PDA

View Full Version : Post-Fiesta Thoughts on '06 and the Future

Octavian
1/2/2007, 03:33 AM
Just got back from the Fiesta Bowl...what an incredible game.....a true bowl classic for the ages.

After reading through a couple threads, people are reacting and overreacting about like I expected.

Now I'll be the first one to admit I'm as spoiled of a fan as the rest of you....we all are.

Calls for coaching changes, questioning our big-game abilities, doubting our schemes and philosophies....all fair game of course, but it's kneejerk stuff.

We're all hoping for instant gratification, but we forget about how up and down college football really is.

It took Joe Paterno 21 years for him and his staff to win a national title.

Tom Osborne and his? 23.

Mack? You get it.

Tonight's outcome certainly sucked...no doubt about it. I thought we came out way overconfident and then proceeded to giftwrap them points for the next 3 quarters.

In fact, this is probably the most arrogant our team and fanbase have been before a big game since the '78 Orange Bowl against Arkansas....

And just like then...we got burned....and we'll never live it down no matter what else happens. Gah.

I was far from happy with some of the coaching decisions tonight, particularly on offense. But we were far more talented than them to pin the loss on a couple of KW's calls. We should've beat that team blindfolded.

But that happens in sports...especially with student-athletes. Give Boise their credit but let's not forget how we got to where we are now.

This team and this coaching staff were forced to overcome more in 2006 than any other program in America....and they did.

In this decade, almost no other program in the country (including 11 in our conference) can say they've been to the places we've been, accomplished the things we have....and no one can say they've won as many games.

Stoops and his staff -if not devoured by unrealistic expecations -will put together another NC run and we'll win it. Maybe it won't happen every year....but it will happen again if they stay long enough. At the rate of 5 BCS appearances in 7 seasons, the law of averages will break our way again sometime for Stoops.

It's a good season when we get to change one of the counts on the pressbox.....and we did that in '06. There will forever be a Big XII trophy in the Switzer Center that reads "2006 Champions"

Say thanks to the seniors if you happen to bump into them....they had a good run at Oklahoma and played a big part in spoiling us.

Yeah, tonight didn't go our way....but we'll keep at it and we'll get it.

We're OU....we'll be back.

okieballin
1/2/2007, 03:39 AM
good post; good attitude.
everyone else cries "shoulda, coulda,woulda." truth is.....we didn't and they did. what a ride.

Seamus
1/2/2007, 04:38 AM
Great post. The blood-letters won't like it, but oh well ...

SoonerTerry
1/2/2007, 04:52 AM
Good post

Fraggle145
1/2/2007, 04:59 AM
good post, I too am anti-meltdown. Thy did great and we would beat BSU 9 times out of 10, this was just that 1 time. doesnt mean that I am not ridiculous drunk and dissappointed right now. Boomer.

iknowyoudidnt
1/2/2007, 05:13 AM
I dunno, I think this BSU team showed they could hang with this Sooner team quite well. I don't buy the 9 of 10 argument, I'd put it closer to 5/10, especially if they get us into a prevent defense during a close game. I don't think it's fair to discredit Boise State, they fought hard for this, played a great game, and deserve it.

Rogue
1/2/2007, 06:53 AM
Fire Octavian!
The World is Ending!
He's delusional and thinks we still have a good coach!
Octavian is dangerous and should be "treated" accordingly!

;)

wishbonesooner
1/2/2007, 07:25 AM
Me thinks some people don't care what the Sooners accomplished this season, they're more worried about the grief they'll catch around the water cooler Tues. morning at work.

recruiter
1/2/2007, 08:03 AM
Good post, man.

I keep going back to this thought: I don't think any of these seniors were asking Boise to run the ball in the third quarter so we can catch the redeye.

Great comeback from an absolutely horrible first half, including PT. We play an even average first half and Boise can't win, plain and simple.

As it was, if one guy stays home on 4th and 18 or in OT, we win. They didn't, and we didn't.

Classic game, but it isn't the end of the world. Time to grow a QB, get ready for life without Peterson and get prepared for next season.

OUinFLA
1/2/2007, 08:03 AM
Me thinks some people don't care what the Sooners accomplished this season, they're more worried about the grief they'll catch around the water cooler Tues. morning at work.

well, since I own the water cooler, Im taking it out for a few days.

otis
1/2/2007, 08:25 AM
as much as it kills me to say it. we got out played and maybe a little out coached. we didn't seem to want it as bad.

aero
1/2/2007, 09:01 AM
One of the most entertaining games I can remember for a long time. No, the sky is not falling. But honestly, what is BS doing staying on the field with us, let alone winning. Yeah, yeah, anybody can win on any given day but truth is would they have beat OSU? How about USC? Michigan? LSU? Go down the list. I give BSU all the credit for bringing it and outplaying and outcoaching us but we are talking about one of the premier teams in college football history against a team that has only been D1 for 11 years. We should have 2nd and 3rd team talent better than them. C'mon. I'm not calling for Stoops' head - hell, I would just as soon see him coach us till he retires. But something is amiss.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/2/2007, 09:35 AM

I don't think it could put any better.

We did win another conference title. It isn't a NC but we've got teams in our conference that haven't won a conf title in 40+ years.

It was a tough loss, but unless your name is Nick Zepp I don't see how you can think it was a bad year or that the program is somehow doomed.

A lot of those guys on the field last night have 2-3 more years in the program. How about the emergence of a 4th WR? It was a tough loss to an underrated team. Let's not make it like the football program is folding.

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2007, 09:37 AM
Here's a thought for the future, reaching back to every loss since 2002 - find someone in the secondary who can cover and tackle when the game is on the line.

sendbaht
1/2/2007, 09:59 AM
Right on Sir!

Flying Scotsman
1/2/2007, 10:08 AM
Good discussion!!

The sky is not falling....it was just one of those things in that happen in the span of a life time. Let's put in in perspective.

We have short memories.

Think about going 3-8, 4-7, & 5-6.

Think about how the season started.

Should we have really been in the Fiesta Bowl? Stuff happened to Texas that probabily shouldn't have...

The media blew this game out of proportion from a David and Golath perspective. We weren't even playing for a national championship.

It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for Boise State and they were only a point better on this night. They will fade back to obscurity in a with a statistically high degree of probability of never ever getting tis close to the national limelight.

If they were in the PAC-10, Big Ten, Mountain west, or even the Big 12, they would be a 3-4 loss team. However, on any day anything can happen. I am sure Oklahoma has won a few that they shouldn't have and lost a few that they shouldn't have....

I am a PROUD gradaute of the University of Okahoma and will forever be loyal Sooner!

(BTW, I used to sit in the stands for entire duration of home games during the Schnelly and Blake years)

Let's get back to reality and focus on next year and Let BSU enjoy their fleeting moment in the sun.

If Stoops and the Sooners have another run over the next 8 years they have had over the past 8 years -- We will have no complaints!!...and all the "little dogs" will still be envious!!

BOOMER SOONER!!

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 10:15 AM
Well, it's all true and good and nice that we salvaged a Big XII championship out of a potentially disastrous season. It really is. Credit the character of Stoops and our players for that fine accomplishment.

But that doesn't change the fact that, this morning, all across the nation, the Big 12 Champs are the Fiesta Bowl Chumps. We went out into the national limelight and played the role of Goliath to darling little David in a game that will not go away for years and years. We were the ugly step-sisters in the Cinderalla story, the villains, the victims, the patsies, the fools, the suckers, the stepping stones. We laid another egg in the big spotlight on the big stage. We came out looking like fools, giving up an easy TD bomb, then we give them a 5-yard field, then we slack off just before half time to give them another TD, then we throw them another gift TD after half-time. The loss was due to 55 minutes of horrible football, especially on offense. We were uninspired and unintelligent. Then, because we do have great chcarter, the overtime unfortunately made an otherwise embarrassing loss "unforgettable." And to some fans, it masked the underlying problem of WTF happened in the previous 55 minutes.

Sure, the loss and national embarrassment did not erase a season of accomplishment, but it has overshadowed it, and it's just gonna take a long time for that sting to go away.

So I think it's entirely fair for Sooner fans to ask why, with all our character and talent, we got outplayed and outsmarted in our latest "big game."

EDIT: That's a crappy way to start the day, but I guess I had to vent some more. The noob scot's post has some good stuff in it, but this one just hurts. The end.

starrca23
1/2/2007, 10:34 AM
Game is on the line and M. Walker takes it to the house, that is pretty decent. It had to be hard on the secondary to cover for that long, you can't hang it all on them. To be a better than good (not gonna say great) team you have to get quick pressure with the front four.

tpatton
1/2/2007, 11:01 AM
Tough game to swallow, but a great game nonetheless. Give props to BSU.. they wanted it more than OU, and it showed. They left AZ with what they came for...the win and respect from the rest of the country. Forget the TO's and focus on the last few minutes of the game...that was where it was won or lost from every factor this message board can debate. Congratulations to you BSU. We are OU!...and we will be back!

otis
1/2/2007, 11:13 AM
bless his heart. walker gets beat in every game that i believe he's ever played in. he's good for an opposing td nearly every game. i am glad he made up for bs first touchdown by picking off that pass late.

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2007, 11:21 AM
Game is on the line and M. Walker takes it to the house, that is pretty decent. It had to be hard on the secondary to cover for that long, you can't hang it all on them. To be a better than good (not gonna say great) team you have to get quick pressure with the front four.

Yes, which is why after the Texas game I proposed firing Chris Wilson, moving BJW back to DE coach, and hiring a real secondary coach. It won't happen, but....

Wilson took a trio of senior DEs and they underperformed. BJW is as lost coaching the secondary as he was when he coached the 'Horn secondary in the 90s. On the flip side, BJW turned out some very productive DEs from 1999-2005 whether he was working with scholarship players or walk-ons. It was stupid to get an inconsistent pass rush all season from Ah You, Birdine, and Thibodeaux:

Ah You: 2005 - 7 sacks, 2006 - 4 sacks
Thibodeaux: 2005 - 10 sacks, 2006 - 1 sack
Birdine: 2004 (injured in 2005) - 7 sacks (as a non-starter), 2006 - 2.5 sacks

Pretty pathetic drop off from three senior after three excellent junior seasons. As juniors, these guys had 24 sacks combined, as seniors...7.5. Pathetic.

Scotty
1/2/2007, 11:30 AM
How about the emergence of a 4th WR? It was a tough loss to an underrated team.

It seemed like they were trying to go to Chaney an awful lot last night.

OUmillenium
1/2/2007, 11:45 AM
Painful loss but what an incredible game. Talk about peaks and valleys! I thought we had the game won 2 times - Walker int/td and Peterson's OT/td. But after BS scored in OT - I had a bad feeling.

I was frustrated with a lot of the playcalling but their were some great playcalls where the players did not execute(remember JJs drop).

I was also frustrated with our "prevent" defense which has totally sucked all year.

Big 12 Champs thanks to PT, Stoops, AP, and a lot of character.

Tough loss but exciting game. Lots of talent back for 2007.

soonersweetie
1/2/2007, 02:50 PM
Good post Octavian...However...it just sucks. Plain and simple, no other way to sugar coat it.

Yes we won the Big 12, and I am very proud of them for it, that's awesome. But, I'm tired of losing bowl games, specifically the last 3. I know, I know. I'm spoiled. We all are. I love Coach Stoops to death. He does a great job and I wouldn't want to be in his position for anything, it's a tough, thankless job. But the plays that I saw Boise State's coach calling last night, used to be Coach Stoops calling those plays. That's what is so upsetting. Why are we always sooo unprepared? We have the best coach in America, a very talneted team and we still lose. I just don't get it.

I am still proud to be a Sooner and hold my head up high. But it's hard, it's really hard today. Especially when you live out here in So Cal and have no one to console with. Just a bunch of usc fans, misplaced tx fans and for the most part people that hate the Big 12 in general.

Ok, now I have done my venting. Time for home improvement projects and all the stuff I put off all during the fall.

(btw, nice meeting you on Sat night with the other Sooner fans)

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/2/2007, 03:53 PM
Quarterback?
Next year?
Who?

Octavian
1/2/2007, 04:26 PM
Good post Octavian...However...it just sucks. Plain and simple, no other way to sugar coat it.

agreed.

We were on the big stage again and we bit the big one....again.

However, if you would've told me as I was walking down Midway after the RRS or after Adrian's injury was first announced....that we'd win the Big XII, complete the BCS circle, but come up short in an overtime thriller to finish the season 11-3....

No way would I have believed it.

Yep...it sucks. We lost a game we should've won. But the trajectory of the program is still high.

The most disappointing thing about any bowl loss is waiting 8 months to get the taste out of your mouth.

It was a classic case of Sooner Magic...and then we blew it.

(btw, nice meeting you on Sat night with the other Sooner fans)

you too ;)

Hope Mike's cursing didn't scar your kids for life

OSUAggie
1/2/2007, 04:38 PM
However, if you would've told me as I was walking down Midway after the RRS or after Adrian's injury was first announced....that we'd win the Big XII, complete the BCS circle, but come up short in an overtime thriller to finish the season 11-3....

I believe 6-6 was the prediction at one point...

SoonerMom2
1/2/2007, 04:38 PM
I think it was obvious that Malcolm Kelly was the MVP on this team. Without Kelly to throw to after his injury, PT had a hard time getting in a groove. Some of the passes I believe Kelly would have caught or made sure they were not intercepted. I think we missed Kelly more than anything.

Also think all the commercials hurt us as it gave BSU a chance to recover. The NCAA changed the clock rules for the game but have added more commercials and games are just as long if not longer. Most I have ever seen in a game and they were the same stupid commercials. Fox Sports should be ashamed not only of the length of commercials but the announcers were simply horrible in the game and explained almost nothing preferring to talk about the players of BSU. I have always found Fox Sports annoying in college football but the game last night and the announcers stunk IMHO. Marty belongs in baseball not in football. When the one guy kept talking about our running backs running over the trash, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

NCAA needs to make replay consistent throughout the conferences or do away with it period. There were plays last night that should have been reviewed with the bad spots. Just like they said the BSU guy's knee was down and he couldn't fumble BUT his knee was down back of the 5 yard line not up where they marked it. Spots were terrible and if the replay group was reviewing every play you could have fooled me.

Still don't understand how you can miss 12 guys in the huddle and one running off the field. What is the moron in the backfield's job if not to insure that only 11 guys are in the huddle and no one runs off? How can you miss something so simple?