PDA

View Full Version : SEC "speed"......

mightysooner
1/1/2007, 01:43 PM
Anyone else tired of hearing the college football lemming media constantly gush over the "SEC speed"? Apparently they have more speed than anybody else in the land, which they just said, because SEC players are biologically superior to everybody else it would seem. I don't see any glaring speed differential when I watch them play. The commentators have been gushing over Auburn's speed all game and they don't look any faster than Nebraska to me. It was humorous that the commentators said Nebraska was asked if they'd seen any speed like Auburn's all year long before the game and they said "yeah.......USC and Oklahoma".

SEC faster than everybody else? What say you?

SoonerLB
1/1/2007, 01:55 PM
SEC = most over rated conference in America!

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2007, 01:59 PM
http://newlifecentersf.com/img/meth.jpgYup SEC has speed.

mightysooner
1/1/2007, 01:59 PM
SEC = most over rated conference in America!

My sentiments exactly. Seems like we've arrived at the point where analysts are just regurgitating popular theory whether there's any evidence of it or not.

OzarkSooner
1/1/2007, 02:04 PM
I heard that comment too and thought, "WHY make a ridiculous comment that is virtually impossible to back up?" Goes to show you these guys are just looking for something to say...and almost anything will do. Bah!

Rogue
1/1/2007, 02:07 PM
Not top to bottom, but the top teams in the SEC (Florida, Auburn, Georgia, and Tennessee) have speed. Watching Tennessee and Penn St. I'm more impressed with Penn. St.'s speed on defense right now.

mightysooner
1/1/2007, 02:40 PM
LOL....anybody hear the Penn State running back dissin' the SEC in his post game interview? He said "people said we couldn't matchup with their speed or with an SEC team. I never got the impression they wanted to tackle me. We just kept running the same play over and over and they knew we were coming and they still couldn't stop us. We didn't feel like they could match up with our toughness". LOL........SEC speed huh?

OhU1
1/1/2007, 03:08 PM
When people talk about the speed of Florida football talent or southern football "speed" is a euphemism for "black". Not that they are intentionally using the euphemism.

Same with the old announcer cliche "you can't teach that". That phrase is only used when a black player makes a great play. It is meant as a compliment. I have never heard an announcer say "you can't teach that" when a white guy makes a great play.

TUSooner
1/1/2007, 03:13 PM
My sentiments exactly. Seems like we've arrived at the point where analysts are just regurgitating popular theory whether there's any evidence of it or not.
SEC = Definitey Overrated, and the media ARE a bunch of parrots. The ancient Oriental saying is proved true again: One dog barks at nothing; the rest bark at him.
SEC was the flavor of the Koolaid this season, and unfortunately, the SEC has not yet gotten its much needed reality check.

PDXsooner
1/1/2007, 03:17 PM
nebraska gift-wrapped two of those TD's, and looked like the better team to me...

SoonerDood
1/1/2007, 03:22 PM
nebraska gift-wrapped two of those TD's, and looked like the better team to me...
but Tubberville isn't as dumb as Callahan.

OUmillenium
1/1/2007, 03:27 PM
SEC has not looked too dominant so far. Anybody got the conference bowl win/loss breakdown up to date?

jrsooner
1/1/2007, 03:32 PM
Apparently they have more speed than anybody else in the land, which they just said, because SEC players are biologically superior to everybody else it would seem.
SEC faster than everybody else? What say you?

Saw this guy playing running back at Auburn...
http://www.carlcritchlow.com/Resources/flash.jpg

A pic of Alabama's wide receivers...
http://members.cox.net/nowlanink/flash.jpg

This guy has had plenty of playing time at LSU...
http://www.titanstower.com/assets/whos%20who/aamembers/whoswho80/kidflashwho.jpg

Man...I wish 7 pm would get here!

SoonerLB
1/1/2007, 04:20 PM
Auburn didn't really win that game, Nebraska lost it.
I was starting to wonder if Nebraska had Chuck Long calling plays in the 4th quarter, 'cause I thought the play calling was horrible.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/1/2007, 05:17 PM
And Wisconsin, despite being held to minus yards in rushing, finds a way to beat Arkansas, just to keep that "overrated" SEC banter going.