PDA

View Full Version : If Walker steps out of...

BOONE -r- SOONER
1/2/2007, 10:45 AM
bounds on the interception, we run the clock down and kick another field goal for the win. I am not saying he should have stepped out of bounds, but the way Hartley kicked the other 2 field goals, it would have been game over.

As my dad put it, that was an average to good OU team and Boise still had to pull out (and execute) all their trick plays to win. They would get clobbered by USC or Michigan.

reevie
1/2/2007, 10:49 AM
I thought of that as well last night. But how do you ask a kid to step out of bounce so we can play for a FG when he just caught a game winning TD interception?

And it would have been if our defense didn't over-pursue and tackle someone.

sooneron
1/2/2007, 10:51 AM
I was thinking the same thing LATE last night.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/2/2007, 10:52 AM
that would have taken an ungodly amount of football savvy. seriously, it would have been equal to the dan marino fake spike touchdown pass. as it was he made a great play and scored.

reevie
1/2/2007, 10:53 AM
that would have taken an ungodly amount of football savvy. seriously, it would have been equal to the dan marino fake spike touchdown pass. as it was he made a great play and scored.

And the time Magic rolled the ball down the court to kill the clock.

sanantoniosooner
1/2/2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah, scoring a sure 7 is usually a bad thing.;)

Lord hindsight is hilarious sometimes.

King Crimson
1/2/2007, 10:56 AM
i'm not losing any sleep over MW not making that play. you take the points when you get them.

Aries
1/2/2007, 10:56 AM
Occurred to me that would have worked out better. But if he'd stepped out of bounds and we'd missed the field goal, everyone would have been outraged that he didn't walk into the EZ with it.

sanantoniosooner
1/2/2007, 10:58 AM
Occurred to me that would have worked out better. But if he'd stepped out of bounds and we'd missed the field goal, everyone would have been outraged that he didn't walk into the EZ with it.
Confound you and your newfangled logic.

sooneron
1/2/2007, 11:01 AM
so true.

BOONE -r- SOONER
1/2/2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah, scoring a sure 7 is usually a bad thing.;)

Lord hindsight is hilarious sometimes.

Sorry my original post must have confused everybody. I didn't say he should have stepped out of bounds. I meant if his momentum had carried him out, or if he was tackled at the 10, it probably would have worked out better for us. It was a helluva play and should have been the game winner.

sanantoniosooner
1/2/2007, 11:09 AM
Sorry my original post must have confused everybody. I didn't say he should have stepped out of bounds. I meant if his momentum had carried him out, or if he was tackled at the 10, it probably would have worked out better for us. It was a helluva play and should have been the game winner.
Well, while we are making modifications, how about Chaney making the grab in the endzone so we don't settle for 3?;)

I get your point.

JLMSOONER
1/2/2007, 11:10 AM
I was thinking the same thing. But, I agree, you take the points when you can get them. Anytime you can get a freeby, go for it. If the offense had made a huge play and Kelly or AD was running down the sideline I sure wouldn't want them to step out. You never know what might happen. Hartley was spot on and I feel confident he would have chipped one in. However, you have confidence that if you put your team up 7 with a minute to go, your defense should be able to make some stops.

birddog
1/2/2007, 11:12 AM
so now we're trying not to get in the endzone?

i think walker was just trying to hold onto the damn ball.

i'll take an int. for a td and the lead with a minute left, i think.

i thought it was over after we took the lead. i should have taken a "stunned -birddog" pic for you yahoos after the ol' hook-n-ladder.

OhU1
1/2/2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah as it turns out a step out would have been better. An "unlucky" break ultimately in a bizzaro game. There were about a dozen ways the Sooners win that game at the end but BSU deserves credit for amazing execution and heart as do we.

tulsaoilerfan
1/2/2007, 07:25 PM
the game should have been over after that score; if we can't stop them from driving 70 plus yards in less than a minute, then we don't deserve the victory; Walker did the right thing by scoring

OK2LA
1/2/2007, 07:30 PM
the game should have been over after that score; if we can't stop them from driving 70 plus yards in less than a minute, then we don't deserve the victory; Walker did the right thing by scoring

I think it was 1:06 with 2 time outs. Considering that they returned the ball to the 25 - that's enough time to score for most teams - ESPECIALLY theirs. (at least get into f.g. range, but scoring the t.d. was an accomplishment in and of itself)

budbarrybob
1/3/2007, 12:47 AM
yeah, and if ENA didn't have a 3 INT 1 Fumble outing, if the def didn't have an oregonian last minute meltdown, if they had opened the dome up that night, if dan deirdorff had called the game and if i woulda ate HORMELL CHILI instead of Wolf Brand. any of these things woulda altered the outcome!

damn chili...

AimForCenterMass
1/3/2007, 01:00 AM
I mentioned the MW stepping out thing in an earlier thread. I just don't have the post count to start a thread. I don't think Boomer Sooner was saying he should've stepped out; only that if MW did step out, we would've likely won the game.

I still think we in OT if we win the toss. The Sooners just didn't have their Sooner Magic last night.

Collier11
1/3/2007, 02:31 AM
. Anytime you can get a freeby, go for it.

yeah, thats what we all want is a fat, cocky punter :rolleyes: ;) :D

soonermeteor
1/3/2007, 03:29 AM
That is an interesting idea. I know i told my friend after the pick 6 that I could not celebrate just yet because there was still a minute and some odd number of seconds on the clock. After the Oregon game I refuse to get excited until the "final" appears on the board, and obviously it worked out that way last night .:rolleyes:

picasso
1/3/2007, 10:17 AM
he's got to score on that play.

maybe if we don't let them score on 4th and 18 we win the game.;)