PDA

View Full Version : Peterson what was our record with/without him?

BoogercountySooner
1/2/2007, 09:43 PM
We beat UAB, Mid Tenn, Washington and Iowa State with him. We lost to Texas, Boise St. and Oregon with the ref's help with him. We beat Texas Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, O-State, Texas A&m, Colorado and Baylor without him. We lost to noone without him.

Why is this? Are we to predictable? Does the line let up because they know Superman is in the backfield? Is the timing off becuse he is so fast to the hole?

Discuss!

Collier11
1/2/2007, 10:12 PM
I think in many ways Peterson could learn alot from Brown and Patrick about waiting for the holes to develop instead of running past them

BoogercountySooner
1/3/2007, 07:00 AM
I think in many ways Peterson could learn alot from Brown and Patrick about waiting for the holes to develop instead of running past them

Could be but we seem to play better without him!

TheUnnamedSooner
1/3/2007, 09:08 AM
All of those losses in no way was because AD was in the backfield. He ran for over 200 yards against Oregon and scored the only TD against tejas. Don't forget about the OT touchdown run agains BSU. He adds to the team, not take away from it.

Crimsontothecore
1/3/2007, 09:09 AM
Be careful guys. I was banned for merely suggesting that AD wasn't solely responsible for ALL of OU's success. Just know that you're treading on thin ice here when you dare to mention how well OU performed without him.

soonernation
1/3/2007, 09:11 AM
Could be but we seem to play better without him!

Keep in mind we went 13-1 in 2004 with AD in the line up all year. Our offense the last two years was completely centered on AD because our passing game was not so good. In 04 people had to respect JW as a passer which opened up the running game. In 05 and 06 NOBODY respected RB and PT's passing ability and stacked the line against us not giving AD the room he had in 04. With a proven QB in the system any team with AD can be unbelievable. That’s why I think he bolts for the NFL. If we had a veteran QB to go with the rest of our weapons for 07 AD comes back and wins the Heisman and possibly a National Title.

To say that OU is better without AD is just silly. If we had a veteran QB that was a proven passer in the system AD would be even more unbelievable than he was in 04.

BIG_IKE
1/3/2007, 09:34 AM
I don't care if I get negged or not...a few things here

#1- AD seems to rely on the big play instead of consistently running well. Boise St. and Texass pretty much shut him down. He had one long run on each that accounted for a bunch of his yards.

#2 Like it or not, despite the fact that most of you began AD worship in 2004..the fact remains, Patrick is more consistent in the backfield and makes better decisions.
Ad relies on his strength and runs like he does not need help and it makes him easy to key on. Patrick and even Gute use their blockers. Did you notice how the running game did not miss a beat when AD went down??

#3- Name a game we lost when he was NOT in the lineup...I can't think of one.

and whether we had a proven passer or not , who cares...when your All World running back averages 2 yards per carry during regulation....maybe you should not have stopped using what got you to the Fiesta Bowl in the 1st place. Give Allen Patrick his props and quit acting like AD Nazi's. The kid is great, but he is NOT the reason we got a BCS bid.

batonrougesooner
1/3/2007, 09:41 AM
We beat UAB, Mid Tenn, Washington and Iowa State with him. We lost to Texas, Boise St. and Oregon with the ref's help with him. We beat Texas Tech, Missouri, Nebraska, O-State, Texas A&m, Colorado and Baylor without him. We lost to noone without him.

Why is this? Are we to predictable? Does the line let up because they know Superman is in the backfield? Is the timing off becuse he is so fast to the hole?

Discuss!

Don't forget there wouldn't have even been a controversy in the Oregon game if Peterson didn't play in that game. He turned it on in the second half, allowing OU back into the game.

Texas was everyone's fault. Aside from the lateral, Peterson provided the bulk of the bright spots on offense that day.

BoogercountySooner
1/3/2007, 09:54 AM
I don't think he is personally responsible by any means but does it change the personality of our offense when he's in there. He's one heck of a back!

aurorasooner
1/3/2007, 10:02 AM
mho, is that our running game will be as good if not better without him, simply because KW is a ton better play caller with AD out of the game. I honestly don't worry about AD leaving with what I've seen from AP, CB, and what I've read about madu and murray, as well as our OL getting a year under their belt. (if schmitty doesn't take the off-season--off, like he did last year). no running back can do it on their own, just like great receivers make an average QB look all-world. hopefully KW will put some easy throws (and actually call them) in for our new QB, screens, flares, as well as the usual outs and posts.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2007, 10:06 AM
I understand the idea of the offense being predictable sometimes with AD in but the easiest way to sum it up would be to ask....

In 2007 would OU be a better team with....or without AD?

I think it is a no-brainer that we are better with him but I think some people are suggesting we MIGHT be better without him but won't make the assertion.

picasso
1/3/2007, 10:13 AM
AD wasn't the one who turned the ball over early or let the BSU offense score.:confused: :confused: :confused:
Patrick runs even more downhill than Adrian but let's not blame the slow offense on him.
We did miss Malcom and it's really hard for Adrian to get going without the forward pass.

I'm not sure how you can blame this loss on AD.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/3/2007, 10:15 AM
I remember some similar theories about JW, that we needed a change, a new qb will be great. Things aren't always greener on the other side

sooneron
We played better rushing D's with AD on the field...

With AD average rank - 51
Without AD - average rank - 65

The only two teams that shut us down in rushing this year were ranked in the top ten rushing D category.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamrushdef&site=org

You guys need to get a grip.

Crimsontothecore
I don't care if I get negged or not...a few things here

#1- AD seems to rely on the big play instead of consistently running well. Boise St. and Texass pretty much shut him down. He had one long run on each that accounted for a bunch of his yards.

#2 Like it or not, despite the fact that most of you began AD worship in 2004..the fact remains, Patrick is more consistent in the backfield and makes better decisions.
Ad relies on his strength and runs like he does not need help and it makes him easy to key on. Patrick and even Gute use their blockers. Did you notice how the running game did not miss a beat when AD went down??

#3- Name a game we lost when he was NOT in the lineup...I can't think of one.

and whether we had a proven passer or not , who cares...when your All World running back averages 2 yards per carry during regulation....maybe you should not have stopped using what got you to the Fiesta Bowl in the 1st place. Give Allen Patrick his props and quit acting like AD Nazi's. The kid is great, but he is NOT the reason we got a BCS bid.
From the Fiesta Bowl:
Peterson= 20 carries for 77 yards (3.85 ypc)
Patrick= 11 carries for 62 yards (5.63 ypc) he also had the longest run of 30 yards.

A couple of weeks ago I pointed out how well our running game performed without AD and I was beat down and told that it was because the O-line started playing better after AD got hurt. Hmmmm....so to all of you who held that opinion, answer this question;
Did the O-line just play better for Patrick's 11 carries during the Fiesta bowl?

sooneron
1/3/2007, 10:18 AM
From the Fiesta Bowl:
Patrick= 11 carries for 62 yards (5.63 ypc) he also had the longest run of 30 yards.

A couple of weeks ago I pointed out how well our running game performed without AD and I was beat down and told that it was because the O-line started playing better after AD got hurt. Hmmmm....so to all of you who held that opinion, answer this question;
Did the O-line just play better for Patrick's 11 carries during the Fiesta bowl?
So by your stats, he busted one run for 30 and if he hadn't, his YPC could be around 3.

TUSooner
1/3/2007, 10:22 AM
All of those losses in no way was because AD was in the backfield. He ran for over 200 yards against Oregon and scored the only TD against tejas. Don't forget about the OT touchdown run agains BSU. He adds to the team, not take away from it.
Excellent points. He pw3nd Whoregon in the 4th quarter. Could he have run smarter? Prob'ly. Did we rely on him too much? Maybe.

Crimsontothecore
1/3/2007, 10:23 AM
So by your stats, he busted one run for 30 and if he hadn't, his YPC could be around 3.
If you take away Patrick's 30 yard run he ends up at 10 carries for 32 yards (3.2 ypc)
And by that same reasoning if you take away Peterson's 25 yard run in overtime, he ends up at 19 carries for 52 yards (2.73 ypc)
So, your point is?????????

sooneron
1/3/2007, 10:25 AM
I see little to no difference. When you are shut down, you are shut down. Play calling was a big issue the other night.

MamaMia
1/3/2007, 10:27 AM
All of those losses in no way was because AD was in the backfield. He ran for over 200 yards against Oregon and scored the only TD against tejas. Don't forget about the OT touchdown run agains BSU. He adds to the team, not take away from it.Its not a good idea to concentrate heavily on any one player for most of a game because of predictability. You end up wasting too much time watching one player being stopped too many times.

One point maker doing well, does not always a win make. ;)

sooneron
1/3/2007, 10:32 AM
Its not a good idea to concentrate heavily on any one player for most of a game because of predictability. You end up wasting too much time watching one player being stopped too many times.

One point maker doing well, does not always a win make. ;)
That, and people hate facts.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/3/2007, 10:36 AM
Not knocking AP because I'd more the confortable with him being the man ext year but Patrick's big 30 yard run came on a play where AD was used as a decoy and the Boise defense bit big time. AD's big run came against a tired D no doubt but it was basicly just a stretch play to the left.

AP is definitely more of a downhill runner than AD. If anything the criticism that Alvarez made was that AD should have been used more on plays like the stretch play instead of up between the tackles and I tend to agree.

I want to go on record as saying overall I thought the play calling was fine. KW didn't tell PT to underthrow Kelly instead of leading him for the TD and he certainly didn't tell Joe Jon to drop that screen pass which had big play writted all over it. When we fell behind by 18 we had to put the ball in the air. I give Boise credit for playing us well up front but I think if we aren't in a double digit deficit from turnovers we are able to pound their D-line a lot more and there would have been more runs like AD's last run coming in the 3rd and 4th quarter instead of in OT.

sooneron
1/3/2007, 10:43 AM
Not knocking AP because I'd more the confortable with him being the man ext year but Patrick's big 30 yard run came on a play where AD was used as a decoy and the Boise defense bit big time. AD's big run came against a tired D no doubt but it was basicly just a stretch play to the left.

AP is definitely more of a downhill runner than AD. If anything the criticism that Alvarez made was that AD should have been used more on plays like the stretch play instead of up between the tackles and I tend to agree.

I want to go on record as saying overall I thought the play calling was fine. KW didn't tell PT to underthrow Kelly instead of leading him for the TD and he certainly didn't tell Joe Jon to drop that screen pass which had big play writted all over it. When we fell behind by 18 we had to put the ball in the air. I give Boise credit for playing us well up front but I think if we aren't in a double digit deficit from turnovers we are able to pound their D-line a lot more and there would have been more runs like AD's last run coming in the 3rd and 4th quarter instead of in OT.

Good points

Crimsontothecore
1/3/2007, 10:44 AM
Peterson was definitely what got us back in the game at Oregon. The only problem with using the Oregon game as an example to make the point that AD was the most valuable back is that Patrick only got ONE carry in that game.
It's a lot like saying Patrick is the better back because he had a 173 yards at A&M and AD got nothing. Too bad we never saw equal carries in a single game to make an accurate comparison.

MrKurt
1/3/2007, 10:46 AM
Patrick's big run was almost directly attributable to Peterson. They faked that end around and Patrick took off untouched. It wasn't so much a hole he ran through as an empty field. :)

picasso
1/3/2007, 10:47 AM
Peterson was definitely what got us back in the game at Oregon. The only problem with using the Oregon game as an example to make the point that AD was the most valuable back is that Patrick only got ONE carry in that game.
It's a lot like saying Patrick is the better back because he had a 173 yards at A&M and AD got nothing. Too bad we never saw equal carries in a single game to make an accurate comparison.
you might want to say no to drugs. that could help.

Crimsontothecore
1/3/2007, 10:54 AM
you might want to say no to drugs. that could help.
Wow, that's a pretty good response for someone who obviously has no valid argument.

NormanPride
1/3/2007, 10:58 AM
Wow, that's a pretty good response for someone who obviously has no valid argument.

Dude, AD was amazing. AD >>>>>>>> AP. There IS no argument. Now, whether or not our offense opened up a bit when AD was out, who knows. We'll see next year, huh? No choice about it, really. I hope we have a QB that can carry a game.

picasso
1/3/2007, 10:59 AM
pertaining to what exactly? there's a serious argument from your side which is the better back?
seriously? if so, I'll sit back and laugh some more in amazement.

Crimsontothecore
1/3/2007, 11:14 AM
I think it's time for this thread to come to an end. It's quickly spiraling downward with the same old arguments for why Peterson is the greatest back ever...just because.
He gets the credit for Patrick's success now....amazing. I seem to remember Patrick having some fantastic games during AD's absense, and it wasn't because AD was used as a "decoy" either..geez.:rolleyes:
I really don't see this as an argument over who is the better back, but rather who is the more effective back for whatever reason. I don't get why some of you refuse to give Patrick his due.

picasso
1/3/2007, 11:30 AM
I think it's time for this thread to come to an end. It's quickly spiraling downward with the same old arguments for why Peterson is the greatest back ever...just because.
He gets the credit for Patrick's success now....amazing. I seem to remember Patrick having some fantastic games during AD's absense, and it wasn't because AD was used as a "decoy" either..geez.:rolleyes:
I really don't see this as an argument over who is the better back, but rather who is the more effective back for whatever reason. I don't get why some of you refuse to give Patrick his due.
I have and enjoy watching him play. I also realize he saved our butts when AD went down. I also know we ran him into the ground against aTm, much like we would have with Peterson.
I don't think AD is the greatest thing ever but he's better than Allen Patrick. no argument, and if so, it's retarded.;)
and, if our offense seemed to click better without Peterson then it's the coaches fault. not AD's.
again, I think our offense played it's best against Oregon. play calling is what bogged us in the redzone late in that game. not Adrian Peterson.

Partial Qualifier
1/3/2007, 11:32 AM
Possibly unrelated to AD's performances, but I often wonder if they're really doing AD a favor by lining him up 10 yards behind the QB. Maybe that would explain why AP & CB seem to have holes & hit the holes faster, thus being a little more productive over the course of a game. I mean, sometimes, he's in another zip code back there.

Texas Golfer
1/3/2007, 11:58 AM
From the Fiesta Bowl:

On that 30 yard run by Patrick, did you see who was downfield blocking for him? Yes, it was AD. I have yet to see Patrick block for AD.

OUswagger
1/3/2007, 12:06 PM
remember that they are only doing what the offensive calls, like up the middle every other play. We were making the call before they ran the play, way too predictable!!! Good job to AD and AP

TUSooner
1/3/2007, 12:17 PM
In case it hasn't been mentioned: We gave up on the running game too soon! A few stuffs on runs up the middle does not mean the running game was "shut down". IMHO, the only one who shut down OUr running game was OU. And - IMHO - THAT is how we let BSu win the game

Now carry on.

MrKurt
1/3/2007, 12:26 PM
He gets the credit for Patrick's success now....amazing. I seem to remember Patrick having some fantastic games during AD's absense, and it wasn't because AD was used as a "decoy" either..geez. If you're going to compare their statistical performance in a single game, you need to take into account the types of plays that netted them their big runs. It's easy to throw out bull**** statistics to support weak positions, but intellectually dishonest.

Also, it's quite possible for Peterson to be the most talented OU player and *still* have the offense perform better when he's not around. You'd probably have a stronger case if you picked one of those positions and went with it.

crimson monkey
1/3/2007, 12:42 PM
In case it hasn't been mentioned: We gave up on the running game too soon! A few stuffs on runs up the middle does not mean the running game was "shut down". IMHO, the only one who shut down OUr running game was OU. And - IMHO - THAT is how we let BSu win the game

Now carry on.

In my opinion, this is right on. We could have and should have worn down their D by pounding on them. If we would have done that, they wouldn't have been standing in the 4th.

StuIsTheMan
1/3/2007, 01:02 PM
Well I for one feel almost blessed to have been able to root for him over the past 3 years (injuries aside) you all know we would be cursing this fine young athlete if he had gone anywhere but OU. He has giving us some of the best football playing and the high lights that we will be watching for years to come.
For anybody to be bashing this kid is Ridiculous. HE IS A STUD! No if's and or buts about it. Whether he plays on Saturdays (oh god pleases) or Sundays next year, he will continue to be a STUD. THANK YOU AD
And as for AP...Thank you as well...It can't be easy to sit second fiddle. When he got his shots he took them and played better than any of us could have hoped. It just goes to show how stacked we are in the back field.

Since I can not post new threads...I will take this opportunity to thank the Entire Sooner Football Team! They have given me one of the most memorable and exciting seasons in recent memory (-2000) Drama, suspense this season had it all from UAB to BSU. I have never been more proud of a Sooner team to come back from adversity like this season handed them and end up in a BCS bowl.
Again thank you, thank you, and thank you. And thank you fellow Sooner fans as well...the ones I met at the Fraudzen game were first class and can't wait to come home to Norman for the Miami game next year.
BOOMER SOONER!

LightningYellow
"Autzen Stadium: The place where Heisman hopes are dashed, undefeated seasons end, and great teams go do die."

CoffePeeYellow
"Fraudtzen Stadium: The place where the Heisman won’t ever come, we have never had an undefeated season, and great Ref's go to Lie."

fixed

msooner
1/3/2007, 01:16 PM

Discuss!

What Holes? The offensive line just wasn't cutting it!

BoogercountySooner
1/3/2007, 01:38 PM
I was an All-State guard back in the day when you make a hole for a back he has to be there at the right time. To early or late there appears to be no hole. I'm not saying that was the case hear but it could be.

Crimsontothecore
1/3/2007, 04:50 PM
If you're going to compare their statistical performance in a single game, you need to take into account the types of plays that netted them their big runs. It's easy to throw out bull**** statistics to support weak positions, but intellectually dishonest.

Also, it's quite possible for Peterson to be the most talented OU player and *still* have the offense perform better when he's not around. You'd probably have a stronger case if you picked one of those positions and went with it.
I can agree with you. My "case" has never been to slam AD. I never said he sucks. Amazing how simply giving Patrick credit is construed as insulting AD. My only point is that our running game, as a team, seems to be more effective or at least more consistent without him...for whatever reason. Maybe it is because defenses key too heavily on him.
I guess I look at what OU accomplishes as a team while some people are more focused on an Individual.