PDA

View Full Version : Each teams 2 pt. conv. tells us all we needed to know

gnostic19
1/2/2007, 01:01 AM
We had 3 chances to run the 2 pt play and had the same play drawn up...the typical fade pattern, which i consider to be a give up play. It's a shame the lack of creativity we had during those three plays. Then, look what BSU does on their 2 pt. play. Brilliant.

sooner518
1/2/2007, 01:06 AM
if you want to cheer for a team who runs trick plays on every single ****ing play in overtime, move to potato-country.

King Crimson
1/2/2007, 01:33 AM
gnostic is a troll. and kind of a sad one at that.

gnostic19
1/2/2007, 01:34 AM
if you want to cheer for a team who runs trick plays on every single ****ing play in overtime, move to potato-country.

Actually, i cheer for a team that runs the same plays on all three 2 pt. conv. attempts.

gnostic19
1/2/2007, 01:35 AM
gnostic is a troll. and kind of a sad one at that.

you're an idiot, and a good one at that.

Collier11
1/2/2007, 01:35 AM
stoops got out-coaches, bottom line. If you dont think so then you have your head in the sand

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 01:38 AM
Troll or no, we (that is, Bob Stoops) was outcoached BIG TIME tonight. I love the guy, but he's on a par with Lloyd Carr when it comes to coaching in big games. (That's kinda bad.)

KingDavid
1/2/2007, 01:39 AM
stoops got out-coaches, bottom line. If you dont think so then you have your head in the sand

Hate to admit. Rare that I have to. But you're right.

snp
1/2/2007, 01:40 AM
SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Collier11
1/2/2007, 01:41 AM
Hate to admit. Rare that I have to. But you're right.

I know, isnt it sad!! ;)

Egeo
1/2/2007, 01:43 AM
it is proposterous! that OU doesnt win every game!!!!11!!111!1!1!!1!1!

FIRE STOOPS NOW!

GottaHavePride
1/2/2007, 01:44 AM
To counter the original post - our 2-point conversion WORKED, jackass. Just like theirs did.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 01:45 AM
Stoops may've gotten out-coached, but it's not as if he did a poor coaching job. Peterson just did a helluva job. And, when it came down to it, Boise State made more plays than we did.

Way too many people were underestimating Boise State.

rfjeep12
1/2/2007, 01:46 AM
u guys we got beat straight up. yeah, we played like crap but when it came down to it after we made it all even again, we got plain out-coached/out-played whatever. it kills me to admit this, but peterson coached his a** off tonight and played to win with that last call. congrats, boise. we'll be back next year. the only thing i don't understand is why the heck didn't we run peterson or patrick to the outside all nite? we kept running them straight up the middle even after being repeatedly stuffed?

batonrougesooner
1/2/2007, 01:48 AM
They were playing for their whole football lives on that two-point conversion.

They were ALL IN!

Win, they are the Cinderella of the last several years.

Lose, and they were still the Cinderella that proved they nearly could.

In a philsophic sense, they couldn't lose.

Congrats to Boise. They won.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2007, 01:49 AM
I don't care about trick plays. I would like to see us open up on offense. I think Stoops is scared to open up the offense.

bcgvh
1/2/2007, 01:49 AM
I hate to admit it, but Bob Stoops turned into Lloyd Carr part 2 after Mike Stoops left...and he'll continue to put together 10-3 and 11-2 teams year in and year out and be ranked preseason top 10, but will fail to deliver us to the promised land. Personally I don't like Wilson's play calling. Venables is getting better though, with the exception of the last 30 seconds of the game.

bcgvh
1/2/2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah, playing Boise State was a win-win situation for them, and a lose-lose for us, it sucks bad losing to teams we should beat 9 out of 10 times, but as stated before, this was Boise's biggest game in HISTORY and they played like it, we played as if Baylor was on the other sideline.

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 01:58 AM
Yeah, playing Boise State was a win-win situation for them, and a lose-lose for us, it sucks bad losing to teams we should beat 9 out of 10 times, but as stated before, this was Boise's biggest game in HISTORY and they played like it, we played as if Baylor was on the other sideline.

I disagree and I can't understand why nobody is giving Boise the credit they deserve. This is a dang good team. Maybe we do beat them 9 times out of 10, but it's not as if we'd roll over them every time. That was a great team. We played our hearts out and they beat us. We didn't lose because of a lack of effort, we lost because *ahem*

BOISE STATE IS A VERY GOOD TEAM.

snp
1/2/2007, 01:58 AM
Some of you really need to learn how football is played and coached.

TUSooner
1/2/2007, 02:00 AM
BINGO!

And did I mention we were tactically OUT COACHED?

SoonerTerry
1/2/2007, 02:03 AM
We had 3 chances to run the 2 pt play and had the same play drawn up...the typical fade pattern, which i consider to be a give up play. It's a shame the lack of creativity we had during those three plays. Then, look what BSU does on their 2 pt. play. Brilliant.

Looks more brilliant when the defender on that side gets taken to the ground. I guess even the officials were looking the other direction:mad:

FlatheadSooner
1/2/2007, 02:07 AM
BINGO!

And did I mention we were tactically OUT COACHED?

Didn't help that we turned the ball over inside our 20 and threw two other intercpeptions. Whipped out any momentum we should have had. :(

tommieharris91
1/2/2007, 02:22 AM
Didn't help that we turned the ball over inside our 20 and threw two other intercpeptions. Whipped out any momentum we should have had. :(

I have to agree. Without our early mistakes, no comeback is necessary. No OT. OU wins if they just don't turn the ball over and score. IMO this loss is on Thompson. IMO this loss is a lot like the texas loss.

Collier11
1/2/2007, 02:22 AM
Looks more brilliant when the defender on that side gets taken to the ground. I guess even the officials were looking the other direction:mad:

Dont be a punk and blame this on the refs, the refs had nothing to do with us losing this game

Mile High Sooner
1/2/2007, 02:44 AM
OU wins if they just don't turn the ball over and score. IMO this loss is on Thompson. IMO this loss is a lot like the texas loss.

PT did make up for himself with that drive to tie. We never had that opportunity at Texas.
Tonight we gave 14 pts with the fumble on the pass attempt and the pick 6. But we got those back with the touched punt and our own pick 6 at the end for the lead.
I just wished we would have kept the defensive pressure on them at the end of regulation instead of going to a Prevent D. The Prevent D just prevents you from winning because you're playing not to lose.
Arrrgh!:mad:

OUTromBoNado
1/2/2007, 04:39 AM
I don't care about trick plays. I would like to see us open up on offense. I think Stoops is scared to open up the offense.

Yeah, you're right. Stoops is scared to open up the offense, and Kevin Wilson's play calling is horrible. I thought the 3 Tight End set that was unveiled against Texas that we've used with a lot of success since then was pretty innovative.

I guess that set with Peterson out wide coming in motion where we fake/hand the ball off on the reverse, or fake/hand the ball off the Patrick up the middle, or fake/pass the ball down the field to a stupid open wide receiver wasn't very creative either. Yes, I know it got blown up that one time, but it was because whoever the receiver was that was supposed to be blocking, decided to just throw an "O-Ley!" block like a Spanish matador rather than knocking someone the hell out.

Oh yeah, that go ahead on the 4th down against A&M wasn't a good call either.

The fact of the matter is that when you don't have the extraordinary high talent, you have to really think outside of the box and play a thinking man's game to win. That's what Boise did. Do you really think OUr offense good run a lot of the weird trick stuff they did. Remember, it starts in the trenches. If OUr offensive line can't block, then nothing is going to work. You can't give the QB time to throw, and the RB can't run anywhere.

Boise's offense was really fun and entertaining. They had me guessing the whole game. All the shifting and motion before the snap really gave our defense trouble. You could tell by watching all of OUr guys scrambling around the field trying to make sure they covered someone.

2006 will go down as the season of innovative offenses. From the stuff that Boise did, to the weird sets and plays that Arkansas did with McFadden, to the weird Ace set with the QB in shotgun that Nevada ran.

Just think of this though. It could have been a lot worse. We could have been playing IN Boise and only beating NEVADA by one point.

RedGiant
1/2/2007, 04:51 AM
I agree completely it could be a helluva lot worse. That goes without saying. However the continuing defensive busts meltdowns and painful losses in BIG games, and this was a big game, is getting old. I don't think Stoops is to blame directly but I do believe this is quite possibley the weakest coaching staff he's had. I don't see these guys churning out a NC year. I do think it is a Lloyd Carr situation. 11-3, 10-4 are great if you're Michigan, but melting down in big games, in important games, should not be tolerated at OU. No matter how much you don't wanna see it, Coach Stoops is not the same as he was with Mike here. He's changed drasticly and that's too bad.

SoonerTerry
1/2/2007, 05:39 AM
Hey collie, pay attention, I said they were looking to the right and missed a call. I didn't say they cost us the game

arcman46
1/2/2007, 08:22 AM
I disagree and I can't understand why nobody is giving Boise the credit they deserve. This is a dang good team. Maybe we do beat them 9 times out of 10, but it's not as if we'd roll over them every time. That was a great team. We played our hearts out and they beat us. We didn't lose because of a lack of effort, we lost because *ahem*

BOISE STATE IS A VERY GOOD TEAM.

I agree BSU is a very good team, but at the same time we came out flat, and PT threw three unforced interceptions and fumbled the ball inside their twenty. Essentially that cost us 28 pts. As I said it in another post, KUDOS to BSU they deserved the win, we were outcoached, but, we also handed them the game on a silver platter. As with other games we have lost, you cannot continue to make stupid mistakes against good teams, and expect to win.:pop:

Eielson
1/2/2007, 08:29 AM

Paul Thompson got outplayed. :rolleyes:

otis
1/2/2007, 08:34 AM
the announcers talked about how big a gambler stoops is stoops has not gambled since mike left.

TMcGee86
1/2/2007, 08:53 AM
I dont know how we could have opened it up more. I seem to recall PT missing every single time we threw deep and the WR being open all those times, one of which was an INT.

I just cant put "not opening it up" on the coaches. If PT had touch on deep balls we win by 3-4 tds.

That being said I still love PT, its just a fact that he couldn't connect last night. Kelly being hurt probably contributed to that some.

Collier11
1/2/2007, 12:38 PM
we had several oppurtunities where a on-side kick or fake punt would have worked and nothing. How many times were we gonna try that reverse with AD lined up as a reciever, I dont know if stoops has the shackles on or Kw just is too conservative, but we need to do something. I remember kw's offense at NW being explosive??? That being said, great great game, great comeback, tough loss

GottaHavePride
1/2/2007, 12:46 PM
I agree BSU is a very good team, but at the same time we came out flat, and PT threw three unforced interceptions and fumbled the ball inside their twenty. Essentially that cost us 28 pts. As I said it in another post, KUDOS to BSU they deserved the win, we were outcoached, but, we also handed them the game on a silver platter. As with other games we have lost, you cannot continue to make stupid mistakes against good teams, and expect to win.:pop:

One of those was tipped. Not a great throw, but not entirely PT's fault.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/2/2007, 12:53 PM
Venables is getting better though, with the exception of the last 30 seconds of the game.

What should Brent have done to prevent the hook and ladder?

starrca23
1/2/2007, 12:59 PM
Ya, you guys are right, I don't know what Bob and Kevin were thinking. I mean, why would they tell Paul Thompson to underthrow guys that are wide open down the middle of the field? Calling for a fumble inside our own twenty wasn't smart either. Oh, and throwing to 6'7" Q. Chaney when he is being guarded by a guy who was every bit 5'9"? Idiots.

TheLlama
1/2/2007, 01:07 PM
Boise played a fantastic game. Paul made some big mistakes that ultimatly put 21 pts on their side of the board. The first half the Sooners didnt even show up. 2nd half we got the ball rollin in Sooner fashion but it was a little to late. The damage had been done and Boise was playing balls out everything on the line. They deserved to win that game, they played a better game of football last night than we did. (I still think we kick their *** 8 out of 10 times.) Their coach reminded me of stoops in 2000... Making gutshot calls and doing whatever it takes to get the W. Ill be surprised if he stays at Boise much longer... Hell if i was Alabama id be throwing him all sorts of money he couldnt refuse. But now that Boises been to a BCS game they can afford to bump his salary.

All in all. Great game. The ups and downs are what keep me watchin football. Between that and A&M this year i definatly needa beak for a few months. Looking forward to the 07 season. Boomer Sooner!!!

jwlynn64
1/2/2007, 01:10 PM
At the end of the game, the coin flip for overtime is what did us in.

We go first and score on the first play. It takes Boise probably 8 or nine plays to score (and just barely because we had pretty good coverage but the ball was thrown just right) and then they have the luxury of deciding to go for 2.

If the order had been reversed, Boise would have most definitly gone for 1 just like we did.

The reason they went for 2 was because they saw that OU was starting to play better while they were having to work harder for their yards.

I also agree that Pauls play cost us momentum and Malcome Kelly. If he throws the ball correctly, Kelly gets the TD and does not suffer the concussion.

Remembering Tom Stidham
1/2/2007, 01:34 PM
Our defense was overated pre-season, in-season, and post-season. Our inability to pressure their quarterback wass shocking. We need a new defensive coordinator and secondary coach. We must find some stud defensive tackles.

We all know that Paul Thompson does not have a touch on his passing. He lines his throws. But losing our best pass receiver was a mortal blow.

I am not angry over the loss. I am upset over the way we played.

OUTromBoNado
1/2/2007, 01:42 PM
I agree completely it could be a helluva lot worse. That goes without saying. However the continuing defensive busts meltdowns and painful losses in BIG games, and this was a big game, is getting old. I don't think Stoops is to blame directly but I do believe this is quite possibley the weakest coaching staff he's had. I don't see these guys churning out a NC year. I do think it is a Lloyd Carr situation. 11-3, 10-4 are great if you're Michigan, but melting down in big games, in important games, should not be tolerated at OU. No matter how much you don't wanna see it, Coach Stoops is not the same as he was with Mike here. He's changed drasticly and that's too bad.

Do you know why we have these breakdowns in big games, particularly bowl games? It's because we play teams of much higher quality than anything we've seen during the entire Big 12 season. We see a completely different style of football than what we see in the Big 12. So, what we are used to isn't there anymore. Yes, we should be able to adapt and overcome, but that's another wrinkle of the game combined the higher quality team that we have to work around.

I mean, let's face it. IMO, Boise is probably the #1 or #2 best team we've faced this year. I think they probably rank above Texas and tied or below Nebraska.

Please for the love of God, quit focusing on the one game. Look at the success of this season as a whole. So, you say that having a 10+ win season but losing the bowl game is unacceptable. Whatever. Unless your playing for the National Championship, that bowl game is one game from an entire season. Yes, you'll always be remembered for that last game, but it shouldn't take away from the great success the team had this season.

I want everyone to be honest here. I know it's hard, but please try. How many of you actually thought, not considered the possibility, but knew in your heart beyond a shadow of a doubt, that after we got jobbed in Oregon, outgained Texas everywhere but the scoreboard, and having AD break his collarbone, that we would win the Big 12 title and play in a BCS bowl.

I wish some people would at least give the coaching staff credit on at least that. Is there something missing since Mike Stoops left? Yes. It's attitude. Plain and simple, we don't have intensity (as a team) anymore. We have a few individuals that are always fired up. AD and Rufus are two examples. How many times did we see AD going nuts on the sideline with his arm in a sling?

Collier11
1/2/2007, 04:26 PM
Ya, you guys are right, I don't know what Bob and Kevin were thinking. I mean, why would they tell Paul Thompson to underthrow guys that are wide open down the middle of the field? Calling for a fumble inside our own twenty wasn't smart either. Oh, and throwing to 6'7" Q. Chaney when he is being guarded by a guy who was every bit 5'9"? Idiots.

No one is debating that Pt didnt play well and he missed some oppurtunities, but we still got outcoached

MissouriSooner
1/2/2007, 09:41 PM
What should Brent have done to prevent the hook and ladder?
I'd suggest telling the guy who was covering the "ladder" receiver: "Stay with the guy all the way through his route." If he's covered throughout the route, he gets tackled before he reaches the endzone. Poor execution and poor coaching. Venables ain't Mike Stoops.

LittleWingSooner
1/2/2007, 10:02 PM
I don't think coaching matters on that play. They just came up with a great call. Mike Stoops wouldn't have mattered there. Our defense gave up 2 TDs outside of that play and shut BSU out for the rest of the half. They were on a 4th and 18 play there which made that play even more unlikely because the defense was looking to stop first downs there.

Collier11
1/2/2007, 10:28 PM
I'd suggest telling the guy who was covering the "ladder" receiver: "Stay with the guy all the way through his route." If he's covered throughout the route, he gets tackled before he reaches the endzone. Poor execution and poor coaching. Venables ain't Mike Stoops.

YOu are rediculous, wasnt mike the D-coordinator when we got beat by LSU in the natl title game, wasnt he the D-coordinator in the K-state game where we got thrashed by bad tackling, wasnt he the d-coordinator in the reggie mcneal debacle. A coach can only do so much, the players have to trust in that and play there position correctly. Mike was great but to say that Brent isnt would be a lie. He may not be the best d-coordinator in cfb, but he is def. in the top 10 to 15 out there, hands down!!!

OUTromBoNado
1/2/2007, 10:53 PM
YOu are rediculous, wasnt mike the D-coordinator when we got beat by LSU in the natl title game...

Actually, he wasn't. Mike Stoops took the Arizona job over the Thanksgiving holiday. He came back to coach the Big 12 Championship, then left. He served as some kind of "defensive consultant" during the Sugar Bowl. I really doubt he had much to do with calling any of the defense during the Sugar Bowl.

Collier11
1/2/2007, 10:59 PM
Thats right, but he was there for that big 12 game. My only point being that no coach is perfect. I think Mike was better with his blitzes because we are horrible at getting pressure on the qb anymore

SoonerTerry
1/3/2007, 04:25 AM
I get the feeling that collier11 aint gonna be happy unless we win every game 77-0 :rolleyes:

SoonerFaninAZ
1/3/2007, 10:10 AM

Really? Even at the expense of not tacking the guy with the ball.

Player:But, coach, I was trying to tackle the guy with the ball to prevent a first down and win the game.

CoachMissouriSooner:I DON'T CARE! I TOLD YOU TO FOLLOW YOUR GUY ALL THE WAY THROUGH HIS ROUTE!

SoonerTerry
1/3/2007, 10:20 AM
Really? Even at the expense of not tacking the guy with the ball.

Player:But, coach, I was trying to tackle the guy with the ball to prevent a first down and win the game.

CoachMissouriSooner:I DON'T CARE! I TOLD YOU TO FOLLOW YOUR GUY ALL THE WAY THROUGH HIS ROUTE!

SPEK........:D :D

Collier11
1/3/2007, 12:15 PM
I get the feeling that collier11 aint gonna be happy unless we win every game 77-0 :rolleyes:

Where did you get that from, ive said over and over again that while I was disappointed in the outcome and some of the playcalling that I am proud of our team. Actually I was just defending venables and not dogging our team, try reading what I actually wrote