PDA

View Full Version : U2: Zoo TV Live From Sidney

bri
1/3/2007, 12:08 AM
They're showing the Sidney show from the "classic" Zoo TV tour on VH1 Classic right now. I love the music...but the friggin' visuals are about to give me seizures. :eek:

william_brasky
1/3/2007, 03:43 AM
U2 really lost me during the Zoo TV days.

Xstnlsooner
1/3/2007, 08:43 AM
Yo, but have you seen the concert from Slade Castle in the UK?
Great dvd and great concert!!

picasso
1/3/2007, 10:21 AM
said station is showing their videos that make up the top 18 disc @ 4:30.

Zoo TV was out of the norm for them but still produced a few good songs.
I still like Stay, and their Night and Day remake from the Red Hot and Blue, Cole Porter AIDS album.

bri
1/3/2007, 10:24 AM
As twisted as it seems, U2 really didn't "lose" me until they stopped the Zoo-era electronic stuff and tried to go back to their old sound. Pop is the last one of their albums that I can listen to all the way through.

VH1 Classic is playing the video for The Time's "The Bird" right now. WIN. :D

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 10:39 AM
now wait, Zoo was essentially the Achtung Baby tour, no? i had some friends who went to the Mile High Stadium show and came back gaga like it was the greatest thing ever.

sooneron
1/3/2007, 10:42 AM
now wait, Zoo was essentially the Achtung Baby tour, no? i had some friends who went to the Mile High Stadium show and came back gaga like it was the greatest thing ever.
it twas...

bri
1/3/2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, Zoo TV was in support of Achtung, Baby. Bono created three different "personalities" for the tour, and they were all kind of annoying.

The thing I realized (or remembered) watching the show last night is that without The Edge, there is no U2. And also that Bono really isn't that great of a frontman, at least not on a stage that big.

picasso
1/3/2007, 10:55 AM
you don't think? Bono is pretty effin charismatic.
he's lost some of his voice but I think he's still a pretty good lead.

(insert U2 haters any second now):cool:

a small version of their stop in Milan, Italy, has been playing on Direct TV lately. he sings Miss Sarajevo and does the Pavarotti solo. pretty good stuff in my slanted opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcuudXTGwEE

bri
1/3/2007, 11:14 AM
No, I still think Bono is a good frontman, but Zoo TV was just too large a stage to hold, and he tried WAY too hard. There's a reason they've scaled back the venues and stage shows over the past couple of tours, which I think is a good idea. He's back to that 80's kind of form now.

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 11:54 AM
i liked U2 a lot up through Joshua tree and lost a lot of respect for them when (for some reason) Bono went on some kick around 87-88 about how they were "better than the Beatles" in every music mag there was. on and on. fine, that's cool.....but U2 was putting out a record every 3 years then and the Beatles cranked out Sgt. Peppers, MM Tour, and the White Album in 67-68. 8 album sides like that would take U2 about 10 years.

achtung baby has some cool tunes.....but, whatever. on and on: "we're better than the Beatles"....

sooneron
1/3/2007, 12:08 PM
Still one of the great live performances caught on video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sHnXOSxka1Q

picasso
1/3/2007, 12:09 PM
I thought that was Oasis?:D

I'm sure an older wiser Bono thinks differently now.
Speaking of that political rag Rolling Stone. They had an extensive interview with Bono a year or so ago and he rated the bands work. He was quite hard on nearly all of their albums.

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 12:12 PM
Still one of the great live performances caught on video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sHnXOSxka1Q

i prolly haven't head that song in 10 years and still know all the words.

Satellite of Love is a Lou Reed song, early stuff right after splitting VU.

i always liked Unforgettable fire.....espescially "Wire".

bono: prolly the worst haircut ever.

edit: imo: war is the record i like best. two hearts beat as one and some of the stuff you NEVER hear on the radio on side two is really great.

Scott D
1/3/2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah, Zoo TV was in support of Achtung, Baby. Bono created three different "personalities" for the tour, and they were all kind of annoying very much like him.

The thing I realized (or remembered) watching the show last night is that without The Edge, there is no U2. And also that Bono really isn't that great of a frontman, at least not on a stage that big.

fixed :D

Viking Kitten
1/3/2007, 01:00 PM
...but U2 was putting out a record every 3 years then and the Beatles cranked out Sgt. Peppers, MM Tour, and the White Album in 67-68. 8 album sides like that would take U2 about 10 years.

U2 gets bonus points for longevity. And they are still making music people want to hear, unlike a certain band that during the 90s put out crap like "Love is Strong" when people really just want to hear "Sympathy for the Devil."

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 01:13 PM
you mean, they make commercials people have to hear.

that, and half-time shows......errrr, i mean halftime pre-recorded spectaculars.

no bonus.

Viking Kitten
1/3/2007, 01:19 PM
Also, the Beatles had the benefit of all being on drugs. That's like performance-enhancing steroids for musicians.

bri
1/3/2007, 01:24 PM
Everyone says they're "bigger than the Beatles" at some point after they start racking up hits.

F*ck, Sir Paul probably got drunk enough at one point to blurt to a random reporter, "Wings is SO much better (hic!) than the Beatles! Are you gonna finish those chicken wings? Don't tell Linda..."

Scott D
1/3/2007, 01:32 PM
dude, the Rubber Ono Band was sooooo much bigger than the Beatles. You just don't understand.

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2007, 01:32 PM
<--Went to the ZooTV show at Texas Stadium in '92. Sugarcubes opened, PE was the middle act, and U2 headlined. Thought it was a great show, as it happens. Rates right up there for live shows I've seen.

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 01:33 PM
Everyone says they're "bigger than the Beatles" at some point after they start racking up hits.

F*ck, Sir Paul probably got drunk enough at one point to blurt to a random reporter, "Wings is SO much better (hic!) than the Beatles! Are you gonna finish those chicken wings? Don't tell Linda..."

not bigger, Bono said "better"....

and screw paulie....I'm a Lennon guy.

Viking Kitten
1/3/2007, 01:33 PM

Yeah, the Beatles just claimed to be bigger that Jesus. I guess everybody sets their own personal benchmark.

:les: I'M BIGGER THAN BRI!!!

bri
1/3/2007, 01:47 PM

People do tend to put on extra pounds over the holidays...:D

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah, the Beatles just claimed to be bigger that Jesus. I guess everybody sets their own personal benchmark.

you bought the WHAM! record/cassette.

and Bad English.

Viking Kitten
1/3/2007, 01:49 PM
People do tend to put on extra pounds over the holidays...:D

I gotta lay off the Guinness man. :D

Viking Kitten
1/3/2007, 01:50 PM
you bought the WHAM! record/cassette.

and Bad English.

Dude, I think you have me confused with PB4OU. Don't worry, happens all the time.

bri
1/3/2007, 02:14 PM
I gotta lay off the Guinness man. :D

And while you're at it, lay off laying on the Guinness man. It makes Czar jealous.

ZANG!!! :D

Viking Kitten
1/3/2007, 02:21 PM
C'mon Bri. Don't act like you don't know the Guinness man.

He lives on Drury Lane. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/bushtit/smilies/rimshot.gif

bri
1/3/2007, 02:34 PM
No, that's the Muffin man.

Or, as he used to be known, "half of the 2001 Sooner football two-deep". :D