PDA

View Full Version : My Hat Is Off To Paul Thompson...

SleestakSooner
1/2/2007, 05:22 PM
and the rest of the outgoing seniors.

PT had a rough final game and from what I saw it was mostly due to missed blocks and having no time to look down the field, even when he was rolling out to pass.

It didn't help that his best receiver got knocked out of the game so early also :(

But he hung in there and in the second half showed us why once again we have had plenty of reason to be proud of him. Great comeback and great season!

To all you fools out there wanting to put blame on PT for the whole poor performance, watch the game again, keeping in mind this is a team sport.

King Crimson
1/2/2007, 05:26 PM
ENA, ENA.

sanantoniosooner
1/2/2007, 05:27 PM
To all you fools out there wanting to put blame on PT for the whole poor performance, watch the game again, keeping in mind this is a team sport.
When PT stepped off the field OU had the lead.

Petro-Sooner
1/2/2007, 05:29 PM
PT was a subpar QB at best.

;)

GrapevineSooner
1/2/2007, 05:35 PM
PT helped get us to the Fiesta Bowl. His effort and dedication to this program cannot be questioned after the unselfish act he took last August.

So he gets a pass from me for last night's performance.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/2/2007, 05:38 PM
paul and OUr other seniors were gamers this year. they overcame the odds all season. my hat's off to them.

thanks, seniors!

Boomer.....
1/2/2007, 05:38 PM
He might not have had his best game, but down the stretch in the 4th quarter, he played great.

Texas Golfer
1/2/2007, 06:16 PM
Paul's four early turnovers really cost us the game, in my opinion. They put us in a hole that we had to spend the rest of the game trying to get out of.

Paul clearly had the worst game of his career. Unfortunately, being his last game as a Sooner, it will probably be his legacy at OU.

King Crimson
1/2/2007, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately, being his last game as a Sooner, it will probably be his legacy at OU.

i don't agree, PT was a great sooner. i don't see anyone coming out of last night's game tarnished. we are a top 10-15 team, and so is BSU.

that's what we are.

sanantoniosooner
1/2/2007, 06:33 PM
:mad:

Jack T.
1/2/2007, 06:36 PM
Paul's four early turnovers really cost us the game, in my opinion. They put us in a hole that we had to spend the rest of the game trying to get out of.

Paul clearly had the worst game of his career. Unfortunately, being his last game as a Sooner, it will probably be his legacy at OU.

Totally agree, except for the last sentence. It sounds funny for me to say he cost us the game. . .and at the same time say I'd be happy for him to play for us next year and am *extremely* grateful for having him this year.

He won the Don Key award, the highest honor a Sooner can get. . .I don't think (at least for Sooner fans) his legacy will be tarnished.

auto
1/2/2007, 06:45 PM
I was more disappointed in the TEAM coming out flat than PT's performance. PT's selfless attitude turned this team into a Big 12 Champion vs being a cellar dweller. He will be one of the most respected Sooners in my mind for a long time.

wishbonesooner
1/2/2007, 07:01 PM
What would have happened if PT had told Stoops no after the Bomar fiasco? He could have, and I wouldn't have blamed him. No way we would have been in a BCS game.

DustySooner
1/2/2007, 07:06 PM
Hats off to Paul for sure, but I take my hat off to the recievers, too. There weren't many dropped balls, they ran good routes for the most part, and when Malcolm Kelly couldn't play the others recievers stepped up and showed they can play some football just as good as anyone. Juaquin Iglesias is an agile little squirt isn't he? Can't wait to see the Kelly/Iglesias duo back next year. ;)

Wishboned
1/2/2007, 07:08 PM
Since Paul Thompson's arrival at OU he has been a leader. He has led by example by placing the team first and his personal needs second. When he lost the starting quarterback job he didn't sulk. He said what can I do to help the team.

He led on the field. His demeanor calmed the team down in tense situations. I don't believe I have ever seen him lose his composure. If it happens I'm certain it's a rare occasion.

Last night he made mistakes, but at the end of the game, at clutch time, he put his team in position to win. He marched the offense down the field to tie the game and he made it look easy.

Paul Thompson will never be known as one of the best quarterbacks at OU as far as skill is concerned, but I have no doubt he will be remembered as one of the best leaders ever to don the crimson and cream.

For Paul and the rest of the seniors I say thank you and congratulate them for a job well done, not just for this season, but for their careers.

OKC-SLC
1/2/2007, 07:23 PM
PT was an all time Sooner. He could have folded in the second half; he had admittedly made mistakes trying to do too much. But with a level head marched us down the field on his The Drive Part 2 to take the lead. Then has to get the 2-pt conversion on sheer moxie.

I love JW, and there is likely no better Sooner story than his. But in the GOWWDNS, JW folded. Different situation, I know. But think of how tough JW is--and therefore how tough PT must be.

Sooners absolutely need to support Paul in whatever endeavors his future holds.

Killerbees
1/2/2007, 07:39 PM
PT had a terrible game. A few bad passes that could have been TDs, 2 bad intercepts, another just bad luck intercept and a costly fumble.

But I wouldnt blame him for this loss. He got us down the field when it counted and tied the game. Our D could have not blown coverage early, Stoops could have went for 2 in OT or tried that 4th and 2 instead of going for the FG, etc etc. It was a team loss, not PTs.

badger
1/2/2007, 07:50 PM
the defense kept us in the game... pt led the last-second scoring drive... ad ran for 25 yards in ot to put us on top... can't we blame somebody?
http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics17/0/MA/MAJLYAMOTEXWUWZ.20050928200559.gif
dammit, horse pigs.

GottaHavePride
1/2/2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, PT was responsible for a few turnovers. However, without PT we would have been run out of the stadium and REALLY embarrassed.

Desert Sapper
1/2/2007, 08:28 PM
Here's to ENA performing at the combine and getting picked on the first day.

bluedogok
1/2/2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah, PT was responsible for a few turnovers. However, without PT we would have been run out of the stadium and REALLY embarrassed.
It does suck that his worst game is his last, but OU would NOT have been in that stadium without his play throughout the season. They probably would have been in Shreveport or San Antonio instead of a BCS game.

OKC-SLC
1/2/2007, 08:55 PM
exactly. he atoned for his mistakes, and as above--when he left the field, we were winning.

4th and 18 should be good.

sooneron
1/2/2007, 09:09 PM
Paul should ALWAYS be remembered for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfp9SiacVg

arcman46
1/2/2007, 09:18 PM
PT was a subpar QB at best.

;)
At least he was more of a team player than "that QB whose name is not to be uttered":D

lauderdalesooner
1/2/2007, 10:46 PM
PT's picture should be in the dictionary next to the words "leader" and "unselfish". He is the ultimate team player and made me very proud to be a Sooner this year.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/3/2007, 12:34 AM
I've been visiting various places on the internets (besides here) since last night's game and I am absolutely appalled (no pun intended) at the vitriol from so-called Sooner fans that has rained down on Paul.

No one on earth had more doubts about Paul than I. I happened to be in Oklahoma during the whole Idiot thing and when I heard Stoops announce that PT would be our quarterback, I groaned--and I have witnesses--oh crap, our season is doomed.

And PT proved me completely wrong. That young man stepped up to the plate and has shown more leadership and character than many men twice, three times his age. He could have refused the QB position but he did what would help the team most at quite possibly the expense of his own pro career. He led us to an undreamed-of record considering what we've gone through this year.

So when I read people bashing him for last night's loss I just get :mad: enough to explode! The whole TEAM was off--and no mistakes in that game will EVER negate what PT has done for the Sooners all season long, against all odds. You-know-who was clearly a selfish player and it's equally clear that PT put the team first and himself second.

I don't have kids but if I did I would be proud if they turned out like Paul. He will never get anything but props from me for his performance this year.

/rant over, I feel better now

SleestakSooner
1/3/2007, 02:47 PM

This was to be a positive thread to honor an outgoing senior not a "we lost all because of PT" rant!

lose the idea that one person was soley responsible for a team loss... it's as wrong as your choice in font sizes.

StuIsTheMan
1/3/2007, 02:55 PM
Here's to ENA performing at the combine and getting picked on the first day.

Not as a QB and very doubtful on the first round but who knows....

AND THIS MAKES 100 when does the cupie doll get here?

MyT Oklahoma
1/3/2007, 03:52 PM
I've been visiting various places on the internets (besides here) since last night's game and I am absolutely appalled (no pun intended) at the vitriol from so-called Sooner fans that has rained down on Paul.

No one on earth had more doubts about Paul than I. I happened to be in Oklahoma during the whole Idiot thing and when I heard Stoops announce that PT would be our quarterback, I groaned--and I have witnesses--oh crap, our season is doomed.

And PT proved me completely wrong. That young man stepped up to the plate and has shown more leadership and character than many men twice, three times his age. He could have refused the QB position but he did what would help the team most at quite possibly the expense of his own pro career. He led us to an undreamed-of record considering what we've gone through this year.

So when I read people bashing him for last night's loss I just get :mad: enough to explode! The whole TEAM was off--and no mistakes in that game will EVER negate what PT has done for the Sooners all season long, against all odds. You-know-who was clearly a selfish player and it's equally clear that PT put the team first and himself second.

I don't have kids but if I did I would be proud if they turned out like Paul. He will never get anything but props from me for his performance this year.

/rant over, I feel better now

Dittos! And it's about time someone said this.

I've been a Sooner fan since 1971 so I've seen a lot of good and bad OU football and there's been a heck of a lot more good than bad over those years. Having been in the OU locker room after the 1980 OU/Stanford game I can assure you that no one feels worse about a loss than the coaches and the players.

2006 was a heck of an exciting season that could have been much different but for the attitude and the character of our coaches and players. I sure don't regret taking my daughter to the Big 12 Championship game and freezing at Arrowhead in order to watch our Sooners win. That shared father/daughter OU moment in time was priceless.

I for one am proud that Paul Thompson chose to be a Sooner.

OUmillenium
1/3/2007, 03:58 PM
Paul Thompson got this team through some tough wins at Tex A&M, at OSU, from behind v. Tex Tech and won the Big 12 Championship with the 99 yard drive!!!!

Without him we might have been looking at a 500 or losing season this year.

Incredible guts and sacrifice on his part.

By the way, he brough us back late in the game with excellent passing and management (no penalties on his shoulders). He put us in a position to win just like he did at Oregon but our prevent defense could not get the job done. After the first 3 quarters, Paul was incredible.

I'm proud of the Sooners for their effort. If any blame needs to go around, send it to Venables for the 4th and 18 debacle. Credit Boise St for the trick play 2 pt conversion, that was awesome.

Desert Sapper
1/3/2007, 04:31 PM
Not as a QB and very doubtful on the first round but who knows....

Agreed. I say he goes first day (late second early third) as a WR. He's fast, he's tall, and he has some (limited) experience as a WR for OU. He's also a proven leader. Hines Ward proved that a good leader at QB can make a really good NFL receiver. There's only a very small number of QBs that can make it in the NFL. I think he will be an awesome WR.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/3/2007, 05:47 PM
What would have happened if PT had told Stoops no after the Bomar fiasco? He could have, and I wouldn't have blamed him. No way we would have been in a BCS game.

Without him we might have been looking at a 500 or losing season this year.

It does suck that his worst game is his last, but OU would NOT have been in that stadium without his play throughout the season. They probably would have been in Shreveport or San Antonio instead of a BCS game.

Character. Selflessness. Effort. Pride. Even heroic, given the circumstances. Give ENA the credit he deserves. And it's for those very things, the things that make him a great Sooner. One of the best in my book, a shining example of what a man should do when a part of something greater than he. Rise up. Become as great as that thing you are a part of when called upon to do so. For that, Paul Thompson is as great a quarterback that has ever graced Owen Memorial, and for that, in this house, he will always be.

But be realistic about it.

To write off the potential efforts of Halzle, Bradford, or even Big Mac, whoever would've earned the role, isn't being honest to the situation. What happened was a leader, an exemplary example of a man stepped up and took the reins of what had the makings of a trainwreck and did what needed to be done as he could make it happen. In that, he has earned the love of the Sooner faithful. The finished product, a successful season and a Big XII Championship, is the product of the entire Sooner squad and its coaches, refusing to let adversity be the footnote of the season because of one jackass. Thompson stepped up, yes he did. Amazingly so. But the end result is a product of EVERYONE'S hard work and dedication, not some magic laserbeams of success a fine young man from Leander, Texas shot out of his eyeballs.

fossil
1/3/2007, 07:49 PM
and the rest of the outgoing seniors.

PT had a rough final game and from what I saw it was mostly due to missed blocks and having no time to look down the field, even when he was rolling out to pass.

It didn't help that his best receiver got knocked out of the game so early also :(

But he hung in there and in the second half showed us why once again we have had plenty of reason to be proud of him. Great comeback and great season!

SS, I could not agree with you more. This kid is class all the way and I wish there was just some way we could show our appreciation. We can write all the positive things and express our great admiration on this board, but I'd love to be able to tell this kid in a more personal way how much we all appreciate him. If we wanted to express our appreciation in the form of a personal note or gift, where would we send it to be sure he actually got it?

Paul Thompson will forever occupy a place in my heart as one of the great stories of OU football and I will be forever grateful for the contributions he made to the great tradition that is OU football.

PAUL THOMPSON FOR KING!!!!

fossil
1/3/2007, 07:53 PM

Only in the opinion of fans like you. In my, and many other Sooner fan's minds, this kid stepped up and delivered when he didn't have to. He is a hero to me.

Stitch Face
1/3/2007, 08:23 PM

You're right! I personally think Boise State's win is all Boise State's fault!!! :mad:

Larry&Leisa
1/4/2007, 12:57 PM
One more perspective just posted on a Bronco board.....

http://mb14.scout.com/fboisestatefrm7.showMessage?topicID=30065.topic

Paul Thompson stayed at my hotel affording me the opportunity to meet and visit with him.

He was easy to spot wearing the OU # 12 printed on the back Grandpop Paul Thompson.

He is 75 yrs of age and has the handshake of a bear and a smile that can melt icebergs.

He shared with me the before the game his grandson their QB told him how seriously they were taking Boise State.

That the press was wrong in underestimating us. He continued to say how impressed the Sooners were with our tenactiy and ability to execute and make the plays we needed to make.

After the game I saw him at breakfast the next morning.

He told me he hoped we would meet again, he wanted to congradulate me and Boise State on our win. He asked that I post his congrats here on Bronco Country.

He told me of the talk he had with his grandson after the game. How his grandson was impressed with Boise, how we never gave up and just kept coming at them the entire game.

He also told me prior to the game that his grandson actualy beats Adrian Peterson in the football 40. To me that became apparent when Paul Thompson took off running.

What I learned from me meeting Paul Thompson Sr, class is a family tradition in the Thompson family starting with grandpop.

Hope you all enjoy this experience I brought back from Arizona and Happy New Years to all fellow Bronco boosters.

The_Red_Patriot
1/4/2007, 12:59 PM
PT--my favorite sooner of all time

footballfanatic
1/4/2007, 06:36 PM

I disagree. His legacy will be someone whom gave to the team. He was a real competitor, and he proved that you don't have to be enormously talented (or obnoxious) to be a winner. Good luck to him.