way we've played down there 3 out of the last 4 times i guess pretty much

1stTimeCaller
1/3/2007, 05:29 PM
:D hope not, but the way we've played down there 3 out of the last 40 times i guess pretty much
heh

OSUAggie
1/3/2007, 05:32 PM
^^^ that would mean that OSU is 37-3 in Norman the last 40 games...?

OUFAN29
1/3/2007, 05:38 PM
I would change the replay system as follows:

Adopt the NHL way of reviewing. They have all goal reviews in Montreal. The NCAA could hire lets say 30 unbias officials, have them in one "center" (Like a NOC) and have all feeds sent directly there. If any call needs to be reviewed, The "Center" would make the ruling and not a local official. That would remove the excuse of only seeing a play from one angle, blah, blah, blah. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Scott D
1/3/2007, 05:41 PM
actually, it's the league offices in Toronto. But no need to argue semantics :)

OUFAN29
1/3/2007, 05:43 PM
actually, it's the league offices in Toronto. But no need to argue semantics :)

I thought they reviewed in Montreal but eh, I follow two teams below the Canadian border. GO CANES!!!

OSUAggie
1/3/2007, 05:45 PM
Who?

Scott D
1/3/2007, 05:45 PM
I thought they reviewed in Montreal but eh, I follow two teams below the Canadian border. GO CANES!!!

newp in Toronto. During one of the intermissions of a Wings game recently, Fox Sports Detroit ran a thing on the whole review process. It's pretty interesting.

OUFAN29
1/3/2007, 05:46 PM
Who?

The Defending Stanley Cup Champions Carolina Hurricanes

soonerrn
1/3/2007, 05:47 PM
Hey out there, I know this may seem almost redundant, but aren't finals given early December?? The powers that be might want want them to actually study and ummmm Graduate! :D

OUFAN29
1/3/2007, 05:47 PM
newp in Toronto. During one of the intermissions of a Wings game recently, Fox Sports Detroit ran a thing on the whole review process. It's pretty interesting.

Stand corrected :O

Scott D
1/3/2007, 05:55 PM
Hey out there, I know this may seem almost redundant, but aren't finals given early December?? The powers that be might want want them to actually study and ummmm Graduate! :D

most schools won't be in CCG games that week :)

Collier11
1/3/2007, 07:43 PM
The Defending Stanley Cup Champions Carolina Hurricanes

WHO???

Sooner_Bob
1/3/2007, 07:50 PM
Excellent ideas Scott and others . . . a month off to "prepare" for a bowl game isn't what it used to be.

OUFAN29
1/3/2007, 09:15 PM
WHO???

nevermind. some of us follow more than just football:D

Collier11
1/3/2007, 11:18 PM
nevermind. some of us follow more than just football:D

I do too, I follow football, baseball, and cbb...are there any other REAL sports??

:D ;)

OUFAN29
1/3/2007, 11:37 PM
I do too, I follow football, baseball, and cbb...are there any other REAL sports??

:D ;)

Should try hockey.
OU is ranked 3rd 20-1 record.

I would take hockey over baseball and nba in a heartbeat

Collier11
1/3/2007, 11:42 PM
Should try hockey.
OU is ranked 3rd 20-1 record.

I would take hockey over baseball and nba in a heartbeat

Baseball is my sport other than cfb, im a huge stl cardinals fan. I used to follow the blues but im sort of a fair weather fan in hockey, ill watch the playoffs and I know who the hurricanes are, I was just given ya a hard time. Is OU a part of NCAA now or still a club team???

josh09
1/3/2007, 11:43 PM
I think college football should abolish Boise State and any team from Texas.

Just saying....

OUFAN29
1/4/2007, 12:00 AM
Baseball is my sport other than cfb, im a huge stl cardinals fan. I used to follow the blues but im sort of a fair weather fan in hockey, ill watch the playoffs and I know who the hurricanes are, I was just given ya a hard time. Is OU a part of NCAA now or still a club team???

Well for the hard time, maybe I should deduct points from the bowl picks:D

OU is now a part of the ACHA with the likes of Minnesota, Penn State, ASU.

I believe they are one step below NCAA but higher than club

Collier11
1/4/2007, 12:40 AM
so can they compete for the natl title or the so-called "frozen-four"???

Scott D
1/5/2007, 03:15 AM
Well for the hard time, maybe I should deduct points from the bowl picks:D

OU is now a part of the ACHA with the likes of Minnesota, Penn State, ASU.

I believe they are one step below NCAA but higher than club

nah, it's still club level. The posts by Chris Perry in the General Sports Forum are because of the hockey team. It'd take a lot of jumping through hoops to become a Division I program in Ice hockey, but hell Nebraska-Omaha's had one for about a decade now.

SoonerTerry
1/5/2007, 05:22 AM
6. Referring back to #4: Someone send Notre Dame a telegram: Just because you are are the University of Baby Jesus's Mama...that doesn't excuse you from getting in the trenches, rubbing elbows with the rest of the common man. You should be required to join a conference if you wanna play for real trophies.

Even God expected His son to surround himself with Everyman - what makes you think you're exempt?

So there.

<snif><snif> ...<tear runs down cheek>

Thats just beautifull man..:D
Love it

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/5/2007, 07:53 AM
Require players to complete 4 years of school after they graduate high school, this not including a prep school.

SoonerMachine
1/5/2007, 11:58 AM
I don't quite get it but our program has gone from "give 'em a few weeks to prepare and they'll shut you down" to the opposite.

...ain't that the truth. :(

proudsoonergal
1/5/2007, 12:16 PM
Seriously, why has that happened? I remember when Stoops was basically undefeated if he had more than one week to prepare (the lone exception being the Independence Bowl)....I think that started to go downhill at the CCG in 2003.

Pip
1/5/2007, 12:46 PM
Get rid of corporate bowl game names.. Fedex Orange Bowl, Nokia Sugar Bowl, MPC Computers, papajohns.com, Capital One

go back to traditional names... Orange, Sugar, Bluebonnet, Copper

Scott D
1/5/2007, 12:50 PM
Get rid of corporate bowl game names.. Fedex Orange Bowl, Nokia Sugar Bowl, MPC Computers, papajohns.com, Capital One

go back to traditional names... Orange, Sugar, Bluebonnet, Copper

with the amount of money those companies throw at the bowls for sponsorship rights, that is never going to happen. I'd expect Papajohns.com to just be Papa John's Bowl pretty soon though. Even Insight knows you don't need the .com on a bowl name.