PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, we are MIGHTY Oklahoma!!!!

sooneron
1/2/2007, 01:16 AM
Per espn.:rolleyes:

picasso
1/2/2007, 01:22 AM
Fox wore that theme out tonight too. It's not like we were the Sooners of '03 this year. We blew one team out for the most part.
This squad greatly overachieved.

Still a good season.

Fiatil
1/2/2007, 01:49 AM
Yeah, we went from being a "meh" team to the world, to being The Mighty Sooners, and them saying this is one of the better squads we've had in years, all because we lost. This really was a lose lose situation for us in the eyes of the media.

sooner2b09
1/2/2007, 01:56 AM
Amen, when were we "Mighty" during the regular season. We were just the team that wouldnt give up. But since we can squeeze out of alot of our games on top we are "Mighty" now. The played this up way to much. It was a pretty good BSU team against a decent OU team.

MamaMia
1/2/2007, 02:11 AM
I too was puzzled over how we all of the sudden went from being described by every sports personality on TV as a "two loss team" who was "young, rebuilding and overcoming many setbacks" to the "Big Dog", the "OU Powerhouse", and the "Mighty Sooners." I found the yakity mouthed jocks especially amusing today. :D

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/2/2007, 02:18 AM
I made a vow that if they made one more remark about BSU's ability to run with the "big dogs" I was going to have to mail the network a big box of dog poo.

Now either I have to do it or live with myself as a welscher.

props
1/2/2007, 02:23 AM
this game was all about boise. they sold OU so well as being this amazing team so that if boise wins, it's a huge deal, and if boise loses, it's no skin of their backs.

the media made this a lose-lose situation for OU, and unfortunately, we lost in a big way.

Sooner_Bob
1/2/2007, 02:25 AM
unfortunately, we lost in a big way.

Sorry . . . don't agree with that. Sure we lost the Fiesta Bowl, but this season was a huge success IMO.

bcgvh
1/2/2007, 02:27 AM
No joke, how was this an upset really? We were 11-2 and they were undefeated. We lost to Texas and Oregon, well, not really Oregon, and we almost lost to A&M and OSU. We aren't "Mighty Oklahoma" this year, if we were, we'd be playing Ohio State next week. I agree that we over-achieved this year, I guess listening to the media blow this game out of proportion just makes it more embarrassing than it really is. This was an "average" Stoops team, next year should be a lot better pending the QB situation. Boise State is a great team, but I still believe that we are better, kind of like when we played LSU in '03. Everything went their way at the end, it was like it was just meant to be.

props
1/2/2007, 02:34 AM
Sorry . . . don't agree with that. Sure we lost the Fiesta Bowl, but this season was a huge success IMO.

i say big b/c it was a loss-situation for us if we win, because it earns us no respect. it's a loss-situation for us if we lose, because then we're forever stuck as the team that boise beat.

and of the two possible outcomes, the one that occurred is definitely the worst.

FrostySooner
1/2/2007, 04:51 AM
In all, it was a great season for the Sooners IMO. We did a lot better than most expected. When we lost Bomar, critics believed we were finished but we weren't. When AD went down, they said we would be maybe .500 at the end of the season but we weren't. Boise State had a cinderella season, but I think our season was a cinderella story as well because we overcame so much to make it to a BCS game when most were wondering if we would make it to a bowl. Congrats to the Sooners on a great year and Congrats to that small school in Idaho that made a dream come true for their program. I just wish there dream wouldn't have happened at out expense. Oh well, we will be back next year in full force.

BIG_IKE
1/2/2007, 10:15 AM
OH please guys..if they did'nt do things like call us "mighty" we'd be complaining that they were snubbing OU or had no respect for our 7 national titles blah blah blah...who cares..we lost.

sooner2b09
1/2/2007, 10:23 AM
Pat Forde just called us "Lordly Oklahoma" on an article on espn.com

reevie
1/2/2007, 10:34 AM
I made a vow that if they made one more remark about BSU's ability to run with the "big dogs" I was going to have to mail the network a big box of dog poo.

I'm thinking that living as a welsher is probably the better choice...

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 10:34 AM
I too was puzzled over how we all of the sudden went from being described by every sports personality on TV as a "two loss team" who was "young, rebuilding and overcoming many setbacks" to the "Big Dog", the "OU Powerhouse", and the "Mighty Sooners." I found the yakity mouthed jocks especially amusing today. :D
spek!

sooneron
1/2/2007, 10:44 AM
OH please guys..if they did'nt do things like call us "mighty" we'd be complaining that they were snubbing OU or had no respect for our 7 national titles blah blah blah...who cares..we lost.
Uh, no. I would expect them to call us what we were this year- solid, good, slightly overachieving, resilient. NOT MIGHTY. This title has nothing to do with us, but with the fact that boise won.

King Crimson
1/2/2007, 10:54 AM
Fox wore that theme out tonight too. It's not like we were the Sooners of '03 this year. We blew one team out for the most part.
This squad greatly overachieved.

Still a good season.

that's right. we were a good team that won every close game down the stretch with a limited O and an aggressive D.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/2/2007, 11:17 AM
I'll cut ESPN and Fox a little slack on the David vs Goliath thing because I think it wasn't just referring to the players on the field but moreso the programs. Bosie was the undefeated team and they were what at most 9 point underdogs? This was less of an actual upset then how we lost to KSU in the conf championship.

I think the fact that since WWII OU has 7 titles and has won more games than any team in college football combined with the fact that Boise had never played in a game close to this big that it had a lot to do with the programs.

For Boise beating OU is a landmark win, a symbolic win. It was their chance to show that they belong and they made the most of that chance. If they had played a team ranked higher but with less tradition (like say Louisville) they would have had a big win but I don't think it would have opened as many eyes. I think 4 out of 5 times we win that game but they won the one that counted and I think people are overreacting as far as the big picture as far as the loss is concerned. It was a bigger win for Boise than it was a loss for OU. Some writers that don't like OU might take a jab but we will be a preseason top 10 team going into next year. We will be fine.

Boise might have lost a game or two in the Big 12 this year but I do think that other than maybe Hook 'em and possibly not even them they were the best team we played this year. Granted it isn't as tough as winning in Collie Station but we didn't lose to a high school team. We played a subpar game with several turnovers against a hungry, opportunistic team that made the most of our mistakes.

We overcame all kinds of obstacles this year and won a conference championship. A number of the same people that might suggest we choked are the same people that wrote the team off after losing to Hook 'em.

Nothing wrong with being plenty disappointed with this loss but the program is in great shape and we will in the hunt for another title as early as next year.

2k2 c5
1/2/2007, 12:53 PM

UPS please. ;)

St. Louis Sooner
1/2/2007, 01:22 PM
Hmmm ... I think it is very accurate to describe our team as good and slightly overachieving. That sums it up nicely, but lets not forget that they are young too. We probably would have gotten to play tOSU if we'd had a few All-Americans on each side of the ball. We were not 'mighty' this year by any stretch of the imagination. However, our program is mighty and it will stay that way. Others always want to knock you off when you are on top.

I believe when you look at our team from that perspective ... then understanding all the gameday successes and failures becomes clear.

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 03:52 PM
I'll cut ESPN and Fox a little slack on the David vs Goliath thing because I think it wasn't just referring to the players on the field but moreso the programs. Bosie was the undefeated team and they were what at most 9 point underdogs? This was less of an actual upset then how we lost to KSU in the conf championship.

I think the fact that since WWII OU has 7 titles and has won more games than any team in college football combined with the fact that Boise had never played in a game close to this big that it had a lot to do with the programs.

For Boise beating OU is a landmark win, a symbolic win. It was their chance to show that they belong and they made the most of that chance. If they had played a team ranked higher but with less tradition (like say Louisville) they would have had a big win but I don't think it would have opened as many eyes. I think 4 out of 5 times we win that game but they won the one that counted and I think people are overreacting as far as the big picture as far as the loss is concerned. It was a bigger win for Boise than it was a loss for OU. Some writers that don't like OU might take a jab but we will be a preseason top 10 team going into next year. We will be fine.

Boise might have lost a game or two in the Big 12 this year but I do think that other than maybe Hook 'em and possibly not even them they were the best team we played this year. Granted it isn't as tough as winning in Collie Station but we didn't lose to a high school team. We played a subpar game with several turnovers against a hungry, opportunistic team that made the most of our mistakes.

We overcame all kinds of obstacles this year and won a conference championship. A number of the same people that might suggest we choked are the same people that wrote the team off after losing to Hook 'em.

Nothing wrong with being plenty disappointed with this loss but the program is in great shape and we will in the hunt for another title as early as next year.
Good summary.

Texas Golfer
1/2/2007, 06:31 PM
Isn't it great to be in a no-win situation?

We win the game: big deal. We should have.
We lose the game: such an embarrassment.

Unfortunately, this is not only from the rest of the nation but from OU fans, as well.

wishbonesooner
1/2/2007, 07:24 PM
We have always been Mighty Oklahoma.