PDA

View Full Version : different thought... maybe

fadada1
1/2/2007, 02:25 PM
maybe some of you fall into this category. while i get nervous for bowl games, unless they are for the crystal ball, i don't feel NEAR the same nerves as i do for big12 games... especially the big 12 championship game. i'm a mess before the conference champ. game. A MESS!!!!

last night's game was more exciting than any of could've anticipated. while i do think we were outcoached, we fought back and made some unreal plays. i almost gave up in the 3rd quarter and called it a night... glad i didn't.

boise state threw everything at us (including the kitchen sink). the unfortunate thing from our standpoint is that most/all of those gag plays don't work if we play again. they hit the lottery last night with everything and should be commended. EVERY trick play they ran worked. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!

i laughed the entire 4th quarter. definitely one of the top 5 most exciting games i've seen. good for boise state. if there is a positive out of them winning (again, from our standpoint), this justifies even more the need for a playoff. they deserve a shot at ohio state.

BOOMER SOONER!!

JLMSOONER
1/2/2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know about the last sentence. If the Oregon game turned out the way it should have, we would have deserved a shot at Ohio State, but I'm glad we aren't playing them.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:50 PM
maybe some of you fall into this category. while i get nervous for bowl games, unless they are for the crystal ball, i don't feel NEAR the same nerves as i do for big12 games... especially the big 12 championship game. i'm a mess before the conference champ. game. A MESS!!!!

last night's game was more exciting than any of could've anticipated. while i do think we were outcoached, we fought back and made some unreal plays. i almost gave up in the 3rd quarter and called it a night... glad i didn't.

boise state threw everything at us (including the kitchen sink). the unfortunate thing from our standpoint is that most/all of those gag plays don't work if we play again. they hit the lottery last night with everything and should be commended. EVERY trick play they ran worked. EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!

i laughed the entire 4th quarter. definitely one of the top 5 most exciting games i've seen. good for boise state. if there is a positive out of them winning (again, from our standpoint), this justifies even more the need for a playoff. they deserve a shot at ohio state.

BOOMER SOONER!!

I'm with you on the nerves thing. But not EVERY trick play they tried worked. They tried to do that throw-back thing that didn't work. So, ya know...there's that. :D

The thing that I think would be different if we'd play them again is that there wouldn't be so many turnovers. And maybe Malcolm Kelly would be healthy. His absence hurt us more than all of the trick plays they threw at us.

sooneron
1/2/2007, 02:58 PM
Sorry fadada, I have to disagree on the title shot. They beat what? Stoops' 4th or 5th best team? We were a good team this year, but NO WAY are we a barometer for who deserves to play tosu. Hell, by narrowly defeating us, I say they definitely can't hang with tosu.

lexsooner
1/2/2007, 03:02 PM

BOOMER SOONER!!

Nice post. Sooner fans need to remember this was an excellent season. We won the Big XII title and 11 (actually 12) games in all. Nobody expected this before the season or until the last few weeks of the season. Props to Boise St. They wanted it more and deserved it. We got beat by a less talented but better prepared and more motivated team. We almost stole the game with the interception return, but Boise St. came fighting back and deservedly took it back from us. Disappointing, but nevertheless it was a great game and the end of a great season.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/2/2007, 03:21 PM
Sorry fadada, I have to disagree on the title shot. They beat what? Stoops' 4th or 5th best team? We were a good team this year, but NO WAY are we a barometer for who deserves to play tosu. Hell, by narrowly defeating us, I say they definitely can't hang with tosu.

Yeah, to be honest I don't think we (probably) would have been able to hang with tosu this year. It wouldn't have been a case like 04 when we were good enough and melted down, we just don't have all the pieces in place to beat the Buckeyes this year. We were definitely better this year than in 05 but we are nowhere near the level of 03 & 04 nor at the level we can be the next several years if we get good play from our next QB. In that regard the Oregon hose-job might have helped us. Other than meeting Notre Dame I was most happy to get the Boise St match-up and if we had played better early I think we could have won going away, but we didn't. We should have beat Boise and didn't but I didn't have illusions that we were a top 2-3 team, probably more around 10-12 where we will finish.

As far as being nervous. I was about as nervous for this game as any, more than most but not as much as the championship games. Certainly when a conference championship or a shot at the NC is still in play I can live and die with each play and I wasn't quite so nervous last year when we were playing Oregon with nothing more than winning a bowl game on the line.

I'd certainly rather do what we did in 00 but I would rather win a conference title and lose (even lose badly) in a BCS bowl game then finish as a runner-up or lower in the conference and then go beat some team in a Bowl game (even a BCS game).

So while some or many are going to remember this season as the year we lost to Boise St I still will have a much better memory of this year because we rallied to win a conference title.

I do agree that we were outcoached but I didn't think our coaching was bad, nor the reason that we lost the game. The hook and ladder was executed perfectly. It was less a boneheaded play than Boise stealing a little Sooner Magic. The statue of Liberty was brilliant. Without the turnovers we committed though we win pretty handily.

I still feel real good about next year. At least we aren't losing a ton of seniors like in 04. That was a lot tougher to deal with.