PDA

View Full Version : How do you take your toffee? A Pole!

StoopTroup
12/31/2006, 11:45 PM
Do they really still make it these days?

Preservation Parcels
1/1/2007, 01:34 AM
Chocolate Pecan Toffee

2 cups pecans (For real pecan lovers. Fewer pecans or no pecans will work, too)
1 stick of real butter
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 cup of chopped chocolate pieces or chocolate chips (Half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate works well. For toffee purists, omit both chocolate and pecans.)

Toast the pecans. Chop them roughly. Spread half on a buttered cookie sheet with sides.

Boil butter and brown sugar together in a nonstick saucepan, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches hard crack stage (approximately 15 minutes over medium heat.) At first, it will be bubbly and light brown. As it gets closer to being ready, it becomes smoother and darker brown.

Quickly drizzle the toffee onto the chopped pecans. Shake the pan gently to spread it out, but don't spread with the mixing spoon or it will become sugary later.

After about 3 minutes, score the toffee with a buttered pizza cutter or knife.

Spread the chocolate over the top, and let it melt from the residual heat of the toffee. After about 5 minutes, smooth it with a spatula or knife.

Sprinkle the remaining pecans evenly over the chocolate and press them in.

When cooled and the chocolate is set, break along the scored lines. Store in an airtight tin or glass container, not in plastic.

Incredible stuff, and I make it every Christmas.

Tailwind
1/1/2007, 01:38 AM
I make mine with walnuts. Yummmmmmmmm!

Rogue
1/1/2007, 02:00 AM
Copycat poles are the best!

King Crimson
1/1/2007, 12:57 PM
my mom made some a couple years ago. it was pretty good with a little chocolate and crumbled pecans.