PDA

View Full Version : As active as I know some of you are

MamaMia
1/2/2007, 05:43 PM
How often, if ever, do you use your Disk Fragmenter?

SicEmBaylor
1/2/2007, 05:45 PM
If I fragmented my disk, how active could I possibly be?

Boomer.....
1/2/2007, 05:46 PM
About every 2-3 months. Really it's whenever I remember to do it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2007, 05:55 PM
"They" say it's a good idea to sweep 'em weekly.

picasso
1/2/2007, 05:56 PM
I did one a few months ago and haven't been able to play microsoft golf since then. it somehow jacked up my video card.

MamaMia
1/2/2007, 05:59 PM
About every 2-3 months. Really it's whenever I remember to do it.
I've done this a few times on my personal computer at home and didn't have any problem.

I'm thinking about fragmenting my computer at work for the first time because my Quick Books billing system is running so slow, but I'm afraid that I may lose some information. The system is so slow that I'm almost unable to function and I'm going to have to do something. :confused:

NormanPride
1/2/2007, 06:03 PM
A defrag would improve your data retrieval time I believe, but it's not going to speed up the way applications run, unless they use your hard drive consistently.

MamaMia
1/2/2007, 06:14 PM
A defrag would improve your data retrieval time I believe, but it's not going to speed up the way applications run, unless they use your hard drive consistently.Any speed I could get would be great, as long as I didn't lose any data. The computer is 8 years old. I had to put more space on it. I have a newer computer there that I'm thinking of transferring everything to, but it doesn't have as much space. I'm hoping, it being a newer computer, that it would run faster simply because its designed with newer components. The slowness of the computer that my Quick Books is on now is costing me well over an hour a day in wait time. Sometimes I even have to go in on whats suppose to be my day off just to play catch up.

Newbomb Turk
1/2/2007, 07:30 PM
Any speed I could get would be great, as long as I didn't lose any data. The computer is 8 years old. I had to put more space on it. I have a newer computer there that I'm thinking of transferring everything to, but it doesn't have as much space. I'm hoping, it being a newer computer, that it would run faster simply because its designed with newer components. The slowness of the computer that my Quick Books is on now is costing me well over an hour a day in wait time. Sometimes I even have to go in on whats suppose to be my day off just to play catch up.

if by "adding space" you added a hard drive, you could simply move that hard drive to your new computer, giving the new computer more space.

GottaHavePride
1/2/2007, 08:12 PM
I've got System Mechanic on my pc in Norman - it does all that stuff automatically once a week.

soonerboomer93
1/2/2007, 08:17 PM
I generally defragment once a month or so. If you haven't done it for a while, it will take a long time to do.

Quickbooks should let you perform a back up inside of it, then you can just restore the back up on the newer computer. You will probably see performance gains.

Also, on a lot of the newer name brand computers, they're a bunch of just crap installed, so that might be taking up space. Just be careful, because some of the manufacturers have moved to placing a backup on the computer and not issuing out a restore disk.

Vaevictis
1/2/2007, 08:47 PM
I usually just set up the windows scheduling tool to run a defrag once a during times when I expect to be away from the computer.

SoonerTerry
1/2/2007, 10:02 PM
I've got System Mechanic on my pc in Norman - it does all that stuff automatically once a week.

System Mechanic almost killed my OS. I had to go back to norton.