PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts (sort of long)

AllAboutThe'O'
1/2/2007, 05:53 AM
Back from my friend's house (actually, have been back for a few hours but it took me a while to come down from the roller-coaster ride I experienced tonight).

First off, in-freakin-credible. Maybe the greatest college game I have ever seen, even though we came up short. It may have definitely been the most emotionally taxing game I've endured in a while. Not even the BCS title game losses in 2004 and 2005 had me riding an extreme roller-coaster of emotions as this game did. While I root for the Sooners, I also have followed Boise State since I saw them play in the Liberty Bowl a couple of years ago and was happy for the season they had coming into the Fiesta Bowl. But I was with OU all the way; I wanted the BSU dream season to come to a crashing end.

After the game, even in crushing defeat, I gave both teams a standing O. They laid it all out on the line for 60-minutes plus. If it had been any other team than OU, I would have gone nuts when Boise State did what it did to pull out the win. But while I was bummed out over the loss, I still was able to congratulate BSU on its hard-fought win and they proved that they belonged in the big-time.

Ironically, regarding the game-tying hook-and-lateral it was the second time in less than two months that I saw that play unfold before my eyes. The same play happened in the 4A state semifinal game between Poteau and Grove. Grove was trailing in the final seconds and faced a fourth-and-long and pulled off the exact same play BSU did, except the Ridgerunners didn't score; they scored the eventual game-winning touchdown on the following play.

I'm still proud of the Sooners for their effort and the season that they had. They were counted out countless times but they refused to listen to the critics. They had more stuff thrown at them than perhaps any other team in modern college football history, but they stayed together and persevered. And it resulted in a Big XII championship; with the possible exception of 2000, arguably the most satisfying Big XII championship in school history.

I refuse to criticize anybody on the team and I will continue to stay positive. The sun is coming up in a few hours and I'm going to reflect on one of the most satisfying seasons I've ever been a part of, even though we lost three* games. But they can't take the Big XII title away from us, and they can't take away the wins over A&M, OSU, Tech, Mizzou, etc.

Also, in closing, I found one silver lining. The last time we lost a bowl game on the final play, we bounced back the following year to win the national title. That's going to be my motivation all offseason.

Time for me to finally call it a night. I've got to be at work in about 12 hours.

Boomer Sooner.

arcman46
1/2/2007, 08:25 AM
I agree, I'm ready for spring ball and next fall to start. We will be loaded on offense even if Peterson doesn't come back. All we need is to find the right QB for the mix. that said, it's going to be a long 8 months.

soonerloyal
1/2/2007, 08:50 AM
I couldn't have said it better.

Except for the Poteau & Grove thing. I had no idea that happened.

Outfrickingstanding game overall. In spite of the loss, I'm smiling - and oddly content.

I guess eight months is enough time to finish painting the house, right? The office needs a final coat of Lowe's official Sooner Crimson/Marine Corps Red. I LOVE this room!

BOOMER! SOONER!