PDA

View Full Version : Bama Preview: by the numbers

Ash
1/1/2007, 12:14 AM
Here's a stats preview for the Bammer game:

Their starting five includes a pretty impressive frontcourt featuring Jermareo Davidson, 6'10" 220 lb senior forward, who's in the top twenty in the nation in rebounds per game. He's also 6th in the nation averaging 4 blocks a game.

He and sophomore Richard Hendrix (6'8", 265) are the big reasons that Bama, as a team, is 4th nationally in rebounding. Hendrix is also averaging just above 20 pts. per game and 68% from the field. Davidson is just short of averaging a double-double this season.

This is worrisome for the Sooners with their thin frontcourt.

Bama usually starts four forwards, with A. Gee and M. Riley filling the other two forward spots. Both average double figure points and 5+ rebounds per game.

The starting gaurd is Ronnie Steele. The 6'3" Junior is averaging 10.7 pts and 4.7 assists with 2.1 TOs per game.

B. Hollinger (5'11", 170) seems to be the other key backcourt player.

They go about 9 or 10 deep in the rotation for most games. There appears to be a real drop off in productivity with the bench players, though. Clearly the strength of this team are the starting forwards who provide the bulk of the scoring and defensive presence.

It will be interesting to see if Bama toys with their rotation and plays small ball to match up with the Sooners or if they try to overpower OU.

Key wins (so far): at So. Miss and at NC State

Their only loss on the year was at Notre Dame where they shot 42% from the field and couldn't find the range from 3. They also turned it over 16 times. They still out rebounded ND 45:32.

I see this team providing a lot of match up problems for the Sooners. On-the-ball defense, taking care of the ball, and being able to hit jumpers is clearly going to be huge for the Sooners.

birddog
1/1/2007, 01:49 AM
i would feel alot better if this game was at home.

is it a monday night game on espn? it would be a good filler for the fball game.

after watching bama bball for the last couple of years, the one thing i noticed is they can look like world beaters or naia'ers. very inconsistent. if we can continue to play stout d ( a game in the 50's would help us alot) and avoid foul trouble we will have a chance.

i wish we hadn't lost moose because even though he wasn't lighting it up, he gave our bigguns a chance to be fresh late in the game.

Ash
1/1/2007, 02:13 AM
i would feel alot better if this game was at home.

is it a monday night game on espn? it would be a good filler for the fball game.

after watching bama bball for the last couple of years, the one thing i noticed is they can look like world beaters or naia'ers. very inconsistent. if we can continue to play stout d ( a game in the 50's would help us alot) and avoid foul trouble we will have a chance.

i wish we hadn't lost moose because even though he wasn't lighting it up, he gave our bigguns a chance to be fresh late in the game.

I agree with you on all counts. I'd also add that they're usually a very athletic team. I don't see how OU can match up with them man to man, so I'm thinking the gameplan will be to try and get them out of their comfort zone somehow.

ND beat them, basically, by turning them over and shooting lights out.

This is a long shot for the Sooners, to say the least. but it will be interesting to see how they do.

The game is at 1:30 central time

Spray
1/1/2007, 04:53 AM
Here's a number: We lose by 45.

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 09:43 AM
if we play well i think you'll see one of our typical losses (even with KS)....where we get down by double digits hang around but never really get back in the game completely or go down 20 and then claw back to about 10-12 and the score looks closer than the game was (i.e., Memphis this year).

barring a breakout 30 point night from Neal (say), i just don't think we can score enough to combat their size and athleticism inside. and minus Moose, that's 5 less fouls to give.

oh well, it's a work in progress and will only help our resolve down the road in conference opponents' gyms (we hope).

unless, it's *** thumping of major proportions and complete confidence annihilator like UCONN in 03 that has up limping and broken into conference play

Ash
1/1/2007, 12:12 PM

very insightful

Okieflyer
1/1/2007, 01:37 PM

Very possible.

I wish I could be more positive about this team. Help me be more positive!:(

Ash
1/1/2007, 01:53 PM
Very possible.

I wish I could be more positive about this team. Help me be more positive!:(

Losing by 45 is a ridiculous number. I pretty much chalked this one up as a loss, especially after Moose went down with an injury.

But there's no reason the Sooners can't compete if they play well. And who knows, every team lays an egg once in a while...but I doubt it.

The match-ups favor Bama and OU doesn't have an answer.

Okieflyer
1/1/2007, 01:56 PM
We don't an answer. I was hoping Neal would be the guy. He hasn't really lit it up yet. Hopefully he get a groove today. I would like to see a close one.