PDA

View Full Version : Why does it seem like

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 01:58 AM
when we win, nobody remembers, and when we lose, nobody forgets? I am sick & tired of losing "unforgettable" games.

Oh, yeah, I just decided I hate college football and never want to watch another game, evar. :hot:

Sooner_Bob
1/2/2007, 02:32 AM
Exactly.

bcgvh
1/2/2007, 02:35 AM
yep, ESPN is already calling this "the greatest upset in the history of all bowl games".....I don't know how they come to that conclusion?! :rolleyes:

Sooner_Bob
1/2/2007, 02:36 AM
Wasn't Boise State the higher ranked team? :rolleyes:

OhU1
1/2/2007, 02:45 AM
Had we won 42-41 the game would not be remembered for long and would not be a classic. 99% of the public wanted the underdog and were thrilled at the long odds it took for BSU to pull it off in the end. People seldom celebrate the favorite rallying from behind to victory.

BSU deserved to win. We fought back hard but played a very sloppy game with poor execution - we would have been very fortunate to have prevailed.

poke4christ
1/2/2007, 02:49 AM
BSU deserved to win. We fought back hard but played a very sloppy game with poor execution - we would have been very fortunate to have prevailed.

I totally disagree. Yes OU played poorly in the beginning, but after that they got their heads on straight and were giving Boise all they had. They came back from an 18 point deficit. OU deserved to win just as much as Boise. It just so happened that when the dust settled Boise took the victory.

OUAndy1807
1/2/2007, 02:56 AM
I'm sure this will be an ESPN 'Instant Classic' and shown a lot over the offseason on ESPN Classic. Hell, they made the Oregan game an "Instant Classic".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2007, 03:49 AM
when we win, nobody remembers, and when we lose, nobody forgets? Elementary, it's for the same reason the refs oftentimes give us bad officiating...NOBODY BUT OU FANS want OU to win...Nobody! We are the bad guys!

critical_phil
1/2/2007, 03:59 AM
Elementary, it's for the same reason the refs oftentimes give us bad officiating...NOBODY BUT _____ FANS want ____ to win...Nobody! We are the bad guys!

insert:

USC
miami
michigan
texas
alabama

etc, etc........

MamaMia
1/2/2007, 10:24 AM
How can this game be the greatest upset of all time? Weren't we only favored by 7 points? Whats up with this big dog little dog, Davey and Goliath stuff? This media hype is over the top ridiculous. I was really wondering if ESPN even knew we were playing in a game this week, until we lost.

I can not believe we put ourselves in this position.

leavingthezoo
1/2/2007, 10:26 AM
Wasn't Boise State the higher ranked team? :rolleyes:

they were also the undefeated team. heh. which is why i don't get the whole david and goliath spin.

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2007, 11:30 AM
when we win, nobody remembers, and when we lose, nobody forgets?

Because we have a long history of winning more than losing. And, most of our losses are either post-season or in big games. It just goes with the territory of being a big name program with decade upon decade of success.

It doesn't matter that we beat Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma State and the other clowns in our conference. Everyone expects us to do that. The focus is on the rivalries, championship games, and bowl games - as it should be.

Over the past four years, we've tanked in big games more than we've won them. So, those are the ones people are going to talk about. It's just the nature of the beast.

tpatton
1/2/2007, 01:11 PM
Nobody likes a winner, and loves to see them lose...Everybody likes to see the underdog win, and usually makes a really big deal out of it when it happens. In OU's case...they are EXPECTED to win..and win BIG! Even the OU fans will tell you they feel the same...tough to meet those kind of expectations every game..every year. Its either perfection, or its WRONG!

Luthor
1/2/2007, 02:29 PM
Had we won 42-41 the game would not be remembered for long and would not be a classic. 99% of the public wanted the underdog and were thrilled at the long odds it took for BSU to pull it off in the end. People seldom celebrate the favorite rallying from behind to victory.

So far as the media is concerned this was a no win game for OU any way you slice it. Anything up to a 4 TD win for OU would be considered as expected. More than that would earn you the title of big bully. Anything close would be the same as a loss and Tiny Tim U would be hoisted on the shoulders of ESPN anyway.

It's the very reason there is little if anything to be gained for a big time program to play a small one in this sort of game scenario.

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 04:05 PM
Just to clarify: I was not insinuating media bioas or anything, just that we seem to have had more notable losses recently, and , as someone else said, when we win, it's not all that remarkable.
Carry on!

soonerx7
1/2/2007, 04:20 PM
A press conference from Denny Green after his Cards lost to the Bears.

WE KNEW WHO THEY WERE!

Milder version.

soonerrn
1/2/2007, 04:28 PM
What I am reading, and seeing in the press is that OU is the team to watch! They are watching pretty much every move we make, so doesn't that make us the standard? We are like the popular kid on the playground... either you want to be around them or you want to make them look bad.
I for one am going to encourage and defend them!! So, there!!!;) LOL

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2007, 06:46 PM
So far as the media is concerned this was a no win game for OU any way you slice it. Anything up to a 4 TD win for OU would be considered as expected. More than that would earn you the title of big bully. Anything close would be the same as a loss and Tiny Tim U would be hoisted on the shoulders of ESPN anyway.

It's the very reason there is little if anything to be gained for a big time program to play a small one in this sort of game scenario.Pretty good use of the English language, for the whorn that you are.

OUstud
1/2/2007, 08:43 PM
yep, ESPN is already calling this "the greatest upset in the history of all bowl games".....I don't know how they come to that conclusion?! :rolleyes:

2005, The Game We Do Not Speak Of: "This is the most anticipated, best championship game EVAR!"
2006, Rose Bowl: "This is the most anticipated, best championship game EVAR!"

The national media likes to blow loads when it comes to good games, forgetting of course that they pretty much said the same thing a year ago.

bluedogok
1/2/2007, 08:48 PM
I'm sure this will be an ESPN 'Instant Classic' and shown a lot over the offseason on ESPN Classic. Hell, they made the Oregan game an "Instant Classic".
I doubt that FOX will release the game to ABC/ESPN for their use for quite awhile. ABC broadcast the Oregon game and therefore had the rights already.

The media has become nothing more the the "humpers" of the moment, they only care about whatever the team of the moment is. Amazing how one year Miami is the "best team ever", a week later FSU has it, then OU, then USC. They care more about hearing themselves talk than they do about actually reporting anything useful.

Eielson
1/2/2007, 08:53 PM

They also said Boise State is a top 5 team. I guess that means we are the best team in the nation by far.

wishbonesooner
1/2/2007, 09:08 PM
After all these years as a Sooner fan, I finally get it. When OU loses, to most of America, it's a huge frikking deal.

bluedogok
1/2/2007, 09:10 PM
It is the same thing with any of the "Big Boys", everyone loves an underdog unless they are playing their team.

kevpks
1/2/2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I get really sick of the whole Cinderella story motif. Sports media is the lowest form of journalism. Announcers just recycle the same stories and perspectives every game. I sometimes think they are paying more attention to their notes and scripts than the actual game. I don't know how many times a play is being reviewed while the announcers are jabbering on about something irrelevant. I resolved years ago to never root for the underdog just because they are the underdog. I root for OU and the teams that play the teams I hate (i.e. Texas, OSU, Notre Dame etc.).

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 09:53 PM
The only reason it was an "upset" is because the bookies who set the line knew that the betting money would mainly go toward OU and not BSu because of the tradition vs lack thereof, and only partly because of sytrength of schedule. Lines are only partly based on actual assessment of quality, they bottom line is "where will the money go?" I admit, IF I were a gambler (I'm not) I would have put my money on BSu with the points, knowing that OU basically never blew anybody out this year (except MTSU).

MissouriSooner
1/2/2007, 10:04 PM
Sounds like what they were saying when OU kicked Florida State's arse in the OB back in 2000.

soonermeteor
1/3/2007, 03:08 AM
It will blow over. The media loves forcing underdog stories (see George Mason), even though as some of you already pointed out we were ranked lower in the BCS. It was a bad situation to get put in and i hated the idea from the start. We got stuck in the perfect set up for a Glory Road forced sports story. However, something else will happen soon and it will be forgotten... sort of like:

Sounds like what they were saying when OU kicked Florida State's arse in the OB back in 2000.

When the media forces the underdog, they get more attention because that is what the nation likes to see. I got pulled in to the George Mason final four run and its because its what the people want to see. Like I said, it was a bad situation to get stuck with being on the other side.