PDA

View Full Version : If you'd told me at the beginning of the year we'd be 11-3...

soonerboy_odanorth
1/2/2007, 06:16 PM
with a Big XII Championship, and just barely lose a super-thriller BCS game, I'd have said we had one HECK of a year.

Now, being the "arrogant Sooners fan" that I am, I don't like it at all that the BCS game loss came at the hands of Boise "Who?" University. I would rather the loss have come to an Ohio State or Florida or USC etc.

But, Boise had their 1 in a 1000 shot and made the most of it. And you just cannot ignore that they have a darn good football team.

So... at the end of the day, well, we had a HECK of a year.

Good things will continue to come OUr way!

And in a way I take solace in the fact that we will continue to enjoy more championship opportunities than Boise could ever dream of. We settle the QB question next year and we're staring down the BCS again next year. Boise losing 22 seniors will struggle to finish in the top 3 of their conference, but will probably at least get to enjoy another "bowl game" on their home field. Sorry Boise, it's just the way it is. Your glory will fade... OUrs will shine on.

Boomer Sooner!

Texas Golfer
1/2/2007, 06:19 PM
In all three losses, we outgained our opponents.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/2/2007, 06:24 PM
In all three losses, we outgained our opponents.

...but blew some significant scoring opportunities and gave up some very untimely big plays in the d-secondary... both symptomatic of any young team in my mind.

I think we're looking at a hot team next year. Time will tell... but after the job Stoops did this year I'm pretty happy to put my trust in him.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2007, 06:27 PM
I'm happy about this year. Before the Bomar fiasco I thought it would be a 7 win season at best. But we were better then I thought on defense. I just don't like our future with this offensive philosophy. I hope it changes.

AimForCenterMass
1/2/2007, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=soonerboy_odanorth]Boise losing 22 seniors will struggle to finish in the top 3 of their conference, but will probably at least get to enjoy another "bowl game" on their home field. Sorry Boise, it's just the way it is. Your glory will fade... OUrs will shine on.[QUOTE]

Petersen is the reason they dominated the WAC year in and year out. As long as Petersen is there, they will win. I wonder how long it takes for a BCS program to offer him seven figures a year. Petersen is a great coach.

bluedogok
1/2/2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I saw some BSU fans posting last year how they were happy that Hawkins went to CU as long as Petersen stayed at BSU.

I thought OU would end up the regular season around 8-4, get into the Big 12 CCG let alone win it, no way, get into a BCS game, yeah right. It was a great year for a good but not great team with alot of crap thrown at them this season. It still came down to kicking field goals instead of scoring touchdowns, they left too many points on the field this season.

soonermeteor
1/3/2007, 03:16 AM
Yeah, I saw some BSU fans posting last year how they were happy that Hawkins went to CU as long as Petersen stayed at BSU.

I thought OU would end up the regular season around 8-4, get into the Big 12 CCG let alone wint it, now way, get into a BCS game, yeah right. It was a great year for a good but not great team with alot of crap thrown at them this season. It still came down to kicking field goals instead of scoring touchdowns, they left too many points on the field this season.

Agree 100%. A good comparison to the Boise State game was aggie lite. Stick with me for a second.... they had the ball with a minute left and started to drive down the field. We put up a prevent defense. They just went with normal long pass plays which the prevent was supposed to prevent (duh) and we won. However, it was very risky and it could have very easily gone the other way with a pokie win. Thats exactly the same set up we had last night at the end of regulation and at the two point conversion. We set up prevent defense but Boise state is all about going right at your throat. They won because of it.

We have a VERY talented team of YOUNG players. We have at least the next two years (depending on recruiting after that) to pulls something off.

birddog
1/3/2007, 10:46 AM
i remember driving home and hearing the sports talk guys saying boobar was kicked off.

i calles all my friends and said. "well, this season's over. we don't have a qb besides some freshman that graduated from my h.s."

i never considered thompson would move. and i certainly never thought the coaches would have the onions to ask him to move, AGAIN!!.

i gotta say i am more than happy with how things came together. lots of young players got to experience what it takes to be a championship team and they'll be ready to do it again next year, and next year...

soonerlaw
1/3/2007, 10:56 AM
Thompson showed a lot of poise and kept us in every game. Even when he made mistakes, he always kept his composure and fought hard. I too wish we could win every game, but then again, a Big12 championship, a BCS appearance, an 11 win season, Whorns collapsing, USC not making it to the championship... not to mention every OU game this year was SO fun to watch or be at... its already making me excited for next season.

flopshotjoe99
1/3/2007, 11:28 AM
no offensive line & no QB to start the season, even though the BCS loss stings, never coulda dreamed the season would have turned out so well considering all the crap early on.

TUSooner
1/3/2007, 11:35 AM
If you'd have told me how the Fiesta Bowl would play out, I would have gone to the movies.

Texas Golfer
1/3/2007, 11:53 AM
If you'd have told me how the Fiesta Bowl would play out, I would have gone to the movies.

Not me. I would have wanted to see it....ONCE! I recorded the game but I'm going to record over it. I'm getting tired of ESPN showing it over and over and over.....