PDA

View Full Version : OU Should've Fired Switzer in 1984

Octavian
1/2/2007, 06:57 PM
Obviously, after the 1975 national title, Switzer lost his mojo.

'76: 9-2-1 (lost to Colorado, Oklahoma St. at home)

'77: 10-2 (lost to Texas, got blown out by Arkansas in the Orange Bowl with a NC on the line)

'78: 11-1 (lost to a lesser Nebraska team when ranked #1 with a NC on the line)

'79: 11-1 (lost a big game to Texas)

'80: 10-2 (lost another big game to Texas, at home against Stanford)

'81: 7-4-1 (lost a #1 vs. #2 showdown to USC, Texas, Nebraska)

'82: 8-4 (lost 2 out the first 3 games, lost to Nebraska, lost a bowl game to Arizona St.)

'83: 8-4 (lost to Ohio St., Texas, Nebraska, got shut out by Missouri)

'84: 9-2-1 (lost to Kanas when ranked #2, lost an Orange Bowl to Washington with a NC on the line)

Overrall: 83-22-2 (.775)

Pathetic.

Obviously Switzer had lost all his mojo after his '75 championship.

I have no clue why we kept him around for the 1985 season. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Sometimes (even at Oklahoma) your team doesn't win every single big game.

Players make plays...players make busts. It happens. They're 18-22 years old.

You don't throw away a good thing b/c you don't win it all every damn year.

Suck it up, reload, stick with Stoops and his staff....and we'll get another one.

Don't whine and moan so much that you make him wanna try his hand in the NFL....you'll be the same guy crying three years later about the new staff and how awful they are....whining about how we can't finish any better than 3rd in the Big XII South and how Stoops never would've let that happen.

But if you were around for that pathetic decade-long run between titles in the '70s and '80s, you were probably calling for Switzer's head at some time anyways....

How'd you like Gibbs, Schnelly, and Boo?

Tulsa_Fireman
1/2/2007, 07:00 PM
Preachin' to the choir, big man.

But PLEASE don't stop preachin'.

StormySooner-IN
1/2/2007, 07:01 PM
Preachin' to the choir, big man.

But PLEASE don't stop preachin'.
Agreed.

Rep points for Octvain

OKC-SLC
1/2/2007, 07:13 PM
I remind myself of that stretch often. It seems that everyone (fans, media, etc.) think that a coach has one era to be good, and once it's over they're 'washed up' or something.

Big Game Bob is no longer, for sure. But Big Game Bob will be again. He wants to win another national championship before he leaves, I think. I hope.

Widescreen
1/2/2007, 07:14 PM
Switzer was fine. It was Chuck Long that stunk.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2007, 07:17 PM
OU fired Mack Brown after 84. Then they were fine.;)

OKC-SLC
1/2/2007, 09:01 PM
heh.

spek.

bluedogok
1/2/2007, 09:03 PM
Some wanted him fired after 81, I was at OU in 82....and we thought those were the "losing seasons"......little did we know :eek:

Rocker
1/2/2007, 09:19 PM
Mack left to coach Tulane

AlbqSooner
1/2/2007, 09:22 PM
During that portion of the Switzer era there were bumper stickers in Oklahoma that said, "Bury Barry"

It is great to be a Sooner.

We have had it so great throughout the years that after watching one of the most exciting college football games I have ever seen last night; after seeing the Sooners overcome a season of ongoing adversity; after seeing a VERY young Sooner team grow up over the course of the season; after seeing this Sooner team put up a record of 11-3 (12-2); after watching this Sooner team face a team in last night's game that seemed absolutely destined to win; I still felt a little sick and a lot disappointed.

The fans of not too many programs get to experience that, and I am grateful that I am a fan of a team that gives me that opportunity. As much as it hurts, I am grateful.

Eielson
1/2/2007, 09:34 PM
Stoops is ridiculous. How could he lose a BCS Bowl Game in OT by 1 when he lost his starting quarterback and his other quarterback transfered the year before? Any team that takes a person that started the year's practice at WR and switched him to QB should win the Championship by at least 21.

Too me this was almost a rebuilding year with the losing of Bomar and Quinn. Looking at all the people coming back is getting me excited. We lost two great LBs but we have three great ones replacing them in Box, Reed, and Reynolds. We lost our quarterback, he is the main reason we lost to Boise State. We lost Pendleton, McCoy is looking like he could be one of the better defensive tackles OU has ever had. We'll probably lose our RB, we had a much better record without him and we've got Demarco Murray. If we replace our DEs and find an efficient quarterback I'm going to be thinking championship. We've still got our RBs, our WRs, a great TE, all but one of our linemen, two defensive tackles that were both #1 coming out of high school, several great LBs, and our whole defensive backfield eventhough that isn't all that important other than Reggie.

Whoever our QB is, he will have a handful of talented backs, an almost completely returning offensive line, some of OUs greatest WRs ever, and one hell of a defense.

And if nobody goes pro after their junior year we will have most of our great players back again such as Malcolm Kelly, Reggie Smith, Granger and McCoy, and all those LBs.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2007, 09:49 PM
I was joking with the Mack Brown comment. I know he left for Tulane. At least one poster understood that.

Seriously we didn't have the talent in the early 80's that we had in the late 70's. Especially on offense. We were trying to build an offense more based on Dupree and using him. Well Dupree left and we didn't have a back that good.

I think you can see similar things in this situation right now with Peterson missing almost half the games in his career because of injuries. We haven't really changed our offense without AD. I hope we open up the offense a bit more without AD.

MissouriSooner
1/2/2007, 09:56 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, we are in one of the golden eras of OU football. Stoops may not be the gambler he once was, but he can outcoach most guys in his sleep. He does need to make a few assistant coach tweaks or changes, but believe me, it don't get better than it is right now. I speak as someone who's been watching OU football since I came to school at OU in the Fall of '64. Success has spoiled us and made us forget how sorry some of those teams were beginning when Bud retired. Anyone remember Gomer Jones? His Dbacks couldn't cover a junior high team. Younger folks remember the Gibbs-Blake years the way I do some of those 60's and 70's teams. As I said, this is a golden era of OU football. Enjoy it.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2007, 09:59 PM
Now that I think about it, we should have fired Chuck Fairbanks and his staff before Barry even got the job!:D

7-4
6-4
7-4-1

Rocker
1/2/2007, 10:02 PM
I was joking with the Mack Brown comment. I know he left for Tulane. At least one poster understood that.

Seriously we didn't have the talent in the early 80's that we had in the late 70's. Especially on offense. We were trying to build an offense more based on Dupree and using him. Well Dupree left and we didn't have a back that good.

I think you can see similar things in this situation right now with Peterson missing almost half the games in his career because of injuries. We haven't really changed our offense without AD. I hope we open up the offense a bit more without AD.

I firgured you were but you never know sometimes

Oh btw its good thing we didn't have the internet back then.

can you imagine what people would have said about OU with that talent back then. and not winnning NC's every year

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2007, 10:06 PM
I don't think it's really not winning NCs for me. Because you aren't going to win those most years. On average since 1950 we've won 1 NC ever 8 years. I would just like to see better coached teams then I've seen in big games in recent years. We can't play this conservative. That's really the only gripe I have right now.

Collier11
1/2/2007, 10:16 PM
There is a difference between wanting better execution and being disappointed in the play-calling and thinking a coach needs to go. Unfortunately some OU fans dont know the difference, they just think that stoops needs to go because heaven forbid weve been to a BCS game 5 times in his 8 years, other than usc can anyone else say that. I know I know, he had the audacity to lose three of those game, but dont ya think puke state would give their sisters up for just ONE....well, they might give their sisters up anyways but you get my drift?

bluedogok
1/2/2007, 10:19 PM
Mack hasn't been but once and they want to put his name on the stadium already.
He may have already used up his soul on VY though :D

SoonerTerry
1/2/2007, 10:33 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Octavian again

GrapevineSooner
1/2/2007, 10:43 PM
During that portion of the Switzer era there were bumper stickers in Oklahoma that said, "Bury Barry"

It is great to be a Sooner.

We have had it so great throughout the years that after watching one of the most exciting college football games I have ever seen last night; after seeing the Sooners overcome a season of ongoing adversity; after seeing a VERY young Sooner team grow up over the course of the season; after seeing this Sooner team put up a record of 11-3 (12-2); after watching this Sooner team face a team in last night's game that seemed absolutely destined to win; I still felt a little sick and a lot disappointed.

The fans of not too many programs get to experience that, and I am grateful that I am a fan of a team that gives me that opportunity. As much as it hurts, I am grateful.

So I should hold off on selling "Shoot Stoops" bumper stickers?

RacerX
1/2/2007, 10:49 PM
Octavian,
After we moved to God's country, the first games I attended were during Switzer's "down" years (81-83). Geez the fans sucked serious ***. The guy had two NCs under his belt and they were giving him all kinds of **** from the stands.

Then I had the pleasure of being a sophomore at OU in 1985. HA!!!

I also had the pleasure of seeing Cecil with his bullhorn talking about buffalo burgers. Good times.

Fraggle145
1/2/2007, 11:33 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Octavian again.

MiccoMacey
1/2/2007, 11:53 PM
Mack hasn't been but once and they want to put his name on the stadium already.
He may have already used up his soul on VY though :D

He's been to two Rose Bowls and is 2-0. He beat Michigan in Jan 2005, and USC in Jan 2006.

Just sayin'.

bluedogok
1/3/2007, 12:26 AM
I was talking about the NCG and VY won both of those and is now gone........

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/3/2007, 01:38 AM
the NCG and VY won both of those........Huh?

Octavian
1/3/2007, 02:40 AM
Octavian,
After we moved to God's country, the first games I attended were during Switzer's "down" years (81-83). Geez the fans sucked serious ***. The guy had two NCs under his belt and they were giving him all kinds of **** from the stands.

Then I had the pleasure of being a sophomore at OU in 1985. HA!!!

I also had the pleasure of seeing Cecil with his bullhorn talking about buffalo burgers. Good times.

heh.

...and I bet those same people calling for his head in '83 now reverently refer to him as The King.

If we're stuck with some loser in 2010 or so, hoping we can land an Alamo Bowl spot and a few 4-star recruits....maybe all of Bob's conference titles and BCS appearances won't seem so bad after all.

BaSwitz
1/3/2007, 04:34 AM
nutz.

BaSwitz
1/3/2007, 04:37 AM
This thread starter.....SUCCS

snp
1/3/2007, 05:13 AM
Once again, Oct nails it. By far, one of the top thread starters.

And to quote myself about all the Stoop haters:

SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

cwood60
1/3/2007, 11:11 AM
Great post! Wish all theses 'Sooner' fans would figure it out and quit whinning. I'm sick of these people.

washington's fave
1/3/2007, 11:34 AM
The Sooner HATERS need to go the way of bandwagon fans! If winning each and every game were easy and accomplished simply with inventive play calling THE KING would have 15 undefeated seasons along with 15 National Championships!!! - turns out he didn't, but ended his career as "IMHO" the best college football of his era EVER!!! I truly believe STOOPS & Co. are very much in that same league and are leading the pack! I am upset my SOONERS lost but what heart they showed climbing back after everything that happened this year and especially all the mistakes they incurred during the game. They showed the true SOONER SPIRIT - never give up - play every play!! They game I never want to see again is the one where all those draft picks gave up before the game was over - I think everyone knows which BCS game this was. BTW - Stoops was also 2-0 in his first 2 BCS appearences before everyone starts hailing what a good job Mac has done!

SoonerFaninAZ
1/3/2007, 11:35 AM
'84: 9-2-1 (lost to Kanas when ranked #2, lost an Orange Bowl to Washington with a NC on the line)

And not to mention that loss to Washington was his seventh in the last nine against teams finishing in the Top 10.

Man, 2-7 against teams finishing in the top 10.

When will this team ever get a coach who can win the big games?

jrsooner
1/3/2007, 11:43 AM
'82: 8-4 (lost 2 out the first 3 games, lost to Nebraska, lost a bowl game to Arizona St.)Isn't losing to AZ state in '82 similar to losing to Boise State now? :)

Funky G
1/3/2007, 11:52 AM
Stoops gets a raise for winning in 2000 and bonuses every year for winning. What does he get for losing? National embarrassment, Internet heckling, and that's about it. I think he should refund me the amount of the ticket price.

This is a joke for all you crimson homer idiots.

Octavian
1/3/2007, 01:50 PM
This thread starter.....SUCCS

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/8931/cletus3rw0.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Eielson
1/3/2007, 09:53 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, we are in one of the golden eras of OU football. Stoops may not be the gambler he once was, but he can outcoach most guys in his sleep.

I thought that the Texas A&M fourth down going for it was a pretty big gamble.

Flying Scotsman
1/3/2007, 10:30 PM
Despite the occasional downers...Don't ALL programs aspire to be at Oklahoma's level? Don't all players wish to play for such a program at such a level? Don't players want to be in the national spotlight every week?

You woulda' thought that after Aggie beat the Tide that Aggie had just won a National Championship!! (Oooops, I'm sorry...they're still dreaming about winning a Boone's Farm championship....)

AzianSooner
1/3/2007, 10:47 PM
Out of last 5 BCS bowl games, we only won first 2 when Mike Stoops was still with OU and OU did play wonderful defense in the first 2 bcs bowl games.

We play good defense in Sugar Bowl and that is it. There is not very much outstanding defense anymore.

Stitch Face
1/3/2007, 10:53 PM
I don't think it's really not winning NCs for me. Because you aren't going to win those most years.

That's a bit of a statistical understatement...

Stitch Face
1/3/2007, 10:56 PM
Out of last 5 BCS bowl games, we only won first 2 when Mike Stoops was still with OU and OU did play wonderful defense in the first 2 bcs bowl games.

We play good defense in Sugar Bowl and that is it. There is not very much outstanding defense anymore.

Doesn't it kick azz to be fans where we get to gripe about our performance out of the last 5 BCS bowl games?

Not knockin' ya, AS, I just think that not many fan bases probably get to argue about their questionable performance in as many BCS appearances over such a short period of time.

AzianSooner
1/3/2007, 10:59 PM
I am not saying that play in in 5 BCS bowl games bad. I just wonder why the defense play calls and scheme going down.

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2007, 12:39 AM
I don't think it's the scheme that's the problem. We don't have stars on defense. We just have a lot of good players. I think the scheme isn't the problem. We aren't very physical in the secondary. Nic Harris is getting there but he's not consistent yet. And we don't have linebackers that can just stuff the run. And we don't have a great presence at the tackle spots.

Collier11
1/4/2007, 12:41 AM
Marcus, Lendy, Reggie, and Nic are stars in the making if they can just take that next step

LittleWingSooner
1/4/2007, 12:46 AM
But are they hard hitters and physical players? Outside of Nic I don't know about that with the other guys.

Collier11
1/4/2007, 12:49 AM
Reggie can hit like a big dawg, other than that not really...lendy a little

Rocker
1/4/2007, 05:44 AM
But are they hard hitters and physical players? Outside of Nic I don't know about that with the other guys.

You're joking right?

Just watch for Lendy to light it up next year.