PDA

View Full Version : I'm Effin Proud of This Sooner Squad.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:07 AM
They overcame a lot this year. I'm disappointed that we lost the BCS game, but I'm not taking it as hard as most of you seem to be, probably for a few reasons:

1) I think Boise State is a dang good team so I don't feel like we got humiliated, our coaches suck or that our players didn't give it their all
2) I like the way we played hard and didn't give up
3) To me this bowl game was what bowl games are supposed to be: a reward for a great season. I was not looking at this bowl game as another opportunity for us to flex our muscles and show the world how by-God awesome we are. To me, our regular season success and Big XII Championship speak for themselves in that respect.

This team showed me a lot this year and I'm proud of them. The coaches, the players, all of them. No way am I going to bitch and moan about getting beat by a quality, albeit rather new, team in a BCS bowl game because this team made me proud this year.

XingTheRubicon
1/2/2007, 02:11 AM
It'll take most of us until Valentine's Day to agree, but it will happen.

I think

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:11 AM
I've always been a trend-setter. ;)

SoonerMom2
1/2/2007, 02:14 AM
This team showed me a lot this year and I'm proud of them. The coaches, the players, all of them. No way am I going to bitch and moan about getting beat by a quality, albeit rather new, team in a BCS bowl game because this team made me proud this year.

Well said! The outcome was not the way I would have liked but under the circumstances, I couldn't be prouder of these players and how they stuck together as a team. They are still Big 12 Champs!

BSU played a very good game tonight especially in the first half.

SoonerTerry
1/2/2007, 02:16 AM
I agree now, but my stomach feels like I swallowed a brick.

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 02:17 AM
Well, I'm proud of the 2006 work, but the 2007 stuff WAS humiliating and embarassing. :O So BSu is good, we still should have won, and that's the crap. They got glory at our expense. That takes a lot of the shine off the season.

Norm In Norman
1/2/2007, 02:21 AM
They overcame a lot this year. I'm disappointed that we lost the BCS game, but I'm not taking it as hard as most of you seem to be, probably for a few reasons:

1) I think Boise State is a dang good team so I don't feel like we got humiliated, our coaches suck or that our players didn't give it their all
3) To me this bowl game was what bowl games are supposed to be: a reward for a great season. I was not looking at this bowl game as another opportunity for us to flex our muscles and show the world how by-God awesome we are. To me, our regular season success and Big XII Championship speak for themselves in that respect.

Agreed. I mean, winning the game would have been nice BUT we had a better season than we thought we would (or at least I thought we would). We probably overachieved. It was a damn good game and either team could have won, so it's not like other bowl games that I won't mention. It's heart breaking but I accept it.

If it was an MNC game, I might not.

Sooner_Bob
1/2/2007, 02:24 AM

Excellent post.

Now if I could just go to sleep . . . :mad:

GrapevineSooner
1/2/2007, 02:26 AM
They certainly overachieved. I'll be ever grateful to each and every member of this team.

I just hope that if we find ourselves in the game for the whole marbles in about 373 days, we learn a thing or two from tonight's loss.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:26 AM
Well, I'm proud of the 2006 work, but the 2007 stuff WAS humiliating and embarassing. :O So BSu is good, we still should have won, and that's the crap.

If you mean we should have won because we were up by 7 and had them facing 4th and 18, then, yes, I agree. If you mean we should have won because we were far and away the better team then, *gasp* I disagree. Especially with Malcolm Kelly on the sidelines.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:27 AM
They certainly overachieved. I'll be ever grateful to each and every member of this team.

I just hope that if we find ourselves in the game for the whole marbles in about 373 days, we learn a thing or two from tonight's loss.

Do you mean "we" the team, or "we" the fans? ;)

hookem31
1/2/2007, 02:28 AM
I will say here what I said on our Longhorn board -

This game was the perfect storm. Can't give enough credit to both teams. The majority of people though Boise St. had no chance, but those kids played the game of their lives.

I have nothing bad to say about OU. Not one Sooner here (on our board) was puffing their chest before this game. They knew this wasn't gonna be a gimme and even though Boise came to play, they never quit.

And considering what they went through this year (losing a starting QB, getting screwed at UO, losing to us, Peterson's injury), they never gave up. They kept fighting.

I'm sorry to say that, in my eyes, there were times when we could have acted that way. But when adversity hit us at the end of the year, we didn't man up. And it cost us dearly.

OU still sucks, but I'm not gonna sit here and put them down just because I can. I'm always willing to give credit where it's due.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:31 AM
I'm always willing to give credit where it's due.

Thanks for stopping in and I'm sorry your team sucks, but you're right about this game. It was an incredible game. It was a gut-wrenching way to lose. My stomach hurts, my head hurts and I HAD to come here to vent, but man...what an incredible game. We made an incredible comeback and actually had them up against the ropes but they punched back with some incredible playcalling, even stealing a page from the OU history books.

Years from now Boise State fans will think back fondly on their own hook-and-lateral play. (Although technically it was more of an in-route-and-lateral, wasn't it?)

GrapevineSooner
1/2/2007, 02:31 AM
Do you mean "we" the team, or "we" the fans? ;)

The team. :D

Of course, I'd assume that Stoops already knows you can try and take a thing or two from every game, no matter the outcome.

I think if you had told us we'd play in the Fiesta Bowl but lose a heartbreker...

I dunno that we would have taken it. But I'd rather play in the Fiesta Bowl and lose a heartbreaker than lose in a lesser bowl. And I don't think anyone saw us playing the Fiesta Bowl after AD went down.

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 02:33 AM
If you mean we should have won because we were up by 7 and had them facing 4th and 18, then, yes, I agree. If you mean we should have won because we were far and away the better team then, *gasp* I disagree. Especially with Malcolm Kelly on the sidelines.
I think we were the "better team" with regard to talent, size and speed. But they were surely better when you consider smarts and execution and avoidance of mistakes - all of which is pretty important. :(

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 02:38 AM
.....Years from now Boise State fans will think back fondly on their own hook-and-lateral play. (Although technically it was more of an in-route-and-lateral, wasn't it?)

Y'know, back in '71 after the Nebbish Game of the Century, I figured I had endured all the "tough loss but great game" scenarios that I'd need to endure. Somehow I feel like the football fates owe me a great win in an unforgettable game. I doubt they'll pay off.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:44 AM
I think we were the "better team" with regard to talent, size and speed. But they were surely better when you consider smarts and execution and avoidance of mistakes - all of which is pretty important. :(

I think the teams were pretty evenly matched, talent wise. Zabransky is a really good QB. I love Thompson, but they clearly had the edge there. I'm not sure about WR. We probably have the talent edge on them even with Kelly on the sidelines, but WRs are only as good as the QB throwing them the ball, so you kinda have to look at that as at least a draw. And Ian Johnson is the most underrated running back in the nation. Talent-wise, I'll take our running backs over him, but that dude just makes stuff happen. I don't know enough about the o-lines to say which were better, but you kinda have to think that their o-line is better than ours because they were able to run the ball more effectively than us with, what we all seem to think is a less-talented running back.

They don't seem to have many superstars on defense, but they played great as a team. I dunno...sure...recruiting-wise we have more stars, but they've got some great players. Even if we do have the edge, talent-wise, it's not a huge gap. They've gotta be either the 2nd or 3rd most talented team we've played this year.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 02:46 AM
Y'know, back in '71 after the Nebbish Game of the Century, I figured I had endured all the "tough loss but great game" scenarios that I'd need to endure. Somehow I feel like the football fates owe me a great win in an unforgettable game. I doubt they'll pay off.

I'm glad I didn't have to witness that one. I think that now we're just paying the piper for our 2000 season. I think more people gave Boise State a chance to win this game than gave us a chance to beat Florida State in that Orange Bowl.

I have a feeling that some big things are on the horizon for this Sooner squad. I mean, it's not like we haven't had some big things happening for the past 5 years, but I feel like we're about to get over this hump that we've inexplicably slid back down.