PDA

View Full Version : HELL FROZE OVER - BCS GAMES?????

franklinjake
1/2/2007, 01:01 AM
Not only did hell freeze over and we played our worse possible game to allow BSU to win which is embarassing enough in itslef, but 3 out of the last 3 BCS games we have been embarassed. What needs to change????

go4indian
1/2/2007, 01:24 AM
We need to clone Tressel and get him here FAST!

bri
1/2/2007, 01:29 AM
Not only did hell freeze over and we played our worse possible game to allow BSU to win which is embarassing enough in itslef, but 3 out of the last 3 BCS games we have been embarassed. What needs to change????

We lost one of those games by seven and had a chance to tie it late. The other was a one-point loss to an undefeated team that YOU underestimated because you have no clue about college football outside the Big 12. The only embarrassment here is your inablility to handle defeat with anything remotely resembling grace, dignity, or maturity. So I'll tell you what needs to change...your abilty to post for three days.

sooner KB
1/2/2007, 01:29 AM
3 different BCS bowls, 3 embarrassing losses. 3 different sets of players, 3 different opponents. What's the one thing that all 3 games had in common? The coaching staff (for the most part).

I'm not making a "fire stoops" post, but if you want a reason for 3 embarrassing BCS bowl losses, there is no other besides coaching at this point. 2 games can be a coincidence, but 3 is a pattern.

bri
1/2/2007, 01:31 AM
We need to clone Tressel and get him here FAST!

I'll stick with the coach we already have, thank you very much.

Enjoy your vacation.

bri
1/2/2007, 01:37 AM
3 different BCS bowls, 3 embarrassing losses. 3 different sets of players, 3 different opponents. What's the one thing that all 3 games had in common? The coaching staff (for the most part).

I'm not making a "fire stoops" post, but if you want a reason for 3 embarrassing BCS bowl losses, there is no other besides coaching at this point. 2 games can be a coincidence, but 3 is a pattern.

You know what annoys me more than people who make "fire Stoops" posts after losses? People who lie and don't have the stones to own up to their "fire Stoops" post. Enjoy your vacation.

What part of "short leash" are you all struggling with?

Egeo
1/2/2007, 01:38 AM
i dont even know this guy and i like him ^

dpool2002
1/2/2007, 01:40 AM
OU has nothing to be ashamed about. As a texas fan, I'm not going to rag on ya'll at all. Boise State wanted to win that game. You guys showed a ton of heart coming back. They showed even more coming back their way. Great game, really fun to watch, don't be so hard on yourselves, the more the game went on, the more glad I was that we weren't playing them. They pulled out all the stops to win.

SoonerStud615
1/2/2007, 01:44 AM
We played our hearts out tonight. I have nothing but the highest respect for our team and coaches. However, i might not be as excited in the future about BCS games.

SoonerMom2
1/2/2007, 02:04 AM
I am absolutely convinced that one of our problems in BCS games is the amount of commercials. Our guys wear teams down in the 2nd half in game after game but in the BCS games, commercial breaks are long (some 5 minutes) which gives the opposing team a chance to get a breather in the 2nd half.

You could see BSU starting to tire and then here comes a commercial break. Also don't discount the loss of Malcolm Kelly who makes quarterbacks look unbeatable with his catches. I think some of those balls tonight he would have fought for and gotten.

SoonerTerry
1/2/2007, 03:13 AM
You know what annoys me more than people who make "fire Stoops" posts after losses? People who lie and don't have the stones to own up to their "fire Stoops" post. Enjoy your vacation.

What part of "short leash" are you all struggling with?

lol:pop:

OUTromBoNado
1/2/2007, 04:20 AM
We lost one of those games by seven and had a chance to tie it late. The other was a one-point loss to an undefeated team that YOU underestimated because you have no clue about college football outside the Big 12. The only embarrassment here is your inablility to handle defeat with anything remotely resembling grace, dignity, or maturity. So I'll tell you what needs to change...your abilty to post for three days.

YMSSRA.

IMO, when a team has to pull out all the stops like that, running a hook-and-ladder in the final minute of play, and a Statue of Liberty play (which I had never actually seen until tonight) to make a 2-point conversion in overtime to beat you by one point...does not qualify as an embarrassing loss.

If we had lost to Boise State 28-10, THAT would have been an embarrassing loss. Did our defense get lit up? Yes. Did our offensive line play absolutely horrific? Yes. Did PT play probably his worst game of the year? Yes.

Let's face it, PT really has not had a HORRIBLE game this year, until now. I was very surprised by that. Unfortunately, it just caught up to him at the worst time. Major props to him for getting his composure and driving down the field to tie it in the 4th Quarter though. That was masterful.

I really had not seen Boise play this year. But give it up to them. They had good athletes with great smarts, and great play calling. I definitely underestimated them.

But yeah, your right. Stoops and his staff are consistently racking up 10, 11, 12 win seasons. They have now accumulated more Big 12 Championships than any other school. But, they can't seem to close out the season with a bowl win, much less a BCS game (which is one ONE game out of the entire season). And oh yeah, it's so incredibly, enormously embarrassing to lose in a National Championship game by 7 points to one team, who was very good, while we had a hurt QB, and the next to the season-long #1 ranked team, who was vastly superior to us with that season's Heisman winner.

Your right, let's trash this coaching staff. They suck.[/sarcasm]

Give me a freaking break. We got outcoached in one game. Granted, it was a big game, but it was still one game in one of the most incredible seasons of Sooner football. I think this coaching staff has done a tremendous job against all the obstacles they've faced this year.

wishbonesooner
1/2/2007, 07:30 AM
tell you what. Any of you that are embarrassed about the Sooners or by being a Sooner fan, about 80 something miles up North you can find yourself a school you can follow without all the trauma you have experienced. You can get a ticket to any game, they'll never play a BCS game, and you don't have the stigma of losing a football game to deal with.
I'll stick with the crimson and Cream.

arcman46
1/2/2007, 08:01 AM
The Boise game goes to show that given the amount of time to prepare for a game, almost any team can beat any other at any given time. BSU outcoached us, but at the same time the sloppy play of PT, and the defense not playing particularly well is what did us in. Kudos to BSU, but what I saw last night was a team, that would on a day in day out basis, get beat by us, or any other big time top ten program, by at least 20 points. BSU won with their heart, and while I always hate it when my Sooners lose, this may be good for the game in that it finally starts to push us toward a playoff. I think that BSU, being the only other undefeated team in football should get a chance for the NC, even though I think tOSU would probably destroy them on the field.

Osce0la
1/2/2007, 11:11 AM
Could be worse, you could have our BCS record :rolleyes:

I think we are 1-4 or 1-5 in BCS games...

auto
1/2/2007, 11:13 AM
tell you what. Any of you that are embarrassed about the Sooners or by being a Sooner fan, about 80 something miles up North you can find yourself a school you can follow without all the trauma you have experienced. You can get a ticket to any game, they'll never play a BCS game, and you don't have the stigma of losing a football game to deal with.
I'll stick with the crimson and Cream.

That right there is funny.:D

SoonerFaninAZ
1/2/2007, 11:20 AM
Could be worse, you could have our BCS record :rolleyes:

I think we are 1-4 or 1-5 in BCS games...

So then you're saying that you would rather not get there at all than to lose.

I just don't understand the mentality that says we suck because we lose the bowl game. Or, fire the coach because among his 18.1% failure rate are some very important games. Wow. To think that he's actually losing to teams that may be just as good as his team.

"I'd love to lose the 7th game of the World Series EVERY year." - Whitey Herzog.

sooner518
1/2/2007, 11:26 AM

I just don't understand the mentality that says we suck because we lose the bowl game. Or, fire the coach because among his 18.1% failure rate are some very important games. Wow. To think that he's actually losing to teams that may be just as good as his team.

"I'd love to lose the 7th game of the World Series EVERY year." - Whitey Herzog.
no hes a Seminoles fan. their BCS record is worse than ours.

Luthor
1/2/2007, 11:29 AM

Hate to say this guys but I think it's time for Venables to move on. I know it's the pot calling the kettle, what with Davis' probosus firmly afixed to Mack's buttocks, but that little problem can't be resolved for us. Davis is a permanent fixture in Austin and I've just learned to accept it. I don't think Stoops suffers from the same degree of severe loyalty syndrome as Mack does. Hopefully for you guys I'm right.

StuIsTheMan
1/2/2007, 11:41 AM
Hate to say this guys but I think it's time for Venables to move on. I know it's the pot calling the kettle, what with Davis' probosus firmly afixed to Mack's buttocks, but that little problem can't be resolved for us. Davis is a permanent fixture in Austin and I've just learned to accept it. I don't think Stoops suffers from the same degree of severe loyalty syndrome as Mack does. Hopefully for you guys I'm right.

You mean Vulnerables...I agree...BV's play calling was insane...

Osce0la
1/2/2007, 11:45 AM

I'd love to be able to watch the Noles play Louisville tonight instead of Wake Forest playing them. I would take a BCS bowl every season if we could. We (FSU) just seem to know how to lose BCS bowls better than anyone. If I'm not mistaken, we've been to more BCS bowls than any other team, yet we have only 1 BCS bowl victory. I'll take the trip to the BCS bowls (as more than likely it would mean that we were ACC Champs), I just wish we could win the ****ing games...

That said, I don't think people should call for Stoops' head because of this loss. Boise is a better team than most want to believe, and OU played a good second half. Limit the turnovers in that game and OU probably wins that game big. Stoops is a great coach, and I'd love to have him on our sidelines...

wishbonesooner
1/2/2007, 11:46 AM
You know, I'm starting to wish we had John Blake back. Hell, we never had to worry about losing a BCS game, we never had to stress out about getting upset, we were never favored in any game he was our coach. All this BCS stuff is just way too much trauma. Bring back Boo!

OUmillenium
1/2/2007, 11:53 AM
heh...John Blake

SoonerFaninAZ
1/2/2007, 11:58 AM
You mean Vulnerables...I agree...BV's play calling was insane...

I'm not much of an X's and O's guy, but I would love to have you go into more detail.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2007, 12:31 PM
I don't necessarily agree with the thread-starter and the other guys that got banned, Bri, but I don't understand your banning them. They weren't being profane or crude, or anything other than griping, and isn't it you lefties that so often champion the right for free speech?

bri
1/2/2007, 12:48 PM
I don't necessarily agree with the thread-starter and the other guys that got banned, Bri, but I don't understand your banning them. They weren't being profane or crude, or anything other than griping, and isn't it you lefties that so often champion the right for free speech?

What's not to understand? The rules are simple; calling for coaching change and/or bashing players is never tolerated, and doubly so after a game like this. I posted a warning to the board, and people that didn't heed it were dealt with. They'll be back in a couple of days, so where's the injustice? Are we REALLY going to be all the poorer because for two days we don't get to see someone use "embarrassing" like it's a comma?

XingTheRubicon
1/2/2007, 01:02 PM

This post did not warrant a ban. I don't care for player/coach bashing either, but this was just a simple statement and a question.

bri
1/2/2007, 01:09 PM
Yes it did. "Something needs to change" = "fire coaches".

Also, he was making the same post in multiple threads. With almost 600 people online after the game, allowing someone to clog up every thread with his cries for coaching changes would slow the board, or worse, crash it. Hell, it took me three times to ban him because the server was under such strain.

And furthermore, you don't get a say in what "warrants a ban". Really, we don't even have to explain our actions to you people, but I do because I want other posters to be able to learn from the mistakes of others. But at the end of the day, I really don't care what you think about how we run this board.

TheLlama
1/2/2007, 01:14 PM

Agreed.

Sooners had an awsome year. Cant win em all.

soonerrn
1/2/2007, 01:16 PM
Don't forget, these are still college kids! They are not professional players. They played hard, did their best. I think they did pretty good under the pressure. You can coach until your head blows up, but you cannot cause the plays to be executed perfectly.
I was dissapointed also, but they made it into the bowl!

auto
1/2/2007, 01:43 PM
I have been a Sooner fan forever, even visited football and basketball camps while in school living in Alaska. Saying that I am embarrassed or something needs to change about bowl preparation is not out of line.

This team exceeded all expectations given the circumstances, but coming out flat in yet another bowl game is disappointing and embarrassing.;)

XingTheRubicon
1/2/2007, 01:43 PM

Also, he was making the same post in multiple threads. With almost 600 people online after the game, allowing someone to clog up every thread with his cries for coaching changes would slow the board, or worse, crash it. Hell, it took me three times to ban him because the server was under such strain.

And furthermore, you don't get a say in what "warrants a ban". Really, we don't even have to explain our actions to you people, but I do because I want other posters to be able to learn from the mistakes of others. But at the end of the day, I really don't care what you think about how we run this board.

He didn't say that. You're just not sure what you're doing, it happens, no big deal.

StuIsTheMan
1/2/2007, 02:16 PM
I'm not much of an X's and O's guy, but I would love to have you go into more detail.
Well with you not being much of an X's and O's guy I will keep it simple...Get rid of the Prevent! We have more than enough talent on the corners to be giving any kind of cushion that late in the game. And it didn't work to boot. And what about the 2 point conversion...I saw only one Sooner on that side when the ball was snapped with 4 BSU players to block...I am sorry, I do like BV but I don't think he called his best game last night. It just seemed that they took the bait on everything last night.

I feel some neg comming my way...oh well whats new...
BOOMER SOONER!

Vaevictis
1/2/2007, 02:23 PM
And what about the 2 point conversion...I saw only one Sooner on that side when the ball was snapped with 4 BSU players to block...

I saw two of our guys on that side. I also saw two of them get completely owned by their two blockers. Sucks, but it happens sometimes.

StuIsTheMan
1/2/2007, 02:38 PM
I saw two of our guys on that side. I also saw two of them get completely owned by their two blockers. Sucks, but it happens sometimes.

One guy at the snap the other came in late...but everyone was lined up on the other side...they fell for it HOOK, LINE AND SINKER...I just think some better Defensive calls could have been made is all.

Vaevictis
1/2/2007, 02:42 PM
One guy at the snap the other came in late...but everyone was lined up on the other side...they fell for it HOOK, LINE AND SINKER...I just think some better Defensive calls could have been made is all.

Yeah, but what do you do? If you pull a guy to the side they ran to, then someone on the other side is man to man, and if the QB recognizes the defense and exploits it, then you'd be bitching about that too.

It all boils down to execution. They needed their guy to block our guy. We needed our guy to blow up their blocker. They did it, we didn't.

OUinFLA
1/2/2007, 03:03 PM

heh, elitist.
:D

StuIsTheMan
1/2/2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but what do you do? If you pull a guy to the side they ran to, then someone on the other side is man to man, and if the QB recognizes the defense and exploits it, then you'd be bitching about that too.

It all boils down to execution. They needed their guy to block our guy. We needed our guy to blow up their blocker. They did it, we didn't.

I would like the Man D in that situation...And hey who's bitching...it's not like I called for his job or anything...I like BV...To his defense I can remember back in 01 vs Nebbish...they beat us on our own trick play...and good'ol mike was the DC back then...so it can happen to anybody but you just don't give up the weak side like that...there was no one lined up outside the DE...Maybe the Vulnerables comment was alittle harsh but hey last night that is what our D was Vulnerable to every gadget play they had besides the halfback pass back that we caught...besides that they ran them at will just about...

bri
1/2/2007, 03:31 PM
heh, elitist.

When you become a mod, you're required to refer to the general posting populace as "you people". It's, like, a rule or something. ;)

OUinFLA
1/2/2007, 03:42 PM
When you become a mod, you're required to refer to the general posting populace as "you people". It's, like, a rule or something. ;)

ah so.
bless you, your holy hiney hole.
your people adore you.

Sooner_Bob
1/2/2007, 03:59 PM

So the 60 second flood control is your fault . . . :mad:

SleestakSooner
1/2/2007, 04:18 PM
ah so.
bless you, your holy hiney hole.
your people adore you.

ROFLMFAO!

Ummm is it ok to clamor for a mod change? ;)

tpatton
1/2/2007, 04:31 PM
I think this board is run fine, although I am new to the site. Administrators are just that...administrators of control and courtesy. If what Sooner Bob said is true, he had the right to work on the guy from last night, and we must trust that he acts in the best interest of all members, which looks pretty numerous to me. What if no action is taken for the good of the whole? Call me what you want, but some actions seem logical and worthy of support.

StuIsTheMan
1/2/2007, 04:34 PM
Call me what you want,

Sally

tpatton
1/2/2007, 04:39 PM
Sally

Fine with me...thanks Stu

bri
1/2/2007, 04:58 PM
So the 60 second flood control is your fault . . . :mad:

Are you kidding? I hate 60 second flood control. That's why I just switched to banning instead of just verbally abusing people like I usually do. I can ban three people in the time it takes to make one post. :D

OUTromBoNado
1/2/2007, 06:34 PM
I think this board is run fine, although I am new to the site. Administrators are just that...administrators of control and courtesy. If what Sooner Bob said is true, he had the right to work on the guy from last night, and we must trust that he acts in the best interest of all members, which looks pretty numerous to me. What if no action is taken for the good of the whole? Call me what you want, but some actions seem logical and worthy of support.

Welcome to board, n00b.

Seriously, welcome.

tpatton
1/3/2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks and excuse my ignorance, but what's a n00b?

StuIsTheMan
1/3/2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks and excuse my ignorance, but what's a n00b?

a new person with under 1000 posts so it would seem...

OUinFLA
1/3/2007, 01:53 PM
a new person with under 10.000 posts so it would seem...

fixed that for ya

StuIsTheMan
1/3/2007, 02:04 PM
fixed that for ya

Gee thanks your my HERO!

OUinFLA
1/3/2007, 02:12 PM
Gee thanks your my HERO!

<blush> aw, gee, thanks. All it takes is unlimited commitment to being on SF.com above job, family and country.

Participating in every game thread being willing to post "nice tackle". "good pass". "bull-**** call, ref" , and other words of wisdom for 3-4 hours each Saturday.

But, the real "hero's" of the board have over 18,000 posts. That's my goal before bowl season ends. After that you have to go to the South Oval and make similar posts. It won't matter over there if your posts are relevant or not, no one is going to read them anyway.

Good luck in your future post count...................n00b. :D

StuIsTheMan
1/3/2007, 02:42 PM
<blush> aw, gee, thanks. All it takes is unlimited commitment to being on SF.com above job, family and country.

Participating in every game thread being willing to post "nice tackle". "good pass". "bull-**** call, ref" , and other words of wisdom for 3-4 hours each Saturday.

But, the real "hero's" of the board have over 18,000 posts. That's my goal before bowl season ends. After that you have to go to the South Oval and make similar posts. It won't matter over there if your posts are relevant or not, no one is going to read them anyway.

Good luck in your future post count...................n00b. :D

Well at least you have your goals...lol...I just wish I could be half the slacker you are some day...one can hope can't they...:D

tpatton
1/3/2007, 02:52 PM
DANG! 10,000 posts?! I guess I'll be carrying that title for some time. Awww...keep a stiff upper lip and all...I'll be proud of being a n00b and try to be worthy of the title by not embarrassing myself! :-)

SleestakSooner
1/3/2007, 07:29 PM

So you are an anarchist? ;)

OUTromBoNado
1/5/2007, 03:38 PM
a new person with under 1000 posts so it would seem...

Crap, so I'm still a n00b?

Time to go post in the "One Word Thread" some more.

josh09
1/5/2007, 07:15 PM

Correction: worst possible first half.

OKC Sooner
1/5/2007, 07:22 PM
When will you start using the 'Royal we'? :texan:

"When we became a mod, we were required..." :D

franklinjake
1/5/2007, 08:45 PM

What's immature is if someone posts something you may not agree with, is banning the for 3 days because you don't want to, or are incapable of debating. If you don't agree, then let's debate the stinking issue! Granted they were undefeated, but anyone would agree we have more talent and an all around football team. We lost because we did not play the quality football that we did in the Big 12 Championship this year. Period.

OUinFLA
1/5/2007, 09:04 PM
What's immature is if someone posts something you may not agree with, is banning the for 3 days because you don't want to, or are incapable of debating. If you don't agree, then let's debate the stinking issue! Granted they were undefeated, but anyone would agree we have more talent and an all around football team. We lost because we did not play the quality football that we did in the Big 12 Championship this year. Period.

well, I see you've been unbanned.

for now

franklinjake
1/5/2007, 09:13 PM
well, I see you've been unbanned.

for now

ha, i know!!! great to be back with all my Sooner friends, and yes, even the ones I may not agree with all the time - WE ARE SOONERS!!!

OUinFLA
1/5/2007, 09:18 PM
ha, i know!!! great to be back with all my Sooner friends, and yes, even the ones I may not agree with all the time - WE ARE SOONERS!!!

well, I'd give you some spek, but................
It appears your spek button has dissappeared.

chbrew09
1/5/2007, 10:57 PM

That's not too bad...you get back from a 3 day vacation and you immediately get another 7 day right when you get back. I want your job!