PDA

View Full Version : Michigan and USC...

BASSooner
1/1/2007, 05:12 PM
since when did both teams win 11 national titles?
:confused:

sooner518
1/1/2007, 05:13 PM
ha I had the same question. between Michigan and USC's 22 titles and Bammer's 804356 titles, Im not sure how anyone else ever wins it!

OUinFLA
1/1/2007, 05:30 PM
ha I had the same question. between Michigan and USC's 22 titles and Bammer's 804356 titles, Im not sure how anyone else ever wins it!

well, if anyone else does, bama is kinda forced to split it with them.

jrsooner
1/1/2007, 06:58 PM
Michigan's 11?? Take it for what it's worth, but this is what I found on the internet just a short time ago. Since I thought the 11 sounded funny also. I would assume SuC's would be just about the same.
From http://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/football/misc/natchamp.htm

1) 1901: Michigan and Harvard recognized as National Champions
UM recognized by: Billingsley, Helms, Houlgate, National Championship Foundation
Harvard recognized by; College Football Research Association
Yale recognized by: Parke Davis
2) 1902: Michigan recognized as National Champion
UM recognized by: Billingsley, Helms, Houlgate, National Championship Foundation, Parke Davis (tie with Yale)
3) 1903: Michigan and Princeton recognized as National Champions
UM recognized by: Billingsley, National Championship Foundation (tie with Princeton)
Princeton recognized by: Helms, Houlgate, Parke Davis, National Championship Foundation ]
4) 1904: Michigan and Penn recognized as National Champions
UM recognized by: Billingsley, National Championship Foundation (tie with Penn)
Penn recognized by: Helms, Houlgate, Parke Davis, National Championship Foundation (tie)
5) 1918: Michigan and Pittsburgh recognized as National Champions
UM recognized by: Billingsley, National Championship Foundation (tie with Pittsburgh)
Pittsburgh recognized by: Helms, Houlgate, National Championship Foundation (tie)
6) 1923: Michigan and Illinois recognized as National Champions
UM recognized by: Billingsley, National Championship Foundation (tie with Illinois)
California recognized by: Houlgate
Illinois recognized by: Boand, Football Research, Helms, Parke Davis, National Championship Foundation (tie)
7) 1932: Michigan and Southern California recognized as National Champions
UM recognized by: Dickinson, Parke Davis (tie with Colgate and Southern California)
Colgate recognized by Parke Davis (tie)
Southern California recognized by: Billingsley, Boand, Dunkel, Football Research, Helms, Houlgate, National Championship Foundation, Parke Davis, (tie), Poling, Williamson
8) 1933: Michigan recognized as National Champion
UM recognized by: Billingsley, Boand, College Football Research Association, Dickinson, Helms, Houlgate, Football Research, National Championship Foundation, Parke Davis (tie with Princeton), Poling
Ohio State recognized by: Dunkel
Princeton recognized by: Parke Davis (tie)
Southern California recognized by: Williamson
9) 1947: Michigan recognized as National Champion
Notre Dame recognized by: Associated Press Helms (tie), Williamson
*Notre Dame was No. 1 in the final AP poll, but Michigan jumped to No. 1 after an unprecedented post-bowl poll Michigan and Notre Dame recognized as National Champions
10) 1948: Michigan recognized as National Champion
UM recognized by: Associated Press, Berryman, Billingsley, Boand, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, Helms, Houlgate, Litkenhous, National Championship Foundation, Poling, Williamson
11) 1997: Michigan and Nebraska recognized as National Champion
UM recognized by: Associated Press, National Football Foundation, Football Writer's Association
Nebraska recognized by: ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll

jrsooner
1/1/2007, 07:07 PM
Found this finally on Wikipedia. I couldn't find one mention of it on the school's website. Once agein...it seems like reaching a little bit.

National Titles
USC's 2004 BCS National Championship TrophyUSC holds 11 national titles, although two are contested. Since the NCAA does not conduct a playoff in Division 1-A football, there is no official national champion. The NCAA does have a list of polls, computer systems and others that are often used to attempt to determine National Champions. Because there is no playoff there are often disputes over who really has won the National Championship. Some years there are undisputed champions (where one school is ranked number one in all the polls), other years there are consensus champions (when one school clearly has been ranked number one in most of the polls) and some years there are split or shared championships (where two or more schools are ranked number one in major polls) In the case of USC, few dispute nine of the national championship it claims to have won. Two of the championships - 1928 and 1939 - have been challenged by some sports historians. In both cases USC bases its claim on winning the Dickinson System, a formula devised by a University of Illinois professor which awarded the only championship trophy between 1926 and 1940. In both these years, Dickinson was the only poll or system to rank the Trojans number one. USC's stance, however, is in keeping with that of most other schools which won the Dickinson title; only Notre Dame, which won the Dickinson crown in 1938, does not claim a major national title for that year. Since at least 1969, USC had not listed 1939 as a national championship year; but in 2004, USC once again began recognizing the 1939 team as national champions after it determined that it qualified [1] [2].

Here are the years USC has been national champions:

1928 Dickinson poll (many sports historians consider Georgia Tech to have won the national championship this year)
1931 Consensus national champion
1932 Consensus national champion
1939 Dickinson poll (many sports historians consider Texas A&M to have won the national championship this year)
1962 Consensus national champion
1967 Consensus national champion
1972 Consensus national champion
1974 UPI national champion (Oklahoma won the AP national championship)
1978 UPI national champion (Alabama won the AP national championship)
2003 AP national champion (LSU won the BCS national championship)
2004 Consensus national champion

TUSooner
1/1/2007, 07:24 PM
I think Henne has been sacked so many times they quit counting.

TUSooner
1/1/2007, 07:28 PM
I don't care a heckuva lot about this game, but I was kinda hoping Michigan would win. This collapse is pretty much what I expected, though. It confirms my opinion that Michigan did not deserve a rematch with Ohio St.

OUinFLA
1/1/2007, 07:33 PM
I am pulling for Florida to win that game.
That should settle the discussion.

Of course, no matter who wins, Bama will have a share of the MNC

TUSooner
1/1/2007, 07:45 PM
well well TD Mich.

TUSooner
1/1/2007, 07:57 PM
well well another TD USC