PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE PLEASE burn the prevent zone defense OU coaches

TripleOption14
1/2/2007, 06:51 AM
That has to be one of the worst defensive ideas EVER!!! Or at least for OU it is. Everytime they went to it this year it was a DISASTER!! OU had the game won and then went into its awful prevent and the rest is history. You just can't give a good QB all day to do whatever he wants. Rushing 3 and dropping 8 simply does not work for OU.

auto
1/2/2007, 07:28 AM
That has to be one of the worst defensive ideas EVER!!! Or at least for OU it is. Everytime they went to it this year it was a DISASTER!! OU had the game won and then went into its awful prevent and the rest is history. You just can't give a good QB all day to do whatever he wants. Rushing 3 and dropping 8 simply does not work for OU.

It does not work for anyone, it is the prevent to winning:(

TripleOption14
1/2/2007, 07:33 AM
It does not work for anyone, it is the prevent to winning:(

Ain't that the truth.

brown town sooner
1/2/2007, 11:28 AM
This is the smartest thread I've seen on here. The prevent is a TERRIBLE defensive strategy!!!! It almost never works...especially in a close, tight game. I don't understand why they quit rushing 5 on that 4th down. They just sacked Zabransky and had them on their heels. BRING THE FREAKIN' HEAT!!!!!! One more push...can we not dig deep and make it happen when the game is on the line?

OUmillenium
1/2/2007, 11:30 AM
Well said, same thing at Oregon occurred.

sooner518
1/2/2007, 11:30 AM
While I dont agree with many opinions regarding coaching strategy changes, I do agree with this. Zabransky had all day to pick us apart. That hook and latter play is all timing and by not forcing him to throw early, they were able to get the timing down perfectly.

MrKurt
1/2/2007, 11:37 AM
Wait, so, on a 4th and 18 play, what exact defense do you want OU to run? Which one's going to stop a perfectly executed trick play?

sooner518
1/2/2007, 11:39 AM
Wait, so, on a 4th and 18 play, what exact defense do you want OU to run? Which one's going to stop a perfectly executed trick play?
something to pressure the quarterback to screw up the timing of the play. that play aside, Zabransky had all day on the 36 yard pass 4 plays earlier. He sat back there and found the tight end (I think) with no Sooner within 15 yards of him.

Its just the whole mentality of playing not to lose that is bothersome

MrKurt
1/2/2007, 11:49 AM
He also got sacked 3 plays earlier, and was forced into 2 incomplete passes after that.

So 3 out of 5 plays the OU defense brought pressure, 1 of those 5 he hit a good pass, and the other was a well executed (and called) trick play. There are lots of things to bitch about, but the "prevent defense" just didn't happen.

TripleOption14
1/2/2007, 11:49 AM
It was 4th and 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do you give a pretty good QB like Zabransky all day to throw!?!?!?! For fvcks sake at least bring 1 guy in blitz!! But after i thought about this i know why the coaches did it. ALL YEAR long the D has bailed OU out of tight games because the QB's they were playing weren't able to connect on passes. And once they played a team that had a good QB and tried to do that same CRAP you see what happened. McGee, Reid, Taylor, Harrell etc etc are not very good passing QB's and they were able to get away with it. I don't know. I'm just confused and hurt.

MrKurt
1/2/2007, 11:55 AM
The pass completion wouldn't have gotten them a thing, it was a few yards short of a first down. The lateral is what made it work, and that's the type of thing that's impossible to defend when done well.

Coverage was exactly as it should have been. That play was the equivalent of an almost-but-not-quite stopped fake field goal or something.

TripleOption14
1/2/2007, 12:23 PM
The pass completion wouldn't have gotten them a thing, it was a few yards short of a first down. The lateral is what made it work, and that's the type of thing that's impossible to defend when done well.

Coverage was exactly as it should have been. That play was the equivalent of an almost-but-not-quite stopped fake field goal or something.

True. But OU had its rush 3 drop 8 coverage on and all that is is a zone prevent. Actually i think the defense is called quarters. But all any smart WR has to do is find a hole in the zone and sit down in it. If OU would have run its base 4-3 cover 2or3 D and sent some heat there is no way that play works. It was excuted to prefection but it was helped by the D OU was in.

MikeInNorman
1/2/2007, 12:45 PM
"Prevent" is one thing, but the hook was completely uncovered, two yards short of the first down. The receiver easily makes the first down no matter how quickly we get there. That's a failure of the defense, no matter how you look at it. The lateral was just the icing on the cake.

Every trick play run by Boise took advantage of our Texas-like tendancy to overpursue, as well the unfortunate fact that we can only put 3 guys on the field at any one time that are average or better in secondary coverage. This lack of coverage ability is exactly what Mike Gundy was talking about when he said he thought Aggy could exploit us with a five-wide set. It wasn't too tough for Boise to see it too: our starting free safety was weak in coverage all year, and the Nickel and Dime backs are undersized linebackers that are a liability in secondary coverage.

Widescreen
1/2/2007, 01:05 PM
...that's impossible to defend when done well.
You need to change your name to MrMiyagi.

NO CAN DEFEND!