PDA

View Full Version : Denver Player killed in a driveby last night

BajaOklahoma
1/1/2007, 08:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16427371/

DENVER - Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver early Monday morning, police said.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. Mountain time from the scene of the shooting and told him three people had been shot and that Williams had been killed.

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization. "Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away. A terrible tragedy," Saccomano said.

Hours before the shooting, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime, eliminating them from the playoff race.

The 24-year-old Fort Worth, Texas, native was a star cornerback at Fort Worth's O.D. Wyatt High School before his four-year career at Oklahoma State, where he was a 2003 All-Big 12 selection.

The Denver Broncos made him their second-round pick, 56th overall, in the 2005 NFL Draft. He remained an off-season Fort Worth resident.

Sad.

SoonerDood
1/1/2007, 08:46 AM
`

jk the sooner fan
1/1/2007, 08:47 AM
I wonder if OSU fans will care considering he left them on not-so-good terms.

dude.....he was killed......be nice

Newbomb Turk
1/1/2007, 08:54 AM
wow - that's terrible.

Crimsontothecore
1/1/2007, 08:57 AM
Anybody know why he was in downtown Denver at that late hour? Just curious if this was a random drive-by and he just happened to be there...or did he lead that Prentiss Elliot lifestyle?

jk the sooner fan
1/1/2007, 09:15 AM
hmm, it WAS new years eve.....how odd that anybody would be out and about on that nite/morning...

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 09:56 AM
that's terrible.

SoonerShark
1/1/2007, 10:18 AM
You would think that many would be out at that hour on New Years so there may be more witnesses out than normally associated with that late hour. However, the weather might limit the revelers some. How sad for his family.

SoonerShark
1/1/2007, 10:20 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/2993430

Broncos' Darrent Williams Is Shot Dead

DENVER (AP) -- Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver early Monday morning.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. from the scene of the shooting and told him three people had been shot and that Williams had been killed.

A little after 2 a.m., a white Hummer limousine was sprayed with bullets from a vehicle that pulled up along its side, said Sonny Jackson, spokesperson for the Denver Police Department.

Three people in the limousine were hit and were taken to area hospitals, where one man was pronounced dead, Jackson said. The other man and woman who were shot were not identified.

Jackson said police were searching for the suspects and interviewing witnesses.

"We have no motive yet," Jackson said. "We're hoping to talk with witnesses to find out where they were coming from, and that might give us some clues."

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization.

"Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away. A terrible tragedy," Saccomano said.

Hours before the shooting, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime, eliminating them from the playoff race.

The 24-year-old Williams finished the season with 88 tackles, 78 of them solo, and four interceptions.

On Sunday against the 49ers, he had three tackles and returned two punts for 50 yards before leaving the game with a shoulder injury late in the second half.

Williams, a second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State in 2005, made an immediate impact on the Broncos, starting nine times in his rookie season following a stellar career at Oklahoma State, where he totaled 11 interceptions and scored three touchdowns on punt returns.

Players and coaches are off Monday. They were scheduled to meet Tuesday before heading home for the offseason.

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 10:34 AM
they are saying here the shooting/murder was at 10th and Grant, that's not a bad part of town (some suburbanites might disagree out of a wee bit of ignorance, but i've lived near there it's a funky, older neighborhood southeast of downtown).....it's not a plushy suburb but it's hardly where you'd expect a shooting. i'd guess it wasn't an accident that Williams is dead, sadly.

edit: there can be some sketchy stuff around there for sure--towards Colfax, say; but it's mostly a student neighborhood for UC-Denver and Metro State. it's not a proverbial "gangland" neighborhood. the recycling containers in the alleys are mostly full of Sierra Nevada and Fat Tire empties....

Boomhauer
1/1/2007, 10:38 AM
It was said in the ESPN article that he was planning on going down to Ft Worth and talking with school kids to stay out of gangs. Maybe this had something to do with it!

sendbaht
1/1/2007, 10:40 AM
RIP. Sad day for his familly.

Crimsontothecore
1/1/2007, 10:51 AM
hmm, it WAS new years eve.....how odd that anybody would be out and about on that nite/morning...
Ok, let me rephrase that. I was wondering if he was the intended target or just caught in the crossfire. I mean, I was out late last night too but I didn't get shot at.

GrapevineSooner
1/1/2007, 11:17 AM
Prayers to his family.

picasso
1/1/2007, 11:20 AM
terrible news. he was a tough little football player, a good one too.

sounds like one of those wrong place wrong time deals, or perhaps his crew was to blame.

sooner518
1/1/2007, 11:27 AM
yikes. 10th and Grant is definitely not a bad area. I, along with half of Denver was about half a mile away from there last night on the 16th Street Mall. That's really terrible.

EDIT: I just read an article stating that it was on Speer between 10th and 11th. Speer is one of the biggest streets in Denver.

batonrougesooner
1/1/2007, 11:44 AM
Anybody know why he was in downtown Denver at that late hour? Just curious if this was a random drive-by and he just happened to be there...or did he lead that Prentiss Elliot lifestyle?

He was in Limo living a New Year's Eve lifestyle.

Rhino
1/1/2007, 11:50 AM
Man, that's terrible.

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 11:51 AM
he used to have a radio show/live at a local pub on the local sports station, KKFN. i stopped listening to KKFN about a year ago.....so, i've never heard it....but, he was apparently a guy that the local media thought was a pretty great guy.

the_ouskull
1/1/2007, 11:54 AM
What's really terrible is that 1) Denver didn't cover yesterday, and 2) They lost, hereby taking themselves out of playoff contention. I REALLY hope that neither of those played a role in what happened. I can't imagine what things would / will be like if something that sad comes out in the wash.

the_ouskull

MamaMia
1/1/2007, 12:12 PM
Thats so sad. Losing a member of your family at any time is rough but losing someone at such a young age, and during the holidays is especially rough. That happened to our family 5 years ago. The New Year has never been the same since. :(

OSUAggie
1/1/2007, 12:22 PM
I wonder if OSU fans will care considering he left them on not-so-good terms.

Yah, OSU fans care. Jackass. Tatum was really shaken up on Cold Pizza.

Dio
1/1/2007, 12:36 PM
Tatum was really shaken up on Cold Pizza.

Cold Pizza, huh? I'm surprised Skip Brayass wasn't blaming this on Stoops.

Prayers to Williams' family & team.

StoopTroup
1/1/2007, 12:39 PM
Yah, OSU fans care. Jackass. Tatum was really shaken up on Cold Pizza.
He was warned...

There's no need for you trying to straighten him out.

We take care of OUr own here.

Sad news.

It hurts us gun owners when idiots do these things...

I can't imagine that being a hit on him for being anti-gang...hopefully they'll catch the ones that did this....

TUSooner
1/1/2007, 12:51 PM
Very sad. I hope this is not a sign that we now have South America-type fans who show their disapproval for on-field performance by shooting players.

soonermeteor
1/1/2007, 01:08 PM
Im a Bronco fan and am horrified and deeply saddened. I really hope the results of the game yesterday had nothing to do with this because it would make it so much sicker than it already is.

He was given a hard time this year for "blowing coverages", but he was a little guy who always tried his hardest. It was probably very tough living under the shadow of champ bailey and our defensive schemes often gave him no chance. He did end the year with 4 interceptions including one last week during the cincy game in the endzone. Even yesterday he had one tackle with a guy twice his size where he held on until he got him down. He was just a kid playing is heart out and now unfortunately his life is over .......:(

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 01:08 PM
some new info i've been hearing up here in CO: they are moving the site of the shooting to 11th and Speer....which makes a lot more sense than residential 10th and Grant. apparently Javon Walker was in the car with Darrent and they had got into and argument with some guys at a bar near there.

StoopTroup
1/1/2007, 01:14 PM
Not good then...

soonermeteor
1/1/2007, 02:09 PM
some new info i've been hearing up here in CO: they are moving the site of the shooting to 11th and Speer....which makes a lot more sense than residential 10th and Grant. apparently Javon Walker was in the car with Darrent and they had got into and argument with some guys at a bar near there.

I dont know if its completely confirmed, but they are saying on the local stations that was in the limo but not injured. In fact they say 15-16 people were in the limo, with another man and women getting injured. The man was not a Broncos player.

sooner518
1/1/2007, 02:13 PM
http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=ddbae1db-0abe-421a-0000-ccc74fa58796&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

To summarize:
16 people in the limo. Javon Walker and Williams were the only players in the limo. 1 man and 1 woman suffered minor injuries. At least 10 shots were fired into the limo.

mightysooner
1/1/2007, 02:18 PM
Wasn't Williams a big time team cancer on OSU and a major THUG? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 02:20 PM
Prentiss Elliot maybe. i've never heard anything bad about DW here in Denver....and like i said above....he had a radio show. I can't speak to his career at OSU, but i doubt it.

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 02:22 PM
10 shots. my lord.

batonrougesooner
1/1/2007, 02:23 PM
this is so feak'n senseless.

mightysooner
1/1/2007, 02:27 PM
Prentiss Elliot maybe. i've never heard anything bad about DW here in Denver....and like i said above....he had a radio show. I can't speak to his career at OSU, but i doubt it.

Seems like I remember him getting in some trouble at OSU and being known for hanging out with gangs. Absolutely senseless.......I'll never understand it.

Boomer.....
1/1/2007, 03:04 PM
Horrible. Very sad, no matter who he played for in college. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

TUSooner
1/1/2007, 03:45 PM
Attitude + guns = murder.
I blame Muhammad Ali.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2007, 04:05 PM
that secondary has had 2 people have their lives shortened. vernon grant also died in a car crash. i'm just warning you now to be classy or i'll give you a month off to learn what that means. mighty has already been sent to the showers.

Sooner_Bob
1/1/2007, 06:26 PM
very, very sad . . . RIP DW.

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 06:30 PM
more on what i'm hearing here local: DW and Javon Walker were leaving Carmelo Anthony's NYE party and had an argument with "gang members"--it's unclear whether this was a private invitation party (would make the shooters easier to find) or at a public downtown bar with a private section.

at least 10 shots were fired at the vehicle. another man and woman in the limo were injured, DW died in Javon Walker's arms.

picasso
1/1/2007, 06:39 PM
freaking terrible. it makes me sick at my stomach really.

people scoff @ our current popular culture but this is the route we're heading down.

poke4christ
1/1/2007, 06:54 PM
I spent last summer living in Denver (Just east of Down town off of Colfax) and though it has some problems, I don't really see it as having a lot of gang violence. Concerning DW himself, we don't really know that much about him personally to say either way. I know he didn't play in the bowl game his senior year for some reason, but I never heard about any other problems. If he was about to talk to school kids about staying out of gangs, then that says something.

From what I can tell, it doesn't seem like he was targeted. Assuming he the limo was closed off, it would be weird to try to take him out with 16 other people in the car. However, we know so little right now that there's really no way to tell. Let's all just hope for the best and be respectful (just as you all already have been).

Also, brovo to everyone here in dealing with this subject. Very classy.

Zach

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 07:05 PM
denver post: Kenyon Martin party, not Anthony. way to go K-Mart, nice statement.....*******.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4931937

Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin said that Broncos and Nuggets players were at the Shelter nightclub at 1037 Broadway for a birthday party for him and to celebrate New Year's Eve. Williams' name was on a flyer advertising the party, according to Martin.

"Celebrate with the home team at the Safari New Year's Eve bash at The Shelter," the flyer said. "Denver Broncos Tatum Bell, D.J. Williams, Darrent Williams, and Brandon Marshall host the party along with Denver Nuggets J.R. Smith and DerMarr Johnson; DJ Chief Rocka of The Radio Bums holds down the turntables."

Martin said he and several other Nuggets players left the nightclub before midnight, before any problems arose.

"I was there. He was there. I left. I saw him. That was about the extent of it," Martin said Monday. "It is what it is. It's an unfortunate thing."

There was a disagreement between two groups of people at the nightclub, Jackson said. It is unclear whether any of the pro football and basketball players were involved in the dispute.

picasso
1/1/2007, 07:21 PM
seriously, how tough a guy are you to pull a gun on someone? fighting is stupid enough but to actually shoot someone in the name of bad ***?

I'm not talking about self defense or home invasion here. I'm talking about the dumb****s that reach for the glove box or their pants if someone disses them.

"shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...":rolleyes: